Memories

Radio DJ, Listen to my Heart

Hi guys! As promised I wanted to post this week's chapter early in celebration of my birthday today as a gift to you guys. ((:

I also really recommend you guys listen to this song Dear Ocean by 5623 during the flashback that is in italicize text. I wrote that part while listening to this song.

Anyways l've talked for too long, happy reading!


 

“Hey, good job out there Mark. It was a pleasure working with you tonight.” Haejung says shaking hands with Mark before leaving. The radio show ended thirty minutes ago and everybody inside the room was getting ready to leave. Jinyoung was frustrated to why Mark was still staying around. He could have just got up and left right when the radio show had ended. Instead, the man chose to stay behind and help clean up.

Grabbing his black messenger satchel bag off the floor Jinyoung was eager to get out. Waving a goodbye to his dongsaeng, Dowoon, who waved back he was out the door. But not before Mark followed right behind him. Ignoring the older male trailing behind him Jinyoung minded his own business. Passing the security guard at the front desk who nodded his head in acknowledgment of Jinyoung who smiled back at him. Pushing past the glass door he was out of the building into the dark night sky of Seoul. Right as Jinyoung turned the corner of the building he hears Mark calling after him.

“Jinyoung. Jinyoung. Wait, Jin-” Mark calls with his steps picking up speed each time he does to catch up with the man he kept calling with no response. Swiveling around in annoyance Jinyoung folded his arms across his chest. Putting a show of utter annoyance.

“What? You want an autograph or something?” Jinyoung inquires arching an eyebrow in the process. Mark skids to a stop a foot away from Jinyoung feeling nervous under Jinyoung’s stern stare.

“I just wanted to talk.”

“Is this because the audience says you should?”

“No! I wanted to from the beginning when I saw your face.” His voice barely a whisper as he looks down at his feet. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“You would have a hunch if you remembered I was majoring in broadcast journalism.” That was a direct jab at Mark and Jinyoung knew the older guy didn’t deserve that. It wasn’t his fault that he suffered amnesia and it wiped Jinyoung clean out of his memories. It was the anger he had built up all these years ago surfing when he’s now seeing Mark in front of him. Mark’s face flashed with hurt leaving Jinyoung to feel even more guilty. Sighing Jinyoung drops his hands to the side of his body. “I’m sorry, it’s just...its been a long time.”

God, he sounded so broken he hated himself for it. He shouldn’t show Mark just how much he had missed the older. He should be showing just how fine he was when he left four years ago.

Nodding his head Mark repeats the same thing with different words. “It’s been awhile.” Silence ensues as they both stood there awkwardly. Looks like Mark wasn’t all too prepared to confront Jinyoung. “Do you still keep in touch with Jaebum?”

“You still remember him?” Jinyoung asks surprise since his best friend only saw him a couple of times after the accident due to his busy school schedule.

“Of course, he was the guy who sent me off at the airport alongside you. He visited me a couple of times at the hospital and after too.” Mark still doesn’t have any recollection of knowing the guy but he remembers him nonetheless. “He was the one you cried on.”

Startled by this new profound information he didn’t think Mark had ever seen him cry after that day he woke up from his coma. He made sure the older male never saw him slip a single tear out of his eyes. “You saw me cry?”

Nodding his head Mark tilts his head slightly to the side deep in thought. “It was the second night after I woke up from my coma. You thought I was asleep and left my room. Through the small window on the door, I made out your figure. You walked up to Jaebum and leaned your head on his shoulder. I saw your shoulders shaking as he patted your back.”

Opening his mouth to say something nothing comes out. Jinyoung wasn’t sure what to say to that. He never knew Mark saw him cry and yet the older male never said anything about it to him.

“I always thought he was your lover after that night.” Mark words draw Jinyoung from his own thoughts. Snapping the younger back to reality with a grimace. Jaebum and him together? Don’t make him gag because he can never picture it. The last time he checked with Jaebum he was straight.

“Okay, let me stop you there because there is no way in this universe Jaebum and I are an item. Or will be. Ever.” Jinyoung clarifies shivering just from the thought of it.

“Oh...good.” Mark simply says with a small smile that has Jinyoung raising an eyebrow up in question.

“Is this what you wanted to talk about?”

“No! Not at all!” Mark scrambled to say reaching behind his back pants pocket for something. “I know you don’t want to talk right now. But when you’re ready you can find me here to talk. I just want to know how you are and maybe you can help me clear something in my head.” Taking out a business card from his wallet he extends it out for Jinyoung to take. Cautiously, Jinyoung takes it and reads the name of the business card.

Café XCIII.

The name was simple and straight to the point. Like how Mark always was. Confessing to Jinyoung right after he discovered he liked the man after a few dates. That had Jinyoung’s lip pulling upwards just thinking about it.

Mark had run to Jinyoung in a hurry after the younger had just gotten out of lecture class. He remembers seeing Mark weaving through the crowd of students calling Jinyoung in a loud voice. Jaebum was standing beside him since they were taking the same class course. Muttering how embarrassing it was that everyone around them was staring at Mark and Jinyoung. But Jinyoung didn’t care as he remembers his eyes trained only on Mark. Eyes beaming because Mark just looked so handsome under the sunlight casting down on his perfectly dark brown hair. He was in love as Mark stood in front of him out of breath professing his love for him right then and there. Asking him out in front of a hundred students and not giving a single care. Nodding his head vigorously as Mark swoops him in his arms he couldn’t help but laugh as he wraps his arm around the guy’s neck.

“You’re smiling,” Mark comments as Jinyoung looks up to find Mark staring at him in wonderment.

“I’ve been smiling earlier at work.” Jinyoung points out as Mark shakes his head in disagreement.

“The smile you had on earlier wasn’t genuine. The smile you have on now is the same smile I remember from my memory. Endearing, real, and happy.”

Gulping down his saliva Jinyoung felt exposed by how Mark could notice this. It was nauseating how Mark is pointing out Jinyoung’s emotion just how he used to in the past.

“Don’t do that.” Finding his voice Jinyoung shifts his bag on his shoulder before bringing his free hand up to clutch onto the strap. “Stop being so intimate with me like we’re still together because we’re not. Remember?”

Hearing that has Mark’s eyes widening. Flustered by what Jinyoung just said, “I-I didn’t realize...I’m sorry.”

Waving it off Jinyoung opens his bag to drop the business card Mark gave him inside. “I’ll think about it. If that’s all, if you’ll excuse me I’m trying to get home. It’s been a very long night.” Without waiting for Mark’s reply he turns back around and walks off. Leaving Mark to watch him walk off into the night.

That night Jinyoung stirred in bed for the longest. Changing his bed position every five minutes but nothing was working. His brain wide awake and running. Sitting up in bed he lets out a sigh before getting out of bed to get something out of his bag. It took a few minutes to actually find what he was looking for since he threw it into the bag so carelessly. Laying back down in bed he turns on his bedside lamp to stare at the business card Mark had given him.

Staring at the address of the cafe that Mark had apparently opened he was actually considering on visiting. Maybe he should take a visit to Mark’s place and actually talk with the man. Perhaps that would help him put everything behind him and finally move on. Besides he shouldn’t hate Mark, he didn’t do anything wrong. He’s just hurt by what happened four years ago. He didn’t know when his eyes started to droop as he fell asleep with his lamp light still on and his hand still clutching onto Mark’s business card.

 

Jinyoung didn’t go visit Mark’s cafe until a week later after their encounter. He thought deep and hard about going to see him and even consulted with Jaebum. In the end, they both agreed it would help Jinyoung leave the past behind and end things on good terms this time.

Staring at the sign ‘Café XCIII’ Jinyoung bites his bottom lip. He was beginning to doubt if this was a good idea after all. The thought of just seeing Mark has Jinyoung’s stomach doing weird flips. He was scared if he met up with Mark this time he wouldn’t be able to control his feelings (not his anger this time). All the feelings he’s been suppressing away all these years will come back to the surface. They hadn’t ended things officially all these years if you thought about it. It wasn’t like both Mark and Jinyoung both wanted to end things. One of them just simply forgot about the other due to amnesia. Quite frankly, Jinyoung knows deep down in his heart he still loves Mark. But it was time to put that love to rest. Put his anger, hurt, and feelings to rest.

Letting out a nervous breath of air Jinyoung stood up straighter and heads for the door. Pushing open the glass door the smell of coffee overpowers his sense of smell. Making him slightly dizzy for a moment as he scans the area. There were a few customers sitting by the window sipping on their cup of coffee and eating their pastries while typing away on their laptop.

“Hi, how can I help you today?” A man dressed in a white dress shirt and black pants with a black half apron wrapped around his waist comes up beside Jinyoung asked.

“Um, I’m actually looking for your boss? Mark Tuan?” Jinyoung asks nervously glancing at the male who was taller than him by an inch. The guy eyes Jinyoung for a second considering if he should fetch his boss or not.

“Name?”

“Park Jinyoung.” With a swift nod, he escorts Jinyoung near the corner of the room with seated booths. Taking a seat he waits patiently as the man walks off to the counter and pass the double doors to the back room. A few seconds later he sees Mark appear wearing the same work uniform but with a full apron on him. He was walking full speed towards Jinyoung. Folding his hands across the table Jinyoung watches as Mark slides in the booth across from him.

“You came,” Mark says catching his breath as he runs a hand through his blonde-grey hair. “I didn’t expect you to actually come since it’s been a week.”

“It took a lot of thinking.” Says Jinyoung glancing out the window to stare at a dog walking by with his owner.

Nodding his head Mark seems to understand this was a lot for Jinyoung. “Thank you for coming.”

Turning his attention back to Mark he clears his throat. Before coming here he thought of all the things he had to say, but ever since he took a step into this cafe all the words he had in his head was gone.

“One iced Americano and one creamy iced vanilla caramel coffee for you, boss.” A booming voice announces standing in front of Jinyoung and Mark’s booth with a black try in hand. Placing down the two drinks in front of Jinyoung and Mark he slightly gives a bow.

“Thank you, Youngjae. Go and help the others with the customers.” Mark instructs as the worker named Youngjae smiles.

“Yes, boss!” He exclaims happily tucking the black tray under his armpit before walking away. Jinyoung stares at the back of Youngjae’s head as he walks away before glancing down at the table at his drink. An iced Americano. His go-to-drink whenever he drinks coffee. Did Mark remember more memories of Jinyoung? Or was this a lucky guess?

Seeming to have caught Jinyoung staring at his drink Mark plays with his straw from his own drink. “I know you said to stop doing such intimate things for you. This wasn’t intentional. I didn’t even register what I said until I already said it. It’s like my brain just took control for a second and ordered an iced Americano for you when Yugyeom said someone name Park Jinyoung was looking for me.”

Jinyoung listened to Mark explain himself not meeting his gaze. Instead of saying anything back Jinyoung took the straw in his drink between his fingers. Leaning forward he places the straw between his lips and took a sip. The iced Americano just perfectly balance traveled down his throat. Leaning back into his seat he finds Mark staring at him with a look in his eyes that he couldn’t decipher. It disappeared right when Jinyoung took notice of him. With a tight smile, Jinyoung lets out a breath of air, “Okay, let’s talk.”

Mark played with his straw again to distract himself, “I’m sorry for everything. I believe I hurt you deeply unintentionally. I didn’t know we were...an item. I just thought I was someone you really cared about. Like your best friend.”

“I know it wasn’t your fault that you didn’t remember me...treated me differently.” Jinyoung comments looking down at his own drink.

Halting his actions playing with the straw Mark looks at Jinyoung for confirmation as he asks, “I hurt you the most when I left Seoul didn’t I?”

“Yes, it was like our relationship never existed when you forgot about me. You just packed everything up and left with your parents. Not that I can blame you again.” Taking a sip of his drink he gives Mark a bitter smile. “I’m alright now…”

“I don’t know why, but I can read you like an open book. I can tell that you’re lying.” Mark points out flatly. “I hurt you, it’s okay to show it.”

Crossing his arms over his chest Jinyoung lets out a huff. Muttering a ‘whatever’ that has Mark breaking out into a small smile before controlling his facial expression hiding his emotions.

“Anyways as you can see I’m hosting a radio show. Something I’ve been dreaming of doing ever since pursuing my major in broadcast journalism and communication.”

“What about your…” Mark trails off not wanting to say it outright. Afraid he would anger Jinyoung something he’s been doing ever since they met each other again.

Finishing Mark’s question, “Love life?” Jinyoung gives a nonchalant shrug. “Nonexistent. I dated a few times but it ended quickly.” Staying this calm surprised himself. He would have thought he would be glaring at the older male for even asking him this question.

“Is it because of-” 
“No,” Jinyoung intercepts quickly which betrays his words, “maybe. I don’t know. I just don’t feel ready to be in a relationship with someone.” He decides to tell the truth in the end. Motioning with his head to point at Mark he asks, “What about you?”

“I’m single. I’ve been single ever since my last relationship with...you.” Mark pauses at the last part before finishing his sentence. Glancing at Jinyoung nervously as if afraid he’s going to scare him away by what he just said.

“Okay, now that we got that out of the way I remember you saying if I could help clear some things in your head?”

“Oh, yes about that…” Mark answers nervously looking to his drink as a similar blush and red ears appeared again. Like the last time, Jinyoung asked during the radio show as Mark recalls his memory. “You see….the memory I recalled of being your boyfriend...the way you looked at me and the way my heart beat beats whenever I recall it is because...you were hovering on top of me?”

Jinyoung could feel his mouth going dry by what he just heard. Hell, he couldn’t help his imagination on thinking which exact moment Mark recalled. With this new information, it helps Jinyoung narrow down to a few moments with Jinyoung hovering on top of Mark. That has Jinyoung blushing as well looking away from Mark to stare out the window. Watching the people walk by again.

“The place I made out seem to look like your dorm room because I recall a picture frame of you and Jaebum. It was on the bedside table.” Mark adds as that clues Jinyoung in on the particular moment he was talking about.

 

Giggling he watches as Mark tries to catch popcorn in his mouth as he throws it up in the air with no success. They were at a friend’s party for a few hours now. If you asked him who was the host, Jinyoung wouldn’t be able to answer that since his brain was no longer sober. The same case with Mark as his eye coordination wasn’t up to par.

Jinyoung smiles as Mark leans his head against his shoulder having given up on catching popcorn. Draping his arm over Mark’s shoulder the older male snuggles closer to Jinyoung’s side and looks up at him with a fond smile. Jinyoung doesn’t think he’ll ever get used to how his heart quickens its pace whenever Mark looks at him. They only dated each other for six months, but these past six months have been the best time of Jinyoung’s sophomore university life. They met in October and went on a few dates before officially dating in November. It’s now April as spring officially rolled around. The trees turning green and the clear skies making a frequent appearance. The weather was more kind and warm allowing the students to shed off their thick jackets in exchange for a lighter one.

“I’m getting sleepy.” Mark whispers into Jinyoung’s ear for him to hear him over the loud music. Glancing at the clock on the wall in the dimly lighted living room the time read three in the morning and it looks like a good portion of the guest had already left as well. Not enough though since there was still a huge crowd. Nudging for Mark to get off his shoulder he gets up from the sofa a bit wobbly while pulling Mark in the process as well.

“Come on, let’s get out of here then.”

“Shouldn’t we say goodbye to the host?” Mark asks following right behind Jinyoung who was holding his hand in his.

“I can’t even remember who the host is.” Jinyoung says laughing causing Mark to laugh along as they maneuver through the crowd of the party. They finally made it to the front door slamming the door behind them as they left. Walking down the apartment hall they exited the building engulfing in the fresh night air. It helped sober up Jinyoung’s head a little as he glances around their surrounding. The apartment building wasn’t so far away from their university given that the host also went to the same school as them. It’ll probably only take a fifteen-minute walk to get back to the university. “Mark, do you want me to drop you off at your dorm?” Jinyoung asks squeezing Mark’s hand to get his attention. There was still a lot of cars passing by the busy night as the street seemed more abandoned at night.

“I’m the older one I should be walking you home. You have a dorm all to yourself...you lucky bastard.” Mark mutters the last part to himself as Jinyoung laughs. “I was thinking about crashing at your place for the night. Since I have some of my clothes and a toothbrush at your place I’m all set.”

“Good thing tomorrow’s a Saturday. We have no class tomorrow and can sleep in all day!” Shouting excitingly Jinyoung throws his free hand up in the air. Mark laughs at his silliness as he throws his free hand up in the air mimicking Jinyoung as well. “To my place!”

Letting out his high pitch laughter Mark shouts after Jinyoung. “To your place!”

What originally supposed to be a fifteen-minute walk turned out to be a thirty-minute walk. Both male walking slower than usual due to the alcohol in their body and laughter abrupting every twenty seconds for no clear reason. Shushing Mark for the umpteenth time as they made there way down the hallway of Jinyoung’s dorm building he doesn’t really mean it. He was trying to hold back his own laughter as Mark stumbles a little clutching his stomach from laughing too much at something he found funny.

“Mark, you’re going to get me kicked out of this building if you don’t stay quieter.” Jinyoung warns the corner of his mouth twitching upwards.

“Okay okay.” Mark says trying to calm himself down as he puts a finger to his lips making a quiet motion before breaking out into another fit of laughter. Rolling his eyes Jinyoung grabs Mark by the hand, intertwining their fingers together as he pulls his boyfriend along the hallway. Which seems much longer when he’s drunk. The walk had helped Jinyoung and Mark cleared their mind but it left them both a giggling mess. After what felt like an eternity they were finally at Jinyoung’s dorm. Fishing for his keys Mark leans against the wall waiting for his boyfriend to let them both inside. Fumbling to insert his key into the keyhole it took two tries for it to be a success. They both stumbled slightly inside as Jinyoung shrugs off his jean jacket he was wearing to toss it on the sofa while taking off his shoes. Mark does the same with his jacket and shoes. Somehow entering Jinyoung’s dorm had both males fallen quiet. Maybe it was the alcohol finally exiting out of their system leaving them exhausted. Pulling Mark along behind him they entered Jinyoung’s small room with a small bed for a single person. But Jinyoung and Mark didn’t mind it since they liked cuddling close to each other.

Throwing back the covers Jinyoung plops himself down on his bed before scooting closer to the wall to make room for Mark. Mark slides right next to Jinyoung as the younger male pulls back up the cover to cover the both of them.

“I should replace that damn picture of you and Jaebum with us.” Mark says as Jinyoung lips turn upward amused by Mark’s words. That ‘damn picture’ of him and Jaebum was taken when they were in high school. Jaebum had given it to him a year ago (before he met Mark) as a birthday gift. Thinking it was hilarious to have their photo in a frame placed on Jinyoung’s bedside table. Saying, ‘Here’s something for you to look at whenever you wake up and before you go to sleep.’ Turning to face each other Mark leans in to brush his nose against Jinyoung and tilts his head slightly to kiss Jinyong on the lips who was happily reciprocating the action. It was a slow sensual kiss as Mark brings a hand up to place against Jinyoung’s chest as Jinyoung places a hand behind Mark’s back to pull him in closer. Rolling himself on top of Mark, Jinyoung breaks their kiss to catch his breath. Staring into his boyfriend’s eyes he tried to show all the love he has for him with his gaze. Mark was staring right back as if he understood and with such a tender look too. Jinyoung could feel the love pouring out of him as well. It was a silent understanding of just how much they both mean to one another. A silent understanding of how much they wanted each other.

Wrapping his arm around Jinyoung’s neck Mark pulls him down to give him another kiss filled with so many emotions it left Jinyoung trembling faintly. Moving his lips to travel down Mark’s neck Jinyoung could feel Mark’s steady heartbeat beating against his chest and the intake of his breath against his ear. It wasn’t long until Jinyoung began to strip both of their clothes slowly off of each other. This would be their first time intimately with one another and it was something magical. As Jinyoung connected himself with Mark, Mark’s hand travels down his back as the other goes to find Jinyoung’s hand to intertwine.

“I love you.” Mark whispers out his breath picking up speed as he moans. Jinyoung could feel his heart doing flips from the confession coming from Mark. He felt the same way. He gives a squeeze to their entwined hand to let him know he heard it.

“I love you too.” He says back watching Mark’s eyes grow watery from the immense pleasure and confession.

 

“Did we have ?” Mark asks bluntly snapping Jinyoung, again, from his own thoughts. Registering Mark’s question Jinyoung could feel his face burning up once more. “I’m guessing yes judging by your face.”

“Oh my god,” Jinyoung murmurs looking down at the table while trying to hide his face with one of his hand. How was Mark not finding this awkward? “Please don’t make me answer that.”

“I was just curious.” Mark shyly says as Jinyoung looks upward to find a blush dancing across both of Mark’s cheeks. He seemed to have noticed Jinyoung’s embarrassed face to feel the same way as well.

Clearing his throat to hopefully clear the awkwardness now hanging in the air, Jinyoung finishes up his drink. “Is that all then?”

“Uh, yeah, it is actually.”

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Jinyoung was sliding out of the booth to stand. Mark does the same just as fast and extends a hand out for a handshake. Taking it slowly in his hand he feels a tingle run down his spine just like the first time he and Mark had shaken hands on their meeting.

“Thanks for meeting up with me Jinyoung.”

Giving a firm shake of his hand Jinyoung lets it go. He pockets his hands in his pants pocket. “Yeah, I think I needed this. To put everything behind me. Um...you take care, Mark.” Sidestepping Mark and walking a few steps away from the older male he finds Mark calling after him.

“Listen...the whole week of waiting for your reply got me thinking...I was wondering if we could start over and get to know each other. Be friends maybe?”

Turning around slowly he locks eyes with Mark who was gazing at him intently. He should say ‘no’ and finally put Mark behind him, but he couldn’t. Not when he could feel the love he has for him still going so strongly. He’ll hate himself for this. For bringing on another case of heartbreak. This time being just friend zoned by Mark. Ignoring all the things telling him to say no that this was a bad idea, he said ‘okay’.

 

 


Question: What are your thoughts on the particular memory Mark got back?