Drabble 5: Gift(s)

Three's a crowd

Drabble V: Gift(s)

Jaemin x Hina


Even though Hina does not say it, Jaemin knew that she misses Japan very much. It has been five years since the last time she saw her family in the flesh and Jaemin can only imagine how that feels. That is why, when he was informed about a performance schedule in Nagoya, he made sure to get a special gift for Hina. When NCT arrived back in South Korea, the first thing that Jaemin did was drop by the company building and muster the courage to borrow Hina from her overprotective unnies and dongsaengs. It took approximately half an hour for Jaemin to convince his Koeun noona to let him see Hina for a moment, it did not help that the sneaky evil that is Kim Sungkyung aka Lami was there too. But then, when Hina finally emerged from SR18G’s practice room with that sweet smile plastered on her face, Jaemin knew that everything was worth it.

 

“Here. I bought this for you, open it.” Jaemin said with a smile as he gave Hina a small box which was beautifully wrapped. They were at the company rooftop – the only place in the entire building where Jaemin think they could talk in peace.

 

Opening the box with utmost care, Hina saw a classic timepiece with a beautiful illustration of Matsumoto castle, an iconic and important landmark in Nagoya, her hometown.

 

“It’s beautiful, Jaemin. Thank you.” Hina said, in awe of her friend’s thoughtfulness.

 

“Don't I even get a hug?” Jaemin replied, opening his arms wide.

 

Hina hesitated for a moment but slowly approached Jaemin. Before she could properly put her arms around him, Jaemin already pulled her close to him and wrapped his arms around her waist.

 

“Jae- Jaemin!” Hina stammered. She knows he likes skinship, but this was the first time he hugged her like that.

 

Ignoring her protests, Jaemin held Hina tighter and rested his chin at the top of her head. With the way Jaemin was holding her, Hina's face was already resting on his chest and she could even feel his toned body.

 

Jaemin released a long sigh before saying, “I miss you so much, Hina. Well, Jeno misses you too. But I miss you more. How are you?”

 

Blushing, Hina murmured, “I...miss you...two... I mean...too… But I'm good…Really…Debut preparations are taking its toll but…well…it has been difficult to be honest.”

 

Jaemin smiled a little. It's rare for Hina to share her thoughts and feelings. She has always been the quiet one and prefers to keep her struggles to herself. But today, she’s actually opening up, to him of all people. Holding her closer to him, he said, “You're a fighter. You can do it. If it gets difficult, we're here. I'm here.”

 

To Jaemin’s surprise, he felt Hina cling to him tighter. With this, Jaemin made her look up to him as he cupped her face between her hands.

 

“I can't wait to stand on the same stage as you, Hina. Jeno, Mark hyung, Donghyuck, and Jisung are all excited too. You just have to be strong, okay? For our dreams. For your dreams.”

 

They stared at each other. When Hina hinted that she wanted to part, Jaemin hugged her tight whilst kissing her forehead. When he finally released her, he held her hands and said, “I’ll see you again. Until then, take good care of yourself. okay?”

 

“I will. Thank you, Jaemin. Stay strong too. Please relay that to Jeno and the rest of NCT.”

 

Jaemin smiled, “Make sure to wear the watch always okay? It's a classic timepiece. It will go with whatever you're wearing. But really, you’re beautiful to begin with! Everything suits you.”

 

“Stop saying those cheesy words! But thank you.”

 

Both smiled.

 

“I love you, Hina. Never forget that.”

 

Silence.

 

“Heyyy. You don't have to be awkward okay? I know we're way too young to even date, but I just want you to know that you're very special to me. If in the future you-“

 

“I don’t exactly know what to say. But thank you for always, Jaemin. You are special to me too.”

 

It was Jaemin’s turn to blush this time.

 


After that day’s practice, when Hina and her Yiyang unnie went back to the trainee dorm, both girls were surprised to see a package addressed to Hina.

 

“Didn’t Jaemin already give you something earlier?” Yiyang inquired.

 

Hina nodded.

 

“Well… try opening it and see if there’s a note from the sender.”

 

Doing what she was told, Hina gently pick up the package. Opening the box, she and Yiyang were surprised to see a beautiful white summer dress, albeit a little revealing, folded inside.

 

“Look! There’s the note. Read it, Hina.” Yiyang said in between giggles.

 

To my favorite cat,

 

I'd love to see you wear this. Good luck on your debut stage.

 

- Jeno

 

“My, my. Our dear Hina hasn’t debuted yet but there’s already two guys wrapped around her pretty little fingers.” Yiyang said. “Should I tell Koeun about this?”