Chapter 3

Just one smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After hearing those words, Hina's eyes stared at Jaemin in bewilderment. Her face immediately flushed red while Jaemin's aura remained calm. How can Jaemin say such thing? For all she knew, he wasn't interested in her in the first place.

"He's jo-" She was cut off when Jaemin spoke.

"....someone I like as a dongsaeng"

Of course. That's it. Just a younger friend.

"How can you even joke with a serious face?" Mark scoffed. Jaemin mumbled something but Hina didn't actually understood what it was. No one except her seemed to care anyway. The two decided join the round table with Hina and Jeno, making the little space feel more cramped. Jeno had to move beside Hina to give space for the others. In the end, Hina sat in between Jeno and Jaemin. Minutes later, the old woman also served the food that was ordered by them.

Hina ate in silence, thinking whether she should speak. The boys, especially Jeno and Mark were engaged in their conversation while Jaemin was eating silently as well. She noticed that he was being unusually quiet right now. Before during lunch breaks, she would often see him along with his friends at a table eating their lunch. He was talkative and always had that smile that never leaves his face. Right now he's just, eating quietly.

Hina didn't even realized that she was staring at Jaemin until Mark spoke. She cleared and continued eating. "Hina-sshi, from what faculty are you?"

"Communication Arts, Film major" She replied with a smile.

"I'm from Political Science, just like these two here" He answered back, nudging the two boys beside him.

"Jaemin too?" she asked in disbelief.

With the mention of his name, Jaemin raised his eyes to look at her. "You sounded like you couldn't believe I'm taking up Political Science"

She realized what he was referring to and quickly apologized. Jaemin looked at her with a hint of a smile forming on his face.

"But seriously, Jaemin, I thought you are considering KAIST? I was shocked when Lami told me that you are going to study here" Mark sounded really surprised. "But it's better.. We now have lots of handsome boys in the faculty"

Lami? So Mark knew Lami as well? Hina thought.

"And how about you two, how did you even get to know each other?" Mark asked. Hina looked at Jeno first before she answered.

"We're online friends"

"Hul. Is cyber dating still a thing?" Mark jokingly asked, earning a slight slap on his arm from Jeno. In the end, Jeno explained how they got to know each other through a game. Mark seemed to have understood the situation and later on changed the topic to a new game that was released recently.

When they finished eating, Jeno gladly paid all the food that was ordered including Mark and Jaemin. The older male thanked Jeno for the treat. "As expected, from our Jeno". Hina felt guilty and offered to pay half but Mark just told her that Jeno's daily allowance is worth his monthly allowance. She thought that Jeno must be rich.

It was already dark outside and just like any other day, the weather felt cold.

"You should join us this coming Saturday. We're having a small party. Jeno and Jaemin will be there. You know, some Political science students" Mark declared. Hina thought of the things she needed to finish by Monday. A reaction paper about her favorite movie and some test papers that needs to be answered. As much as she would love to come, when she was about to decline the offer, Mark cut her off.

"No alcohols and drugs! And also, I'll bring some girls so you won't feel alone"

Left with no choice, Hina agreed to the plan. Today was Wednesday. Meaning to say, she have three days left excluding Saturday to finish the things she need. They exchanged numbers and Mark instructed Jeno to accompany Hina since she's still not familiar of the outskirts of Seoul.

They all exchanged goodbyes but before they left, Jeno offered to walk her home but she reassured him that she will be fine on her own. When Jeno and Mark left first, Hina and Jaemin ended up walking together since they have the same route home.

The two walked quietly side by side. Sometimes she would glance at him, checking whether she should speak but in the end decided to just keep quiet. She tried to distract herself by pulling out her phone from her pocket to thank Jeno for his time and the treat today. Just when she was about to hit the send button, a pair of hands pulled her.

She was facing Jaemin now, and his hands were still on her arms.

"Hina. You should come this Saturday, okay?"

He was staring at her, expecting for an answer.

"Of... of course, I will. I already told them" She stammered. Jaemin slowly removed his hands from her and spoke.

"I have something to tell you so you must come"

Hina noticed that his voice sounded so serious so instead of answering, she only nodded in response. She later realized that she was already few steps away from the entrance of her dorm.

"I.. I think I have to go.. now" She said and immediately walked past him. She didn't even dare to look back and quickly ran to the stairs. Thankfully, her room is located in the second floor. When she arrived in front of the door of her dorm, she breathed heavily and rested her back on the wall beside the door. She couldn't help but think what is it that he wanted to tell her.. and why it must be on Saturday? Brushing off the thoughts, she quickly pulled out the door key from her bag and entered inside.

It was already 11 in the evening and Hina was still twisting and turning on her bed. She realized many things happened today including the unexpected meeting with Jaemin and Jeno. She wondered why did Jaemin chose to study in Seoul University when she heard Mark said that he was considering KAIST as well. Also, the thought of Lami knowing Mark and even telling him that Jaemin is going to attend Seoul University bothered her more. How come they both know each other?

Hina gave up thinking and sat up. She took her phone from the drawer beside her bed and saw a message from Herin and Jeno. She quickly read the message from Herin and typed her reply. As expected, her friend was shocked to know that she doesn't have her phone a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter