Welcome, My Ex

Radio DJ, Listen to my Heart

This was a nightmare. Jinyoung had never dreaded walking up to his work building a day in his life until now. It was a week later that Mr. 93 agreed to appear on the radio show and the audience was anticipating his return as a guest. Jinyoung was freaking out that very night knowing he was going to have to interview Mr. 93, aka Mark in person . His boss had a paper onto Jinyoung's chest not too long ago. Stating he wanted him to ask these specific questions to his guest.

Taking a deep breath in one of the restroom stalls he had to talk about this to someone. This, someone, was no other than his best friend, Jaebum. Hitting the call button he listened to the line ringing a couple of times. He knew Jaebum was still awake. The guy sometimes listens to his radio show at night. However, he missed Mr. 93’s one last week. The phone rung a few more times until it was connected to the other line of the phone.

“Hello, Jinyoung? It's nice to see you call me fifteen minutes before your radio show.” Jaebum jokes on the other line. Chuckling to himself not knowing Jinyoung’s crisis.

“Hyung,” his voice came out strain, “I’m freaking out.”

“About your radio show? But you've been doing this for four years now.” Jaebum says confuse by the sudden change of Jinyoung's demeanor.

“It's not that, did you read any internet articles of the famous love story that one of my guests on the radio shared?”

“Um, no,” Jaebum says sheepishly for not keeping up with Jinyoung's radio show like he said he was. “But what does this have to do with-”

“That guest was ing Mark Tuan.” Jinyoung cuts in heaving out a loud breath he was holding.

“Wait, the Mark Tuan? As in your ex-boyfriend Mark Tuan?” Jaebum asks flabbergasted by the news.

“Yes! I only dated one Mark Tuan in my life Jaebum!” Jinyoung growls annoyed.

“Hey, I’m just trying to confirm that that's the person you're talking about. I haven't heard his name come out of your mouth in four years.” Jaebum reasons, Jinyoung could picture clearly the slight raised shoulders and hands up in defense from Jaebum on the other line. “But back to the problem at hand. He's back in Seoul?”

“Apparently,” Jinyoung says grunting in the process. He places a hand on top of his forehead feeling a slight sting of a headache developing. “He said he came back to live in Seoul a year ago.”

“,” His best friend cusses under his breath, “and he remembers dating you back then now?”

“It looks that way. The story he shared on my radio show was exactly what happened between me and him four years ago. Not to mention it became a big hit with the listeners and my boss. Surprisingly because the radio show is at night…” Jinyoung trails off, “My boss has Mark coming to our radio show tonight. As in, in the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be seeing him face to face Jaebum and I am freaking out!” He exclaims feeling his body tremble slightly from all the fear.

“,” was what Jaebum manages to mumble out after finishing listening to Jinyoung’s rant.

Rolling his eyes he says in an irritated voice, “Is that all you can manage to say?”

“I’m just as confused and shocked as you. Less stress and terrified. But shock nonetheless.” Retorts Jaebum not submitting to Jinyoung’s emotional state.

Groaning in despair, “Do you think if I pretend to be someone else and not acknowledge our past he’ll buy it?” It was a poor weak formulated plan that he was tempted on trying.

“Really, Jinyoung?” The other guy deadpans his voice underlined with another message that goes like ‘That’s the dumbest idea ever.’

“I’m desperate!” Pulling his phone away from his ear he lets out another groan while looking at the time. “My nightmare is about to start in the next ten minutes.” He might be over exaggerating this whole ordeal. It’s can’t be that bad; however, in Jinyoung’s book, it is.

The advice Jaebum ends up giving Jinyoung was of no use. Telling the younger male to remain calm and ‘for sake act like the professional radio host you are’.

Trying to calm his nerves, Jinyoung lets out a breath of air. Jaebum’s right he needs to act as a professional and don’t let his emotional state get in the way. Besides, it’s not like Jinyoung hates Mark. It’s more like Jinyoung is scared of seeing Mark again because the older had left such a deep cut on his heart when he left. Four years has healed all wounds but the damage of a scar is still there. A reminder of his tragic first love.

