Listen to My Heart

Radio DJ, Listen to my Heart

Summer was surely making an early appearance this year. It hasn’t even been a few days of the month of June and the temperature was already up to eighty degrees Fahrenheit. Jinyoung’s company’s summer event happens to be on the hottest day of this week. Fanning himself with the collar of his shirt Jinyoung places a hand above his eyes creating a shade barrier. Squinting his eyes he scans the open park area beginning to fill up with family and friends.

Walking to a nearby stall serving cold drinks he grabs a cup of lemonade. The drink helped quenched his thirst and reduce his body heat for a little bit. Tossing the drink into a nearby trash can he walks around the park watching coworkers with their family and friends bringing a smile to his face.

“Jinyoung!” Turning towards the source of the voice shouting his name, he sees a familiar grey blonde weaving through the crowd. “Jinyoung!” He shouts again. A familiar memory he had recalled came coming back as the feeling of something bittersweet washes over him.

“I’m so sorry. Am I late?” Mark says siding up to Jinyoung out of breath like he ran all the way here.

“You’re not late at all. You’re actually quite on time.” Watching the older hunch over with his hands on his knees to catch his breath and glance at his wristwatch Mark comes back up with a questionable look.

“Doesn’t the festival starts at five?”

Shaking his head, “No, I texted that the festival starts at six.”

Grabbing out his phone from his pocket Mark opens the said text message and groans. “I must have read five instead of six in a hurry. I ran all the way from where I parked my car without a break. My legs are feeling wobbly.” 
“At least you’re the first one here.” Jinyoung tries to lighten up the mood, “And you should really start exercising more.” That earns a playful shove to the side by Mark as Jinyoung laughs. “Where’s Youngjae and Yugyeom? Are they not coming?”

“They will be after the cafe closes at seven. They’ll only be an hour late they wouldn’t miss much.” Mark says.

“Except for the food. They go out real fast.”

Jinyoung watches as Mark’s eyes widen in horror probably feeling bad for his coworker. Coming to the event after work all hungry only to find out all the food was gone. He couldn’t hold back his laughter as Jinyoung bursts out laughing the second time. Mark was still as gullible as Jinyoung remembers him to be. Frowning, Mark’s eyebrow scrunches in confusion watching Jinyoung laughing to himself.

“I’m only kidding, Mark. The food never runs out in the food stall. They can eat however much they want.”

“ you,” Mark cusses shoving Jinyoung by the side once more while sporting a grin on his face. “I felt really bad for my employees just now and was even considering buying them food!”

“You should! Yugyeom’s always complaining how you overwork them while not feeding them enough.” Jinyoung rats out as Mark gives a stinky eye at him.

“I do not!”

“Mark? Mr.93? Is that you?” A female voice asks both men turn towards the voice finding Haejung, Jinyoung’s coworker, with her hands crossed and a drink in one of her hand staring at them. “I’m surprised you’re here at our company’s annual summer event. I didn’t think you and Jinyoung would become friends.”

“Uh, yeah,” Mark says awkwardly whilst bringing a hand behind the back of his head.

Ignoring Mark’s uncomfortable stance she continues to questions him. “So, did you ever meet up with your ex-boyfriend?”

Jinyoung stays quiet as he sees in the corner of his eyes Mark glancing at him quickly before looking at Haejung. “I did.” He answers in a short sentence meanwhile Haejung narrow her eyes at him. Her highly intelligent brain working at the speed of light. Trying to decipher Mark’s words and action. Jinyoung was desperately wishing for his coworker to just nod her head, turn around and walk away. She was one of his many coworkers who was good at figuring things out. Turning his gaze at Jinyoung she looks between them before forms an ‘o’ in shock.

Her eyes darting between Jinyoung and Mark she says in a quiet voice, “Oh my god, Jinyoung was the ex you were talking about.”

“Haejung sunbae,” Jinyoung calls with a frown.

“Oh my god I can’t believe it.”

“Noona,” He calls again as she snaps her head at him finally breaking out of her shock by the news. “Please don’t-”

Putting up a hand cutting him off she gives a sweet smile to him, “Don’t worry Jinyoung I won’t say anything. Besides, it looks like you two worked things out.” Uncrossing her arms she pats Jinyoung on the shoulder with her free hand before smiling at Mark. “It’s nice seeing you again Mark. You two have fun today!” Without waiting for a response she walks off into the crowd leaving Mark and Jinyoung alone again.

“Um,” Mark draws out staring at the direction where Haejung had walked off, “she’s…” he tries to find the right word to say.

“She’s like that. So smart that nothing can get past her.” Sighing Jinyoung could already picture the smirk and all the questions she was going to be asking him next week when he comes into work. “Anyways, let me show you around the place until the rest of the guys get here.” Motioning for Mark to follow him he weaves through the crowd with ease. Turning around after a few seconds to make sure Mark was following right behind him he found the older male gone. He scans the crowd and finds Mark a few people back trying to get through to him with trouble. He looked so lost in the sea of people trying to swim towards him. When Mark finally reaches him a minute later he extends his hand out for Mark to take.

“I don’t want you falling behind again.” Jinyoung explains looking away to hide his blush as Mark takes his hand in his.

Don’t think too much about this Jinyoung. You’re only holding his hand so you don’t lose him again. Just from the crowd not like in your life or anything.

As Jinyoung pulls Mark along he was hyperaware of the way Mark’s hand held his. Tight but not quite to the point where it hurt. His skin was soft and warm that has Jinyoung yearning to touch more parts of his skin. Shaking that thought away he hopes no more of these thoughts come up in his mind.

A fish cake stick, a cup of tteokbokki, and a cup of hotteok later Jinyoung was sitting with Mark at a bench overlooking a body of water discussing Mark’s obsession with this video game called Overwatch. Mark was explaining to Jinyoung his favorite character when he was rudely interrupted by Jackson who threw himself on Mark only to have him be shoved off. With a groan, Jackson gets up from the ground with a pout while Bambam laughs at his friend.

“Took you long enough to get here.” Jinyoung scowls at his best friend who seemed to had arrived with the rest of the gang, Jackson, Bambam, Youngjae, and Yugyeom.

“I got caught up with work and happened to saw these guys looking for you guys. So I joined the search party.” Jaebum says pointing at the four guys.

“Wait,” Mark interjects looking at his phone to check the time, “it’s only six forty-seven and the Café doesn’t close until seven. Why are you two here so early?” Pointing at Yugyeom and Youngjae accusingly the older of the two squirms in his spot feeling guilty. Yugyeom, however, seems indifferent as he points a finger towards Jackson and Bambam.

“Jackson hyung and Bambam came to the cafe telling us to close the store early today. Besides all the customers left so we didn’t see any reason why not to.”

Opening his mouth astonished by his own employees breaking their given orders Mark shakes his head in disbelief. “Am I not the boss of my own cafe? How come my two employees disregard my orders and listened to these two imposters.”

“Boss!” Youngjae runs towards Mark’s side taking his boss’s hand, “We do respect you!” Giving Mark puppy dog eyes he turns to glare at Yugyeom motioning for him to come and comfort their boss.

“Oh please, you’re overreacting. Closing early today isn’t going to hurt your business, Markie. Live a little.” Jackson pipes in as Mark glowers at him.

“I’m not upset that they closed early. I can’t believe they listened to you.” Mark jabs without any real harm as Jackson brushes it off with a wave.

“Whatever, now that we’re all here let’s go eat and have some fun!” Jackson shouts making his way to the food cart stand with Yugyeom and Bambam following behind.

“You guys coming?” Jaebum questions as Youngjae and him took a step to follow as well. Jinyoung shook his head as Mark does the same patting his stomach.

Jinyoung motions for them to go with a smile. “We ate enough for now. You guys go ahead. We’ll be here on the bench.” Shrugging Jaebum and Youngjae walks off as Mark turns to Jinyoung flashing him a smile.

“Anyways, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, Hanzo fighting skills are…”

Adjusting himself on the bench Jinyoung listens to Mark talk excitedly about the game. He couldn’t see the endearing look he was giving towards Mark right then but the people around him could.

When the five guys came back with their food they found Jinyoung and Mark sitting next to each other on the same bench overlooking a piece of paper Jinyoung was holding.

“What are you guys looking at?” Jackson asks taking a bite of his fish cake only to hiss in pain since it was still smoking hot.

“A lady handed us a flyer of the games going on around here. She also handed us a stamp card.” Showcasing the small rectangular card Jinyoung hands it over to Youngjae for him to look at. “Apparently if you and a partner win each game and collect all the stamps you can turn in the card for a prize.”

“Wow, your company really went all out this year.” Jaebum comments before taking a bite of his food.

Jinyoung nods his head in agreement, “I’m surprised as well.”

“Game and prize are my two favorite words. Yugyeom what do you say? Partners?” Bambam butts in, looking to his left at his best friend for an answer.

“You already know it.” Yugyeom answers high fiving his friend before they both go off to find the lady passing out the flier and stamp card.

“What kind of games are there?” Youngjae asks taking the other empty spot beside Jinyoung on the bench. He goes to blow on his fish cake, unlike Jackson before taking a bite of the food.

Glancing back down at the paper Jinyoung goes to recall the games they had set up. There was the Blindfolded Piggyback Race, Jenga, Word Guessing Game, Arm Wrestling, Queen Dodgeball, and Pepero Game. Jinyoung swallows down his nervousness. All these games sounded like couple games especially the last one. What about the children that are here? Looking around he noticed the bouncy house, giant slide bouncer, ring toss game, etc.

Oh.

This really was set up to be a couple or partner game. Glancing at Mark he wonders if he still wanted to do the game with him. Awhile back they both discussed participating without realizing what kind of games it consisted.

“So are you guys both participating in it?” Jaebum pipes up munching on his food making Jinyoung scrunch his face in disgust. His best friend should really work on eating more pleasantly.

“I was planning on it,” Mark says with a grin while turning towards Jinyoung and cocking his head slightly to the side. He stares at him waiting for his answer. “What do you say Jinyoung?”

If Mark didn’t mind playing the games with him then Jinyoung has no reason to say no. Breaking out into a smile Jinyoung pretends to crack his neck as if going to war. “Yugyeom and Bambam are so going down if we end up playing against them.”

 

The first game Mark and Jinyoung ended up choosing to play first were Jenga. Something easy to warm themselves up. They were to play one round with another couple. The four of them taking turns pulling out a piece of Jenga and placing it back on top. Whoever’s turn it was when the whole Jenga falls that team loses.

Jinyoung bites his bottom lip nervously as he watches Mark slowly push out a piece of Jenga with his index finger. It was getting harder to find a loose piece of Jenga. Holding his breath as Mark goes to slowly pull out the wooden piece afraid if he breathes the whole thing would collapse. He only does so when Mark successfully puts his wooden piece back on top. It goes on a couple of more time with the opponent and then Jinyoung. It was currently the opponent’s turn again as the man prods each piece to find a good piece to pull out. Jinyoung watched as the whole thing begins to sway back and forth slowly. He could feel his heart beating against his rib cage in anticipation for a win. When it finally tipped over and the whole thing collapse Jinyoung lets out a whoop opening his arm to embrace Mark who seems to be thinking the same thing. Both of them ended up hugging each other as Mark pulls him off his feet. Placing Jinyoung back down they stared at each other with wide grins hiding the apparent blush on both of their faces before turning to their opponent thanking them for a good game. Victory continues to be theirs in the Word Guessing Game (Mark being the guesser and Jinyoung being the actor), Arm Wrestling (Jinyoung bringing them their victory. Smacking down Yugyeom, their opponent, with a smug look), and Queen Dodgeball (Mark protecting “the queen” Jinyoung with all his might). They just needed two more stamps to turn in their card for the prize. The next game they decided to participate in was the Blindfolded Piggyback Race. As one of the worker’s hands Jinyoung a blindfold he goes to wrap it around his head to cover his eyes when Mark stops him.

“I think you should do the directing. I’m terrible at it.” Mark informs taking the cloth off Jinyoung’s hand to tie it around his eyes. Crouching down he motions for Jinyoung to get on his back. Leaning down Jinyoung wraps his arm loosely around Mark’s neck as his chest leans against Mark’s back. The older goes to scoop his legs up in his arms securing him on his back. “Do you trust me to bring home another victory?” Mark asks for only Jinyoung to hear as they wait for the race to start. All they had to do was have the blindfolded partner maneuver through this small obstacle course with the help of the partner being piggybacked to get to the end of the line.

“Always.” Jinyoung whispers back as the sound of a horn initiates the race to start.

It was definitely a challenge directing Mark since he always seemed to mistaken right from left for some reason. At first, there was a lot of stumbling where Jinyoung thought the both of them will surely fall over, but it never happened. Eventually, the both of them got the flow of things. Jinyoung understanding the best way to order Mark to maneuver them around the obstacles. Mark understanding just what Jinyoung meant. They eventually caught up to the couple in the first place and it was a close game but they lost by a few seconds to the finish line.

Getting off Mark’s back Jinyoung waits for Mark to stand back up. Untying the blindfold off himself Jinyoung watches as Mark blinks a couple of time to adjust his eyes back to the sunlight. There, he noticed the gleaming sweat on Mark’s forehead with his cheeks lightly dusted red from all the heat. Pulling down his right sleeves he begins dabbing Mark’s forehead when he feels him flinch by the touch.

“Sorry,” Jinyoung apologizes pulling his hand away feeling his cheeks grow warm for being caught doing something he shouldn’t be doing. Jaebum obviously read the signs wrong if Mark was flinching by Jinyoung’s touch.

“No, don’t be I was just taken by surprise.” Mark explains when the female host of the Blindfolded Piggyback game comes up to them.

“You guys put up a good fight for the competition. Plus couple or not you guys make for a good-looking couple.” The female host winks motioning with her hands, “Give me your stamp card and I’ll stamp it for you guys.” Watching Mark grab out their stamp card from his pocket the female host puts a stamp on the specific spot for the game. “Don’t tell anybody about this.” She says giving them a warm smile before walking away with a wave. Pocketing back the stamp card the both of them stared at each other with a grin before bursting out laughing. Guess they didn’t need to play the same game twice.

“So what’s the last game we have to play?” Mark asks taking a sip of his lemonade while walking alongside Jinyoung. They had just taken a break before playing their last game to win their prize. They had tried finding the rest of their friends to hang out but with no luck. Jaebum wasn’t replying to either of Jinyoung’s text messages or phone call. Meanwhile, Youngjae wasn’t picking up his phone. Jackson had picked up and said he was currently in the bouncy house with the children (which neither Mark and Jinyoung wanted to go to). Yugyeom and Bambam were probably still trying to get stamps for their card. So the both of them sipped on their lemonade while walking around the park mindlessly.

“Let’s see, we already done Jenga, the Word Guessing Game, Arm Wrestling, Queen Dodgeball, and the Blindfolded Piggyback Race. The only game we need to play is the…” Realizing what kind of game was left to play has Jinyoung heart quickening. “The Pepero Game.” He says in a low voice watching Mark’s eyes widen by surprise as his ears turn red.

“Oh,” Mark says as the awkwardness grew between them. “I’m-I’m okay with playing it. It’s the last game we need anyways. It shouldn’t be so hard right?”

“Yeah, it shouldn’t be.” Jinyoung answers back shyly walking ahead of Mark to hide his constant growing red face today. He hopes Mark thinks it’s all because of the sun.

The last game was everything except easy. Jinyoung could feel his palm sweating as he places the end of the pepero stick in between his teeth. Biting on it gently as Yugyeom and Bambam laughs a few feet away from them. Giggling to themselves as they found this game funny. They happened to be playing the game at the same time Mark and Jinyoung was with a few other couples. At the start of the horn, he see’s Mark’s eyes turn serious as he cups Jinyoung by the face gently. Slowly and swiftly Mark puts the pepero stick in between his lips as he takes a bite down the stick closing the distance between them. Instead of focusing on how fast his heart was beginning to beat, Jinyoung focuses in on staring into Mark’s brown orbs that looks a shade brighter by how the sun was hitting his face. That was until he could hear Yugyeom and Bambam giggling again before a whistle was blown. In the corner of his eyes, he sees the host pointing at Yugyeom and Bambam saying out loud ‘disqualified’!

“What?! The pepero stick just broke in half!” Yugyeom whines as the host shake her head.

“Sorry, but that’s the rule. Once it breaks without either of you guys biting it off each ends you guys are disqualified. Try again in the next round.” The host explains before walking off to inspect other couples in the game.

“Dude you were laughing so much you broke the pepero stick.” Yugyeom goes to blame his best friend as Bambam waves it off.

“Whatever, you were laughing just as hard. Who cares, like the lady said we can play again.” Bambam shrugs already grabbing another pepero stick from the pepero box the lady had handed out to each couple to munch on.

“Ugh, I don’t want to play this with you no more.” Yugyeom complains without really meaning any of it.

“Hey,” Mark calls with the pepero stick still between his lips. Without Jinyoung realizing Mark had already reached the halfway point of their pepero stick. “Focus on me.” Afraid of nodding his head in case of breaking the stick he looks into Mark’s eyes to let him know he’s back focusing on the game.

One bite brought Mark a few centimeters closer to Jinyoung’s face.

Another bite has Jinyoung noticing the long eyelashes Mark has.

A third bite has Jinyoung feeling the air Mark was breathing out tickling his face.

Devious giggles have Mark’s lip crashing on to Jinyoung’s own, but it was a soft crash that didn’t hurt. However, it did have both Jinyoung and Mark eyes widening in shock. If Mark was just as surprised as him Jinyoung figured it wasn’t the older man's idea to kiss him. Opening his mouth as he pulls back he watches Mark bite off his end of the pepero stick and place it in the palm of his hand. Another giggle as Jinyoung whips his body around to look behind him. He finds Yugyeom clutching one hand on his stomach and another covering his mouth.

“You little twerp that’s not funny and you almost caused us to be disqualified!” Jinyoung roars in irritation as he hears Mark lecturing Bambam as well. (Who, similar case with Yugyeom was laughing his head off.)

“We just wanted to help pick up your slow pace hyung!” Bambam defends as the same lady who disqualified Yugyeom and Bambam earlier came by to inspect what’s left of the pepero stick. Taking out her ruler she measures the item and nods her head. The four men waited for the result as she scribbles something on the clipboard she was carrying.

“Sorry to say, but your pepero stick was about an inch. The shortest record I have this round is two centimeters. You guys are the third runner-up so I can’t give you guys a stamp this round.” After her explanation and an apologetic look, she leaves to announce the winner as both Jinyoung and Mark whips their head to stare down at Yugyeom and Bambam once more.

“Oops,” Bambam draws out scratching the nape of his neck as Yugyeom snickers. Ever so slowly the both of them took a step back before bolting. Afraid of facing Jinyoung and Mark’s wrath.

“We were so close to winning.” Jinyoung sighs his anger depleting when both men ran away.

“If you want we can play another round and try to get a victory.” Mark pipes up grabbing a pepero stick from the box to eat just like Bambam. Checking the time on his phone Jinyoung shook his head.

With a shrug, he looks at Mark who was staring at him waiting for an answer. “It’s getting late and I don’t want to miss the firework show. I don’t really care if we get all the stamps or not for the prize. It was just fun playing the games you know?”

Giving Jinyoung a knowing smile Mark offers the box of pepero stick out to him. “Pepero stick? You know, this time for eating only.” Snorting at Mark’s attempt at a joke Jinyoung takes one out of the box to eat anyways.

 

The fireworks always went off at nine at night where the sun is setting and the sky is turning dark. After Mark and Jinyoung had decided on giving up the game and reunite with Jaebum, Youngjae, Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom (However, it took some coaxing for the two guys to come back to their group of friends because they were afraid of Mark and Jinyoung harming them.) they were now standing at the railings looking out towards the body of water waiting for the fireworks.

Jinyoung can hear the chatter and laughter all around him as the cool breeze blew past him. With the sun going down the temperature began to cool down as well. Looking to his left he sees Mark standing beside him. Talking to Jackson while the person beside him, Jaebum, talking to Youngjae and there was Yugyeom beside him talking to Bambam as usual. Seeing them all having fun brought a grin to his face. It was crazy, but in less then a month he reconnected with one person and made four new friends. This was more friends he made at once than in college. Shaking his head chuckling to himself in disbelief he sees Mark turn to him with questioning eyes. Probably wondering what was he laughing about. Again, shaking his head informing Mark not to worry about it he gives him a smile who returns it. Just then a loud crack was heard up in the sky as a few people and children ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ was heard. There were a few crying children as well, startled by the loud noise.

“The firework show is starting!” Youngjae yells excitedly as all seven men look up into the night sky gazing up at the multicolored fireworks. The sight was breathtaking, multiple small little sparks exploding and unfolding into something big and beautiful. Taking a side glance at Mark whose attention was up in the sky he sees the color of the fireworks dance across his face. When he accepted the friendship Mark extended out to him he really did put all the bad things behind him. The anger and hurt that built inside that was used to cover up just how much he missed Mark. Now that he’s back in Seoul maybe the universe was giving Jinyoung a second chance with Mark. A second chance not as lovers, but as friends. So he took it, giving up his feelings for Mark he had held onto for four years and wiping it away. Only it didn’t, like a fire it hadn’t extinguish; instead, it kept growing stronger. Each time he spent his time with Mark he was adding fuel to it. Jinyoung was afraid, he was losing control of the fire and sooner or later it would be impossible to put it out.

The Mark he knew and fell in love with was still the same. His laugh likes and dislikes, straightforwardness, loves for games, thoughtfulness, shy and quiet demeanor was all the same. And yet he also finds himself falling for the new Mark. Barista Mark, who makes his coffee every time he comes to his cafe. Strong and dominant Mark who orders his employees around with a straight face.

If Jaebum was standing beside him right now he’ll comment out loud, ‘You look ing in love. It’s sweet, but please don’t make me puke.’ He can feel the corner of his mouth tugging up in amusement.

‘How can time make you look even more beautiful four years later?’

Looking away and back up at the sky Jinyoung took in a breath to calm himself down of his emotions. It was as if Mark heard Jinyoung’s thoughts because he reached out his hand to take Jinyoung’s one in his. Jinyoung didn’t have the will to pull his hand away because he desperately wanted to hold Mark’s. He missed the warmth coming from Mark’s hand in his. And perhaps Jaebum was right maybe Mark didlike him back. They stood next to each other in silence staring up at the sky when Jinyoung feels a small squeeze of his hand from Mark. Flashes of the last four years of pain went through Jinyoung’s mind, setting up an alarm making him panic. Pulling his hand away from Mark’s grasp gently he pockets them in his pants ignoring the confused look Mark was giving him. He continues to stare up at the sky as if nothing had happened.

He panicked, the little squeeze of the hand Mark gave him made him realize something else besides being in love with Mark. He was afraid of being heartbroken by him all over again. He could fall in love with Mark again, but the fear of actually being in a relationship with him a second time outweighs it. Even with the possibility of Mark liking him.

The whole rest of the night Jinyoung found himself chatting less and avoiding Mark. If the guys noticed they didn’t say anything, especially Mark himself.

 

A week and two days. It has been a week and two days since he had last seen or hung out with Mark last. But who was counting right? Surely, not Jinyoung. Right.

“Did you get into an argument with Mark or something?” Jaebum’s voice cuts in breaking Jinyoung’s own train of thoughts.

“No,” Jinyoung answers a little too quickly as Jaebum raises an eyebrow up in suspicion. He goes to sip his cup of regular black coffee with sugar and milk, courtesy of Jaebum, to hide his growing red cheeks.

The coffee is lacking a lot of potentials. Where was the rich coffee taste? The smooth rich liquid caused by the milk?

He had spent too much time with Mark at his cafe drinking coffee Jinyoung realized. Talking about coffee he was missing his iced Americano made by Mark himself.

“Don’t lie to me Jinyoung, if nothing happened between you guys I’m pretty sure you would rather be at Mark’s cafe sipping your fancy coffee. Instead of being here, at my office, sipping instant coffee by yours truly.”

Sometimes Jinyoung was always envious of Jaebum’s ability to speak what he’s thinking so honestly and easily. If everybody spoke like his best friend there would be less misunderstanding and less drama in the world perhaps.

“For your information, your coffee is terrible even if it’s an instant coffee you manage to screw it up.” Jinyoung returns back as Jaebum snickers at that comment. That has Jinyoung smiling a little having forgotten about his problems for a second.

“So why are you avoiding Mark like the plague?” Jaebum finally asks when he was done laughing. Glancing at the wall clock behind Jinyoung’s head he leans back in his armchair. “We still have time to talk.”

Jinyoung felt bad he was interrupting Jaebum’s lunch hour to talk about his problems, but his best friend thought otherwise. His eyes warm and attentive like this was important to him. And it was a given since it was his best friend’s problem.

Jinyoung opens his mouth to talk only to be lost for words. He doesn’t even know where, to begin with. This whole feeling thing is all messed up in Jinyoung’s mind and heart. “I honestly don’t know where to start.” He finally says running his hand through his hair once.

“Okay,” Jaebum draws out sitting more upright in his chair, “For starters, do you still have feelings for Mark?”

Nodding his head slowly and firmly Jaebum moves on to the next question.

“Did something happened at the summer annual festival?”

There were multiple things that occurred that day as Jinyoung thought about it. Meeting Jaebum’s gaze he nodded his head again.

“Okay, do you want to tell me what it is?”

Silence.

“Is it the kiss?” Jaebum asks with a growing smirk as Jinyoung looks at him startled.

“How did you-it was…” Jinyoung fumbles with his words his cheeks growing red once more.

Waving it off Jaebum leans forward placing his right elbow on his desk while resting his chin on his hand. “Bambam and Yugyeom told us all about it.”

“I am going to murder those two when I get my hands on them.” Jinyoung plots under his breath.

“You know, all of us are rooting for you two,” Jaebum interjects meeting Jinyoung’s surprised eyes. “We talked about you two at the summer annual festival. How Mark seems genuinely smitten with you and you’re like an open book. So obvious.”

Crossing his arms in defense Jinyoung looks away from his best friend. “I am not.”

Scoffing Jaebum continues speaking, “Anyways, we all think it’s time you two get together.”

“That’s the problem Jaebum.” Unfolding his arms he goes to sag his shoulders while focusing on the wooden floor of Jaebum’s office. “Not only did I realize I love him all over again, I realized I’m also completely terrified of being in a relationship with him again.” Bringing his gaze from the floor to look into his best friend eyes he could feel his vision blurry from the tears forming in his eyes. “I’m scared of being hurt and going through the pain like the last four years. What if we break up and this time it wasn’t because of amnesia?”

The tears were spilling down his face now blurring his vision completely. Jinyoung hears some shuffling until the warmth of Jaebum’s hand patting his back in comfort let him know his best friend was standing beside him. Jaebum lets him cry for a few minutes in silence as he continues to pat his back which Jinyoung was thankful for. The silence helped calm his emotional state.

“That’s the funny part about the universe Jinyoung. Life is unpredictable. Anything can happen any second and it’s up to us to cherish every moment. It’s unfortunate what happened between you and Mark four years ago. But now you have a chance to be together again. You may like to believe the universe is giving you a second chance to be friends. But I see this as a second chance for you two to be together again. Don’t you want to take that chance and cherish every moment of it?”

Sniffling Jinyoung leans his head against Jaebum’s stomach. “Stop being so philosophical you piece of . What happened to the less intelligent Jaebum I knew back in college?”

Jinyoung could feel the vibration of Jaebum’s body as the older goes to laugh. “Time my lovestruck idiotic crybaby.” That has Jinyoung pulling back his head to only hit it lightly against Jaebum’s stomach once more.

 

Putting the last of the work equipment in its proper place Jinyoung grabs his bag off the floor. Waving goodbye to his coworker, today had been an exhausting day. Not that it wasn’t a good day because he loves what he does, but it was a tough day. One of his caller Jae_Day6 was crying while asking for love advice. However, the love advice he needed wasn’t the usual kind it was whether he should give up his love of playing Overwatch to focus on his dream of making videos. It was an odd case really and Jinyoung has had his fair share of guest crying during their call but for an actual human being love advice. As Jinyoung tried to calm down the crying male he watched Dowoon and Haejung sunbae biting their bottom lip trying so hard not to laugh. In the end, he managed to calm the male down and advise him to do both but to balance his priorities. He felt a triumph of success when Jae_Day6 thanked him over and over again before the call ended.

Now that he was done with his part of duty he was finally free to go home. As he walked down the building he couldn’t help thinking about the conversation he had with Jaebum earlier in the afternoon.

“Youngjae told me Mark seems awfully happier at the cafe. Especially whenever you had paid a visit there.” Jaebum says sitting in his chair once Jinyoung has stopped crying. “During the summer annual festival, Jackson explained to me how Mark was telling him he likes hanging out with you a lot . More than he’s supposed to.”

“What does that even mean?” Jinyoung asks shifting in his seat uncomfortably.

“It means he has similar worries as you do. You two lovebirds are clearly blinded by your own worries to see one another’s feelings.”

Looking up to meet Jaebum’s gaze he asks uncertainly, “Do you guys really all think Mark and I deserve a chance with each other?”

“While the rest of the guys probably don’t know the history between you and him except for me, we all do think you guys deserve a chance together.”

“Leaving for today Jinyoung?” A security guard at the front desk asks pulling Jinyoung out of his thought. Flashing a smile he nods his head.

“Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow Mr. Song.” Waving goodbye to the security guard he pushes past the glass front door to head towards his car. Only when he got near his car he stopped in his tracks because a particular blonde-grey hair male was leaning against his vehicle. He takes in the sight of Mark still in his work uniform as the light from the light pole hits at all the right spot on Mark’s body making him look ethereal. It has Jinyoung’s stomach doing weird flips. He didn’t realize just how much he missed seeing Mark for the last week and two days.

Mark must have finally taken notice of Jinyoung as he straightened himself from leaning against the car. Taking the steps to close the distance between Mark and him, Jinyoung purposely left about two feet of distance between them. He watches as Mark puts a hand on his neck rubbing it sheepishly.

“Hey,” he calls as Jinyoung shift the bag in his shoulder slightly.

“Hey,” he answers back looking down at his shoes.

“Look-”

“I’m-”

They both said at the same time making them both look at each other with an embarrassed smile. The both of them chuckled before Mark motions for Jinyoung to speak first.

Taking a breath to calm his nerves, “I’m sorry for avoiding you the past week. I just needed some time to think.”

Hearing that Mark lets out a low chuckle, “I wanted to apologize to you if I did something wrong that night.” Shaking his head vigorously to make his point Jinyoung puts both of his hands up.

“No! You didn’t...I-I panicked.” Jinyoung tries explaining as Mark brows furrowed in confusion.

“You panicked?” He asks as his eyes widen in horror, “Oh god, I read the signs wrong and ing Jackson even assured me that-” Mark begins rambling off.

“No! No,” Jinyoung cuts in, “you didn’t read the sign wrong.” He says quietly feeling his cheeks burn and turn red, “I like you.” He confesses watching Mark’s face for any sign of expression. He notices the sparkle in Mark’s eyes as he said it. Suddenly Mark took a step forward closing the distance between them leaving only a foot of distance.

“You like me?” Mark repeats staring straight into Jinyoung’s pupils causing his heart to speed up.

“It’s more like I have fallen for you again. The old and the new you.” Jinyoung continues with the confession.

“I thought I was the only one. The first time I saw you again on the radio it was weird, my heart started beating erratically like how it would when I recalled that one memory with you. But you also looked so beautiful that night I couldn’t stop myself from staring.” That has Jinyoung blushing looking away from Mark’s intense gaze on him.

“No, don’t look away from me,” Mark says placing a hand on both sides of Jinyoung’s face gently turning his head to face him once more. “After the radio show and our little talk that night I vowed to never hurt you again. If you didn’t want anything to do with me I’ll be okay with that. If you wanted to be just friends with me I’ll take that. I may not have my have memories back but each time we hung out with each other I couldn’t help myself but fall deeper in love with you.”

Jinyoung felt his throat going dry as his brain tries to process all this new information. He watched as Mark continues to look into his eyes waiting for an answer.

“Say something?” He whispers out when the silence has been dragged on for too long.

“I’m scared, Mark.” He says quietly as Mark began caressing his cheeks with his thumbs.

“Why?” He asks back just as quiet like they were in their own little world and their conversation was for only them to hear.

Confessing his deepest fear his voice began to waver a little. “I’m scared of going through all the pain again if we break up a second time. My heart can’t go through all that again Mark.”

Hearing that Mark flashes Jinyoung a reassuring smile. “You won’t lose me again this time Jinyoung.”

“You don’t know that.”

“True, I don’t know what life will throw unexpectedly at me. But if you listen to my heart carefully it’s beating for you. I don’t want to waste another four years not being with you. Not making you coffee, not making you laugh, and not making you smile.”

“Do you really mean that? You won’t leave me again?” His vision was blurry as tears slid down his face and each time it does Mark was already thumbing it away.

“I won’t leave you even if my Café runs out of business.” That earns a small bubble of laughter from Jinyoung.

“Don’t say that.” He whines as Mark laughs.

“Okay, I won’t.”

“Hey, Mark?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m crazy for you, you have to know that. My heart, it’s been through a lot. I need time to get rid my fears so I can completely be with you. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

Jinyoung waits for Mark’s answer as the older tilts his head slightly in deep thought. The unresponsiveness has Jinyoung nerves running wild.

“That we will be going on dates until you officially say ‘yes’ to being my boyfriend?” Mark asks breaking into a grin, “Then, yes, I completely understand.” That has Jinyoung breaking out into a smile too. “Can I kiss you?”

Pretending to think for a few seconds just to get on Mark’s nerve, he finally nods his head as he feels Mark move his hands from his face to wrap them around his neck. Pulling Jinyoung down gently Mark goes to tiptoe on his feet before planting a soft kiss on his lip that has Jinyoung fluttering his eyes closed. The feeling was like having their first kiss all over again. That has Jinyoung smiling into their kiss. When they finally pulled apart both of their faces were sporting pink blushes under the dimly lit light.

“I should let you get back home. I’ll call you tonight?” Mark asks shyly placing his hands behind his back bouncing up and down on his foot slightly.

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to it.” That has Mark flashing his famous smile at him. Baring his pearly white teeth. “Oh, Youngjae and Yugyeom miss you.”

“Tell Youngjae I’ll swing by soon and tell Yugyeom he better run when I come because I’m planning on murdering him.”

Mark lets out his high pitch laughter as he wraps his arms around his stomach doubling over slightly. “Should I warn Bambam and bring a shovel too?” He jokes playing along as Jinyoung laughs back nodding his head. When the laughter died down Jinyoung motions for Mark to get going as Mark stood rooted in his spot.

“So next week Monday, are you free to go on a picnic date with me?” Mark inquired as Jinyoung couldn’t help but feel his lips quirking upwards in amusement.

And just like the first night they met Jinyoung’s says, “I’ll think about it. If that’s all, if you’ll excuse me I’m trying to get home. It’s been a very long night.” Although this time his words weren’t filled with coldness and he wasn’t trying to avoid Mark. Instead, it was filled with humor and playfulness. And this time he waited for Mark’s reply before getting into his car and watching Mark travel back to his car safely.

 

It took two months and twenty-four dates later when Jinyoung felt the fear of being with Mark leaving him completely. He was sprawled on Mark’s bed reading his favorite author latest book that Mark had bought him. The older was laying beside him in bed going through his social media on his phone. Bookmarking his page Jinyoung places his book down on the bed away from Mark and him. Scooting closer towards the older male he goes to lay his head on top of Mark’s chest where his heart is. Listening to the beating hearts of Mark.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

He hears Mark’s heart beats strongly as the older brings his arm to wrap around Jinyoung pulling him closer before running his hand through Jinyoung’s hair lovingly. That brings a smile to Jinyoung’s face as he looks up at the older to get his attention. He waits as Mark places down his phone to look down at Jinyoung expectantly.

“I can hear your heartbeat,” Jinyoung says as Mark smiles at him in amusement.

“And?”

“It’s like you said, it’s beating for me.”

“Never doubt that it wouldn’t.”

Sitting up in bed Jinyoung turns his whole body to face Mark as the male sits up in bed too. Grabbing Mark’s right hand he goes to place it across his own heart.

“My heart’s been beating for you too. Four years ago it was and four years later it still is.”

“What are you trying to say Jinyoung?” Mark’s eyes widen a little.

“I love you. Whether the Mark I knew back then or the Mark I know now. I love you. Just you . Mark Tuan.”

Mark closes the distance between them in bed, enveloping him in a warm embrace as he plants a small kiss on the side of Jinyoung’s head.

“I love you too. Even after my amnesia, I fell in love with you again. I just know my heart beats only for you . Park Jinyoung.” Pulling himself away to look into Jinyoung’s eyes he couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. “I’m being cheesy aren’t I?”

“It’s going to get a whole lot cheesier,” Jinyoung replies back as Mark arches his eyebrows in wonderment.

“My heart’s ready now and if you will still have me I would very much like to be your boyfriend.”

Mark lets out another laugh, his high pitch one that always has Jinyoung grinning like an idiot because he knows he was the cause of that laughter. Mark motions for Jinyoung to scoot towards him. Shuffling closer Mark pulls Jinyoung onto to his lap having Jinyoung straddle him.

“That will make me the happiest man on this earth.”

Wrapping his arms around Mark’s neck the older goes to wrap his arms around his waist. Jinyoung watches as Mark leans in for a kiss. Tilting his head slightly he anticipates when their lips touch. And when it does it was languid and filled with so many emotions as their lips move against each other. As they continued to kiss Jinyoung realizes something again that day and his heart was content with it. Mark may never fully recover all the memories he lost four years ago. Like how they first met in the rain back in college. Or the kiss they shared one night on campus as the snow slowly fell down around them. But that’s okay, as Jinyoung parts his lip slightly for Mark’s tongue to slide inside making him moan. They could make new memories. Ones where Mark would make Jinyoung his favorite coffee drink whenever he asks for it. And maybe even ones where Mark would pick Jinyoung up from work just so he could spend the night over at Jinyoung’s apartment. Whatever it is, let it come. He was ready.

 

 


And it's a wrap! Thank you guys all so much for giving love to this story by reading, leaving a comment, subscribing, and giving it upvotes. I really appreciate it! ♡
What are you thoughts on the final chapter or as a whole? Do you have lingering questions? I want to know and I'll do my best in answering them. ((:
Also, can you guys decipher this code and find out the surprise I have in store?

VI.VI.MMXVIII : FQJMPHVF

Again, thank you, I had a lot of fun turning this prompt into a story. ♡