Nine.

fac ut ardeat cor meum (amor vincit omnia)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

I'm baaaaaaaaack! I gotta say when you stopped writing for months, getting back was such a challenge. I literally forgot a lot of english words like ??? Like I keep on rewriting this chapter hasdhasd.

Right. On to the chapter.

I honestly don't care if there are any ikon antis out there you can take the ikon boys, especially hanbin and bobby, from my cold dead hands. IN THIS STORY WE WILL GIVE HANBIN THE LOVE!! AND!! RESPECT!! HE DESERVE! God i love him and i miss him it HURTS lemme cry a little eye-

And if you guys need more affirmation: yes, our Seulgi is starting to fall for Jongin here guys but she's dense and will second-guess everything while also being pessimistic because that's what makes a love story so angstily delicous.

Also, we get to explore more side of Jongin here, which I *really* love. We didn't get to see much of him in the previous chapter except for putting the ministers back on their place because 1) That meeting was to discuss about what Aria, as a kingdom, should do to fulfill the point in the Decree of Peace and one of them was to improve the welfare of Altairians in Aria, 2) Therefore, as the only Altairian in the room, Seulgi deserves the time and place to lead the meeting. Her voice needs to be heard. But in this chapter, we'll explore a bit of Jongin's side, especially in leadership and his role as the future king.

The dynamic between the Arian ultranationalists and the Arian government in this story is inspired by Japan and its ultranationalists, as well as my own country with its toxic religion extremists. It's a toxic relationship but I remember my lecturer once said Japan actually keeps their ultranationalists because they're the ones who have blind devotion to the empire. While in my country, those religion extremists are like the easy way to secure a seat in the government, like golden ticket to win politics lmao. I do want to emphasize that Seungwoo IS a good character, he's a good king, father, and leader, but a leader is a tough position and I figured that, in truth, they don't really have that much freedom to act what they want because in politics, everyone has agendas, right?

Lastly, I gotta say I at writing fluff or sweet scenes that makes your heart swell, but I'd like to take pride that Jongin and Seulgi really bond over casual things like random late night talks before they go to bed. Aha.

Do you guys like it when I go over the scenes in the chapters like this? I like that I get to explain things over but sometimes it can be too much for my lazy lmao. ALSO I made a spotify playlist for this story, do you guys want to check it out?

IX.

an nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

 

 

“-Behind me we can see Kim Hanbin, a renowned Altairian-Arian singer and songwriter entering the palace grounds. He hasn’t been the first Altairian-Arian to be summoned, following activist Lee Sunmi and CEO of the Neo Culture Enterprise, Lee Taeyong-”

 

“Rumor has it that the Royal Family is setting up a foundation that focuses on improving the welfare of Altairian-Arian. Not much details have been given yet but judging from the prominent Altairian-Arian figures who have been summoned to the Palace since last week, I’d say it’s true-”

 

“Will this be the first step that Aria took to improve the livelihood of Altairian-Arian in this kingdom? Perhaps it will. Only time will tell.”


 

*


 

Kim Hanbin is young, yet there is strength and maturity emanating from him. Young in appearance, but hardened and matured through experience. He grew up in poverty in the slums of Verona, now he’s one of the country’s most famous artists and songwriter. Yet it’s not his fame that makes Seulgi and Jongin extend an invitation for him. He’s one of the few artists who has the courage to voice the injustice and discriminations Altairians have experienced through his music and because of that, he had the youths rallied behind him.

 

“Your Highness, Princess Seulgi,” he bows humbly when Seulgi and Jongin enter the room.

 

His gaze is strong and sharp, politely sitting down after Jongin told him to.

 

"Thank you for coming," Jongin smiles, "I hope your journey went well?"

 

Hanbin mimics the prince's smile. "I did, Your Highness. But I'm also quite nervous. It's not everyday you got summoned to the Andante Palace." he answers with an airy tone. "Oh, and congratulations for your marriage. I wish all the best of luck."

 

"Thank you." Seulgi replies, somehow feeling a bit bashful. "I trust you've read the letter we sent you a week ago?"

 

Seulgi and Jongin had personally written the invitation letter since two weeks ago. As funny as it seemed, she was nervous but giddy as well, counting the days until she could meet the possible candidates.

 

The fact that they survived the cabinet meeting is still quite surreal for Seulgi, yet they don't have much time to breathe. She's still annoyed that only three points are passed but they have to work with what they have. Things quickly got busier and busier and their days are a series of meetings, discussions, planning and debates.

 

"I did. It was an honor," Hanbin nods, though his tone lingers vaguely in the air. "Although I can't help but wonder what makes the Crown Prince and Princess consider me. I'm no politician, I don't even have a degree. I'm just a person who makes music."

 

Jongin looks amused. "Perhaps so." he answers, leaning his body forward. "However it's undeniable that you have a strong influence in Arian pop culture, as well as the youngsters. You established your own music label at 20 and you helped Altairian-Arians musicians to flourish. You're one of the game changers in the music industry right now."

 

A quiet chuckle escapes Hanbin's lips. "Your Highness, I assure you it's not as amazing as how you said it."

 

"You have courage," Seulgi speaks up. "You revived the Altairian culture which were erased during the colonization. Not only that you have a deep understanding of our culture, but you revive and innovate it to be something everlasting. Not many people can do that. And not just that, young people in this kingdom, be it Arians or Altairian-Arians, they rally behind you, they listen to you and they look up to you."

 

Hanbin doesn't respond immediately. He seems to be deep in thought, ruminating before looking up at Jongin and Seulgi. "If it's just for gaining support from the youngsters, surely Your Highnesses already have enough. Even in the eyes of Altairians, the Crown Prince is regarded with respect, and needless to say Princess Seulgi already has the fullest support from the younger generations of this kingdom."

 

"Perhaps so," Seulgi murmurs. "But I'd like to think more hands cover more grounds."

 

It's silent for a few seconds and Seulgi exchanges glance with Jongin before continuing. "You grew up in poverty and had to give up higher education in order to support your sister's school tuition. You know what it felt like starting from zero and building your career from scratch. Once your career took off, you raised awareness for the injustice Altairian-Arians have endured and you still keep in touch with your roots. You didn't shut your door for your people, or anyone who needed it."

 

A sigh escapes Hanbin's lips. "My father was the one who taught me music. He was a factory worker and passed away when I was 10. Mercury poisoning." he starts, mulling over his words. "When I was little I'd often see Arian police abusing him, my neighbors, my friends… They did it to us not only because we were poor, but also because we're Altairians."

 

Jongin looks slightly uncomfortable, a sign of incompetence sprawled carelessly in front of his face. Yet it is the truth. Whatever the Arian has been doing is not enough. But they still have time. There's still a lot of time to mend things.

 

"Such injustice had been an everyday thing for me once, and I know it's also an everyday thing for poor Altairian-Arian children in this kingdom. That's why I could never forget my roots." Hanbin continues. If he senses Jongin's discomfort, he has the decency not to let it show. "What does my Crown Prince and Princess ask of me?"

 

A smile creeps up on Seulgi’s lips as she exchanges a glance with Jongin. He nods and Seulgi continues. “The Foundation For The Welfare of Altairian-Arians have different departments, different focus and goals for each department. We would like to extend you the honor of being the Deputy for the Arts and Culture Department.”

 

Hanbin nods, for the first time, a bashful smile creeps up his face. “That would be a great honor,” he answers slowly. “But I’m still young, Your Highness. I’m younger than both of you.”

 

Jongin arches an eyebrow. “Only two year younger than me and one year younger than Seulgi.” he counters, all traces of discomfort gone from his body. “But as people say, young people often have innovative minds. Looking back, it was our youth who initiated peace and ended the Cold War while our elders still wallow in the shadows of the past. I’m not saying we should just forget the past, but it is time for us to head in a new direction with a breath of fresh air.”

 

The artist smiles wider. “Well, if the Crown Prince and Princess ask it of me, how could I refuse?” he shrugs.

 

“You’ll fill the position?” Seulgi beams, her eyes widen in excitement.

 

“I will do my best.”

 

Seulgi can’t help but let out a relieved laugh, she doesn’t even know why she’s so nervous. “You have our thanks, Hanbin.”

 

Hanbin laughs, rubbing his palms together. “However, I am curious… If I’m the deputy, who’s the head?”


 

*


 

In truth, Seulgi hasn’t gotten any reply from the person she wanted to be head even though she sent his letter first. But Hanbin seemed ecstatic when he heard the name, so she supposes it’s good and it’ll be even better if the person she had in mind agreed.

 

“How was meeting with Hanbin?” Yerim asks as she, Seulgi, Seungwan and Sooyoung are spending their time together in Sooyoung’s mansion at the outskirts of Palatine.

 

“He’s so cool. Thank you for helping us reach him.” Seulgi smiles, “It’s not everyday you meet your favorite artist.”

 

Sooyoung snorts, amusement clear in her eyes. “That’s rich, coming from the future queen of this kingdom.”

 

From Sooyoung's right, Seungwan smiles. “I’m sure he’s even more nervous to meet you.”

 

This makes Seulgi laugh. “I’m still human, I can be a fan of someone, too.”

 

“Of course you can,” Sooyoung smiles cutely as she shoves a spoonful of raspberry cake into and sighs. “This is so good Seungwan, you keep on getting better and better everyday.”

 

A light blush ghosts over Seungwan’s cheek but she looks proud. “I had asked the chef to teach me. Baking is fun and I’m glad you like it.”

 

“Honestly at this point I don’t even see the need for you to have a chef.” Yerim points out, waving her spoon in front of Seungwan’s face.

 

“Because I don’t always have time to cook for myself.” Seungwan shakes her head.

 

“You would if you’d just cut yourself some slack and don’t overwork yourself,” Yerim shrugs.

 

Aside from working at the Palatine Historical Museum, which is the biggest museum in Aria, home for historical artefacts and art pieces from different parts of the world, Seungwan is currently taking her master degree at the University of Palatine, the most prestigious university in Aria. On top of that, Seungwan also fills in the position as one of the singers in the Royal Opera House.

 

"Sometimes I wonder if your actual schedule is even busier than me or Jongin." Seulgi shakes her head as she stares at the other girl. "And we barely even have time to rest."

 

Seungwan waves her hands casually. "It's okay to be busy while we're still young and fit."

 

"Only you would say that." Sooyoung chuckles before shifting her attention back to Seulgi. "Speaking of Jongin, I heard some juicy gossip." she starts, a mischievous smile curving on her lips.

 

Seulgi falters. "Oh?"

 

"I heard you had a screaming match with Hong Seunghyun and the ever gallant Crown Prince defended you."

 

Seungwan let out a sigh. "Come on, Sooyoungie, let's not over glorify what Jongin did because one, it's common decency, two, I'm sure Seulgi was already more than capable to handle Seunghyun."

 

"She's right." Yerim says, slicing her cake while looking at Sooyoung knowingly. "Let's not give Jongin any excuse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter