Chapter 1

My Dearest Love

Chapter 1

 

It wasn’t meant to be, Hyuna knew. She knew where her heart was and being forced into a marriage wasn’t it. So here she was, sitting on a bench with only a few wons in her pockets. She looked across the busy street of Seoul and chuckled to herself. She looked absolutely ridiculous. 

 

Her thick framed glasses and newly colored hair, she believed no one would recognize her. She kicked her feet back and forth waiting for the bus. It was her only mode of transportation for the past week. 

 

In her heart she knew it was wrong to run away leaving only a note to her family but she just couldn’t do it. Running away seemed like a better choice at the time than marrying someone she didn’t love. She knew the man even before their marriage was announced but she did not love him. It would be a one sided love. He did not deserve that. 

 

“Ugh!” Hyuna groaned thinking about her dilemma. “Why did this have to happen to me?” Hyuna bent over, pulling her knees towards her chest. “Mom, dad, you understand me, right?” She closed her eyes, breathing out a sigh. “I’m sorry.” 

 

Things haven’t been easy. Hyuna knew that better than anyone. The reason why her parents wanted her to marry was for the Kims to join together that their businesses would be stable. She remembered how happy her parents looked that day when the agreement was made. She remembered the look in his eyes. Everyone was so happy that they forgot about Hyuna’s feelings. 

 

She was human after all. She was allowed to have emotions. She hid them well until it the day came and she decided to leave for good or at least until they cancel the engagement. 

 

“Wonsik, I can’t marry you,” Hyuna whispered. Another sigh left her lips. 

 

“Hyuna?” 

 

Hyuna’s eyes shot open at the sound of the familiar voice. She looked directly in front of her and saw the face of the man she was trying to get away from sitting inside the passenger side of the car. 

 

“Hyuna!” 

 

Hyuna hurried to her feet. She began running without looking back. She couldn’t believe it, Wonsik found her. Not for long. She wasn’t going back. If it meant breaking his heart for him to understand that she doesn’t love him then be it. 

 

***

 

Jiyong cleared his throat as he tightened his necktie. His fingers were shaking slightly as he was doing so. He was nervous. This was going to be the lunch where he’d tell his mother about his girlfriend. 

 

Goo Hara. They’d been together for two years now. He never told his parents because he knew they would never approve of their relationship. Not only that  but little over three months ago, Hara left to study abroad. Their relationship remained strong though. 

 

Jiyong remembered his parents wanted him to marry from a family higher up. Jiyong didn’t agree to it. He remained in his relationship with Hara despite his parents wishes. 

 

He smiled down at his phone as he stared at the picture of him and Hara. He missed her all this time and could not wait for her to come back. His last promise to her before she left was to marry her when she returns. 

 

His smiled faded when a loud bang at the front entrance of the restaurant caught his attention. Shrieks came from customers near by and Jiyong watched confusedly as he saw an red head female run in like a maniac. She turned in his direction and without a second thought ran towards him.

 

The female crawled beneath the table cloth. Jiyong quickly lifted the table cloth and caught glimpse of the scared female. 

 

“What are you—” 

 

“Shh!” Hyuna hushed with a finger to her lips. “Close it! Close it!” 

 

“What?” Jiyong was about to speak again but Hyuna snatched the table cloth from his hands. “Now wait a minute just what do you think you’re doing?”

 

“Please be quiet,” Hyuna hushed.

 

“What?” 

 

Just then a man ran through the entrance. He looked out of breath as he searched the restaurant with his eyes. 

 

Jiyong acted naturally. He felt the woman underneath the table gripping onto his pants. When the man didn’t see who he was looking for he quickly left out the doors. Jiyong waited until the man was out of sight before lifting the table cloth to inform the female.

 

“He’s gone,” Jiyong said. 

 

Hyuna slowly peaked her head out from beneath the table. Her head turned both ways just to make sure Wonsik wasn’t anywhere in her sights. When she made sure he wasn’t she quickly dashed out from beneath the table. The table cloth had caught onto her and suddenly she dragged everything off the table with her. The glasses and plates shattered loudly and Hyuna froze innocently. She slowly turned around and bit her bottom lip. 

 

“Yah!” Jiyong shouted. 

 

“I am so sorry,” Hyuna said before running out of the restaurant.

 

“Hey, wait a minute!” Jiyong shouted but Hyuna had already left out the door. He apologized to the staff and made compensation payments to them for the damages caused by that weird lady. He also called his mother to reschedule their lunch. He had to get back to work now. 

 

His mood was ruined now. Well it had been way before the weird lady showed up. He knew convincing his parents would be hard but he knew convincing his grandmother would be even harder. 

 

Jiyong received a text notifying him that his grandmother wanted to speak to him. When that happens, work was to be put second. 

 

Jiyong arrived at the Kwon Mansion in no time. Upon his arrival the butlers and maids greeted him. He was escorted to his grandmother’s bedroom right away. 

 

“Jiyong,” Madam Kwon said happily at the foot of her bed. “Come here child.” 

 

Jiyong bowed politely before walking over to his grandmother and kneeling on the floor. He smiled up at her as she held his hands in hers.

 

“Grandma isn’t getting any younger, dear,” she said. “But I will not leave this world until I see you get married and have a family.” 

 

Jiyong chuckled nervously, “What do you mean?” 

 

“I mean it’s time for you to marry the woman your parents have picked out for you.” 

 

Jiyong almost blurted out loud his disapproval for that. There was worry in his eyes and he felt his heart beat pick up. Hara would be returning soon in a couple of months. Until then he just had to stall. 

 

“There’s no need for that, grandma,” Jiyong said. 

 

“Oh?” Madam Kwon said. “Don’t tell me you’ve already found a woman?” Her smile faded when she saw Jiyong’s face fall. “You did.” 

 

Jiyong didn’t miss the disappointment in his grandmother’s voice. “I am going to marry her.” 

 

“Who?” 

 

“Hara.” 

 

Madam Kwon let out a laugh. “You don’t have to lie to get out of this, Jiyong.” 

 

“But I’m not lying!” Jiyong shouted. 

 

“How dare you shout at your grandmother? Have you no respect?” 

 

“I’m sorry but I will marry the one I love not the one you or anyone else chooses for me.” 

 

Madam Kwon nodded. “Fine. Let me meet this Hara of yours. Prove to me that you are in love and I will stop your marriage from happening. Your parents will not have a say if I truly see that you are really in love.” 

 

Jiyong smiled brightly. “Thank you, Grandma!” He hugged her tightly. 

 

“Oomph!” Madam Kwon let out a laugh. “Let me meet her tomorrow.” 

 

Jiyong stilled but he still kept up the act. “Of course. Umm, Grandma I will see you later. I have to get back to work now.” 

 

Bidding goodbye, Jiyong hurriedly left for his office. He paced back and forth not knowing what to do. Hara was in another country. She could not possibly fly out to meet his grandmother. 

 

“You look like you’re thinking too much.” 

 

“Shut up, Seungri.”

 

Seungri chuckled, sitting himself in one of Jiyong’s chairs. “What’s the matter now?”

 

Lee Seungri has been Jiyong’s best friend ever since they were babies. It was as if from their births it was destined that they’d meet and become friends in this lifetime. 

 

A sigh was let out before Jiyong spoke. “In order for my marriage with that other woman to be canceled, grandma wants to meet Hara.” 

 

Seungri shot out of his seat, “Dude, she’s in Japan!” 

 

“You think I don’t know that?!” 

 

Seungri sat back down, “Sorry.” 

 

Jiyong took a seat in his chair. His fingers brushed through his dark hair. He kept tapping the temple of his head with his finger. What was he going to do?

 

“You look desperate so I as your best friend will help you,” Seungri said cheerfully.

 

“How?” 

 

“Duh?!” Seungri shouted slamming his hands on Jiyong’s desk. “You’re Kwon Jiyong of Kwon Enterprises. You just need an ad and bam! You found yourself a Hara.” 

 

Jiyong stared at Seungri skeptically. He thought the idea was crazy but here he was posting ads on the streets of Seoul. He was desperate. 

 

Not even an hour later, woman were piling up at his office door. The ad of course asked for a new secretary but Jiyong must’ve rejected fifty of them in a matter of minutes. He groaned because the line seemed like it was never going to end and still he could not find the perfect candidate. 

 

***

 

Hyuna stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. Her head turned to the empty building and she stared at her reflection. How stupid. Even with these thick frames and her orange hair, she was still recognized. She needed to try harder. If Wonsik found her, her family would certainly recognize her. 

 

In her hands were bags of new accessories so she could disguise herself even better. Wigs, glasses, hats, whatever she could afford for now. Her money was slowly declining. 

 

When she left home, she took what she earned. She left all her cards so that no one would be able to track her down. She even left behind her phone. Basically her entire life she left behind. 

 

Her head looked up at the blue sky. “Please if you’re up there help me—oomph!” She pulled the piece of paper off her face. “What the...” She began reading the paper out of curiosity. “Kwon Enterprises looking for a new secretary. Paying 40,000 won ($40 usd) an hour! No experience necessary!” 

 

Hyuna began jumping up and down happily. She stopped when she noticed the stares she was receiving. She chuckled awkwardly before folding the ad into her pocket. She looked up at the sky again with a wide smile. “Thank you!” 

 

***

 

After all that time Jiyong still couldn’t find the perfect fake fiancé. He was beginning to lose hope. 

 

There was a knock at the door and Jiyong looked up to see Seungri sticking his head in with a wide smile on his face.

 

“What is it now?” Jiyong asked. 

 

“We have one last interview.” 

 

“What? No. No more. I am done.” 

 

“Well I am not, Mr. Kwon,” came a female voice. The female’s eyes widened suddenly but then relaxed before Jiyong could catch a glimpse of her reaction. 

 

Jiyong’s jaw dropped when the woman entered the room. It must’ve really been a long day and he must’ve really been tired because right now he thought his eyes were fooling him. 

 

The woman in front of him was old or at least looked old. As old as his mother, maybe even his grandmother.  He saw the cheeky smile on Seungri’s face. Did he think this was funny? “No! Definitely no!” 

 

“Jiyong, Jiyong, come on,” Seungri begged. “Why not?” 

 

“Yeah why not?” The female asked, placing both her hands on her hips. She held her head high and Jiyong felt as if his head was going to explode. 

 

“Look, I’m sorry but I don’t think you’ll work as—”

 

“Well you haven’t even given me a chance yet.” 

 

“Umm ok sorry?” Jiyong said. “What’s your name?” 

 

“Kim Hyuna.” 

 

“Alright... Kim Hyuna, it was nice meeting you but I’m sorry to say that I reject your application as my—”

 

“What kind of interview is this? Well if you’re not going to hire me then I’ll take my skills elsewhere.” Hyuna began heading towards the door. Jiyong was cheering internally until he saw Seungri rush over to the door and stop her from walking out. He was going to kill him for sure.

 

“Please excuse my friend,” Seunghyun nervously chuckled. “We’ll definitely give you a proper interview. He’s just tired, you know.” 

 

Hyuna turned around and glared at Jiyong, who groaned and walked back to his desk. “Fine, sit.”

 

“That’s more like it,” Hyuna said. “You should know how to treat a woman.” 

 

Jiyong slammed his hands down, giving up already. Actually he gave up the moment the old lady walked into the room. “Listen here ahjumma, this isn’t an interview for a secretary job. I need a fake fiancé for the time being until my real fiancé returns from abroad. You will not be able to do it so just get lost. I tried to save us both some time—“

 

“I’ll do it!” Hyuna shouted. 

 

Jiyong’s face was full of disgust. Was she really that old that nothing he said was going through her mind. “No, no, no. I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say—”

 

“Great!” Hyuna said. “When’s my first day?” 

 

“Uh, tomorrow, just meet us here,” Seungri said scribbling down Jiyong’s address onto a note. He handed it to Hyuna who stuffed it into her purse. 

 

“I’ll see you, both tomorrow then,” Hyuna said. She winked at Jiyong before taking her leave. 

 

As soon as the door closed Jiyong chased Seungri around the office. The male was fuming that his best friend, at this time of crisis would do such a thing to him. 

 

“Do you think this is funny?” Jiyong asked trying to catch the sneaky panda.

 

“I’m sorry, you needed someone and she was the only one left!” Seungri shouted. 

 

“I would’ve came up with an excuse, you dummy!” 

 

“Ok, ok,” Seungri said trying to calm Jiyong down. “When she arrived tomorrow we can just say she’s Hara’s mom.” 

 

“Mom? More like grandmother.” 

 

“Maybe she and your grandmother can bond,” Seungri laughed out loud. Jiyong smacked him, shutting him up. “Sorry.” 

 

“Great. Just great.” 

 

***

 

Jiyong dreaded that tomorrow came. He was hoping the old woman, Hyuna or whatever her name was, would have forgotten about this. When she didn’t show up for fifteen minutes, Jiyong smiled happily. Maybe she got lost. 

 

Another fifteen minutes passed and Jiyong was sure that the old woman would not come. He stood up but stopped when he saw his grandmother walking towards him with a couple of maids by her side. 

 

“Well where is your fiancé?” Madam Kwon asked. 

 

“About that grandma, Hara won’t be able to make it.” 

 

Madam Kwon shook her head. “Canceling at the last minute. I don’t like that. Well when she does decide to meet me, let me know so I won’t waste my time.” 

 

“I’m really, really sorry, Grandma,” Jiyong apologized. “This isn’t really like her at all. Please understand that some things come up.” 

 

“I’ll let it pass this time but certainly not the next.” Madam Kwon walked back to the mansion after the disappointment she heard. 

 

Jiyong let out a breath of relief until he received a phone call. He looked down at the caller I.D and answered.

 

“Hello, Seungri.” 

 

“Uh... Jiyong, I think you should come to the front gate.” 

 

Walking towards the front gate, Jiyong chuckled nervously. “Why?” 

 

“Hyuna’s here.” 

 

“Ugh, tell her to stay right there. I’m telling her that this deal is off and she’s fired. Well she wasn’t even hired in the first place but there is no...” 

 

His words died down when he looked up and the woman in front of him was no longer old. In fact she looked nothing like the woman he saw yesterday in his office. 

 

Her Hair was no longer short, grey and curly but a fiery orange red with bangs. She wore thick framed glasses. Her skin was no longer wrinkly or full of age and dark spots. It was like porcelain. Her eyes were green, he could tell that she was wearing contacts. And there were slight freckles on her face. 

 

“Surprised?” Hyuna asked. “Don’t be. Hi I’m Kim Hyuna.” 

 

“Wow!” Seungri exclaimed. “Tell me what kind of moisturizer do you use?” 

 

“You,” Jiyong said looking at Hyuna. 

 

“Yeah, about the table yesterday, I apologize for that but you were rich anyways so I figured you’d let a girl go,” Hyuna said. “And what about me being an ahjumma?” 

 

Jiyong couldn’t believe his eyes. He must really be losing his mind right now. 

 

“Are you two going to stand there or are we going to discuss business?” Hyuna asked. 

 

“Ah about that Jiyong here feels that there is no need—”

 

“Let’s go,” Jiyong said.