Three.

fac ut ardeat cor meum (amor vincit omnia)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

I have this insecurity that I haven't really shown how Jongin and Seulgi bonded in the previous version. I feel like I haven't shown that they could have a fun conversation and banter with each other, that it's not always awkwardness and tension between them so one of the major changes for this rewritten version is their dynamic (I tweaked their personalities a bit if you noticed lul) but ye that's that on that.

Love,
Nat.

III.

ex fide fortis.

from faith comes strength.

 

Morning comes so much sooner that she wished for, not like she could sleep peacefully anyway. Seulgi stays still for a while, gazing at the ceiling, brooding about her predicament. Beside her, Jongin is still in his slumber, buried comfortably under the safe blanket. When she pushes herself up, Jongin wakes up, looking at her through his eyelashes, drowsiness still hanging on his eyelid.

 

“Sorry for waking you up.” Seulgi says.

 

“It’s alright.” he replies, voice hoarse and deeper than usual and it sort of makes her skin tingles. “It’s time to wake up anyway.” a yawn escapes his lips and he stretches before sitting up.

 

It’s quiet for a while, as if their brains need time to reboot after the sleep.

 

“Did you sleep well?” Jongin asks, eventually.

 

“Not really,” Seulgi confesses, “It sort of takes time for me to adapt.”

 

“Figures.” he mutters, “I thought I could hear you getting up.”

 

“You did?” she asks, caught off guard, scared that he might hear her crying in the dead of night. “Sorry.”

 

Jongin waves his hand dismissively. “It’s cool. No need to apologize so much.” he says, giving her a wan smile. “You can take your bath first, if you want.”

 

Seulgi nods before getting off the bed and walks to the bathroom, slightly shivering because of the chilly morning. It’s peaceful. The bathroom faces the sea and as she fills the bathtub with warm water, Seulgi can hear the faint noise of waves coming and going, dragging along the beach. It’s cloudy today and there are spots where the sunlight could pierce through the clouds, casting long, vertical line of lights straight to the ground.

 

When the bathtub is almost full, Seulgi strips down her clothes and gets in, sighing when the warm water makes contact with her skin. Pouring soap into the water, she broods again. Yesterday was scary, but today she’s not just Princess Seulgi, she’s also the future queen of Aria, as crazy as it sounds. Joohyun is right, this is a task she has to do for her people, too long have Altairians in this kingdom suffered discriminations and injustice. A new era is unfolding and she’s blessed to be one of the keys for sustaining the longevity.

 

It’s terrifying, to know such big responsibility residing on her shoulders, but duty is duty and she must do it. Now is really the time to work hard and there is no room for doubts and insecurities. She scrubs her body clean, revelling in the heat before getting out and draining the water. The absence of heat makes the cold more palpable and Seulgi shivers as she dries her skin and hurriedly wears her clothes. When she exits the bathroom, Jongin is reading the morning newspaper while drinking coffee, breakfast ready on their table.

 

“You can go ahead,” he says, folding the newspaper and placing it back on the table. “No need to wait for me.”

 

But Seulgi wants to, so while he bathes, she spends her time taking care of her hair and appearance. A knock on the door and the palace stylist appears, a young woman with sleek black hair and bunny teeth.

 

“Good morning, Princess Seulgi, I’m Im Nayeon, your personal stylist.” she bows and introduces herself before proceeding to do Seulgi’s makeup and hair, complimenting her eyes because apparently monolids are a rarity amongst Arian and “I didn’t mean to offend but people here prefers double-eyelid so there are countless surgeries to get it, but ever since yesterday, it’s like everybody had an eye-opener on how monolids are actually pretty cute.”

 

“Well,” Seulgi cracks a wry smile, it's not like her appearance hasn't been heavily discussed in articles and magazines before. Joohyun holds the spotlight more, though, with every appearance of her in public, there comes countless articles about the Dior bag she's using, or her Valentino dress, or her Damiani necklace. “Things like that happens, sometimes.”

 

“Trust me, Princess, you’ll be the face for beauty and fashion in this kingdom for quite some time. The oldies might protest the Decree of Peace and the wedding and whatnot but many women in this kingdom thinks you’re cool.” Nayeon says calmly as she carefully does Seulgi’s eyebrows.

 

“Really?” this surprises her because honestly she doesn’t expect any positive reception.

 

“Yes. Though there are those annoying ultranationalists and small-minded people, younger Arians are mostly fed up and sick of the war and there are many of them who supports equality for Altairian-Arian here.”

 

This lifts up a huge weight from her shoulders. “God, you don’t know how happy I am to hear that. Thank you.”

 

Nayeon chuckles as she ponders over the color of lipstick. “I’m just saying, there are quite big support for you here and I am rooting for you… and the Prince, too, you two look so cute yesterday, Princess, I’m so glad I didn’t miss the broadcast.” the girl confesses and Seulgi can’t reply to that because Nayeon is applying a coat of pinkish red over her lips. “There, a natural look, and we’re done! What do you think?” she asks, giving Seulgi room to look at her reflection in the mirror.

 

“It’s perfect.” Seulgi answers, satisfied.

 

Nayeon leaves after and not long after that, Jongin exists the bathroom, looking ready to go. How easy it is to be boys.

 

“Someone’s ready for the day.” he comments.

 

“The stylist- Nayeon, she did a great job.” Seulgi replies.

 

“She sure did.” Jongin smiles. “Should we eat?”

 

Seulgi nods before taking a seat in front of Jongin. There are sausages, eggs, potatoes, bacon and a small serving of salad accompanied with a glass of milk for both of them, the sight makes waters.

 

“This is good.” she comments as she takes a bite of the bacon.

 

“Jungwoo is picky, he’s very fussy when it comes to chefs, thankfully that means the food here tastes really good.” Jongin replies. “You’re not worried your lipstick will stain, though?”

 

“What? Oh, I can re-apply it, it’s easy.” Seulgi waves her hand nonchalantly before sipping her milk. “Besides, this is Charlotte Tilbury, once they get onto your lips, they’re not moving away.”

 

He chuckles, shaking his head. “You and Yerim will be quite a match.”

 

“Really? I’m glad.” Seulgi laughs.

 

The light conversation goes on until their plates are clean and Jongin wipes his mouth with a napkin. “Oh, I almost forgot,” he says, standing up and heads to the bed. He returns not long after with three ties- navy, dark green and dark red. “Which one do you think I should wear?”

 

“You’re asking my opinion?” Seulgi chuckles.

 

Jongin arches an eyebrow. “Aren’t husbands supposed to ask for their wives’ opinion?” he asks and breaks into laughter when Seulgi laughs. “I’m serious.”

 

“Yeah, well, dark red. You look good in them.” Seulgi says, watching as Jongin nods and places the rest of the ties on a nearby table before wrapping the dark red tie around his neck. “It still feels a little weird, though.”

 

“You think I look good in red?” Jongin asks, smiling coyly at her. “And what’s weird? Calling you wife?”

 

“You do, it’s like the color is made for you,” she answers honestly before pausing and shrugs. “I mean, it still sort of hasn’t settled in yet that we’re married.”

 

“Really? That’s interesting, why though?” he faces her with a satisfied smile on his face.

 

“Are you asking about the color red or our wedding?”

 

“The red. Weddings are weird, too, I swear to God this morning I almost had a heart attack when I saw you but then I remember we got married yesterday.”

 

It takes a while to calm herself from the laugh but Seulgi smiles. “I don’t know… I mean, it was fall when you visited Altair, the leaves were red, the roses were red, and it just suits you, those red.” she answers earnestly.

 

The smile on his face almost looks bashful. “I'll keep that in mind."

 

After that, Seulgi proceeds to her first schedule of the day, the appointing of her Sworn Knight. A Sworn Knight is similar to that of a bodyguard but perhaps more personal. Back in Altair, they call it the Princess Guard and her guard was once a sarcastic, charismatic and gets job well done man named Seo Youngho. He was supposed to be her Sworn Knight here, too, but then his father went ill and fearing the worst, Youngho’s mother requested for his return. Youngho’s only sibling is still a baby, barely legal and should worst case scenario happens, then the fate of his land, Rigel, falls onto him. He’s to be the new Duke.

 

Sworn Knights in Aria are slightly different. Youngho served her, but both parties are able to end the bond should something happens, thus why Youngho can go home. Arian Sworn Knights, though, are bound to his or her master for life. Only death can end their bond and Seulgi thinks it’s a bit excessive.

 

Jongin joins her just before she enters the throne room, where his family and her family are. He smiles at her, offers his hand and they enter the throne room together.

 

Throngs of Arian soldiers are lined up inside and Seulgi can see some of the Palace’s officials standing in their posts. Appointing a Sworn Knight for a Royal Family member has always been a ceremony in Aria. Jongin and Seulgi takes their seat at the front row on the left side of the room and Seulgi watches as Seungwoo ascends on the throne and someone speaking on the bottom, reciting the laws and rules until it’s finally time for her knight to say his oath.

 

Carefully, Seulgi takes her step until she’s in front of the throne, the marble floor underneath her is covered with red carpet and in front of her stood a tall, wide-shouldered young man with raven black hair and eyes like those of a fox. She supposes she can take solace with that, something that resembles herself.

 

The knight smiles and bows before her, when he speaks, his voice is like the cackling fire or the sparks of fireworks hanging from a string.

 

“I, Kim Jiwon, offer my services to Princess Seulgi of Aria and of Altair. My shield is yours, my sword is yours, my life is yours. I will protect your life and your honor and give my life for yours if need be. I will keep my faith I swear it by the God and the King.”

 

Seulgi takes a deep breath, she remembers this oath. She learns it prior to her wedding.

 

“I vow that you will always have a place by my side and in my home. I will not ask any service that might dishonor your name. I swear it by the God and the King. Arise.”


 

***


 

Seulgi has grown familiar with the rest of her staff in one day. There’s the Private Secretary to the Princess, a man in his fifties but still looked young and strong, his name is Im Seulong. He’s quite nice and easy to talk to, Seulgi’s thankful for it. Then there’s an advisor for both her and Jongin, an old man named Hwang Taehyun, he doesn’t talk much but he seems alright. Her Sworn Knight, Jiwon, entertaining, funny and they instantly clicked together and then, her personal aide, Cho Miyeon, a very pretty girl with alabaster skin and doe eyes.

 

“Taehyun never really talks much,” Jongin says during the ride to their schedule. “But he’s quite lax. I’m jealous, though, father assigned Seulong as your private secretary.”

 

“Why?”

 

“He's funnier. Mine, Jungsoo, is a bit too strict sometimes. He’s been with me since I was a teenager and I was annoying that time. Wanted to piss him off so he’d leave but… he never left. Stayed with me until now.” he answers, reminiscing.

 

Despite the initial awkwardness, it surprises Seulgi how easy to fall into a routine with Jongin. He was easy to talk to, and funny as well. Those things give her a sense of security and safety, that it’s going to be alright. That even if love didn't grow between them, they could still honor each other as friends.

 

Their schedule wasn’t too tight today, and they have shared schedules with her family and the Arian royal family as well. They went to visit the cultural landmarks and then to a city called Edirat, which turned out to be home of Kyungsoo, Jongin’s best friend, and from there, they went to the Verona District, a vast area occupied by Altairians or Altairian-Arians in the kingdom. It’s a bright and crowded place and Seulgi felt oddly at home there.

 

They returned back to the Palace at 10 P.M. sharp and Seulgi chooses to spend some time with her siblings.

 

“So you’ve been training to be a knight since you were 10?” Seulgi asks in amazement as she walks with Jiwon to Joohyun's room.

 

“Yep. It’s quite fun, actually, I learned different languages- Altairian, Mandarin, Japanese, English, Spanish… I at Spanish, though. I also learned different types of martial arts, fencing, shooting… kinda like Bond.” Jiwon explains excitedly.

 

“That sounds hard, honestly.”

 

“Well, it was, I’m not gonna lie, especially Spanish, but martial arts and shooting were super fun.”

 

Seulgi smiles. “Were you the top of your class?” she asks.

 

“Not quite, the best was Sehun, he’s Jongin’s Sworn Knight.”

 

“And then you?”

 

Jiwon smiles. “I’m quite proud to say yes.”

 

“Well, I feel incredibly safe now.” Seulgi replies genuinely.

 

“That’s my job,” he shrugs before stopping in front of a white door. “This is it, your siblings’ rooms.”

 

“Thank you for today, Jiwon.” Seulgi smiles and enters the room.

 

This is supposed to be Joohyun and Junmyeon's room but Seulgi finds Wonwoo lying down on one of the sofas, left leg dangling and phone secure on his hand while his mouth chews on a chocolate. Jaehyun is sitting on the other sofa, eyes glued on his phone while Joohyun and Junmyeon are standing near the bed, looking like they're having a heated discussion.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter