Chapter 4 (3&4 double update)

Dark Prince

Kyungsoo woke up to his front door slamming and Kai shaking him awake. He looked around frantically trying to gain awareness of his surroundings, the shock of how he was woken up scrambled his already foggy mind.

 

“Wake UP DAMNIT!” Kai yelled in his face.

 

Kyungsoo finally looked at Kai, “Why are you shaking me? Why is everything so loud?”

 

“Wow you are very disoriented,” Kai noted before jumping off Kyungsoo’s bed. “Anyway, the person that is trying to kill you just broke into the apartment and trashed everything. I just thought you might want to know.” He shrugged and then turned to face the male on the bed.

 

“If they had broken in, why didn’t they just kill me while I was asleep? Was it because you are here?” Kyungsoo inquired outloud and looked up at Kai. “Were you already awake when they came in here?”

 

Kai looked at him for a moment before answering, “Yeah. I wanted cereal and that bastard came in and just ransacked the place. He didn’t notice me at first but I ended up chasing him away, but now my cereal is soggy.” A visible pout formed on his face as he walked out of the room.

 

“He seemed to be quite unbothered by the situation, but then again, he has been chasing this person away for years. I don’t blame him for being bored by it.” He whispered to himself, suddenly feeling like a burden to Kai. His heart becoming heavy.

 

At this point Kai had been living with him for a few days and he has stopped denying that he had feelings for Kai. Whether they were feelings of gratitude that he has been watching over him for his entire life or if it was romantic feelings, he didn’t know. He just knew that he did feel something strong for the other man and he was trying to work up the courage to tell him.

 

Kyungsoo finally pulled himself out of bed before grabbing some clothes and walking into his bathroom. His body went on autopilot and he washed up, brushed his teeth, and got dressed in a daze. He slipped out of the bathroom and made his way towards the living room, making note of Kai making something that smelled a lot better than cereal in the kitchen.

 

“Whatever it is that you’re making, you better be making me some too.” Kyungsoo commented as he slumped down on the couch, picking up the remote and turning on the tv, boredly flipping the channels. “Did you hear what I said?” He called over into the next room.

 

“Yes, I heard you. You’re quite demanding. Of course I am making you some because you are so graciously letting me stay in your apartment because I can’t pay my rent” Kai’s voice was thick with sarcasm. He still hadn’t shut up about Kyungsoo’s lame excuse he gave his best friend a few days prior.

 

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Can you shut up about that yet? Seriously? I swear if I didn’t love you I would have punched you already.” The words slipped from his mouth before he even realised what he said. His hands clamped his mouth shut once what he had said processed in his mind and he slid off the couch in a ball of embarrassment.

 

Kai walked into the living room then, staring at what was now a bright red Kyungsoo in the fetal position on the floor. He laughed silently, “No need to be embarrassed, Soo.”

 

Kyungsoo’s body jolted when Kai spoke. His blush turned a deeper shade of red, coloring his ears a burgundy shade. “You know nothing.” He murmured into the floor, refusing to look at the man standing over him. An amused look plastered itself on Kai’s face.

 

“Believe it or not but I like you too. Like I said, there is no need to be embarrassed. You should be more embarrassed by the fact that you are so obvious I can read you like an open book. I knew a while ago that you had feelings for me, whether you knew it yourself or not.” That was when Kyungsoo finally looked a Kai, a glimmer of hope in his eyes as he searched Kai’s face to see if he was joking. The next words out of Kyungsoo’s mouth seemed to take Kai by surprise.

 

“Are you being serious, or are you just ing with me?” The hope was suddenly joined by disbelief. How could a man as perfect and beautiful as Kai ever love him? Or even like him for that matter.

 

“Are you being serious? I tell you that I like, or even love you back and you don’t believe me?” Kai stared at the boy who was still on the floor with a look of offense.

 

Kyungsoo finally straightened himself out and stood up, facing Kai. He had stopped blushing and was looking at the taller male with a careful expression, “I guess that was rude. Sorry. But, I guess what I need to properly say is that I love you. I have had feelings for you since I first saw you at that club.” He averted his gaze now, his sudden confidence dwelling.

 

“Wow, that long, damn. Well I started to like you when we met at the cafe the first time. I thought I probably loved you when you bumped into me, the day I told you who you really were.” Kai had a look of fondness cross over his face and he was amused by the fact that Kyungsoo started blushing again.

 

“Well, thank you for returning my feelings.” The awkward statement sounded more like a question and Kai chuckled.

 

He grabbed the smaller boy’s hand and pulled him closer, “You’re so cute.” He whispered before he kissed the top of his head.

 

As Kai pulled away, Kyungsoo caught his expression change fast into one of slight excitement, “I am sorry to change the subject so fast but I just remembered the good news. Later last night I sent a message to the other world and the old man finally got back to me! He says we can go back there in 12 moons. I am so excited I can’t wait for you to see your home land!”

 

That was when Kyungsoo kissed him. So many emotions washed over him in that moment, the excitement of getting to see his home world, the light dancing in Kai’s eyes, the events that had happened mere minutes ago had just processed in his mind. Kai tensed for a moment but then relaxed into the kiss, laughing lightly against it. Kyungsoo pulled the taller boy closer to him so their bodies were flush against each other, he could feel Kai’s body heat, hot against his own body.

 

Kyungsoo finally stepped back, breaking their contact, “Sorry…” He whispered. He was unapologetically staring at the man in front of him. His eyes traced the outline of Kai’s body, taking in every detail. From his long legs and torso, dressed in a dark grey t-shirt and ripped, black jeans, complimenting his tanned skin beautifully. The differently colored eyes that he has gotten used to were bright and staring at him in slight shock. “... You just.. You looked really cute when you were talking…”

 

Kai stood in silence for a while before he smiled, “It’s okay. We both like each other right? That means it is okay if you kiss me. And I, you?” Kyungsoo nodded shyly at his question, his face dusted a light pink and his eyes darting around the room, looking anywhere except for at Kai.

 

After a bit of awkward silence between the two, they went back to doing their own things. When Kai walked back to the kitchen to finish the forgotten food, Kyungsoo swore he looked stressed and put a hand to his forehead in an exasperated manner, probably because of the food he was making getting cold.



 

The two weeks were coming to an end and Kyungsoo was getting nervous about having to leave the only home he has ever known to go to his true homeland. The thought was daunting to him, especially because when he got there, he would have to rule over people he didn’t know, and a world with a history that was totally foreign.  He was also daunted by the fact that he needed to tell Baekhyun he was leaving somehow. That scared him the most, considering that Baekhyun was a giant drama queen and wouldn’t think he was telling the truth unless the lie was very convincing and well thought out.

 

As he pondered what he was going to tell his best friend when he came over later that day, memories of the past week flooded into his mind. Somewhere between the day he told kai about his feelings and now, Kai started to sleep in his room with him.

 

Although they started to sort of act like a couple, there was no official label on the two. At night when he tried to cuddle Kai, Kai would subtly remove himself from Kyungsoo’s arms and talk sweet words to him to distract him and put him to sleep. Kyungsoo acted like he didn’t notice but it kinda hurt, though he didn’t push because he didn’t want Kai to feel uncomfortable.

 

Suddenly, he stood up. He had thought of a plausible scenario to tell Baekhyun and he went off to find Kai and run it over with him so they were on the same page. He found him in their now shared bedroom and went to sit on the bed next to him.

 

“I know what we can tell Baekhyun today.” Kyungsoo turned to look at Kai, waiting for him to pay attention. Soon, Kai looked up from his phone and his eyes rested on Kyungsoo’s face, “He knows that someone has been following me so what if we tell him that I talked to the police this morning after the person broke in and they are going to be putting you and I into the witness protection program as soon as possible to ensure our safety. It may seem a bit drastic but I think Baekhyun will believe it.”

 

Kai thought carefully for a second before nodding, “That will probably work. I do hope you know though that you may end up never seeing Baekhyun again. He will be distraught.”

 

“I know. It hurts already. I can imagine his sad, stupid face. I really don’t want to hurt him but I also don’t want us to just disappear. He might think you did something horrible to me.” Kyungsoo chuckled at what he said and Kai stayed silent as he looked back at his phone.

 

“Baekhyun should be here any minute now. It is already 5.” Kai said out loud, and then looked to Kyungsoo. “We should go wait for him.” He got up quickly and walked out into the living room.

 

As Kyungsoo followed he noticed that Kai had lit up a cigarette and was sitting on the couch, eyes on the tv, “Nope. What did I tell you? You need to smoke outside.” He grabbed the cigarette out of Kai’s hand and went to stand out on the balcony, waiting for Kai to follow. He took a long drag of it as he stared out at the streets below him before handing it off to the man who just walked up behind him.

 

“Ah, rules rules. It isn’t like we are going to be in this apartment for much longer.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed, “That’s not the point. The point is that I don’t want to be killed between now and the time we leave by my landlord.”

 

At that moment the front door slammed open and the two on the balcony could hear Baekhyun noisily making his way into the apartment. Kai put the cigarette on the railing before walking back into the apartment, “Wow, it didn’t even take 3 minutes before he got here.”

 

“Hey! What did you need to talk to me about Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo as he walked into the living room.

 

He sighed deeply and looked Baekhyun in the eyes, “Well, you know how there has been someone stalking me?” Baekhyun nodded, “They broke in here this morning and when I called the police they told me they would be moving Kai and I into the witness protection program to ensure our safety. I’m sorry but I have to do this.”

 

Baekhyun searched his best friends face to see if he was joking or not but Kyungsoo maintained a serious expression. His eyes welled up with tears, “Well it looks like I have no choice but to support you in this. I am very happy that you decided to tell me this instead of just disappearing.” He moved towards his friend and enveloped him in a big hug, “When do you leave?”

 

“Tomorrow night. You can stop by tomorrow afternoon if you want to say goodbye, I think that will be okay. Right?” Kyungsoo glanced at Kai and saw him nod his head.

 

Baekhyun hummed in response as he stood up, “Well, if you are leaving, you won’t be needing all of the food in your fridge!” and trotted into the kitchen, loudly opening the refrigerator door.

 

“Okay but we still need to eat until tomorrow night! Don’t take everything!” Kyungsoo called as he stood up to follow Baekhyun into the other room.



 

After a few hours of all of them just talking and hanging out, they said goodbye to Baekhyun and he went home. The air around them was heavy with sadness. Kai left a little bit after Baekhyun, saying that he wanted to give Kyungsoo time to think about stuff and that he needed to run some errands so that tomorrow went by without any complications.

 

When Kai came back later into the night he settled himself in bed next to Kyungsoo, praying silently for the night and the next day to go by fast. Which it had and soon it was the middle of the afternoon, just a few short hours before Kyungsoo was to leave the only home he ever knew to go back to what Kai kept calling his ‘true home’.



 

Kyungsoo impatiently shifted in his seat again and sighed, “When is Baekhyun going to come say goodbye? He said he was going to yesterday.” A pout formed on his lips, feeling betrayed that his closest friend wasn’t coming by to say goodbye to him.

 

“Maybe he is just upset and wants last night to be the last memory he has of you instead of a tearful, short and sad goodbye.” Kai inquired as he moved through the living room, moving from room to room getting stuff ready for the ‘portal’ to take them home later.

 

“Yeah, maybe, but this just doesn’t seem like him. For a long time he was attached to me at the hip. It is going to be weird not taking care of that idiot. I have been watching out for him since he was little.” Another of Kyungsoo’s loud sighs was heard throughout the apartment before he stood up and offered to help Kai with whatever he was doing.




 

Kai was drawing a circle on the floor, and Kyungsoo watched from across the room. When he was done, he walked over, grabbed a jar of dirt and a bottle of water, putting each in the middle of the circle. “Okay, I need you to come over here now, babe.” Kai beckoned him over distractedly.Kyungsoo made his way over and let Kai lead him into the middle of the circle. He stood on top of what was now mud and waited for his next instructions. “Good. Now I’m going to put this paper on your shoes and light it on fire. You won’t catch on fire if I say the spell right so don’t distract me.” He winked up at him.

 

Kyungsoo looked forward, deciding to not look at Kai was he was finishing whatever he was doing. He soon felt the warmth of the fire through his shoes but nothing burned, which meant Kai was doing it right. Kyungsoo sighed in relief.

 

“Okay, the spell is done, see you in a bit!” Kyungsoo heard Kai say as the world started spinning and everything went dark. He thought he had passed out but within seconds he was greeted by a blinding brightness and unfamiliar voices talking excitedly around him. As his eyes adjusted, he looked around to see many faces staring at him in amazement and shock.

 

 

Yay! An update! Finally! lmao