part 1 ✿ pages 63-71 irene

Aspiring Idol

part 1 ✿ pages 63-71

 

Irene was standing in one of the snack aisles at the 7/11 with her hat still firm around her head and her coat covering her torso and her pajamas. She was currently deciding which type of popcorn her children back at the dorm would like the best and she honestly hadn’t realized how many different types of flavors of popcorn there was. To name a few, Irene saw a classic buttered kind, kettle corn, caramel, sea salt, white cheddar, and a few more. Irene was honestly going a little crazy trying to choose just one flavor so she decided to go the safe route and picked the butter one and the white cheddar one.

 

Tossing the popcorn bags into her cart, she exhaled and proceeded to wheel the cart over to the frozen treats section to get the strawberry ice cream that the maknae had requested. Once again, she was met with a similar difficulty but this time is was trying to decide which brand of strawberry ice cream would taste the best.

With a pout she stared down the cartons of ice cream contemplating for what felt like way too long, until she heard the sound of a bell chiming at the front of the store which signaled that a customer just walked in.

 

Turning her head, it felt like the world was moving in slow motion and Irene noticed that it was the girl from the bus who had just walked in. She looked super cute and puffy, her hair was still a bit messy and Irene felt nervous all of a sudden. She quickly turned her head back around to avoid any chance of eye contact between the two and her hands felt sweaty against the frozen ice cream container.

 

Taking a deep breathe, Irene tried to clear her head and calm down because she didn’t know why she was getting so worked up over this complete stranger. Irene was usually calm and collected in most every situation so she wasn’t entirely sure why just seeing this girl made her feel so giddy and flushed.

 

‘Just pick the damn ice cream and get out of here!’ Irene’s thoughts were yelling in her head so she hurriedly tossed the ice cream that was in her hands into the cart and pushed it behind a different aisle. She noticed the girl was standing in the snack aisle that she was previously in and Irene could only just make out where she was by looking through the racks of food between them.

 

She looked hungry, just like her, and Irene was seriously contemplating walking over to her and just inviting her over to eat snacks and finish that movie with her and her members. Of course she could never do that, though, because she was an idol. A famous idol, and if reporters and paparazzi ever got wind of her inviting a mystery girl over to her dorm, well, gossip and rumors would spread like wildfire. Sometimes Irene considered taking the risk, but she knew that she was part of a group and if she did something “bad” that wouldn’t just reflect on her, but it would reflect on the whole group. She was their leader so she had to set a good example for them at all times.

 

Irene shook her head and teared her eyes away from the girl. She was just going to calmly buy her snacks and get on the next bus. That’s it. No talking. No glances. Nothing.

 

She walked up to the cash register to purchase everything and tried her best to ignore the soft humming and mumbles of the girl deciding what to buy a few aisles away.

 

“Um you’re total is $6.23.” the teenager behind the counter said and Irene smiled and nodded before handing the boy a $10 bill. 

 

“You can keep the change.” Irene said as she shoved her wallet back away into her coat pocket. She felt like she needs to get out as fast as possible because she wasn’t sure what her brain would unconsciously do should she run into that girl.

 

Nodding her thanks to the cashier, she grabbed her bags and turned towards the door quickly. Without looking where she was going, Irene felt herself herself slam into something hard.

 

She landed on the ground with a thud as well as her shopping bags which opened up across the floor. Without looking up, a string of apologies fell from to the person she’d just carelessly ran into and Irene felt really embarrassed.

 

“Ouch— oh my god I-i’m so sorry” She said, fumbling trying to pick her items up off of the floor, “i wasn’t paying attention and i was being careless i-“ 

 

“Ow ahaha Its okay.” The stranger said in a soft, silky voice that cut Irene’s heart like a knife in butter. Irene felt the person press their hand on top of hers to stop her from frantically trying to shove her snacks back into their bags and Irene was almost too scared to look up because she knew exactly who she’d ran into.

 

“I’m sorry.” Irene nodded again and finally gathered the strength to look up. She blinked. It was the girl from the bus. 

The peaceful, sleepy, angelic, yet loud, crazy, and overall breathe-taking, girl from the bus. 

 

Irene felt her heart skip a beat as she quietly watched the girl collect Irene’s spilled belongings. When she finished, Irene stood up first and held her hand out to the girl. The girl who’s name Irene still didn’t know yet and that fact made her pout. 

 

When the girl turned to look at her, Irene looked away. She didn’t want the girl to recognize her and realize that she was an idol or else things would get hectic, so she bowed her head in thanks and, while looking anywhere but the girls face, she asked, “Are you okay? I mean, you’re not hurt or anything, right?” Irene felt her motherly instincts kick in and her need to protect anyone around her who seemed younger than her. 

 

“Yeah I’m okay. How about you?” 

 

Irene felt the girl looking at her and she knew if she made eye contact it would melt her heart considering she’d never actually seen bus girl’s eyes yet. “I’m fine,” She said before nodding again, “Have a good night,” and she quickly walked passed her and out the door.

 


Taking a deep breath of the cold night air, it felt like she had been holding her breath since the moment she entered the convenience store. Dusting herself off, she straightened herself out and covered the goofy smile on her face with the back of her hand. Irene shook her head and couldn’t help but laugh at herself for how ditsy and nervous she had just acted. She didn’t know why this girl made her feel like a school girl who had her first crush on a boy, but nonetheless, she found it intriguing. Before she could think about it more, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and reaching in to retrieve it, she made her way over towards the nearest bench to wait for her bus.

 

Opening up her phone she smiled when she saw it was a text from the group chat she shared with Yeri, Seulgi, and Joy.


 

Time- 7:02 PM

Battery- 77%

To: dumb dumbs group chat

 

Joy: "omg unnie did you die??!"

Yeri: "fr :-( my stomach can't take it anymore i need  f o o d!!!!"

Seulgi: "yah we only have lemon water in the fridge, unnie plz dont be dead"

Irene: "i'm not dead, i'll be home soon i'm waiting for the bus now"

Yeri: "rip unnie, she will b missed"

 

-

 

Time- 7:05 PM

Battery- 76%

To: dumb dumbs group chat

 

Seulgi: "rip :-("

Joy: "rip, our leader, Bae"

Seulgi: [sends a pouty selfie in the chat]

Seulgi: "me mourning unnie"

 

-

 

Time- 7:06 PM

Battery- 76%

To: dumb dumbs group chat

 

Irene: "omg i cant with you guys.."

Yeri: "its like i can still hear her voice :-("

Joy: "me too"

Irene: "if you keep pretending im dead i swear to god im gonna haunt you~~<3"

Seulgi: "omg unnie!!! ure alive<3"

Yeri: "tis a true christmas miracle!!"

 

-

 

Time- 7:08 PM

Battery- 75%

To: dumb dumbs group chat

 

Irene: "You guys are so dumb sidhfsifhosd"

Joy: "u love us tho<3 <3 <3"

Irene: "."

Seulgi: "unnie~ are u gonna b here soon,,, and with foooood?"

Yeri: "^ yes food<3"

Irene: "I'll be there in 15 mins ok? i think i see my bus coming so be patient (if you even know how)"

 

-

 

Time- 7:10 PM

Battery- 75%

To: dumb dumbs group chat

 

Joy: "ooo ok shade come thru!!"

Yeri: "wow unnie really coming for our wigs like that!"

Seulgi: "i think im bald"

Irene: "omg bYE my bus is here<3"

Irene: "love u uwu~"

Yeri: "omg no, unnie!!! did seulgi teach you 'uwu'"

Irene: "uwu"