Two.

fac ut ardeat cor meum (amor vincit omnia)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

Did anyone see the cover image? I made it myself after FINALLY learning photoshop akdankjdand sorry if it's bad ><
YES, I'm planning to upload all the drafts I've been written in one day so buckle up folks, you better prepare an eyedrop or something in case your eyes got dry from reading too long idk.

Love,
Nat.

II.

omnium rerum principia parva sunt.

the beginnings of all things are small.

 

 

September 5th, 2016

Eridani Palace, Aquila, Altair Kingdom

 

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Seulgi.”

 

Kim Jongin has this boyish but at the same time regal aura that astounds and captivates those who sets their eyes on him. This applies to Seulgi as well. She wants to be angry, hell, she doesn’t even want to smile back at him but all those thoughts disappear as soon as she sets her eyes on him. Truly a person fit to be king, his presence overwhelms her. Jongin gives her a polite bow and a smile and it amazes her how such simple actions steal the words away from . Kim Jongin is one of the most exquisite being she has ever seen.

 

“The pleasure is mine, Prince Jongin.” she remembers to reply and curtsies.

 

Once she gets past the initial shock, Seulgi can see the rest of the Arian Royal Family behind him. The King, Kim Seungwoo, a splitting image of Jongin save for the pale skin. His wife, Queen Eunhee, a radiant and lovely woman with her sun-kissed skin and bright eyes. Princess Kim Yerim, petite and beautiful with her ash-brown hair, she gives Seulgi a bright smile when their eyes meet, completely unnerved with the throngs of soldiers on the palace court. Then, the young Prince Jungwoo, handsome and luxurious.

 

Chains of greetings and courtesies ensued. Seungwoo and Eunhee embraced her father and mother like they were old friends and not centuries-old enemy. They took them inside, chatted for a while and then with a bright smile, her mother told Seulgi to show Jongin around the palace.

 

So here they are, two people who barely knows each other walking together in the palace gardens on a breezy fall. Beside her, Jongin seems like he blends in with the red autumn scenery. Against the backdrop of red maple leafs and his tan skin kissed by the orange evening sun, he looked like a renaissance painting. They walk further into the gardens, past the grand, stone fountain where the birds frolicking and chirping around, then the rose bushes, where a plethora of red, pink and white bloom vibrantly.

 

“We have a lot of roses back in Aria,” Jongin says, then, his fingers brush against the red petals, a sight that Seulgi knows will forever be engraved on the back of her mind.

 

“It really is a beautiful flower,” Seulgi replies, unsure.

 

They walk further until they reach patches of sunflowers that have yet to bloom, green and tall, lacking the usual big, yellow crown. “These were the sunflowers,” Seulgi informs, “Joohyun and I helped cultivate it. You should’ve seen them in the summer, they have the prettiest shade of yellow.”

 

“Do you like the color yellow?” Jongin asks then, looking at her.

 

“Yes, all shades of them.” Seulgi nods.

 

A faint smile ghosts over his lips. “Yellow suits you, I think.”

 

This catches her off guard and she can feel her cheeks heating up. “Thank you, Your Highness.” she replies.

 

“Please call me Jongin, we’re expected to marry next year, after all.”

 

“I… yes, Jongin.”

 

He smiles again before walking further. “I…” Jongin starts, searching for words. “I understand our kingdoms have long been torn in war and I want to apologize for all the atrocities Aria have done towards Altair, though I know it’s probably not enough… I'll do everything I can to repay Aria's bloody debts to your country. ”

 

Seulgi stills before smiling a little, “The Decree of Peace has deemed all to be forgiven,” she says, “What’s important now is to repair the long damages war have caused us.”

 

She doesn't know what to think of this. Is Jongin really one of the few who truly cared for Altair and admitted, acknowledged the horrible things Aria has done? There is no guarantee. In politic, even friends can easily turn into foes. However, Seulgi keeps a small hope in her heart that Jongin, and the rest of the Arian royal family, do care for Altair. It’d be so much easier for her if they do.

 

Then, Jongin blatantly shows his uneasiness. He let out a small sigh. “I have to admit and apologize, though, because at first I didn’t want to go through with this marriage.”

 

This causes her to let out a mirthless laugh. “Believe me, you’re not the only one.” Seulgi shrugs as they continue their walk. “To be frank, I think the Decree already suffices. And if Aria needs Altairians in their government to improve Altarian-Arians' equality and livelihood, you can always choose a leader from the community. We don’t really need this marriage and I’m sure you’d know, considering how the world has been reacting to this news.”

 

“A controversial decision indeed,” Jongin nods. “There’s this article by this… The New York Times questioning whether our kingdom still lived in the medieval era, as if marriage of convenience isn’t still practiced today.”

 

Somehow, she enjoys the sarcastic humor. “I saw that.”

 

Then, he sighs. “But it’s not like we have a choice on this matter, right?”

 

A solemn smile blooms on her face. “My sister Joohyun said it’s our curse for being born as prince and princesses. The good of our people should be our purpose in life.” Seulgi says.

 

Jongin doesn’t say anything. Eventually, though, he speaks. “So, for the sake of our kingdom, we must marry.”

 

“It seems so,” Seulgi murmurs. “A marriage of convenience.”

 

He frowns when she says that, as if her words left a bitter taste in his mouth. “Yes.” Jongin admits in the end, turning to face her. “But for the sake of our kingdoms and the decree of peace, I will honor our marriage. I promise, I’ll take good care of you and I won’t do you wrong.”

 

This brings a soft smile on Seulgi’s lips. “Jongin, it is easy to say those words but marriage is not like signing a decree. Marriage is the joining of two people together for the rest of their lives. We barely know each other, we’ll have our differences, we might fight in the future, we might not even suit each other and worse, we might grow tired of each other and found…” she stops herself abruptly, not wanting to finish her sentence and realizing that she’s speaking faster. Anxiety has her wrapped around its dreadful fingers. Seulgi can’t help herself, though, she’d do anything for her kingdom but marriage? Binding herself to someone she barely knew, to a foreign kingdom, to its customs and regulations and habits and it’s so easy for conflicts to sprout then.

 

She takes a deep breath, realizing Jongin is still waiting for her for. “It’s not as easy as it sounds.”

 

“Perhaps it’s not, but we can simplify it.” he mutters, looking at her straight in the eye. “With all due respect, Seulgi, I am the Crown Prince of Aria and I have no intention on let my people down or failing to do my duty. Yes, we’re probably jumping into a loveless marriage but what is a loveless marriage compared to the weight of the crown? I don’t want to go through with this marriage, same as you, but if marrying you means strengthening the peace and ending the war that has been haunting my people and yours for almost a hundred years… I’d do it. It’s what was expected of me.”

 

This steals the words from . Of course, unlike her, Jongin has been groomed to be a king ever since the day he was born. He will be the ruling monarch, the sole pillar that supports and protect Aria. She should’ve known the reason why Jongin has been very cooperative with the whole marriage because he knows it’s probably for the best for his people. Yet… Crown Prince or not, King or not, Jongin is first and foremost a human. A human with feelings, emotions and wishes—the trinity that can be the downfall for even the wisest prophet.

 

“Tell me, Jongin,” Seulgi says, searching for his eyes. “One of the points in the Decree of Peace is that Aria have to improve the well-being of Altairians living in Aria. After I marry you, I’ll be living in Aria, in your Palace. I am the one whom people look upon to fight for the prosperity of Altairians and there are still many of Altairians that suffered in your Kingdom. So after everything, after the wedding and after I become your wife, will Aria really give me the freedom to improve the livelihood of my people? Will Aria do what is expected of it and work hand in hand with Altair for peace and equality?”

 

Jongin nods, training his gaze on her. “I swear and promise it on my honor. We’ll do this together. Once we marry, we’ll be husband and wife, I’ll protect you and pledged myself to you and I will do everything in my power to help not just my people, but repay Aria’s debt to your people. I promise.” he says, almost desperately. “Are we together in this?”

 

Seulgi stays silent for a few seconds before letting out a sigh. “Yes. Alright.”

 

Jongin smiles and stretches out his hand. “For Altair and Aria.”

 

Seulgi shakes his hand. “For Altair and Aria.”


 

***


 

15th of March, 2018

Andante Palace, Palatine, Aria Kingdom

 

“You make me very proud.” Jongin turns to look at his father, the King, who’s now standing beside him.

 

He smiles. “I’m only doing my duty as a son and Crown Prince.”

 

His words makes the King laughs and Jongin arches an eyebrow. “Seulgi said the same thing when I walked with her down the aisle.” Seungwoo says, answering Jongin’s unspoken question.

 

Jongin doesn’t quite know what to make of this information, so he stays quiet, looking at the streams of guests that fills the whole ballroom, flocking his wedding reception. Seulgi is in the dancefloor, smiling as she danced with her twin brother Wonwoo. She’s changed her wedding gown to a simpler white, silverish gown made of satin and flowy skirt that ripples like a sea of silver everytime she spins. The fairy lights above her and the strobe lights from the stage sprouting colors, blue, pink, purple, green, yellow and red, vivid hues reflected on the whiteness of her gown and her skin. She looks like a moving photograph, a rainbow sprite bursting with colors.

 

When he saw her walking down the aisle, he lost his words and for a moment it feels like there’s nothing in this world except him and her. Which is quite dumb, really, and it somewhat surprises him. Not that Seulgi isn’t pretty. She’s beautiful, ridiculously beautiful but today, with that beautiful gown and the makeup and the tiara on her head, she looked like an angel, like Aphrodite herself. Her beauty dims out others around her. Jongin admits when he finally get a good look of her in the altar, his brain short-circuited, drowning in her dark, feline eyes.

 

“She is a good kid. Fit to be a queen. She has fire in her.” Seungwoo says again, peering at his oldest son.

 

“That’s good to know.” Jongin chooses to say, his cheeks flushed when he remembers their kiss at the altar. How innocent and sweet, as if they have loved each other before.

 

But they don’t.

 

“Jongin.” His father calls and Jongin forces himself to obey. “You will be the shield of this Kingdom one day. The road there will be long, hard and slippery. You’d easily lose your way, sometimes you’d think you’re doing the right thing but it’s not. Always remember, even in your darkest moments, to keep integrity, love and virtue as your guide.”

 

Frowning, Jongin opens his mouth to speak, only to close it again. “I will do everything for the Kingdom, Father, you know that. You know what sorts of things I’ve willingly sacrificed.” He answers, regretting the way bitterness slipped into his tone.

 

The king only smiles. “You are still young,” he says. “But you are my son and not only that I trust you with this family, this kingdom and its people, I have faith that you can do it. Properly.”

 

“Your faith in me is enough, Father.” The Crown Prince murmurs before gazing at the dancefloor again.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter