A Broken Tie

A Broken Tie

Mingyu tightened his hold on the gift he had in his pocket and waited as you gave his request a thought. He knew how inconvenient it may be for his sudden request but he had to ask before he chickens out.

He heard you sigh at the end of the other line but the air of gentleness on your next words somehow gave him relief.

“Okay, Gyu. 5 minutes.”

A smile started to grow on Mingyu's lips as did the tiny hope he'd been keeping in his heart. It's now or never.


The noise of the hairdryer mixed in with the bass of Eric Nam’s Into You that was playing in the salon. Mingyu bobbed his head as he took a section of hair and blow dried it, brushing its end to a soft curl and letting it set. He hovered around his client, eyeing each side with his sharp gaze. He took a step back and smiled.

“How do you like it?”

The lady looked up to the mirror and examined herself, turning her head from side to side and letting the ends bounce a little. She smiled. “Perfect. And very quick as always.”

Mingyu watched one of his regular clients leave satisfied with her new hair before cleaning his station. She's his seventh client for today and it was only a couple of hours since they opened. The day's going well.

“Mr. Kim, are you finished?” Jia called out from the information desk. “We have a client waiting.”

“Yeah, I'm just about done,” Mingyu called back, pushing his cart to the side and brushing all the hair from the chair. “Busy, busy,” he sang to himself.

He looked up to see the client approaching, smiling sheepishly at him. Mingyu nodded and returned the smile.

“Hi. I'm Mingyu.”

“Y/n.”

“Y/n,” he echoed, motioning for you to sit down on the chair. “What can I do for you?”

You met his eyes through the mirror's reflection and held the tips of your hair with your fingers. “I'm not exactly sure. I've always had this hairstyle but I feel like changing it today. Any suggestions?”

“Well...” Mingyu eyed your hair from the side and combed it with his fingers, feeling them gently as he decided what to do. “How about going for a slightly different color? Say, chocolate mauve?” he said, bringing himself for a closer look. “It's a combination of a darker brown for the base and light pink giving your hair kind of a subtle highlight on it so it’s not that drastic of a change. Then we can layer it and trim it just a tad bit shorter. What do you...are you alright?” he asked, his brows furrowed as he straightened up. “You look flushed.”

“Sorry,” you coughed, averting your eyes from his reflection. “I just never had such an attractive hairdresser before.”

Mingyu brought his lips together into a small smile. “Why, thank you. Most of my clients just stare at me. I've kind of wondered why.”

“Oh please. I bet you hear it all the time,” you laughed, getting comfortable in your chair as Mingyu draped the cutting gown on you.

“Well, if I may say so myself,” he said clipping the gown in place and putting a hand on your shoulder, “with a little Mingyu touch, you’ll see an even prettier version of yourself.”

The shameless self-praise earned him an amused stare and the rolling of eyes from you until you noticed how shyly he was smiling. Mingyu giggled sheepishly before reaching for a comb and a couple of clips from his apron pocket. “Shall we?”

It was the first of your many visits to that salon and the start of your growing friendship with Mingyu.

Mingyu was a charming social butterfly to start with, making sure to chat up with his clients to either ease the boredom or stress they had or to help better visualize the hairstyles his clients wanted. But between you two, it was more than just business.

Every time you would come in, Mingyu would light up and treat you like one would with a longtime friend. There were even times where harmless flirting and teasing would occur. Mingyu reasoned that he only gets to act like it because he mostly had aunts as his regulars and getting customers around his age was rare. But what really helped solidify it was how good he was with his job.

Sometimes, staff would ask him for advice when a client doesn’t know what they want and Mingyu would happily pitch in hairstyle ideas. He knew what fit them best. Whether it was some type of hair treatment, a new style, or a new color, he knew just what to do. This was the reason why you recommended him for events outside.

Mingyu was ecstatic. Not only did he get the chance to expand his connections but he also got to challenge himself more in his field. Well, of course, the extra pay was a factor too. Whether it’s for a debut, prom, a photoshoot, or a wedding, Mingyu was the one you called. His days got busier and months passed by in a flash but Mingyu was more than happy, least to say, and he was happy for more than one reason.

Mingyu ran his fingers through your hair one more time before setting the bangs on the side and announced that it was done. He watched as you admired it in the mirror. It’s been a while since you set an appointment for yourself. Busy times, you said.

While you were distracted, Mingyu took a deep breath and fished for a hair tie he had been keeping in his pocket. “Here,” he said giving you the tie. “It's a birthday gift.”

“Birthday...Mingyu?” you asked with a growing smile on your face. You mentioned it once on the way home from an event together but it was weeks ago, not to mention a casual slip in of the info.

Mingyu shook his hands as if to reject any thoughts you were having. “I was out shopping with my sister when I saw it. You mentioned that your birthday was coming up, right? But I didn't know when exactly so I thought, why not?” he said shrugging. “And I noticed you stopped wearing your old tie on your wrist so...” He waited as you eyed the black hair tie with a thin strap of leather ribbon on it. “Do you like it?” he asked, chewing on his lower lip.

You shook your head in disbelief and grinned. “Kim Mingyu. It's perfect. I lost my old one, you know, and I always forget to buy a new one.” You brought the tie on your wrist and admired its simplicity. “Can't use it now since you did just style my hair but I'll definitely use it a lot.”

You turned to look at him and narrowed your eyes. “Look at you being attentive and nice,” you teased.

“Can't help it. I'm too perfect,” he answered back with a haughty smile only to retreat when you hit him playfully on the arm.

“Well, I appreciate the gift a lot.”

The both of you shared a smile until your phone rang. You grabbed your phone to see an urgent text from Yongguk and frowned. “Shoot.”

“Late for your date?”

You nodded as you got up from your seat, taking another look at your new hair. “Even though I told him I was here and would take time. I should probably get there while he hasn’t eaten my food yet,” you laughed.

Mingyu walked with you to the counter and waited as you paid. “I say, he'll forget about everything else when he sees you. You look great,” he said, clearing his throat in an exaggerated way while coughing his name.

“What do you mean? I always do.”

“True but I styled you hair today so...”

You shook your head and laughed. Is it really a conversation with him without the occasional self-praise? “Whatever you say, mister. Thanks again!” you waved goodbye as you walked out of the shop.

Mingyu kept the smile on his face until you disappeared from his view. It's been roughly a year since you two met. He was happy about the friendship and the help you’ve given him. Really, he was. But if he were to be honest, he wished that he met you earlier then maybe certain things would have been different.

“Maybe.”

The visits and business invites continued for another year and so did your friendship. This time, you would even hang out outside of your hair appointments, mostly going cafe hunting or out shopping. It was a few of the things you shared in common and the only two things your partner didn't exactly have enough patience for. Mingyu had no problems filling in on those times as a friend. It was a genuinely fun activity for him but he certainly didn’t mind spending more time with you.

Mingyu told himself repeatedly to not give meaning to anything. He respected what you and your partner had. You were happy. That's what was important. He was lucky enough to actually know you more than just a client from the salon. He dared not to be greedy at all. He didn’t want to take advantage of anything and resigned to quietly treasure what he had with you until one day when you came in with a troubled face.

“You okay? You didn’t schedule an appointment today. Although, there’s no problem about that since we don’t have that many clients today—”

“Mingyu. I want a short haircut.”

The request made Mingyu raise an eyebrow for a number of reasons though he obliged. One, he knew he shouldn't generalize but don't most people go for a drastic change when something large-scale happens? And most of the time they didn't mean any good? And two, you never had a short haircut. Never.

Mingyu voiced out his growing concern. “What happened?”

You took a deep breath before answering, your eyes fixed on your own reflection in the mirror. “I'm stressed.”

“I can see that. Are you sure with this length?” he asked, placing a lock of your hair between his fingers. You nodded. “What are you stressed out for?” Mingyu positioned the scissor, ready to start, albeit hesitantly.

“Yongguk proposed to me.”

Mingyu blinked. The scissor in his hand hovered a few centimeters from your hair. The sound of the hairdryers, chatter, and the music died down as he tried focusing on your voice. “He...proposed?”

“Yes.”

“Like…for marriage?”

You sighed. “Yes.”

Mingyu felt the cold weight of the scissors in his hand. His eyes…there was nothing wrong with them, except that he had a hard time not looking at you as he tried focusing on your hair. “And this stresses you out because?”

“I'm not sure if I'm ready.”

Mingyu swallowed. He moved his seat to the side and started snipping little by little. He's always been a fast worker but he couldn't help but want things to slow down. He needed a second. Your news was too out of the blue. This morning, he woke up thinking that it will be another normal day at work. How come it wasn’t the case? “So...what did you say?”

You gave him a quick look once you saw him place the scissor down on his lap. His eyes were watchful, gentle, as he always was. You shrugged and gave him a weak smile. “I told him I needed time. I do want to marry him but it’s just…it’s just a little out of the blue, you know?”

Mingyu gave you a little smile and hoped that his voice would not betray him. “I know.”

The troubled look on your face became engraved in Mingyu's mind. The days passed by normally, oh yes. He went to work, spent time with his friends and family, and sometimes opted for some time alone. But there was never a day when he didn’t think about you and the painful irony of losing someone he’s never had.

Mingyu gripped the mug of beer he was having while he was out with a couple of old friends. It’s been three weeks since your announcement and roughly the same time since he last saw you. You met once for coffee a few days after the  news but that was it. He knew it was stupid but he also thought that it was the right thing to do; Mingyu tried not to get involved as much with you, distancing himself the best he can. It’ll be less painful, right? He thought about letting his thoughts and feelings cool down. That was until he got a few messages from you.

It was just a couple of simple words. They meant nothing at all. But somehow, Mingyu found his eyes stinging and the tears were starting to pile up.

It has been a good year. It’s been two years since you first walked in the salon and it’s been a year since he noticed the feelings he had for you. It really has been a good year even though what he felt was different from yours.

“It gave up, huh,” he laughed bitterly, thinking about the year-old tie he gave you and the smile you had on your face. He drew his lips into a thin line and glanced at the time. Stores are closed by now but he wanted to give it a try. It’s no use moping when he basically did nothing. Tomorrow, he thought, sending his heart into a craze with his plan. Tomorrow.


Mingyu didn’t waste any time once he got what he needed. He scrolled through his contacts and found your name. It rang once. Twice. Finally, you picked up the phone, surprised to see him calling.

“Can we meet now?” Mingyu asked.

“Now?” you echoed, sounding unsure. Mingyu heard you excuse yourself, the clinking of cutlery, and the soft music playing in the background. You were out. “I’m kind of occupied right now so I’m not really—”

“I just need five minutes,” Mingyu blurted. “That’s all I need.”

Mingyu tightened his hold on the gift he had in his pocket and waited as you gave his request a thought. He knew how inconvenient it may be for his sudden request but he had to ask before he chickens out.

He heard you sigh at the end of the other line but the air of gentleness on your next words somehow gave him relief.

“Okay, Gyu. 5 minutes.”

A smile started to grow on Mingyu's lips as did the tiny hope he'd been keeping in his heart. It's now or never.


To say that Mingyu was nervous would be an understatement. Heck, he thought his heart and brain were on a rollercoaster with every step he took towards where you were meeting. Back and forth, up and down, his heart and mind pulled him in two different directions but his feet kept on walking.

Two blocks. One block. There were only a few steps left until he arrives at the restaurant you were in when he saw you waiting outside.

You, being the simple person you are, were dressed in a plain shirt, jeans, and a thin coat. Your short hair made you stand out but maybe it was because he’s still not used to seeing you with it. But for Mingyu, however you were dressed or whatever hairstyle you had didn’t change how he saw you for the first time.

The day when you first met, he saw how unsure you were when you walked in the salon. Even when he asked you what you wanted after taking 15 minutes to finish up with his previous client, you still weren’t sure. Now, he had clients like that before, so what was it exactly? He wasn’t sure. Maybe it was how shy and flustered you looked while staring at him, not knowing that he knew. Or maybe it was the immediate switch from strangers to friends the moment you decided to play with his witty remarks. All he knew was that he was instantly charmed and boy, was that charm strong and long-lasting.

Mingyu can’t help but smile as he stood a few feet from you, watching you from a safe distance. You’ve always been beautiful in his eyes.

You turned to see Mingyu standing right at the corner of the restaurant. “Mingyu!”

Mingyu walked towards you with his hand squeezing the gift he had in his pocket for assurance. He had such limited time. He couldn’t waste it.

“Did you see my text last night? I’m really sorry about the tie,” you started. “I have no idea how it happened but it was getting loose already before it broke.”

“No, it’s fine,” Mingyu tried to smile amidst the nervousness that was slowly overwhelming him. “Listen. Y/n.” 

His words got lost in the wind when he saw someone walk out of the restaurant and headed towards you, realizing who it was from the pictures you’ve shown him.

Mingyu’s body turned hollow with only the beating of his heart reverberating inside. He tried averting his eyes from the one place that would confirm it all but curiosity got the best of him. His eyes landed on your hand and there he saw a ring. The rock on it was shining, almost as if mocking him from being late. Too late.

“...or maybe it got caught in something…”

Mingyu scoffed at himself, his eyes not able to look at anything but the ground beneath his feet. Mingyu wanted to walk away. He wanted to blame himself for digging his own grave. “It’s okay,” he said softly. “I don’t think you will need it anymore anyway.”

“I mean, I guess I can't now but maybe when my hair grows, you know?”

“Hey. They were wondering what was taking so long so I came to get you,” the guy said standing next to you and grabbing your hand. “Ah. This must be Mingyu. I’m Yongguk,” he said, extending a hand. “We’ve never officially met, haven’t we?”

Mingyu shook his hand but it was like betraying himself when he did as if he really was accepting his loss. “Yeah,” he said, clearing his throat. “I guess.”

“Yongguk, this is Mingyu, the one I’ve been telling you about. Mingyu, this is Yongguk, my fiancé.”

With what little strength he had, Mingyu willed himself to look at you in the eyes, hoping he heard you wrong but the smile you both had and the rings on your hands were more than enough. “You…finally said yes?” he said with a weak smile.

“We talked it out. We did a lot of talking actually since that day and I’m feeling more at ease about it.” You took a glance at Yongguk and gave his hand a squeeze.

“I see.”

“By the way, you’re the first to know, okay? And the first outside of family to be invited although we’re still discussing the details. You’re doing my hair, of course, but I am inviting you first and foremost as my friend,” you laughed before catching the serious look Mingyu had. You bit your lips. “Will that be okay with you?”

As if his body knew before he could process it, Mingyu already had a smile plastered on his face. What he was seeing in front of him was such a beautiful picture that he didn’t dare mess it up in any way. Not right now when you were looking at him the same way when he first talked to you. Not when you looked so happy.

Mingyu looked at you both and smiled. “Of course. I’ll be there. It’s your important day, isn’t it?”

Mingyu watched your face brighten at his response, a complete opposite of the turmoil that was thrashing him from inside. “Ah. I actually just wanted to see you very randomly before I go to this meeting,” he started, willing his voice to be steady. “I’m gonna be late so...”

The smile on your face faltered but he seemed keen to go. “Oh. Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright. See you then?” you asked.

Mingyu nodded and walked past you and went on his way. He wanted to stop seeing what was in front of him if it meant faking another smile. He wanted to be happy for you. He really did. But all he could do was blink the stinging tears away as he clutched the hair tie and his unspoken confession that he meant to give to you but he was too late.