Step Two

Steps Left Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Another morning and another will to end things as they are. Yuri gets up groggily; bed messed up and head aching. There were 30 missed calls from the hospital and two spam emails offering discounts at toy shops.

When she reached the office the dried lilies were replaced with fresh tulips and a note by Tiffany reminding Yuri of breakfast. Yuri smiled at the gesture and ordered a croissant with milk from the staff office. That person loved croissants.

“Irene was requesting you earlier this morning,” the nurse informs, coming in with some files “and the new patient is not taking her pills.”

“Jeon Somi?” Yuri asks, taking a sip of the sweetened milk, just like that person liked, “I’ll attend to her.”

One patient was prepared for surgery tomorrow and one wants leave, which was obviously going to get rejected by the administration, and the last file was another old entry that was gone for hope. The earlier mentioned girl was on her last days.

Yuri finishes quickly and decides to head for the new patient first.

 

 

Somi was lying on her side facing the window of her personal ward. The pills were resting by the table. A dozen pills of different shapes and colors. It is all too much and too sudden for the girl and Yuri has faced this situation many times before.

“How are you feeling today morning.” Yuri asks as a rhetorical question and checks Somi’s pulse. “It’s a nice day. Sun’s not too bright.”

“I don’t want to receive the treatment.” Somi says, hiding herself under the blanket.

“Don’t be so discouraged. Are you afraid of something about the process? I can clear all the doubts.” Yuri sits on the edge of the bed, checking Somi’s heartbeat from the back.

“I just…don’t want to continue living.”

“Why not?”

Silence. Somi breathes heavily. “The treatment is quite expensive isn’t it?”

“Don’t worry, it won’t be a burden on your father. The medical bills at our hospital are fairly affordable. Any other question?”

“Why don’t you understand…I don’t want to live. I don’t have any reason to…” Somi begins crying and Yuri hands her a box of tissues.

“If it’s still about that boy, I’ll have to admit you to psychological therapy as well. Imagine double the medication.” Yuri warns in a humorous tone.

Somi turns around with red eyes and nose covered in snot. She looks at Yuri for some kind of comfort or sympathy but Yuri is unable to understand. She has forgotten these emotions since that person left.

“I…still can’t believe he did that. I just don’t understand why…what was wrong with me…” she cries further.

Yuri looks at the nurse for some help. She’s a personal nurse and manages most of Yuri’s work. She, Wendy, rubs Somi’s arm for relief.

“There’s nothing wrong with you, Ms. Somi. He just wasn’t the right one for you.” Yuri tries and gets up to leave. She motions Wendy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter