Step Three

Steps Left Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yuri had some papers to finish and she regretted binge watching the DVD collection by herself at dorm last night. But how could she resist the offer when The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was on sale? Yuri typed frantically as another period was over and her class time was approaching on her shoulders.

Someone settled on the seat next to hers and stopped her from scrolling the mouse. Yuri looked up furiously and the girl raised an eyebrow. It was the same girl who hanged out with Yoona all the time; always lurking by her side. “You’re Yuri?” she asked in a rather proud tone, scoffing at the end.

“Excuse me?” Yuri freed her hand from the other girl’s grip and pushed her chair a little away. “Who are you?”

“Don’t pretend like you don’t already know who I am.” she leaned back folding her arms. “Ah, bet someone your rank wouldn’t understand.”

Yuri did know who she was indeed…but she didn’t wish to interact any further. Choi Sooyoung was notorious for wrecking the social life of anyone who didn’t obey her immature commands. However, Yuri didn’t care; she didn’t have that kind of time to deal with her tantrums right now.

She got up after picking her books to leave when the girl caught her wrist, halting her back.

“Not yet. I’m not done yet.” She narrowed her brows. “Listen here, Yuri, you don’t wanna mess with me.” she got up too, inching closer, “I see you trying to talk to Yoona these days. And I don’t like the way you do it.”

“Excuse me again?” Yuri repeated and folded her own arms, “you’re going to lecture me on how to talk to someone?”

“Not someone. Yoona is not your average everyday girl, you know. So just back-off while you can. Everyone here knows it as a rule that Yoona is mine.” She stated as a matter-of-factly. Yuri’s mouth dropped open a little but she tried to remain collected.

“She’s not a ing material.” She was angry…she didn’t understand why but that statement had boiled her blood. “You don’t possess her.”

The girl chuckled with the same disdainful sound and shook her head. “She’s like a high, isn’t she? Just talking to Yoona makes you think you have visited a different world. I know how you feeI, Yuri, I have felt it too. But then here is when the problem arises,” she pointed a finger to Yuri’s chest and poked it harshly, “I don’t want to share that high with anyone else. I’m the only one who gets to be the center of her attention. So be a good girl and get lost.” She whispered at the end and left with the loud cackle of her stilettos through the library hallway.

Yuri stood dumbfounded, hands formed into fists and mind running through all the things she could’ve said back but she was left tongue-tied after this conversation.

Sure, after that day Yoona smiled at her and called her over, they began talking and forming a little bond over shared interests. And that’s all Yuri wanted too, afterall. But she didn’t understand why something as harmless as that began creating holes in her path? Even Tiffany had warned her earlier that Yuri’s new friendship was gaining her the wrong interest from watchers and she should think of this again.

 

 

Yuri was asked to tend to Irene today and give her a few more rechecks to see if there was any hope at all. But Yuri knew better, there was none. Irene had reached her last stage of tumor and she had two weeks to live at most.

Irene was her adored patient because she was always so full of life. She would talk to Yuri about all the crazy adventures she’s had and how much she regrets none of it now that she’s not going to have another chance to live like that. She was the polar opposite of her pessimistic doctor and Yuri often thought how unfair their fates were. She wished she could change places and be the one lying on the medicine-scented bed instead.

“Wendy told me you were having trouble breathing last night?” Yuri inquired, preparing the syringe as the mentioned nurse moisturized the patient’s arm.

“Nothing new.” She smiled and crescents formed on her eyes that were getting absorbed by the dense dark circles. “The sedatives are wearing off.”

“I’ll prescribe stronger ones.” Yuri gently injected her, even though the girl was used to them by now.

“I had a request.” She winced but the smile never left her face.

“What kind of request?” Yuri was curious. She grinned and tapped the spot a few times before applying the bandage over. “Except demanding for a leave.” She turned her grin to a poker face having experienced this many times.

Irene puckered her lips in, dark eyes trying to glint to act cute. “Please?”

“No. Patients in their severe stages are not allowed to have any outside interaction, you know it.” Yuri sigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter