Blood

Archer's Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yerin…” Sowon muttered in shock the moment she saw her dongsaeng entering the house covered with blood. What made it more surprising is that, Yerin was carrying an unconscious body which she assumed, is the girl’s childhood friend, Eunbi. “What happened?” She asked. She was surprised seeing Yerin in that state, especially in the morning when usually, the girl just chills doing her morning routines.

 

She slowly walked towards them but suddenly got stopped by the maknae who suddenly came into the scene, Yuju following behind. “Sowon unnie, wear this.” The maknae ordered and gave the oldest a black and thick mask. It was the same mask which they often use when they have to go to public places where unexpected things can happen. Like exposure of human's blood which is really dangerous for them, they might not be able to control themselves. The mask isn't an ordinary one because it contains something that helps them avoid being taken over by their vampire being whenever they have to be near a human’s blood.

 

Sowon looked confused at first but eventually wore the mask Umji gave. She then rushed towards the panting Yerin and examined the girl from head to toe. “What happened? Are you hurt?” She worriedly asked.

 

“I’ll explain later unnie—“

 

“Wait…” Umji went closer and looked at the unconscious girl who was still carried by Yerin. “Unnie... You bit her.” Umji said which made the other girls look closer. Eunbi’s neck was covered with blood which is probably the reason why they didn’t notice it at first. Upon seeing closer, Sowon and Yuju’s eyes widen.

 

“I know I owe you an explanation but help me prepare the guest room first.” Yerin said and held Eunbi tigher. Sowon just nodded and ordered the other girls to prepare food and deer’s blood for Yerin. She then led the way to the second floor without uttering a word. She knew that the explanation can wait. Yerin has to take a momentary break first because by the looks of it, the girl had a tough morning.

 

After positioning the unconscious girl on the bed, Yerin stared at Eunbi for a few seconds and released a deep sigh followed by a frustrated groan. While Sowon just stayed behind observing the scene. She then removed her mask and put her hand on Yerin’s shoulder. “Go shower, look at yourself, you look horrible. We will wait downstairs.” She said and gave the other girl a reassuring nod.

 

Yerin muttered a ‘thank you’ and gave Eunbi a last glance before exiting the room to clean herself.

 

 

As droplets of water hit her face, the earlier events flashed inside her head. It wasn’t her first time to kill a vampire and it also wasn’t her first time to protect someone. Her father had always brought her whenever he was on duty to hunt ruthless vampires who attack humans, which is also the main reason why she is skilled enough to fight those three men. But, it was her first time biting a human and what made it more indelible is that, it had to be Eunbi, her childhood friend.

 

She looked at her reflection in the mirror and sighed deeply as she showed her fangs. She tilted her head to look at her reflection clearly. She then sighed once again and touched her right fang with her pointing finger. “I thought, I’d live my whole life without biting a human…” She told herself and gulped as the taste of Eunbi’s blood lingered inside . “I thought, I would never taste a human’s blood.”

 

She looked down and closed her eyes as water continued to fall on her. “I’m sorry Dad, I broke my promise…” She breathed deeply and placed her right hand against the wall in front of her to support her balance. “I’m sorry… but it had to be done. I just can’t let her die. I can’t lose anyone anymore, not when I’m already capable of protecting the people I care about.” She muttered and just continued showering thinking that her three friends were waiting for her.

 

After about half an hour, she went out of the bathroom after pondering about her messy thoughts alone. She immediately went straight to the living room where the other three girls were waiting for her. She sat down on one of the couch as three pairs of eyes stared at her, waiting for her word. But the oldest interfered before she could even start speaking.

 

“Eat first, we know you’re too drained.” Sowon said and pushed the plate of eggrolls and glass of blood towards Yerin’s direction. Yerin weakly smiled at them as she started to eat her food. She hadn’t eaten something after she woke up and did her morning rituals earlier. She was actually hungry even before she went to Eunbi’s house but she literally forgot everything the moment she knew that her friend was in extreme danger.

 

When she finished filling her vampire self with deer’s blood, she just sighed deeply as she looked at her friends who were patiently waiting for her.

 

“Eunbi was attacked, wasn’t she?” Umji started the conversation which made the others look at her. “I saw her bruises and the part of her chest that got stabbed, and I assume that the weapon was a dagger.”

 

“How did you know?” Yerin asked.

 

“Remember when you showed us the photos of Eunbi’s mom when she was murdered a month ago? The weapon was a dagger right? The wound looks the same as Eunbi’s.” The youngest explained.

 

“So you mean, the vampire who killed Eunbi’s mom and the one who attacked –“

 

“No Yuju unnie, the weapons used were both daggers but that doesn’t mean the person who murdered Eunbi’s mom is also the one who attacked Eunbi. Otherwise, Yerin unnie would’ve had hard time killing whoever he is. The man who killed Eunbi’s mom before is, I assume, a skilled and experienced vampire, more skilled than Yerin unnie.” Umji said and looked meaningfully at Yerin, asking confirmation if the man she encountered earlier indeed was not that skilled. Yerin just nodded.

 

“There were actually three vampires who attacked her.” Yerin started explaining. “Eunbi was already cornered when I went inside her house. She was already almost unconscious when I saw her lying down on the floor being pinned down by one of them.” She took a deep breath as she started describing the events.

 

As Yerin narrated everything that happened, the other three attentively listened. She told them about her fight against those three men up to the moment when she decided to bite Eunbi to keep the girl alive. It was evident from their faces that they too are trying to ponder what might be the reason of those vampires to attack Eunbi who was living peacefully as a human. They don’t know Eunbi personally but since Yerin is like a sister to them, they know about the girl’s past and the people she cares about other than them.

 

“Maybe, they need something that Eunbi has.” Sowon said which made Yerin remember a thing she totally forgot while telling them the whole story, she mentally smacked herself.

 

“I forgot to tell you this…” Yerin scratched her head which was not itchy at all. “Uhh… they need her blood.”

 

“Blood? You mean, her blood to drink it and fill their throats?” Yuju asked as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

“No, they were trying to get a sample of it.” Yerin answered.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter