The Accident

B.A.P at Hogwarts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

    The next morning, I woke up early to send my owl to Janina. We were finally going to meet up so I can help her with her flying abilities. My barn owl, Archimedes, returned with an answer from her.

“Everything is all set!” the letter read. “I'm so grateful you want to help me. Thank you so much!”

    I couldn’t wait until the end of the day, so I could try to help her with her flying. But first, classes.

My first class was Potions, as usual, where we would be learning the cure for Boils. Snape went over the ingredients quickly, so I asked Jongup what they were again.

“Dried Nettles, 6 snake fangs, 4 horned slugs and 2 porcupine quills.” He repeated in a hushed tone.

I nodded at him to silently thank him for helping me. We all got our cauldrons out and started to add our ingredients, Snape was walking around the room watching us work. I felt him stop behind me, and a sudden sense of dread wash over me.

“Mister Choi, just what do you think you're doing?” He asked.

My heart wouldn't stop racing. “Um, trying to make the cure for boils… sir.” My voice was quivering as I spoke.

“Have you checked your cauldron, Mr. Choi?” Shape’s voice was somehow even more terrifying, and I was scared of what he was implying.

“N-no sir…”

“Your cauldron has been coated with Bulbadox powder. Are you aware of what happens when you make the cure for Boils in a cauldron coated with bulbadox powder?”

I gulped. “No sir.”

Snape leaned in closer. “Your cauldron was about to explode if you had continued, Mr. Choi.” He sneered. “You are no longer allowed to continue with today's lesson. You may look at what Mr. Moon is doing for a reference of how this should be done.”

I nodded my head sheepishly, hoping this would be over soon.

“Oh, and Mr. Choi.” Snape continued, “Be more careful next time. If you blow up my class I will see to it that you are never allowed back to Hogwarts again.” He turned and continued observing the other students.

I felt nauseous. I couldn't help but feel like a failure for not noticing that my cauldron had been tampered with. Jongup let me look at what was going on, but I couldn't refocus as my mind wheeled from the harshness of the professor’s words.

 

 

 

Finally, class was over and I had a few minutes to talk to Jongup.

“Argh, that was the worst class ever! I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake.” My head fell into my hands, my fingers pressed harshly against my temple.

“It's okay. Mistakes happen. It isn't a big deal.” Jongup shrugged.

“It's the beginning of the year! Snape is the hardest professor to please, and I've already nearly blown up his classroom!” I shouted, causing the people in the hallway outside of the class to stare at me like I was crazy.

“... You know that butterflies die.” Jongup said plainly.

I stared at him, dumbfounded. “What?” I asked.

“Butterflies die.” Jongup continued. “The butterfly needs to struggle its way through the cocoon to push fluid into the wings and make them fly.” Jongup was now reenacting his movements as he spoke, shimmying before spreading his arms out as if they were a pair of wings.

“... What does this have to do with my situation?” I asked, raising my eyebrow. I felt completely lost. Did he change the subject or does this somehow relate to me?

“If you cut the cocoon, the butterfly will end up with a swollen body and shriveled wings. In a few days, it ends up dying. Butterflies need to fight the cocoon to survive.”

“The poor butterflies?” I said hesitantly. Where on earth was he going with this?

“You're the butterfly.” He responded enthusiastically, as if he had made some huge revelation that was supposed to give me a lightbulb moment.

That didn't happen.

“Have you been sneaking some plants out of Herbology class?” I asked, giving him a strange look.

“What? Why are you going off topic?” Now it was Jongup's turn to be confused. But only for a moment, he shook his head and continued explaining.

“The thing is, things happen for a reason. Instead of calling yourself an idiot and wishing it never happened, fight your way and prove to Professor Snape that you deserve to be here. Put your blood in your wings and fly.”

“I guess you're right,” I replied, finally seeing where he was going with this, “You took a while to get to that thought.”

Then, his words hit me.

“Fly... FLY! MY FLYING CLASS WITH JANINA!” I shouted. If the people in the hallway didn't think I was crazy before, they were sure of it now. Jongup waved goodbye as I took off sprinting towards the training grounds.

 

 

 

I met Janina in flying class and told her to stand next to me, so it would be easier for me to help her. We continued trying to get our broomsticks up for the class, and some of the students who were getting their sticks up easily were asked to hover on their broomstick.

Janina was still struggling with getting her broomstick up. She held her hand over the broomstick, “Up. Up. Up.” Each “up” sounding more defeated than the last. Finally the broomstick came up, but to the point where it nearly hit her in the face again.

I was one of the few who summoned the broomstick up a few times before it flew into my hand.

“I can't do it Junhong. I'm just no good at it.” Janina said, staring at the ground.

I put my hand on her shoulder, “Hey, look at me please?” I asked. She looked up and I could see tears of frustration were forming in her eyes.

“You just need to be confident.” I explained. “Believe that you will get on the broomstick one way or another, and your broom will start to obey you. Try again.”

Janina nodded and she went back to the same stance. “Up!” She commanded. The broom stayed still.

“Up!” She shouted again. The broom seemed to move a little bit, sensing Janina’s change in attitude.

“UP!” The broomstick flew directly into her hand as she held on tight. Her expression went from serious to overjoyed, she was so happy she was jumping up and down before she gave me a one arm hug, the oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter