Twelve

Trickling Red

Soojin imagined her mother lifting her hand, palm opened ready to slap her. She gasped, bracing for the impact. When she mentally feel it against her cheek, she winced. Guilt washed over her as she rubbed her arms, keeping goosebumps from rising.

Her hand grasped a paper — a Zygous leaflet. She had received it the other day while passing by the area. She knew that she was not that capable in handling her tolerance for liquor well enough to even walk into the store whereby champagnes and wines were served most of the time. However, her urge to want to feel a different kind of love even though it was faked overpowered her sensible self.
 
She stood before the front doors of the host club, her body tingling with apprehension as well as anticipation. Her face was caked in make-up to hide her age. It was her first time applying so much cosmetics. Her eyes too deep of a shade to give her a more seductive outlook then anyone of her age. Her lips too glossy to demand a kiss from any lustful men.
 
She felt uncomfortable, more so that when every schoolmate ignored her existence. Yet, she felt the need to do so. The make-up made her feel that she was more of a confident and firm adult rather than a timid teenager. She would not want to stay cautious around the hosts during her stay there, afraid that they might take advantage of her being weak. She wanted to let her guard down and enjoy company. Hosts usually caused the indecisive patrons to pay for the finest wines and pastries. 
 
She knew that she was inviting trouble yet she wanted to do this. With a face covered in make-up, she stepped through the doors.
 
"Welcome to Zygous, Miss," a host said, giving a bright smile.
 
She noted his name. Donghae, that was what the name tag showed. Donghae pressed his palm to the small of her back, escorting her to a table. Soojin took in a deep breath.
 
"Is there a specific host you would like, Miss?" Donghae asked, gesturing her to take a seat.
 
"Am I supposed to choose?" she questioned, appearing a little dumbfounded but she managed to keep her emotions in.
 
Donghae chuckled, "You..."
 
Soojin gasped. It must have been her shifty glances that gave away her identity!
 
"It's your first time here, isn't it?" 
 
Placing her hand to her chest in hope to slow down her heartbeats, she heaved a sigh of relief.
 
Answering a question with a question. What a way to make her choke on her saliva. Stuttering, she admitted, "Y-yes..."
 
The host laughed again.
 
"Very well. I shall be at your service tonight," he offered, revealing another pleasant smile.
 
Two hours later, she left after footing the bill. She had taken out all her savings for this night. A little tipsy, she gazed at the night sky thinking that it was worth it.
 
Little did she know that she was being followed.
 
Yunho had been watching her for a very long time. Youth was written all over her face, screaming out that her blood would definitely be a lovely treat. He watched as she exited the store. He followed her. Having a break at the host club was enough of a reason to leave for a short while.
 
She was not a regular customer and she refused to give her name and contact number to the clerk. Chances of the police noticing that she, a victim of his, appeared at his work place before her death were unlikely.
 
From afar, his eyes met hers. He managed to divert her away from the crowd and into a deserted area which is none other than one of alleyways he used to carry out his deeds.
 
He stalked toward her. His arms gently coiled around her waist, spinning her around. He stared right through her clouded eyes and invaded her mind, finding her weakness. He shut his eyes and took in what he saw through his mind's eyes.
 
Loneliness. Loneliness, it spoke. She needed love so badly. 
 
Shocked, he jumped back and vapourised into thin air, leaving the girl to her own devices. He let her go.
 
He did not know a way to comfort the human to prevent her from yelping in pain when he impaled his fangs into her soft flesh. He would not risk to attract any attention. He had been lonely too, one way or the other. Meeting a friend fifty-five years ago after living for almost six centuries did not do much to diminish the seclusion he had. Love... He had not met enough acquaintances to feel that anyone of them was the right one.
 
With a flap of his clothes, he emerged from the dark somewhere near the host club. 
 
When Yunho realised that he was detected, he went towards the person at a remarkable speed.
 
As he passed, the man felt the brush of his coat against his arm. His skin prickled, all his hair on his skin standing up with a faint static. 
 
Yunho gave one glance to the side, his eyes glowing, catching the passerby's eyes. He looked at the person square in the eyes for a split second, attempting to send the man away as soon as possible. 'Be gone' was his instruction.
 
"Good riddance, a cop!" the vampire realised and his nose flared.
 
Jaejoong's pace faltered to a halt yet, he seemed like he had just come back from a mini reverie. Remembering the direction of which the figure headed towards, Jaejoong broke into a run. Years of experience made him feel the need to go after the person.
 
He reached a dead end. Yunho appeared from around the corner, eyes still a glimmering red.
 
"Little human, being such a pest would only bring nothing but harm to you. Be gone," Yunho said, stretching his vowels.
 
Yunho knew his powers did not work on the cop. That was for sure because if it did, the man would not even be in such a position. Only instilling fear could scare away the nosey cop.
 
"P-police!" yelled Jaejoong, pulling out his gun. 
 
Something was definitely making him feel threatened as he had to resort to such measures.
 
Yunho cackled in disdain inwardly. He stepped closer to Jaejoong and bent a little so that his face was near to the cop's one. Jaejoong who sensed that it was dangerous drew back his foot and kicked Yunho hard enough to break his shinbone. He expected a moan of pain or him bending down to check his injury yet, Yunho just tumbled back a little bit and snorted. Jaejoong shifted to the side and secured the gun in both of his hands.
 
He held the pistol in his right hand with his arm out straight. Using his left hand, he grabbed his right wrist to steady his aim. He squeezed the trigger and a flare rocketed out from the barrel. His objective was not to kill but to stun the daunting being's movement.
 
Yunho felt the bullet whizzed past his chest like a crack of lightning. He was quick enough to dodge. Next, Jaejoong found himself pushed against the concrete wall with Yunho's hand locked on his wrist, their faces inches apart. He never saw the vampire move. Jaejoong's breath hitched. He struggled to pry free but the grip was all too strong. It was a strength definitely not possessed by any human. 
 
"Even though the blood of the male species doesn't appeal to me, a nibble to make me less hungry would be good," Yunho drawled, blowing hot breath against the cop's neck.
 
 He latched his lips against Jaejoong's nape, feeling the pulse underneath the skin. He inhaled the scent delightfully. Grazing the soft skin with one of his fangs, he caused a scratch to appear of the man's neck. A small amount of blood seeped out from the wound and he savoured it, up every drop.
 
Jaejoong shivered. 
 
"W-who. No, what are y-you?" he stammered.
 
The vampire smirked and vanished before the cop's very eyes.
 
Jaejoong's knees buckled and he fell to the ground. He sat there for ten minutes before dialing for Changmin to come.
 
Minutes later, Changmin arrived. He bent over to catch his breath, hands leaning on his knees for balance. When he raised his head a little, he caught sight of Jaejoong sitting on the ground. He seemed like he had lost all his energy.
 
"Hyung!" blurted Changmin, sprinting towards his colleague to help him up.
 
Legs weak as jelly, he got up with Changmin's support only to fall forward after tripping over his own foot. Changmin gave him a look of concern but he brushed it off feebly.
 
Jaejoong's cell phone rang. He picked up the call, "H-Hello?"
 
"Jaejoong-ah, Soojin's umma here... Soojin... Soojin hasn't returned home yet... And it's already past three in the wee hours of the morning... I'm worried."
 
Jaejoong bit his lip and clenched his hands into fists so tight that fingernails made half moons in his palms.
________________________________________________________________
In the previous chap, I mentioned that Yunho's apartment had a veranda. Pssh, my mistake! It's actually a balcony. Haha, Yunho's not living on the 1st floor.
 
Next update... First week of Jan. 

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year! Enjoy~!