Reconnecting

Radio DJ, Listen to my Heart

“What the hell Jinyoung? I thought the whole idea of meeting up with Mark was to put him behind you? Not bring him back into your life!” Jaebum says staring at Jinyoung intently. Jinyoung was at Jaebum’s apartment after leaving Mark’s Café. He needed someone to talk after his conversation with Mark and that person was no other than his best friend.

“I know,” Jinyoung squirms in his seat under the intense stare his best friend was giving him. “I really did put all my anger behind me. But maybe this is a sign. He came back into my life four years later. Maybe the universe is telling me we are meant to be friends instead of lovers. Besides being friends isn’t that bad.”

“It’s bad when I know you still have feelings for him.” Jaebum jabs back pointing a finger at him accusingly. “Don’t think I don’t know why you haven’t dated anyone in the last four years. I’m your best friend. I know you better than you know yourself.”

As much as Jinyoung hates Jaebum for knowing him so well (and he can say the same for Jaebum) the guy was right. His stupid heart with feelings was telling him to love Mark.

“I know, but I’m going to get rid of all my feelings. I really just want to be his friend. Nothing else I swear.”

Sighing Jaebum knew there was no stopping Jinyoung. But he also knew that getting rid of one's feelings isn’t that simple and easy like Jinyoung made it sound. He just hopes the younger would follow his own words. He doesn’t think Jinyoung’s heart could take another heartbreak and this time to the point of no repair. Jinyoung’s heart was already so wounded and fragile. It took four years for his heart to heal into a decent state.

“Fine,” Jaebum grunts, “but if you’re going to be friends with Mark again count me in too. I want to see how’s he has been.”

Hearing his friend giving in and wanting to reconnect with Mark once more puts a smile on Jinyoung’s face. Leaning forward in his seat, “Did you know Mark opened his own cafe here in Seoul?”

 

Two weeks had passed since Jinyoung last stepped inside Mark’s cafe. This was their first meet up with a whole new purpose of being friends. Tugging on the sleeve of his cardigan Jinyoung was nervous and excited at the same time.

“For crying out loud Jinyoung there’s nothing to be nervous about. Just be your boring self.” Jaebum advises standing beside him dressed in a pair of black jeans and designer t-shirt with a moto jacket over it. Rolling at Jaebum’s failed attempt at being funny Jinyoung was actually glad his best friend came along with him. Mark was more than happy to hear Jaebum was coming to see him when Jinyoung told him through text messages. Yes, they exchanged phone numbers the last time they saw each other.

“For your information, I’m not boring .” Jinyoung barks back earning himself a grin from Jaebum.

“Glad to know your highness. Now let’s go, I want to check out this place.” Without waiting for him Jaebum heads towards the door leaving Jinyoung to follow behind him. Glancing at his wristwatch they were a few minutes before the actual time. They agreed to meet up with Mark around seven in the evening. Mark’s cafe closes at that time which would allow Mark to meet up with Jaebum and him for dinner. Following Jaebum inside the cafe, he sees the worker cleaning up for the day.

“Sorry, the cafe is closed for the day.” The tall man Jinyoung recognized from the first time he came to the cafe says. If he remembers correctly the tall male name was Yugyeom.

It seems like he recognized Jinyoung as he lets out an, “Ah, it’s you. Let me fetch my boss.” Placing down the dry cloth he was using to wipe the glass cups he once again walks through the double door. “Boss!” Jinyoung and Jaebum both hear the male shouts. Since business was closed and the heavy coffee machine has stopped whirring for the day the cafe was quiet. So it wasn’t hard to hear Yugyeom behind the double door especially since he was yelling. “The guy you’re seeing is back!” Jinyoung can feel himself going crimson as a few of Mark’s employees glances his way. He was not seeing Mark Tuan in that way.

“Yugyeom stop making things up and stop shouting!” Mark says back as Jaebum coughs under his breath with a sly smile finding all this to be entertaining. The double door burst open revealing Mark just the same as last time. Donning a white dress shirt, black pants, and a full-on apron. “Sorry, I got so caught up with work I didn’t realize the time. Just let me slip out of my apron and we can leave.” Mark apologizes hands reaching towards his back to untie his apron. Taking it off he quickly dashes back to the double doors and comes back out with a black blazer. “Yugyeom I’m trusting you to help me lock up the store.” He calls putting on his blazer as he tosses a set of keys towards the tall male who catches it.

“Aye aye, boss.” Yugyeom salutes at his boss trying to be funny and it seems to work as Mark roll his eyes lips quirking upward for a smile. Jinyoung felt himself staring at Mark. His business suit fitting him at all the right places. Making him look sharp and powerful. Having his hair gelled up showing off his forehead as Jinyoung’s throat going dry. Mark was still a living breathing piece of art Jinyoung still remembers him to be. Perhaps he was staring for far too long as he felt a nudge in the rib from Jaebum. Turning his face in the direction of Jaebum the guy kept his eyes trained straight ahead.

“Stop staring at him like he’s the hottest piece of you’ve ever seen.” Jaebum mutters under his breath causing Jinyoung to go red in the face once more. Was he being that obvious? He hopes Mark doesn’t see. These feelings, they would eventually subside and go away right? “Remember why you wanted to do this Jinyoung. You’re trying to be his friend not his lover.” Jaebum reminded as Mark arrives to greet them once more.

“It’s so nice to see you again Jaebum. How’ve you been?” Mark extends his hand out for Jaebum to shake. Taking Mark’s hand in his Jaebum gives a firm shake as he flashes a warm smile at the older male.

“It’s nice to see you again as well Mark. I’ve been well and I see you have as well. Opening up your own Café huh?” Jaebum asks as Mark nods his head.

“Yeah, it’s been opened for a year now. You should come by sometimes. I’ll treat you to a free drink.”

“I’ll hold on to your words for that.”

Jinyoung watched their exchange of words reminding him of the first time they met each other back in college. The nervous feeling of introducing Mark, someone who he had gone on a couple of dates with, to his best friend even though they didn’t have a label. He knew right then and there the crush he developed on Mark was more than that.

“You should come by as well Jinyoung.” Blinking a couple of times he can’t believe he drifted off into his own thoughts again. He realized he’s been doing that quite often lately. Meeting his gaze with Mark the grey blonde flashes him a smile. “Anyways, I’m sure you guys are starving. I know this great pizza restaurant a couple of blocks down from here if you guys want to try it.”

“Pizza sounds great. Right, Jinyoung?” Jaebum looks to his friend beside him who haven’t talk for a long time now.

“Yeah, pizza is fine with me.” Jinyoung answers as Mark walks past him flashing another of his smile.

“Get your act together.” Jaebum whispers into his ear as they both follow behind Mark. Stepping outside the cafe the sky was a mix of red, orange, yellow, and pink since the sun was setting. Spring season was already halfway done since it seems like June was right around the corner.

The three ended up at a regular size pizza shop filled with a few customers. The wondrous smell of pizza has Jinyoung’s mouthwatering. He was more hungry than he realized. The three of them all ended up ordering a different slice of pizza for themselves. At first, the three of them remained quiet eating their slice of pizza until Jaebum began asking about Mark’s interest in coffee. The two of them got caught up talking about their work of passion leaving Jinyoung to eat alone. He didn’t mind though since he wasn’t interested in talking about work. Taking a bite of his pepperoni pizza he catches a figure taking a seat in a chair across from him and besides Mark.

The guy was dressed in a red and white stripes t-shirt wearing a red cap that hid his hair. But a few strands of his blonde hair still stuck out. A gold necklace was dangling around his neck as Jinyoung makes eye contact with the stranger who smiled at him.

“Hey cutie,” the guy greets catching Jinyoung off guard.

“I’m sorry?” Jinyoung wasn’t sure if he heard right. Did this stranger just come up and flirt with him?

