Step One

Steps Left Behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

How long has it been, she wonders. The air is chilly ever since can remember and people’s voices are too loud. And that person is not coming back. But Yuri knows better that the person never will. She’s gone. Forever.

The bell sounds and she hears footsteps rushing in a particular direction. It’s an emergency bell. Someone is one on the verge of death. Sometimes Yuri wished a bell rang with her name filling in reports as well. That would finally cease all the pain. One…Two…Three...

“Yuri, it’s a suicide case.” Her co-worker says barging through the door. “Ward number 7.”

She leaves, adjusting her white coat and stethoscope. Tiffany is a nice person, Yuri would think whenever she came in sight. She was a person always trying her best to make people want to live again. It never works and Yuri doesn’t have the courage to tell her. She owes her a lot to break her spirit like that.

Yuri gets up and grabs her coat as well, going through her report files for a fresh clean one. It takes longer and Yuri sighs with frustration, giving up. Maybe one of the nurses will have some papers. Get it together you fool.

 

At the mentioned ward the hospital stuff was rushing with surgerical tools, bandages and ointments. Some blood was spilled on the rubbery floor and the girl was unconscious with her wrist looking damaged. She was very young. She reminded Yuri of her own good days. The only good days.

“Seems like she attempted to cut her veins with a glass shard and clumsily got some broken pieces attached to the wound.” says Dr. Tiffany, voice muffled by the hygiene mask. She wore rubber gloves which were already covered in smudged blood as she was trying to pick up the microscopic glass pieces out of the cut. “But not a lot of blood was lost, thankfully. She’ll survive.”

Yuri wonders what her need here was if all was done and good. Dr. Tiffany seems to read to her mind like always and answers the unsaid question.

“I have a doubt. It’s a small doubt but…I think she’s having some sort of cancer.”

Yuri walked closer to the patient and examined her eyes. “What makes you think so? She looks healthy.”

“This is not the first time she’s admitted. Last month or so they brought her in with an injury on the leg and some blood test was taken to see if any infection has occurred. There was an abnormal amount of white blood cells overall.” Tiffany sounds worried. But then again, she’s always worried about one person or another.

“Can I see her test report?” Yuri asks, and seems like Tiffany knew she’ll ask this too so she hands her a copy. Yuri excuses herself and reads the file to check if anything is suspicious. “Everything is suspicious.” She says to herself and turns towards the patient. She’s too young for this, thinks Yuri. “We need another blood test.”

 

 

The patient woke up the next day. Yuri has been waiting by her side, giving comfort to the girl’s father who had been crying throughout the night. The patient takes some moments to recognize her surroundings and looks at her wrist as the first action. “I…was saved?”

Yuri smiles and the father weeps further, kissing his daughter’s face countless.

“Luckily, you were. How are you feeling Ms. Somi?” Yuri asks ticking conscious within 24 hours on the report. The response is expected and Yuri frowns. “Ms. Somi?”

The young girl begins crying next, trying to get rid of the tubes attached to her hand. Yuri looks at the nurse waiting by and orders.

“Anesthesia. Urgent.”

 

 

“Don’t worry, Mr. Jeon. She’s saved and that’s important for now. If this behavior con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter