Chapter 11

Awaken Fears

 

He was running through a maze, the sky was pitch black and the only thing he could see was the full moon, he didn’t know why he was running but he was. Was it from someone or something or was he running to catch up with someone, he didn’t know but all he knew was his heart was beating out of his chest from fear. He could hear his voice calling out for someone, but he couldn’t hear who. he felt his body slow down when he saw who was standing in front of him. there in front of him was a little boy no older than 5 with dark hair and pale skin, holding a small teddy bear, he felt like he knew him but in the same time he didn’t. He heard his voice call out a name this time he wasn’t shouting but it was a small whisper. when the small boy looked up he felt everything slow down “Danny” he said as he got on his knees in front of the boy. The little boy only looked up smiling before he touched the older cheek and when he felt the touch the older had tears in his eyes, he pulled the younger into a hug before he turned into ash and disappeared.

“Dude wake up are alright” a voice called out waking him up from the dream. “ Sam what the hell are you doing in my room.” Ben said getting off his bed and walking into the bathroom to wash the sweat off his face. “ you had another nightmare, I heard you all the way from my room shouting Danny’s name over and over, so what was this time were you stuck in a creepy maze chasing him.” The younger said leaning against the bathroom door. “ yeah it doesn’t seem to end, I did everything man from going to therapy and all but it doesn't stop.” The older says whipping his face with the towel. “maybe it’s time for us to go search for him, your nightmares will end once we find him.” “what if he isn’t alive, what if that man killed him, I’m scared to know, not knowing is better.” Ben pushed Sam out of the doorway as he made his way to the bed sitting down on the edge. “ you know his a strong kid, I know his somewhere out there he probably beat the out of the heart condition and is doing something amazing with his life, so let’s go find him.” Sam wanted to believe his words the thought of his little brother might be dead scared him, and he would never tell his older brother that he also had nightmares about Danny. He didn’t want to put too much worry on Ben.“ your right, I’ll call my job take some time off work and we can go to Korea and look for him.” “ that’s good you did need a break from the stressful job.” “ Hey, I like my job and plus who’s the guy that likes asking for money all the time.” “umm, I just need that money for personal things.” Sure you do.” both brothers stayed silent for a few minutes thinking about finding their brother.

A couple of days later both brothers pack up to go to Korea, somewhere they haven’t been to since their parents gave their baby to a stranger. It was a dark place that brings back haunting memories to both men, they knew going back might bring back old pains they try to cover up. Korea was a place that showed them there parents were monsters with no hearts, that they only cared about how they look to other people.

Coming to Korea physically made both brothers sick, getting off the plane took more effort then they that. Sam got off first while Ben couldn't get himself to move away from the door. He could see the buildings that once brought his baby brother joy. He stood there remembering Danny running to catch up to him when they first landed in Korea. Sam just waited inside the airport he knew his brother needs a little bit of time and space to collect himself. He stood in the middle of the same airport that he once did with his whole family. He sadly smiled as he remembered little Danny, running after him to go up and down the excavator. He held back tears recalling the way his baby brother would look up at him with awe when he did something impressive, even though it wasn't that big of a deal to anyone, but to Danny, it was the most amazing thing he saw. And even though he didn't admit it at the time that he loved impressing his little brother. And it was because of him that he learned more magic tricks. He missed seeing his little brother eyes getting big when every he did a magic trick, he missed the way he would clap and run up to him asking him to teach him one to. Even though it seemed like distant memories, Sam treasured them.

After taking couple deep breaths Ben got off the plane and catch up with Sam who was last in his thoughts. “ hard isn't it” the older said putting his hand on his brother's shoulder. The younger nodded and turn to hug his older brother. “ it's going to be alright, we have to be strong,” Ben said tightly holding on to his brother.
They didn't know where to start their journey to find Daniel, they barely could speak Korean, and they don't know anything about the country, to begin with. Everything about Korea brought pain and hatred.