It's Been a While

White Light

Wendy doesn’t quite remember how long it has been since the world ended. She scratched off the days on a wall for weeks, but gave up after she realized it didn’t matter anymore. It was more of a ritual to give her some structure in her life. She started to realize that days didn’t matter in the kind of situation she was in. No one was coming to save her. She held out hope for a while, that someone would come, but no one ever did. At this rate, staying sane, and comprehensive was her main goal. She saw that one movie about the guy stranded on the island. Wendy didn’t want to end up relying on a Wilson. She guessed it had to be that the world ended. There wasn’t a sign of anything, not even animals or bugs. If someone else existed, she figured they would’ve found her by now. She at least would hear a plane flying over or something right? She doesn’t go outside much either. For some odd reason, being in the sun for only five minutes causes her skin to burn. She could go outside at night, but it gets so dark that it feels like she’s being threatened to not go out there.

 

Wendy has dreams about the day everything changed, and every time she dreams of it, she becomes closer to discovering the truth. For now, she can only recall very few memories of what happened. She was touring with her group through the U.S. Her group… who were they? Wendy furrows her brow, trying her best to remember. They were driving to… she can’t remember. She remembers being in their tour bus, nodding off. The girl sitting next to her grabbed Wendy’s arm tightly, and pulled Wendy into her. Wendy remembers being wrapped in her arms, and wondering why she hugged her all of sudden. There was a loud noise, then… then… Wendy grabs her head, and growls under her breath. “Why can’t I remember!” She shouts at the mannequins lining the walls, and falls to her knees, head in her hands.

 

She’s been staying in a mall since, well, this is where she woke up. The mall is small, but has stores with clothes, a bed, and food that will last a while. It gets terrifyingly dark in the mall at night as well due to the lack of electricity, so Wendy tries to go to sleep before then. She’s walking through racks of clothes to pick out an outfit for tomorrow. She’s grateful she doesn’t have to stay in the same clothes every day, and picking out outfits gives her something to do. She shakes her head, and tries to forget about remembering what happened. She pulls an oversized pastel purple sweater off of a clothing rack. She knows someone very important to her loves the color purple, but she can’t remember who. She grabs a pair of jeans, and carries the clothes back to her bed. JC Penney, her new home. Scarlet red light from the sun set pours in through the glass doors. After being weeks in isolation, she isn’t scared someone will walk in while she’s sleeping. Honestly, she hopes someone would walk in already. She lays on the display bed, and it creaks as she settles in. The sounds echo through the lonely mall. Tears swell in Wendy’s eyes. She just wishes someone else was there to keep her from feeling this immense loneliness. As if on que, Wendy hears shuffling on the other side of the store.