THREE

INCOGNITO

‘Calm’. That was what everyone would have thought had they seen Mirai. But she was actually shutting herself down. She was lying flat on her stomach at the roof of a building, her sniper rifle ready with its safety catch on. She was waiting for the correct moment and was unseen.

She had dyed her hair white with light lavender highlights. She was dressed in black and her dark eyes were observing the wild party that was going on in the opposite building. She spotted her target and cocked her rifle.

“Target spotted. Are you ready to fire maknae?” Sato spoke from their headquarters.

She had given Mirai a communication device [through which she was speaking right now].She had hacked into the cameras of the building where the party was being hosted and also the building on which Mirai was in. She had also hacked into the public security cameras present in that particular street.

“Yeah” she replied as she undid the safety catch.

‘BANG.’ She aimed and shot her target at the back of his head, her aim precise. He crumpled onto the floor.

“A clean finish, as usual. Now hurry up and get down from there” Sato gestured at her to hurry.

Mirai put her rifle in a guitar case, hurried down and got into the elevator. The building was an apartment complex, but it was deserted as it was a week day and she was alone. She got out and went to her motorcycle.

She sped away to the headquarters. She loved the feeling of the wind in her hair. It also gave her time to relax. She reached the headquarters and walked into see Nanase waiting for her.

“Eonnie” she smiled.

“Maknae” Nanase hugged her.

They walked into Sato’s control room. It was filled with the latest gadgets and Sato herself was sitting behind one of the computers. There were other employees monitoring various computers. Sato got up and gave Mirai a bone- crushing hug.

“Yo Mirai, Ayane wants you to come to the lab” Akira came in.

[Mirai’s p.o.v.]

You must be thinking that I am a cold-blooded killer. But my target was a scum. He had worked for an organ trafficking ring. He kidnapped people, even little children for the organ trafficking ring and he was a criminal through and through. He deserved to die.

We are the Chika. We are partners and own a security agency, The Chika Agency, one of the best in the world [we inherited it from our parents].But that’s just a front. Actually we are assassins who only kill criminals. We have connections everywhere and we receive help from our friends.

We have connections with the mafia but we don’t do their dirty work. They supply us with weapons so we can’t take them down. This isn’t what we wanted but we have become realistic. We understood that we could never remain untouched.

“We have come a long way haven’t we?” I mused out loud.

”Wow what brought this on?” Asked Sato eonnie confused.

“Nah I was just thinking”

“Hey do you want to keep Ayane waiting? You know how she can get when she’s angry” Nanase eonnie looked like she knew something.

I walked to the lab and knocked on the door.

“Come in” Ayane eonnie was waiting for me.

“Eonnie why did you call me?” I asked her curiously after we hugged.

“Because I missed you” she said dramatically.

“Really” I gave her a look.

“Okay okay. It’s because a certain person from Shinee called” she said laughing.

I thought for a while. “So?”

“Dude really. Your favourite hyung called” she was starting to lose patience.

“Oh Minho hyung called?” I asked her hesitantly.

“Yeah duh” she was laughing at me.

“Why are you laughing at me?’ I asked frustrated.

I didn’t get it. He’s a great guy and I liked him but that’s it. It was a platonic relationship.

“I am sorry but it’s fun to annoy you. So the Shinee hyungs want to meet with us to discuss something” she said becoming serious.

“I bet Taemin hyung misses you” I .

“Yah maknae you wanna die?” She shouted frustrated.

“Hey I meant he misses teasing you” I laughed as she chased me around the lab.

“Did you tell the others?” I asked her as we walked out to get two cups of tea.

“Yeah I did”.

“Oh that’s why she was looking at me weirdly. Watch out Nanase eonnie” I joked as I saw her walking towards us.

“So when are they coming?” Asked Akira eonnie.

“Today evening at five” said Sato eonnie.

“Where are we meeting them?” I asked.

“At our house” said Nanase eonnie.

We went to a meeting. I mean we had a legal business to uphold. Time flew by and we went home.

“I wanna sleep” whined Akira eonnie.

“I am with you” said Nanase eonnie collapsing onto the sofa.

Sato eonnie yawned making us yawn along with her. Her yawn was contagious.

We had freshened up when we heard a knock on our front door. Ayane eonnie went to answer it.

“Annyung hyungs” she greeted and led them to the liing room.

“Annyung” the rest of us chorused.

“If you want something to drink the kitchen’s that way” said Sato eonnie.

“Wow ladylike as usual” said Key hyung sarcastically.

“That’s what you are here for” Sato eonnie retorted.

“Started” Nanase eonnie murmured.

“My fate” said Jonghyun hyung resignedly.

We chatted for a while catching up with each other.

“So what’s up with our favourite maknae?” Minho hyung asked me.

“Same old. What about you hyung?” I asked.

“Well…” we were distracted by Ayane eonnie and Taemin hyung.

“………Missed me?” We heard him asked Ayane eonnie.

“Oh he’s gonna get it” said Nanase eonnie.

“No” Ayane eonnie was close to losing her temper.

“Ah my heart. How could you break my fragile heart?” He clutched his herart dramatically.

“Oh god Key, why did you teach him to be so dramatic?” Said Onew hyung laughing.

“Good. You deserve it for teasing me” Ayane eonnie looked pissed.

We continued chatting for some more time until Akira eonnie cleared for our attention.

“So what did you wanna discuss with us?” She asked.

“Well can you do us a favour?” Asked Onew hyung.

“What is it?” Asked Sato.

“Well we have a group of friends who are really important to us. They witnessed something they shouldn’t have and now they are being targeted by professional killers” said Jonghyun hyung.

The situation seemed similar to their [Shinee’s] situation two years ago.

“So you want us to protect them?” Asked Nanase eonnie hesitantly.

“Yeah and we also want you to find out who is after them” said Key hyung.

“But we won’t tell them we are assassins until we decide to do so” I said firmly.

“Alright” said Taemin hyung.

“So who are the people we are supposed to protect?” Asked Ayane eonnie.

“Okay don’t freak out alright” said Onew hyung.

“We won’t” we chorused.

“It’s the one and only kpop band BTS” said Key hyung.

“What?” We shouted utterly shocked