Saying goodbye to Jaebum and making a promise to call him first thing in the morning tomorrow he hangs up the phone call. Pushing open the restroom stall he was in, he heads to the sink to turn on the faucet to begin splashing water on his face. Staring at his reflection he gives himself a mini pep talk before grabbing a few paper towels to dry his hands and face.

‘Let’s do this Park Jinyoung.’

 

“What took you so long to get here?” Jinyoung gets a stern glare from one of his female coworkers.

“Sorry, Haejung sunbae,” Jinyoung apologizes lowering his head down to show he meant what he said. He only earns another glare and a sigh of exasperation from Haejung before she waves him off.

“Whatever, just go get yourself set up before our guest come. He could walk in any minute and I need you to be ready to help settle him in. Dowoon is helping me set up all the cords right now so he can’t help him.” Haejung orders shoving some equipment into Jinyoung’s arms. He couldn’t refuse as she was technically in charge. With a grimace, he walks to his side of the table to check his headphone, microphone, and other machinery. Making sure everything was up and running without difficulty before going to the guest side, which was right across from Jinyoung, to do the same thing. Right as he was done he hears the door to their recording room opening.

There were some greetings being exchanged near the door. Jinyoung hesitated to look up afraid of meeting eyes with the person he feared to see.

“Yah, Jinyoung what are you doing still hovering over there?” Haejung’s voice resonated loud enough around the small room. “Get over here and greet our guest. He’s the one you're interviewing.”

“Y-yes,” he replies with a weak voice. Taking a deep breath he straightens his body and looks straight ahead. Walking with confidence even though his heart was about to jump out of his chest. As he gets close Haejung side steps away from Jinyoung revealing their guest of the night.

Mark Tuan, is American Taiwanese and twenty-six years old as of this year. Standing 175 centimeters tall and if you convert that to feet height it’ll be 5’9” approximately. Everything about him still looked the same. Yet if you take a closer look you can see some small wrinkles that had developed over the course of the years of growing older. His hair was no longer dark brown he’s seen from four years ago. Instead, it was many shades brighter. Sporting blonde-grey hair that just about falls down to his eyes.

Extending his right hand up from the side Jinyoung feels a triumph of success for his hand was not trembling.

“Hi, I’m your DJ host for the night. Park Jinyoung.” Introducing his name a tone lower and quiet than when he started. His worst nightmare comes alive as Mark meets his gaze and Jinyoung can clearly see a flash of recognition dance across his face.

“Mark Tuan. Thank you for having me here...DJ Park.” Mark says like he was out of breath. Hearing his voice in person instead of through the phone his voice was a little deeper then he recalls. And he could still make out that small pronunciation whenever he talked to show he was a foreigner. Jinyoung noticed his two coworkers didn’t seem to catch the odd exchange these two had had. Probably thinking Mark was probably star struck by meeting Jinyoung. As Haejung glances at her wristwatch before she pushes Mark towards Jinyoung telling him to direct Mark to his seat and settle him in. They had about five minutes before the radio show was about to begin.

Mark followed closely behind Jinyoung who led him to his coordinated seat. It was filled with awkward silence as Mark kept sneaking glances at Jinyoung. Meanwhile, Jinyoung was determined not to make any other eye contact for the time being. Handing over the headphones Jinyoung quickly explained how each of the equipment worked and how the show was going to be run for the day.

“Thirty seconds left! Get ready Jinyoung!” Haejung announces with her own headphones on while Dowoon sat beside her with a ton of other machine buttons on standby. Putting up her hand she counts down with her finger.

3.

Jinyoung puts on his headphones before clearing his throat one last time. Caressing his fingers over his packet of paper with the outline of the radio show today.

2.

Adjusting his microphone Jinyoung finally looks across from him to find Mark already staring back.

1.

“Good evening my fellow listeners and welcome to Midnight Kiss Radio. This is your daily radio DJ Park where I’ll be bringing you my latest slow songs collection to help you get through the night. As well as giving my honest opinion and love advice to those who seek them. As usual, I’ll be on air from 22:10 to 0:00 KST every weekday.” Jinyoung says automatically as this was the same introduction he’s been saying for the last for years. “Tonight we have a special guest with us who you’ll get a chance to help advise. Please welcome our last week’s guest, Mr. 93!” Clapping his hands to show effect he clears his throat. “To recap Mr. 93 here wants to know whether he should reconnect with his ex-lover. Who he hasn’t seen since four years ago after waking up from a coma leaving him to forget him and leave Seoul.” Picking up his paper in front of him Jinyoung scans for the first question of the interview.

“So, Mr. 93,” he calls as Mark scrambles to scoot closer to the table to lean in close towards the microphone.

“Y-yes,” Mark answers nervously holding onto both sides of his headphones.

“Are you nervous? Being at a radio show for the first time I mean.”

“A little?” Mark replies honestly letting out a soft light-hearted laugh. “I didn’t actually think I’ll be called to be on the show when I shared my story.”

“It looks like the audience seemed to have taken an interest in the story you shared.” Jinyoung comments his lip drawing a thin line. He wasn’t so fond of Mark telling their tragic tale to the whole part of Seoul. Even if a majority of them felt bad for the ex-lover, aka, him.

“Oh,” Mark must have noticed the look on Jinyoung’s face as he bites his lower lip in guilt. “I didn’t think…”

“Mr. 93?”

“Yes?”

“Please, no need to be so uptight. You’ll make my listeners think I’m grilling you with glares and questions.” Jinyoung pretends to joke mustering up a fake warm-hearted laugh. “Just relax and answer with whatever you want to say.”

“O-okay,” Mark sheepishly says buying into Jinyoung’s good guy role. “Thank you.” Glancing up to make eye contact with Mark, Jinyoung gives a firm nod taking Jaebum’s words to act as the professional he was.

“So, the first question I have here to ask you is...When did you get your memories back?” To be quite fair Jinyoung was also curious to the answers to some of these questions as well. But he wasn’t about to admit them.

“I don’t actually have all my memories back. Just a few of them I guess...like when I started my first year of college and just a small moment of being with him.”

“What makes you so sure you guys were more than just friends?” Jinyoung adds on another question. Sneaking a quick glance up at Jinyoung, Mark lowers his head with a small smile as his ears turned red.

“It was the way he looked at me and the way my heart beat whenever I recall the memory now.” That got Jinyoung’s attention as he brought his eyes to look at Mark who seemed to had shrunk smaller. Hugging himself as if he’s recalling the memory right then and there. He wondered which memory Mark had managed to recall as there were thousands of moments for Jinyoung to pick from.

“I see...and what prompt you to move back here to Seoul after leaving four years ago? Don’t you want to stay in Los Angeles, California?”

“At first I did, but when a few of my memories came back my perspective kind of change?” Mark answers the question with a question like he wasn’t certain on how to answer this himself. “I mean, Los Angeles was great. My parents are there, siblings, my high school friends, and friends I made after I went back. But I suddenly felt a yearning for Seoul. As if that was my rightful home. Living in LA for three years was like my temporary home or vacation. It was nice but it just didn’t feel...right.”

Nodding his head Jinyoung moves on to the next question. “Did you ever go back to college to attend law school in the states?”

Mark shook his head, “That’s the funny thing. It’s like after the car accident and waking up not remembering choosing law as my major my interest in it vanished. I did find a new profound interest in the art of coffee making.”

That took Jinyoung by surprise as his eyebrows rose up slightly, “Interesting…” he draws out as Mark flashes his famous canine teeth whenever he smiles brightly just as Jinyoung remembers. Clearly happy about discussing something he has a passion for.

“I took up barista courses and traveled a bit to further my knowledge of the types of coffee and the art of coffee.” Mark says proudly earning a few squeals from the people gathered by the glass window. Looks like Jinyoung’s fans may have taken a liking to Mr. 93 seeing just how handsome he actually was.

“Looks like my fans have taken a liking to you Mr. 93.” Jinyoung teases earning another round of squealing by said fans.

“Oh, um, I don’t know…” Mark replies back shyly the tips of his ears turning slightly red. Something that always happens as he grows shy or in embarrassment.

Laughing into the microphone Jinyoung notice Haejung tapping on her left wrist indicating it was time for a short break. “Well before I ask you any more questions Mr. 93 we’re going to have a short break. The first song I have for you today my listeners is ‘Walking in the Moonlight’ by the Night of Seokyo.” On cue, the music began to slowly fade in as the microphones turned off. Taking off his headphones Jinyoung gets up in a hurry heading towards the door. Making a lame excuse of needing to use the restroom. As he shuts the door behind him he can hear Haejung complimenting Mark on doing a good job on the show so far.

The rest of the interview continued on in the same pattern. Jinyoung asking a question and Mark answering it. There was the occasional comments and laughs for the show. It seems Mark has finally caught on with the fake act Jinyoung was putting on as Jinyoung seemed to be avoiding him whenever they go on break. Mark had tried approaching the younger male only to be avoided and ignored multiple times.

“So, here’s the last question I think everyone has all been waiting for me to ask. Mr. 93, we all know you said you’ve been thinking about your ex-boyfriend ever since you remember dating him back then. But why do you care to see how he’s doing?”

This was the burning question Jinyoung wanted to know as well. Why was Mark going through all this trouble? They broke up. He has no reason to think about Jinyoung anymore. So why?

Mark hesitated to answer that question. Debating if he should answer honestly as he took a few seconds to reply. “You can say I feel like we ended on loose ends. I-like I said I think I hurt him deeply without meaning to. I want to know that even after all the pain I caused him he’s doing well . Living the life he’s supposed to have and is happy.” With that last sentence, Mark drew his eyes across the table to look at Jinyoung. At that same moment, Jinyoung wasn’t sure why he looked up to stare right back at Mark. He felt himself falling trapped into those brown orbs looking at him with sincere interest.

‘Are you happy?’

Were the words Jinyoung can practically hear Mark asking him telepathically. Gulping down his saliva he shakes away any imaginary grip Mark has on him. “Well, my fellow listeners, there you have it. Go to our app or official site to give your vote ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on whether Mark should reconnect with his ex. I’ll read the result right when we come back after a short break. Our second to the last song of the night is ‘Swimming Pool’ by TAYLOR.”

Jinyoung was desperately hoping the listeners would vote for a ‘no’. He did not need Mark to come back into his life just to ask if he’s happy . Jinyoung is happy. He has a nice stable job he loves doing. He’s healthy and he enjoys hanging out with his friends and coworkers now and then. So, yes, he’s happy.

You dimwit, you know full well he’s asking if you’re happy in your love life. Did you move on from him ? After all the wounds he made on your heart?

Then the answer is no. He tried. He really did after two years had passed by since Mark left. But each time he began to date someone he just knew he wasn’t ready to be in a new relationship yet. Or ever. He wouldn’t be able to give his complete heart to the person he would be with without thinking about Mark. Mark ing Tu-

“Jinyoung,” Mark deep calming voice cuts Jinyoung from his own thoughts. Snapping his head up Mark was standing in front of him. “Um, Haejung-sshi asked me to hand this to you.” Extending out a white piece of folded paper Jinyoung takes it into his hand watching Mark shift from foot to foot. Like he wanted to say something more but didn’t know how. It was awkward as the two of them stayed quiet. Jinyoung was relieved when Haejung announced they had a minute before the radio show goes back on. On that note, Mark silently turns back around to walk back to his seat across the table from Jinyoung.

Counting the last three seconds with her finger Haejung cues for Jinyoung to greet the audience back. “And we’re back! This is DJ Park from Midnight Kiss Radio and it is currently 23:50 KST. The voting results are in and before I read it, any final thoughts about how the result will turn out Mr. 93?”

Mark gives a shrug before shaking his head. “No.”

“Alright,” Jinyoung says while breathing out. Opening the folded piece of paper with slightly trembling hands.

Please let the result be a ‘no’.

“Dear Mr. 93, 67% of the audience believes you should meet up with your ex.”

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors & I hope you guys enjoyed reading Chapter 02! ((: Let me know what you thought about Jinyoung and Mark meeting once more.