“If you were a pizza and I was cheese, I’d melt all over you.” The stranger says sending a wink across the table when Mark took notice of someone sitting beside him.

“Jackson!” He calls out causing the guy to break out in laughter as Mark headlocks him in his arm. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be working?”

“I am working!” Jackson tries to wiggle free from Mark’s grasp, “I work here remember!”

“Yeah, but aren’t you delivering pizzas around right now?” Letting go of his hold on Jackson the guy straightens himself in the chair.

Fixing his cap, “Well yeah, but Bambam is taking forever to get the orders ready in there.” He points to the kitchen behind him with his thumb. “So I’m just waiting here until he’s done. That’s when I saw you over here and this guy eating pizza by himself.” Mark glances towards Jinyoung with a guilty look seeming having forgotten to include Jinyoung on his conversation with Jaebum. Bringing up his hands he quickly tries to explain it wasn’t a big deal.

“I was fine, honestly! Don’t you worry about it.” Turning to glare at Jackson, the guy he just met, Jinyoung watches the guy give a shrug.

“Um, so who exactly are you?” Jaebum pipes up asking the question for both Jinyoung and him.

Smirking the male being questioned turns his attention towards Jaebum with a smirk. “I’m the wild and y Jacks-” he manages to say before he gets cut off by Mark who places a hand over the guy’s mouth. Muffling him from speaking further.

“He’s Jackson Wang a guy who clearly doesn’t know how to lay off his flirting,” Mark says eying his friend as he releases him from his grasp for the second time. “He’s one of the first friends I made when I came to live back here in Seoul.”

The last part of the introduction must have flattered Jackson as he wraps his arms around Mark affectionately. “Oh, Markie that’s so sweet of you!”

“Jacks, get off!” Mark shouts trying to pull Jackson off him with no success.

Ignoring Mark, “I believe I’m also the one who introduced him to the place his Café is now open at. I should take my credit for that.”

“Jackson, seriously get off,” Mark warns with a serious tone when a bell ringing from an opening from the kitchen wall, made to serve orders out of, catches Jackson’s attention.

“Well looks like duty calls. Nice meeting you guys.” Letting go of his hug Jackson bids them goodbye as he walks to the open kitchen wall window to grab two boxes of pizza.

“He didn’t even get our names.” Jaebum states, “So how the hell does ‘nice meeting you guys’ work?” Hovering a hand over his mouth Jinyoung laughs at what his best friend just said. Mark must have found that funny as well as he laughs wholeheartedly flashing his pearly white teeth. “Is he always like that? Flirting so openly?”

“Yes, but that’s because he’s such a social butterfly,” Mark explains taking a bite of his pizza. Somehow Jackson’s appearance seemed to have broken the ice between Jinyoung and Mark giving them a similar ground to walk on. Jinyoung was more willing to join in their conversation as well as making eye contact with the guy. It was probably an hour and a half into their hangout when Jaebum receives a call from his phone startling both Mark and Jinyoung.

“What do you mean...no, I’ll be there in thirty minutes,” Jaebum says in a hurry getting up from his seat as Mark and Jinyoung watches him gather his coat. Hanging up the call he stuffs his phone in his pants pocket while giving both males an apologetic smile. “Sorry you guys but work called in and they need me back asap.”

“Wait, then what about me? You promised me you’ll drive me back to my apartment. That’s why I didn’t drive my car today!” Jinyoung yells after Jaebum who was already making his way to the front door.

“Sorry, Jinyoung! You’ll have to find your own way back tonight!” Jinyoung purse his lips together watching Jaebum make his way out the door and crossing the street to where he parked his car.

“I can drive you.” Mark pipes up grabbing Jinyoung’s attention. “I can drive you home.” Mark repeated once more. Biting his bottom lip Jinyoung considered Mark’s offer and didn’t see a problem with it.

“Okay, thanks.”

After agreeing the two of them cleaned up their area and headed out the pizza shop. The sky was still bright despite the sky being replaced with a dark blue and the moon replaces the sun. Jinyoung was so glad today was a Friday and he didn’t have work for the next two days. They walked in silence towards where Mark parked his car. It wasn’t an awkward silence, more of a comfortable silence that both males didn’t feel a rush to fill in the void of quietness. Passing by a bookstore Jinyoung halted in front of the window display.

Stopping beside Jinyoung, Mark looks towards the display he was looking at. “What is it Jinyoung?”

“I didn’t know she came out with a new book. She’s one of my favorite authors.” Jinyoung explains pointing at a book placed on a book display stand on top of a table. “Too bad the bookstore is already closed. I guess I’ll have to buy her book another time. Given if I remember it that is.” Jinyoung jokes continuing his walk down the street as Mark follows along. “Hey, do you want ice cream?”

“So suddenly?”

“Yeah, I figured I could treat you for driving me home and also get revenge on Jaebum for ditching me it rubbing it in his face. That …” Jinyoung mutters grumpily as Mark smiles.

“Okay, I think there’s a convenience store right across from where I parked my car.” Mark says turning his eyes back on the street. “Hey, thanks for giving this a try. You know as being friends.” Mark spoke up after a moment of silence.

“Yeah, Jaebum seems to really like you given the guy hasn’t seen you in four years.”

Mark chuckles at that, “I think so too. I hope you don’t mind Jackson earlier. He’s like that with everybody.”

“No, but I didn’t like how he was accusing me of being left out. I was fine honestly.” Jinyoung says bitterly, “How are you liking Seoul after a year of living here?” He asks making small conversation.

“Feels like home like I said before. I’m content living here in Seoul. Oh, my car is parked over there.” Mark points to his white car across the street. The convenience store was right on Jinyoung’s left side. The both of them went inside strolling down the aisle to the back of the store where the cold products were stored. Pulling open the door Jinyoung goes to grab a vanilla cone for himself before looking to his right at Mark. “Do you want the same one?” Mark nods his head as Jinyoung grabs it and hands it to him.

“Oh,” Mark lets out when a little girl pokes him on the leg.

“Can I get one?” She asks as her mother rushes to her side apologizing for her daughter's behavior. Jinyoung watches as Mark waves it off before opening the freezer’s door once more to grab a vanilla cone ice cream only to find out it was empty. Given how warm it has been the last few days he guessed a lot of people had come into the store and bought ice cream. Mark must have noticed the empty slot for vanilla cone ice cream as he hands over his own to the little girl. The mother thanked him before walking away as Mark reaches into the freezer to grab a chocolate cone one.

“Come on, I need you to pay for this since it’s your treat.” Mark jokes as Jinyoung follows behind him. Once Jinyoung had paid for them both they decided to go to the park a street down from the convenience store to hang out. Sitting on the swings next to each other Jinyoung unwraps his vanilla cone ice cream before extending it out for Mark to take. He watches as Mark stared at the ice cream before looking at him unsure what to make of this.

“The vanilla cone is your favorite,” Jinyoung mumbles feeling his cheeks burning because he was being a hypocrite. He told Mark not to do intimate things as if they were still dating and yet here he was doing just that. “Just switch with me. I don’t care what flavor I eat really.” He explains as Mark opens his mouth to say something before closing it shut. He does as what Jinyoung told him to do. Swapping their ice cream the both of them ate it in silence for a few minutes until Mark spoke up.

“Thank you.” He thanks quietly making Jinyoung cheeks go red again. He hopes the dim lighting hid it well for Mark not to see.

 

After their first hang out it seemed Jinyoung and Mark had gotten closer together. They hung out more often together and with their other friends like Jackson and Jaebum in the span of a month. Jinyoung had also begun to visit the cafe Mark works at more often. Usually in the afternoon before going to work at night. He came to be a regular customer at the cafe getting to know the employees like Yugyeom, the tall male employee, and Youngjae, the one with the loud boisterous voice. It was another weekday and three o’clock. The usual time Jinyoung would come in to get a cup of coffee while hanging around the cafe to chat with the employee and Mark as the male takes his break during this time. Strolling in he waves at Youngjae who was wiping a cup clean at the counter. The younger male waves back as he walks to the corner of the store where Yugyeom first brought him to sit when he first came in here. The area came to be his corner whenever he came here to relax and chat with Mark. No sooner than a minute Mark appears sliding into the booth across from Jinyoung. Flashing a smile in the process as he slides a freshly made cup of an iced Americano (by Mark Tuan) for Jinyoung.

Giving a smile to Mark letting him know he appreciated it he takes a sip. Letting out a sigh he his lips as Mark takes a sip of his own drink. Raising an eyebrow up, “What are you drinking today?” Mark was always drinking a different drink whenever Jinyoung came to visit while he drank the same drink every time he was here.

“This here is an Espresso Con Panna. It’s place of origin in Italy.” Mark informs proudly, “It means ‘espresso with cream’ in Italian. It’s a single or double shot of espresso topped with whipped cream. What we have here is a single shot.” Jinyoung always found Mark explaining his coffee drink fascinating. It was probably how Mark looked so proud, eyes gleaming and how happy he was telling Jinyoung what each drink was and where it came from. “Would you like to try it?” He asks pushing the drink towards Jinyoung. Taking the drink in his hand he takes a sip watching Mark anticipating his comment. Jinyoung grimaces slightly before placing the drink back down and slide it back to Mark.

“A bit too bitter for my liking,” Jinyoung says as Mark shrugs his shoulder before leaning across the table brushing his thumb across his upper lip to help wipe off the cream. That has Jinyoung’s heart picking up speed. This wasn’t the first few times it happened since becoming friends with Mark. The older male had done something similar like this a couple of times before. Such as grabbing Jinyoung’s hand and giving it a squeeze or brushing his bangs off his eyes with no explanation. Just a smile.

Brushing it off like it didn’t affect him for the umpteenth time Jinyoung tried to calm his erratic heart. “Oh, I almost forgot! I’ll be right back.” Mark says sliding out of the booth and dashes behind the double door of the kitchen. He comes back out a few minutes later holding a paper bag in hand. Taking his seat across from Jinyoung again he slides the bag across the table. Looking at Mark who gestures for him to look inside he does just that. Bringing out a book he can’t believe Mark actually remembered the book Jinyoung had seen through the window display that very first night they hung out.

“I figured you forgot about buying this book and just a few days ago I passed by the bookstore and saw it. So I bought it for you.” Mark explains as Jinyoung caress the book cover with his thumb.

“Thank you,” looking up from the book Jinyoung gives Mark a smile as he returns the smile back.

“No need to. That’s what friends are for, right?” Mark asks.

Except Jinyoung felt more than what a friend should feel.

 

Lying in his bed Jinyoung flips to sleep on his back. Holding his phone to his ear as he stares at the ceiling. It was one in the morning, he had just got back from work half an hour ago and his thoughts were keeping him awake. He was also keeping Jaebum wide awake as well and the guy wasn’t too happy about it.

“What’s keeping you up?” Jaebum asks through the phone, voice a little groggy from being kept against from sleeping. Jinyoung felt bad but he really needed to talk to his best friend or else he knew the thoughts in his head would keep whirring. Working every millisecond in his head.

“Jae, I don’t think I can continue to be Mark’s friend.” Jinyoung confesses startling the other cause he hears some rattle coming off the other line.

“What do you mean? Did he do something?” His best friend asks defensively.

“No, that’s the point. He didn’t really do anything.”

“I don’t quite follow you.”

Letting out an exasperated sigh he run his fingers through his hair. “I’m falling for him all over again. I thought I can give up my feelings but they just keep coming back and I can feel myself falling even deeper. I can’t be just his friends like I said I wanted.” He was waiting for Jaebum to say ‘I told you so.’ But it never came.

“He’s that likable huh?” Jaebum asks surprising Jinyoung with that question because he wasn’t expecting that.

“You don’t know how much Jaebum and it doesn’t help that he gets touchy with me.”

“Touchy?” Jaebum questions and Jinyoung can picture one of his eyebrow arching up suspiciously with a smirk slowly spreading across his face.

“Not that you ert. He just sometimes grabs my hand and squeezes it or brushes my bangs off my face. Just today he helped wipe the cream off my mouth with his thumb. Each time he does something like that my heart quickens. It makes me realize I’m falling for him the second time while he probably just sees me as a friend.” Turning to lay back on his side Jinyoung waits for Jaebum to say something. Maybe encouraging Jinyoung to stop being his friend like what he originally wanted in the first place.

“Um, are you that dumb?”

“What?” Once again that was unexpected.

“Who does all those stuff with just a ‘friend’? I wouldn’t want to wipe whip cream off your lips with my thumb and I’m your best friend. Before you say anything I know I’m contradicting on my words from before, but I noticed after Mark had stepped back into your life you’re smiling more. You seem genuinely more happy like the world is finally at a balance.”

“Sheesh, poetic much Jaebum?” Jinyoung attempts to joke already imagining Jaebum eye rolls at him.

“Whatever, I don’t want to get your hopes up, but you ever let yourself consider perhaps Mark likes you too?”

Jinyoung opens his mouth to object the idea but nothing comes out. Does Mark like him too? “Don’t joke around here Jaebum. That’s not funny.”

“No, I’m not kidding. Remember how Mark said I should come over to his café sometimes and he’ll treat me to a free drink? Well, I did and more than once. He gave me a free drink the first time but other times after I had to pay.” Jaebum grumbles his displeasure. Mumbling out ‘he’s still that stingy person even after his amnesia’ under his breath.

“Maybe because Mark didn’t promise you a free drink each time you went. He needs to make a living you know?” Jinyoung tries to defend.

“Really?” Jaebum snorts, “He didn’t promise that to you if a recall but yet you still get a free drink every time you go.”

“That’s not true...” Jinyoung begins saying before the truth sinks in the more he thought about it. “Is it?”

“Yes, and that’s what I’m saying. He only seems to treat you more differently and that’s because he likes you.”

“Again, don’t be ridiculous. He clearly just sees me as a friend and probably still feels guilty about what happened four years ago.” Dismissing Jaebum’s accusation he decided to just go with Jaebum’s advice he gave. The next time Mark does something intimately impulsive he’ll tell him to stop. Jinyoung doesn’t need Mark to add fuel to the growing feelings he has for him. He needed it to be distinguished before it becomes bigger. “Hey, you’re coming to the annual party my company is hosting right?”

Jinyoung’s company was hosting their annual summer festival to celebrate the beginning of summer. It was one of the biggest events from their company to celebrate the workers’ hard work over the course of the year. Workers are allowed to invite as many family friends they wanted to the event. It would be hosted at a park filled with street food carts, games, and the famous fireworks in the evening.

“Yeah, don’t worry I wouldn’t miss it for anything.”

It was time for Jinyoung to roll his eyes this time. “You’re just there every year for the free food.”

“Touché, you know me so well. Am I the only one you invited this year?”

“No, I invited Mark and his friend Jackson, Bambam, and his coworkers who are my friends to now, Youngjae and Yugyeom. Those are the two that frequently comes to talk to me whenever Mark gets busy and have to leave me alone at the cafe to help some customers.”

“Do you not hear yourself? You guys sound like a couple who’s dating each other.”

“Shut up, Im Jaebum.”

“Gladly, can I go to sleep now?”

“Whatever, I hate you.”

“Hmmm, hate you too you brat.”

Jinyoung smiles as he hangs up the phone call with Jaebum. Times like these was he grateful for his best friend.

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors & penny for your thoughts? I, personally, am glad Jinyoung has Jaebum as his best friend. ((: