Epilogue: Little Moments Like This

Radio DJ, Listen to my Heart

21 June 2018

 

“Did I really watch this movie with you all the way through back in college?” Mark asks his head leaning on Jinyoung’s left shoulder. The both of them were at Jinyoung’s apartment, laying on the said male’s bed with his laptop on top of his lap. They were currently watching a movie that Jinyoung said he hasn’t seen in a long time and how Mark watched this movie with him back in college. “It’s just so...boring.”

Shifting slightly to pull Mark’s head off his shoulder to stare at him, Jinyoung nods his head insisting that it’s true. “Yes, Mark, you were actually pretty into it more than me.”

“Huh,” Mark trails off scratching his head in confusion, “I’m pretty sure my amnesia didn’t change my preference in movies.”

The both of them were watching ‘Pride and Prejudice’ with Korean subtitles even though the both of them understood English well (especially Mark).

“Well you did and you promised me you’ll watch whatever I wanted to watch.” Jinyoung announces as Mark leans his head back on the younger’s shoulder.

“Fine, but I can’t promise you that I won’t fall asleep on the movie.”

Fifteen minutes later Jinyoung chances a glance at Mark who has his eyes closed fast asleep. Scooting his body down a little to match Mark’s position he scoots closer to Mark so the older’s head could nestle around his neck. Mark lets out a content sigh snuggling closer to Jinyoung’s neck before placing a kiss there. That has Jinyoung smiling before he turns his attention back to his laptop screen.

He wasn’t mad at Mark at all. Four years ago Mark fell asleep while watching this movie with him. Four years later he still did the same thing. Jinyoung may have lied just to see if Mark would be able to finish the movie with him this time. He should have known though. These romance movies were more his style than Mark’s really. He watches the movie a little while longer before turning his head to plant a gentle kiss on top of Mark’s head.

“I know you were lying to me this whole time.” Mark says groggily as Jinyoung bites back a smile. The older falls back asleep as Jinyoung leans his head on top of Mark’s continuing to watch the movie in content.

 

 

05 July 2018

 

Jinyoung grunts for the fifth time as he watches his latte art of a simple heart turn into a blob. Glancing over to the side he see’s Mark making an intricate leaf with ease.

“Mark,” he whines as the older male ignores him too wrapped up in the activity in front of him. Only when he was done and satisfied with his work of art did Mark turn to look at Jinyoung while placing down his pitcher of milk. “My heart turned into a blob again.” Jinyoung says jutting his bottom lip while sliding his cup of latte across the counter towards Mark gently to show him. Mark stares at his boyfriend’s work before letting out a chortle. “Hey, no laughing!” Jinyoung says nudging Mark in the ribs with his elbow. He only receives a sideways hug as Mark wraps his arms around his waist pulling him in.

“I’m sorry,” Mark apologizes showcasing a wide smile on his face. It had Mark’s eyes turning into crescent shape. “I promise I won’t laugh no more.”

Jinyoung hums in response like he was thinking about whether he should forgive Mark or not. Turning his head to the side to face Mark he displays a playful smile.

“Your apology is only accepted if you give me a kiss.” Jinyoung explains as Mark leans his head in, closer to Jinyoung’s face.

“Here?” Mark whispers teasingly, his breath tickling Jinyoung’s right cheek. “Or somewhere else?”

Jinyoung’s breath hitches as Mark pulls his face a few inches back. “Somewhere else please.” He answers a little breathlessly. Mark can only smile adoringly at Jinyoung who always seems to be flustered by his teasing.

“Your wish is my command.” Mark replies watching as Jinyoung closes his eyes eagerly waiting for Mark to kiss him. Unwrapping his arms around Jinyoung’s waist Mark places his hand on Jinyoung’s shoulder to turn him to directly face him. Cupping his face in his hands Mark leans in to plant a sweet kiss on Jinyoung’s lip. Originally Mark was planning on just giving a quick kiss on the lips. However, Jinyoung thought otherwise. Wrapping his arms around Mark’s neck preventing the older from pulling back. The kiss only deepens from there until the both of them hears someone clearing their throat. Breaking apart from their kiss, but still, in each other’s arms, the both of them turn to the source of voice finding Yugyeom over the counter holding a mopping stick with both hands as he props his chin at the end of the mopping stick judging the both of them.

“You guys are lucky that the store is closed for the day.” The tall boy comments. Jinyoung blushes from the comment having forgotten the employees around the cafe were still working even though the cafe had closed for the day.

“Oh Yugyeom, don’t ruin the moment for them.” Youngjae pipes up. He was sitting in one of the booths by the window folding their cloth napkins. He stops to look up at Jinyoung and Mark with a wide smile. “Boss and Jinyoung were having a moment together until brats like you have to go and ruin it. You have terrible timing.”

“I don’t have terrible timing hyung!” Yugyeom whips his head around to glare at Youngjae who went back to folding. “I don’t want to see them making out in front of me. I work here you know and I don’t want that memory haunting me whenever I’m making coffee for the customers there at the counter.”

“Hey, Young K hyung are you bothered by them kissing?” Youngjae calls out to another of their coworker. Young K was the same age as Mark but a few months younger. He was wiping the tables when Youngjae called out to him. Stopping his work he looks up to find four pairs of eyes looking at him.

“No, if you’re that bothered by it then look away.” Young K says shrugging in the process as Yugyeom mouths open flabbergasted because his hyung didn’t defend him. Youngjae covers his mouth trying to hide his snickering as Jinyoung feels Mark tugging him closer with his arms around his waist. Looking towards the male once more Mark has an amused smile plastered on his face.

“Now, before we were so rudely interrupted where were we?” Mark whispers out. Jinyoung giggles as he leans forward to capture Mark in a quick kiss.

“I believe it was something like that.” Jinyoung teases and laughs as Mark playfully growls pulling Jinyoung in for a long kiss.

 

 

28 August 2018

 

“Long live summer!” Jackson shouts out his excitement dashing down the beach to get to the water. The seven men decided to go to the beach to enjoy the last of the sunny weather summer brought with it since it was already August.

“Viva summer!” Bambam also shouts throwing his hands in the air running after Jackson as Jaebum hollers after the skinny Thai male that he doesn’t think the sentence works like that. Jinyoung watches as Jaebum walks beside Youngjae who was holding a portable ice box filled with their drinks while Jaebum was holding another portable box filled with their food. Yugyeom was trailing behind those two holding their items of fun consisting of various pool floats. Jinyoung was holding a beach ball in his hand as Mark tugs on his arm. The blonde-grey hair male had already stripped away his tank top and only wearing his swim trunk. That has Jinyoung blushing slightly and feeling hotter than usual (and it wasn’t because of the sun).

“Come on, Jinyoungie,” Mark says walking ahead leaving Jinyoung to run after him. Mark had recently begun calling him ‘Jinyoungie’ that has Jinyoung’s heart doing flips every time. This was something new since Mark had never given him a nickname before even back in college. This nickname was one of the many new histories they are making together.

The day consisted of playing in the water where Jackson decided to scare Youngjae. Swimming under the water and pulling Youngjae’s leg having the male scream for help. Scrambling to the closest person beside him which was Jaebum and basically climbed on him to get out of the water. Jackson was amused, breaking through the surface laughing out loud as Youngjae grumbles at him. Jaebum, who was used as a tree was not amused as well.

When swimming got too tiresome they gather to their spot, sitting on a towel while munching on a sandwich or fruits like watermelon. Bambam made fun of Jinyoung in the process who was feeding grapes to Mark.

“Shut up you twerp.” Jinyoung had said side eying Bambam who laughs as he continues to feed Mark who was all too happy to be fed. The day continued to be like this, bickering, laughter, annoyance, and smiles. When the sun was finally making its way down like it was halfway sinking down the water, it left the water sparkling as the sky was filled with splashes of red, orange, yellow, and streaks of pink colors in the sky. Jinyoung lets out a sigh of admiration from the sight. He was sitting on a towel onshore staring out into the beach where Jackson, Yugyeom, and Bambam were teamed up to splash water against Jaebum and Youngjae who were yelling at them splashing back but with a grin.

“What’s with the sigh?” Mark’s voice comes through as he took a seat on the towel beside Jinyoung.

“It was a sigh of admiration Mark.” Jinyoung explains turning his gaze to look at the older who have worn back his tank top. “The sunset makes the sky and water look so pretty.”

“You know what else the sunset makes looks breathtaking?”

Tilting his head to the side he waits for Mark’s answer as a grin spread across the male’s face.

“You,” Mark answers leaving Jinyoung blushing under the sunset, “it makes you look...ethereal.”

Turning away to look back out into the water a smile appears on Jinyoung’s face. “Oh, shut up you’re being cheesy.” He says under his breath with his blush still evident on his face. They stay in comfortable silence after that as they both stared out into the water and sunset. Mark slides ever closer to Jinyoung just to place his left hand on top of Jinyoung’s right hand. Leaning his head on top of Mark’s shoulder Mark lays his head on Jinyoung’s head. It was moments like these that Mark and Jinyoung were thankful to the world for bringing them together again.

 

 

10 September 2018

 

“Mom! Dad!” Mark calls excitedly through his camera laptop. It was his monthly webcam talk with his parents just to see how they were. “How are you?”

“We’ve been well honey.” Mark’s mother answers, “You look very happy Mark.” His mother states eying Mark suspiciously. Mark blushes at the statement, ever since Jinyoung and he started dating last month he hadn’t gotten the chance to tell his parents the news.

“Actually, mom and dad, I have something to tell you and someone for you to meet.” Mark replies rubbing the nape of his neck shyly.

“Oh my, did you find someone to date?” Mrs. Tuan asks as Mark nods his head leaving his mom to giggle in happiness.

“I’m happy to hear that my son!” Mr. Tuan speaks both for his wife and him since his wife was too overwhelmed to say anything. “Do we know the guy?”

“Actually, you do,” Mark says smiling widely as Mr. and Mrs. Tuan give each other a questioning look. They had asked that question since they expected the answer to be a ‘no’ and not a ‘yes’. This brings more curiosity to them now. The both of them watch Mark motioning for someone to step inside the screen who was hesitant at first. But he slowly came into view to sit beside Mark with a boyish smile.

“Oh, my! Jinyoung! It’s been so long!” Mrs. Tuan exclaims her eyes shooting up in surprise and happiness.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Tuan.” Jinyoung greets them shyly before bowing slightly to show his respect as both of Mark’s parents wave it off and laughs.

“You’re the guy my son is dating?” Mr. Tuan asks just to be sure as he receives a nod of a head by Jinyoung. He sighs in relief before saying, “Thank goodness. When Mark said we actually knew the guy his mother and I thought it was that guy Jackson.”

“Dad!” Mark whines as Jinyoung covers his mouth to laugh. “I told you so many times that Jackson and I are just friends! Besides he’s straight!”

“With him flirting with everyone says otherwise.” Mr. Tuan comments.

“That’s because he’s a social butterfly!” Mark exclaims as Mark and his father engage themselves in a conversation.

“Jinyoung,” Mrs. Tuan calls through the screen catching Jinyoung’s attention. She gives him a warm smile before looking at Mark then back at Jinyoung. “I see you guys fell in love with each other a second time.”

“Yes, we did.” Jinyoung answers as Mrs. Tuan beams from the answer.

“Take care of him for me, would you? If he ever does anything to hurt you, you let me know.”

Hearing that Jinyoung glances to the side to see Mark still bickering with his father playfully. His heart swells with happiness just being able to witness this sight.

“Oh and Jinyoung,” Mrs. Tuan calls once again. Returning to his attention back to her, “I’m glad that it’s you.”

Smiling he says, “Me too.”

 

 

06 October 2014

 

Rain. The news reporter said there wouldn’t be rain yesterday! Now, look what happened?! It’s not just raining lightly, but pouring rain.

Frowning in anger he should have known not to trust the weatherman reporter for the umpteenth, but something always comes over him. Telling him to trust the weatherman one more time. ‘Maybe he’ll get the weather right this time.’ Nope. It’s never going to happen. Jinyoung is sure of this fact now as he speeds walks down the street in hopes of finding a shop with awnings to hide from the rain.

He had just finished visiting his favorite bookstore a few miles out off campus. It was one of his favorite discoveries since his start of college. The place was always filled with new books to buy and read. It wasn’t cheap, but props of being the owner’s favorite revisiting visitors. You get some discounts. Up ahead he spots a small Korean restaurant with a small awning on top of their front door. He felt bad blocking the entrance of the restaurant but he desperately needed to hide from the rain, he was soaking wet as is. Running underneath awning he brushes off the excess rain on his coat and hair before turning around to assess the small Korean restaurant he was currently devoiding of their earnings. Blinking away some raindrops that fell down from his eyes he notices through the reflection of the window a person putting something away in their backpack before running closer towards where Jinyoung was.

Turning around he came face to face with a male with dark brown hair. Small face and long sharp nose. He had on a light jean jacket with a grey hoodie over his head. The man gave him a boyish grin before pointing to the awning above Jinyoung. “Is it okay if I join you?” He asks with a nice smooth low voice that contrasts he cute and soft appearance. Seeming to have lost his voice Jinyoung gives a nod is his head feeling super aware of how the man stands beside Jinyoung with their shoulders touching side by side thanks to the small awning.

It was quiet as the both of them just stood there watching the rain fall down and people running down the street to get away from the rain as well. Chancing a glance toward the handsome male Jinyoung sees him reaching out a hand to feel the rain landing on his hand. And perhaps he could feel Jinyoung staring when the male suddenly turned to look at him catching him in the act. In a flash, Jinyoung looks away feeling his cheeks grow red in embarrassment. The quietness drew into an awkward silence. Jinyoung considered fleeing the place even it means getting wetter when he hears the male speak.

“Do you go to Kyung Hee University as well?” The male asks pointing to the front of Jinyoung’s backpack with the school’s logo wappen patch.

“Yeah,” he managed to answer without his voice wavering by how nervous he was feeling.

“Cool, I do too.” He says bouncing on his feet slightly. “What’s your intended major?”

“Broadcast journalism but I’m also intending to minor in communications as well.”

“Wow, a major and a minor. That’s rather difficult to manage. I’m impressed.”

“What about you?” Jinyoung finds himself asking, the small talk was helping in dissipating the awkwardness in the air before.

“Me? The general majors that all people want.”

Raising an eyebrow up in question Jinyoung crosses his arm across his chest before pouting a little, “And that is...?”

“Take a wild guess.” The guy says teasing Jinyoung as Jinyoung does a once over on the guy. The guy was wearing a light jean jacket with a grey hoodie underneath paired with black skinny rip jeans and white tennis shoes. It was hard to tell exactly what major the guy was pursuing just by looking at his clothes.

“Art?” Jinyoung guesses and that has the guy breaking into a high pitch laughter. The sound was unique, intriguing, and sweet-sounding.

“No, it’s Law by the way.” The guys answer when he finally calms down from his laughter.

“Well, how was I supposed to know just by looking at you and your outfit.” Jinyoung answers feigning grumpiness.

“Hmmm, I don’t think the rain is going to stop any time soon.” The stranger replies back changing conversation already.

“And I don’t think we can stay here any longer.” Jinyoung says back as the both of them make eye contact with each other.

“Why’s that?” The male asks with a frown slowly making its way to his face.

“Because I think the owner finally noticed us blocking and preventing his customers from coming inside.” Jinyoung motions with his head at the window behind him as the owner, a short looking grumpy man, speeds his way from the kitchen towards the front entrance.

“Oh,” The guy says a bit startled as they only have about a few seconds to get out of here before getting caught and facing the wrath of an angry restaurant owner.

“Besides, I think you can pull back out your umbrella to get back to campus now.” Jinyoung says smugly watching the male in front of him turn beet red embarrass he got caught.

“How did you know?” He asks swinging his backpack in the front to pull out a small black umbrella from his backpack. Jinyoung was internally screaming about how wet the umbrella was and it was stuffed inside his backpack with papers and textbooks inside. It was probably all wet now.

“I saw you stuffing something inside your backpack through the reflection of the window. I wasn’t sure what it was until you approached me. I notice you weren’t completely as drenched as I was. So I put two and two together.”

“Have you ever considered switching major and getting into Criminal Justice?”

Jinyoung bursts into laughter covering his mouth with his hands as the male looks at him with a goofy grin. When he was done laughing he flashes the male another smile. “Park Jinyoung.”

“Mark Tuan.”

There was a rattle coming from the doorknob as the owner has finally made it to the door.

“Well then, Mark, we have only five seconds before we get caught. Would you like to share your umbrella with me so we can go back to campus?”

Mark swings his backpack around onto his back before pulling open his umbrella. Pulling Jinyoung by the arm to stand close to him he puts the umbrella above them both with a boyish grin.

“Not if you don’t take me out on a date after.”

“Deal.”

The both of them laughed as they sprinted away from the awning as the restaurant owner opens the door yelling at them for blocking his business.

Maybe it was a good thing Jinyoung trusted the weatherman after all.

 

 


Hello~ 
So the surprise was an the epilogue to the story. (:
I want to make things clear that the dates correlates to Mark and Jinyoung's relationship. The second half of June was when Mark and Jinyoung figured things out but aren't a couple yet since Jinyoung needs time. The month of July is also the case since I mentioned that it took Jinyoung two months to finally leave his fears behind and start a relationship with Mark. August is when they finally start dating and so on. I threw in a flashback of when they first met in the rain back in their college days. What are you thoughts?
I'm sad to see this story officially coming to an end, but I guess all good things must come to end in order for greater things to be develop. Until next time!
Much love,
Markjinnology♡