Prologue

INCOGNITO

                                                         [Nanase's p.o.v.]

I couldn't sleep. I was twisting and turning. Staring at the stars from the balcony didn't work either. I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water hoping that it would help me sleep.

"Omma! Appa!" I heard Mirai screaming. I rushed to her room and saw her sitting up on her bed, tears streaming down her face.

"Omma and Appa...... something bad happened to them, to all our parents" she sobbed.

"Shh, it's alright. You just had a nightmare" I hugged her and her hair to calm her down.

"What happened?" Sato, Ayane and Akira walked in rubbing their eyes.

"She had a nightmare".

"We can't sleep either."

"Can't we just watch a movie or something?" Asked Akira.

"Ask Sato. She's the eldest" I said. Mirai had calmed down.

"Are you alright maknae?" Asked Ayane looking concerned.

Mirai nodded. She was quiet by nature.

"Yeah we'll watch something" Sato wasn't the most responsible so we knew she would be ready to watch a movie at midnight.

Our parents were best friends. They were partners in business. They owned a security agency, one of the best in the world. They had gone away from home for a few days and left us at Taeyeon eonnie's home. They were really good friends with her. They didn't say where or why they were going.

"Be quiet. Don't wake eonnie up" Akira was the noisiest in our group so we had to warn her multiple times.

"Don't you think it's too late for that?" We saw Taeyeon eonnie looking at us with amusement. She was sitting on the sofa.

"Eonnie" we grinned at her sheepishly.

"You wanna watch a drama with me?" She asked us. She always knew what we needed. She was really cool.

"Yeah. Which one will we watch?" I asked excitedly.

"How about a romcom?"

"Yeah OK" Mirai looked like she needed it.

"Can we watch 'You are Beautiful?" Ayane wanted to be in a band with all of us.

We were not against the idea.

"Yeah I had been planning to watch it for a while."

We made ourselves comfortable and waited for her to play the drama.

"Eonnie your sofas are to die for" we loved cuddling up on her sofas.

She smiled at us and we started watching the drama. It was really funny and Mirai cheered up. We were all rolling on the floor and laughing. Suddenly we heard the doorbell ring.

"Who is at this hour?" Taeyeon eonnie wondered.

"Is it your boyfriend eonnie?" We teased. It was no secret that she was dating Baekhyun.  They were both singers and had met while collabrating on a duet.

"Yah how old are you guys, being nosy about adult matters?" She was blushing.

We laughed but became serious.

"Eonnie maybe you should take your pepper spray" Sato looked worried.

She went to the door and  looked through the peephole and her expression changed. She opened the door. We saw Baekhyun hyung looking serious. We started waving at him. He smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. He came inside and we saw two policemen following him. I knew there was something wrong.

"Eonnie why are they here?" Akira pointed to the policemen.

"You guys continue watching the drama in my room. Take the laptop with you" she told us calmly. We were confused. We went into Taeyeon eonnie's room, closed the door and continued watching the drama but our minds were elsewhere. We couldn't hear anything because her room was soundproof. We waited for a long time. We had switched off the laptop and looked at each other trying to remain calm.We finally heard a knock on our door telling us to come out. We ran out and saw Taeyeon eonnie's eyes looking red. She looked like she had been crying and Baekhyun hyung was comforting her.

"Sit down girls" Baekhyun hyung said gently.

We were too scared to ask what happened.

"Your parents got into an accident. Their bodies were found floating in the Han river. They are gone . I am sorry" Baekhyun hyung looked at us sadly.

We were sitting there utterly shocked. We were numb and in denial.

"No" Akira said shaking her head vigourously.

Mirai was as still as a statue except for the tears coming from her eyes.  There were tears coming out of Ayane's eyes. She started sobbing.

"Why?" Sato exploded. She looked furious.

Then I heard a high pitched scream. It continued and I realized it was coming from me.

Our childhood had ended then and there. Me and Sato were fifteen, Ayane and Akira were fourteen and Mirai was only thirteen.

We knew they were murdered. It was a gut feeling. People might call it denial but we knew. There were too many loopholes. They didn't even consider the possibility of homicide saying there was a person who witnessed the accident. But we never saw the witness and the bodies were found two days later.

'So why didn't the witness report earlier?' We thought.

Also one of our parents' friends in the force told eonnie that there was  high pressure from the higher authorities to hush it up. We lost our belief in the Law after that.

We were adopted by Taeyeon. She was our godmother. Our godfather would be her husband [when she got married].

Two months later our suspicions were confirmed when I got a text message from an unknown number.

 

Unknown:                                                Roses are Red

                              Violets are Blue

                              I am a monster

                              Tell me, Are you Too?

 

I showed it to the girls. It was our secret. I was furious. I felt like we were being taunted. I send a reply.

 

                          

Nanase:                     Roses are Red

                            Violets are Blue

                            I would rather Die

                            Than end up like You.

                          

But I guess I was lying to myself. I should have known....... no I think I knew that there was only one way we could win.

To defeat a monster we had to become monsters ourselves.....


 

[A/N: I know that BTS and Shinee are not there int his chapter. Please be patient. They will be there in the upcoming chapters. Please let me know what you think in the comments and please subscribe and upvote if you like it.]