Good Byes

Closer
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dara’s POV

 

What is he saying? I think my head is going to explode from migraine and his persistence! Both of us have stopped eating now.

 

“I am serious too, Dr. Jiyong,” I continue. “I didn’t come from a rich family. I rather spend my time and effort doing things that I need and are productive. I don’t want to be another burden to my family. And I might become one if we get involved with each other,” I look down.

 

“Dara, listen to me. Yes, I have a bad reputation around women but I am telling you, I am not fooling around this time. I am serious about you. You might think that everything happens so fast... but... but just give me a chance, will you?” He reaches for my hands and cups it with his both hands. It feels warm.

 

“I-I don’t know, doc.” I really don’t know. I am really confused. I want to get to know him but I doubt this will work out between the two of us. “Do you know that I am older than you? Besides, YGMC clearly prohibits romantic relationships inside the hospital.”

 

“I know I am younger by two years, Dara. And I don’t care. I just finished school earlier than my age. I don’t take it against you. YGMC prohibits it INSIDE the hospital, Dara. YGMC can’t control our lives. Besides, you will end your internship here in a year. Then let’s figure it out if you’re going to train here for residency. I am so ing serious that I am thinking about it that far already!” He hisses.

 

“No, Dr. Jiyong. I am FOUR years older than you. I am two years older than my batch. I didn’t go to medschool right away,” I honestly feel sad now.

 

“And so?” His forehead forms a crease. “It doesn’t matter. Please. If you are confused right now, don’t reject me right away, think about it first. I will give you time if you need to,” he bites his lower lip.

 

“Okay, I will think about it if that’s what you want,” I give in. “Let’s go back to the callroom. They might be needing our help.”

 

As we stand up, I experience rotatory dizziness and my sight becomes blurry. I can’t hear anything. I see him reaching for me... and then everything blacks out.

 

 

————————————————————

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

As we are about to go out of the cafeteria, I notice Dara is getting out of balance that I immediately reach for her. She loses her consciousness and luckily I am able to pull her to me. I hug her to support her body. I ask people around to call the medics to respond immediately and bring stretcher bed to transfer her to the emergency room with minimal damage. While waiting, I remove her long coat for her to breathe. I lay her down on an empty and check for her pulse and breathing. She’s breathing but her skin feels a little cold. It can’t be hypoglycemia, we just ate. What? Jiyong? I hope this is nothing serious. I remember she was massaging her head once in a while this morning and she looks really pale.

 

“What happened to her, Jiyong?” Daesung asks worriedly as he approaches us.

 

“I don’t know, she just... she lost her consciousness but she didn’t mention anything unusual earlier although she was pale and stopped what she was doing once in a while to massage her forehead. I’m sorry. I checked her just now,” I say.

 

After few seconds, she gains her consciousness.

 

“I-I am sorry for bothering you and the others, Dr. Jiyong. I feel okay now,” what the hell is she saying?

 

“No, you’re not. Are you feeling pain in the chest or any part of your body? How about numbness?” I worriedly ask her.

 

“Don’t be so hard headed, Dara! Just relax, okay?” Daesung scolds her.

 

“I’m just having a headache which I can tolerate now,” the stretcher bed arrives and she’s refusing to be examined. I insist that she needs to be seen so I carry her up to the stretcher bed and help the aides in transferring her to the emergency room. Upon arrival to the ER, I instruct the nurse-in-charge to connect her to cardiac monitor while waiting for the 12L ECG, to check for her random blood sugar, to hydrate, and to request for CT scan of the brain. I am glad for our nurses here in YGMC. They are very efficient and knowledgeable. I know that the nurse-in-charge knows what to do but because I am really worried that something bad is happening to Dara, I give the nurse instructions upon arrival anyway. I personally assess Dara. I ask her past medical history and do physical examination. So far no deficit in both motor and sensory aspects. I decide to give her an intravenous pain killer. While completing her medical paper, I see Bom and Chaerin approaching her and Daesung. Good thing that we don’t have too much on our plates now that these old kids can stay with Dara. Bom then approaches me.

 

“Dr. Jiyong?” She asks.

 

“Yes, Bom? Before you say anything, I know you were pissed at me because I left you yesterday. I am sorry. I will make it up to you. And thank you for checking on Dara today. You can stay here in the ER with Dara. I’ll just tell TOP what happened,” I say.

 

“It’s okay, Dr. Jiyong. I am just really worried with Dara. Did she get CT Scan?” She asks.

 

“She’ll be brought to the CT scan room after few minutes. I am just waiting for the aides from Radiology department to fetch her. Is there a problem?” I ask curiously.

 

“I don’t know, Dr. Jiyong. She’s under PCOS treatment and there might be some medication that increases the risk of or something,” she informs me.

 

I rai

Please log in to read the full chapter