Four.

fac ut ardeat cor meum (amor vincit omnia)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

Not gonna lie I love the club scene lol, Wonwoo is not buying Jongin's bull ehe. Also, I write the club scene because I feel like I have to emphasize on the fact that even though they're blue bloods, future kings and queens, they're still pretty much young, with money and power, obviously they'd indulge in worldly hedonism every once in a while.

Also, why do you think Jongin agrees to marry Seulgi? ;)

Love,
Nat

IV.

imperium sine fine.

an empire without an end.

 

 

“The Decree of Peace signed and marriage had been done. We have pioneered peace for Aria and Altair." Seungwoo says, training his gaze on the group of people before him.

 

Yunho smiles. “Next step is maintaining and securing the peace.”

 

Jongin shifts slightly in his seat and from the corner of his eyes, he can feel Seulgi glancing at him. Their eyes locked for a while and a mutual understanding passes between them through unspoken words. They’re the key.

 

“And implementing the points in the Decree.” Joohyun speaks up. “Aria must improve Altairian-Arian’s equality.”

 

He doesn’t know Joohyun enough. Only that the future queen of Altair is beautiful beyond any logic and that she emanates this intimidating aura. From their short meetings, Joohyun has always been graceful and eloquent with her charming smiles and polite courtesies. It is during official meetings like this that Jongin learns why Joohyun is very respected, not just by her people, but also by world leaders who have had the experience to work with her. She means business, gets straight to the point and still keeping up with the pleasant, polite attitude.

 

“Of course," his father nods. “Me and Prime Minister Shim have discussed a few things," Seungwoo says, nodding at the Arian Prime Minister who is currently sitting on his right.

 

Shim Changmin nods. “Princess Seulgi's presence in Aria will be very helpful. We proposed a meeting in two weeks from now, where the King, Princess Seulgi, Prince Jongin and the whole cabinet can meet and Princess Seulgi can present, say, points or plans or policies she deems will be important and useful for the well-being of Altairian-Arians.”

 

“Alright,” Seulgi answers, nodding. She looks like she'd deep in thought before speaking again. “I was wondering if we could set up a special institution focusing on Altairian-Arian matters. An institution led by Altairians for Altairians.”

 

They mull over her request for a bit before Changmin speaks up. “I thought our cabinet and officials are well-equipped for handling these matters. You are going to present points in front of the cabinet later, why not leave it to them?”

 

“Because as much as we trust you, we can't say the same about some officials in the government that are still blatantly showing their hate towards Altair. With all due respect, King Seungwoo." Joohyun answers, nodding her head slightly to the king.

 

Proud and cautious, those are the words that best described Altairians.

 

Seungwoo shrugs. “You have your reasons.” he simply says.

 

“To put it simply, handing the matter to the cabinet that has never walked in our shoes is not exactly right." Yunho joins in, smiling politely.

 

“There will be adjustments to the government's budget, should this institution requires financial support." Changmin points out, glancing at Seungwoo.

 

“I think it's alright." Jongin finally speaks up. “I know our yearly budgets, there's room to spare. Moreover, the Decree demands that Aria to help and cooperate with ensuring the livelihoods and safety of Altairian-Arians, it's only natural for our government to make another budget for this institution.”

 

There's a proud glint in Seungwoo’s eyes. Barely there and very faint, but Jongin would never missed it. In that proud glint he finds affirmation and acknowledgment.

 

“Very well," Changmin nods. “Will the institution be independent?”

 

“Yes." Seulgi nods. “To ensure that it won't get influence or interruption from other parties. Or, at the very least, this institution answers only to the Crown and Prime Minister.”

 

“Does the Crown includes Jongin?" Seungwoo asks.

 

“Of course," she answers coolly. “Should the Crown Prince wants it.”

 

Jongin nods. “The future era will be about keeping peace and repaying Aria's bloody debt to Altair. As the future king, I take responsibility to see it done.”

 

“Then,” Seungwoo concludes, “Do we have agreement?”

 

Another moment of silence before Joohyun speaks.

 

“As long as the Crown and Prime Minister agree to give the committee the backup, help and even protection, should the time comes.” Joohyun adds, clasping her hands on top of the table.

 

“Of course,” Jongin answers, glancing at his father, satisfied when a proud glint flashes over Seungwoo’s eyes.

 

“I agree,” Seulgi answers, when Seungwoo glances at her, followed by Yunho who nods, signaling his agreement.

 

“Well, then, if there’s nothing else, meeting adjourned.” Changmin speaks.


 

***


 

To be honest, Jongin’s not quite sure if alcohol and blaring music are what he needs after tedious meeting, but when they all arrive at the club and Seulgi took off her long coat, he finds her wearing a little black dress, turtleneck and long-sleeved, completely harmless save for the figure-hugging fabric and how her legs seems to go for a mile. He admits he stared for a good few moments and perhaps Wonwoo noticed it but Jongin’s not so sure.

 

Joohyun and Junmyeon are present but she abstains from drinking any alcohol. Wonwoo has been mocking her for only a freaking glass of water in the club and Seulgi explains that’s how they communicate.

 

It doesn’t take long before Wonwoo dons three shots and slips to the dancefloor, Yerim joining him, while Joohyun, Junmyeon and Jaehyun conversing with Jungwoo about Arian culture. Jongin leans back on his seat and glances at Seulgi. Her dark hair falls down her back like black river, melting along in the dark fabric of her clothes. The neon lights cast a faint glow on her cheekbones, oversaturated in vibrant colors.

 

“You enjoying this?” Jongin finds himself asking.

 

“What? Sitting around?” she jokes, “Yes, actually, the drink’s very good and the music’s good, too.”

 

“Told you,” he finds himself smiling.

 

Seulgi mimics his smile before reaching for her scotch and drinks it, her attention shifted to the throngs of people on the dance floor.

 

“I heard you’re pregnant,” Jongin says, turning his attention to Joohyun. “Congratulations. I hope the pregnancy will go well and you’ll deliver a healthy baby.”

 

A sweet smile blooms on Joohyun’s lips. “Thank you.” she replies.

 

“What did Mother and Father said when you told them?” Seulgi joins in, crossing her legs, skirt riding up her thigh as she does so.

 

“They’re excited,” Junmyeon answers, refilling his empty glass with cold water, “Haesoo literally cried while Yunho gave us long speech and advice about the importance of family.”

 

A wry smile creeps up on Seulgi’s lips. “Hopefully you can be present for your children once the baby’s born.”

 

Joohyun let out a sigh. “Should be able to, with this peace and all,” she locks eyes with Jongin, the corner of her lips curl into a small smile.

 

It’s always ironic, being head of state, because the whole idea of putting the nation and people before yourself, to some extent, required you to sacrifice your family. Seungwoo wasn’t around much throughout Jongin’s youth but everytime he does gets the chance to see his father, the King would pour out all of his governing and political knowledge out to Jongin.

 

Perhaps those are what shaped him to be a person who craves so much acknowledgment and validation, now. Maybe.

 

“I’m going to get another drink,” he tells them before standing up and heads to the bar.

 

Baek Yerin herself is tending the bar now, her hair was black and curly yesterday, now it’s a shade of peach and short, barely reaching her nape. “Here’s the husband.” her lips curl into a smile when she spots him. “Enjoying the married life?”

 

Jongin shrugs. “The usual. As in hoping that I wouldn’t things up in the future.”

 

Yerin whistles, “Language, Crown Prince.” she laughs, shaking her head. “You’ll be fine. Yerim told me of Seulgi, she seems like a wonderful girl. A bit too good for you, if I may say,”

 

“Second that motion,” he answers absentmindedly.

 

A curious glint flashes over Yerin’s eyes but she lets this one slide because another man has slide into the bar and takes a seat next to Jongin. He recognizes the feline eyes. Kang Wonwoo himself sits beside him.

 

“Sup?” Wonwoo tilts his head. It’s a rhetorical question because he quickly speaks again. “Thanks for showing me this club, man. The music's real awesome, drinks tastes great, good crowds, it’s cool.”

 

Jongin smiles, “Well, you should deliver your compliments to her,” he points at Yerin, who pretends not to hear their conversation. “She’s the owner.”

 

Wonwoo shifts her glance to the pink haired girl. “Oh, yeah,” he snickers, already a bit tipsy. “Awesome club, girl, you’re cool.”

 

Yerin grins from ear to ear. “And you have just won yourself a free drink,” she replies, serving cocktail for the both of them. “Make yourself at home, Prince Wonwoo.”

 

He gives her a crooked smile, “That, I will.” he grins before taking a sip from her cocktail.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter