The other side

Imperfect Pack

Kyungsoo is left alone in his room – but he prefers to think of it like a prison-cell instead. His heart still races from his previous encounter with the werewolf, the tall man trying to make advances on him, yet never actually doing anything. Kyungsoo hasn’t given so much as his own name – unable to trust him as he doesn’t know what power the werewolf already holds over him. He learned his name is Jongin, but refuses to call him that. Rather, he refuses to talk to him at all.

Since Jongdae and him were kidnapped at the same time, he knows his friend is here, too, but he hasn’t seen him even once. He heard him cry several times though and Kyungsoo can only clench his hand over his heart every time it happened. It seems to have stopped now, though, and he doesn’t know why. Jongin doesn’t tell him much, only that he’ll be ritually bitten during the full moon – tomorrow.

He approaches the window when he hears people talk – Baekhyun. His heart skips a beat, though he can almost hear what is being said. It’s annoying him more than anything, but they’ll come for him – but that’s not even the first thought on his mind. What’s most important to Kyungsoo, is that he hears his friend, that he is alive.

After a while, he hears Chanyeol’s voice, but since it’s so deep, the only thing Kyungsoo hears, is the anger of his tall friend. It easily sends a chill down his spine, but he can’t leave the window, even though he can’t see anything because everyone is on the other side of the house and Kyungsoo is stuck looking at the forest stretching out at the backside.

The talk doesn’t last very long and Kyungsoo stiffens up when he hears a struggle going on shortly, before he hears the door of the house open. His heart beats in his throat because it’s not difficult to imagine what Jongin can do to him if he just so wishes. But the tall man doesn’t come for him, at least not right away and it only leaves Kyungsoo to be all the more fidgety.

He wants to focus on the voices he still faintly hears outside, but he doesn’t get the chance to do so. As happened a few times before, Kyungsoo hears stifled sobs and he bites his lip. He hates Jongin and everything the man has done, but each time he hears the cries, his heart breaks – and maybe he hates that even more. He hates it when he hears Jongin sob names in his sleep – to then wake up and treat Kyungsoo as a prisoner as if he doesn’t so much as have a heart. He hates it when Jongin goes out in search of his friends, seeking to hurt them – and Kyungsoo never even gets to see Jongdae, while they’re so close to each other. He hopes his friend has gotten away, at least.

When the voices outside have long died down and Kyungsoo is sure his friends have left again – leaving him behind and he doesn’t understand why – the door to his prison-cell opens. The werewolf standing in the door opening has cleaned himself up, washed his face and a smirk graces his plump lips, but Kyungsoo isn’t blind. The rims of his eyes are still red and his eyelids are swollen. Kyungsoo isn’t sure which act to buy at this point.

“Well then, Kyungsoo,” Jongin starts and all the short man’s previous thoughts are gone.

What?” he asks, realizes he seethes and it’s the first thing he says to the werewolf who has been talking to him since the moment he’s here. He shouldn’t know his name. For a split second, that smirk is wiped off Jongin’s face, but before Kyungsoo can fully realize it, it’s back on his face again.

“Your friends don’t hate me as much as you do,” is the only thing Jongin says about it before he continues to the conversation he had in mind. “Your buddy, he’s gone with the others,” he says without so much as a trace of emotion. Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to say – he hoped Jongdae would be able to get out of here but now that he is gone, he feels a little hollow. “Well,” Jongin ponders leisurely, “maybe he hates me as much as you do, but that hardly matters. So Kyungsoo, we need to make some preparations for tomorrow, you do understand that, right?” And Kyungsoo slips up.

“ off,” he says, though he intended to stay quiet. He doesn’t want to talk to anyone who treats him this way and yet, he’s overstepped that line twice already in the past few minutes. There’s something he notices though – it’s hard not to see, because Jongin wears an obvious mask, a mask that crumbles as easily as he pulls it up. The werewolf is affected by his voice and though he isn’t quite sure why, he hates it. At this very moment, there’s little Kyungsoo doesn’t hate. Jongin slips back in his role before speaking up.

“I demand you come with me, I need to show you the area.” In that moment, Kyungsoo decides to drop his own act. He can’t continue not saying anything, even though he never agrees with anything. Maybe this man just needs to learn his place.

“One simple word- no,” he says and Jongin raises a brow at him, fake smile still on his face, but the shiver didn’t go unnoticed by the short man standing before him. Does this mean Kyungsoo is the one who holds the most power here? It confuses him, not in the last place because Jongin is tall – a tall werewolf – but he doesn’t think he can rule the possibility out.

“Oh? You’d rather I bite you right here, right now?” Jongin asks him and it sounds teasing, but so desperate. And the pieces of the puzzle are already slowly falling into place in Kyungsoo’s mind, but he doesn’t want to let the werewolf know he knows exactly what’s going on.

That’s why he passively lets it happen when the man bends down, standing still as if he’s frozen with fear, just like the previous times this happened. Kyungsoo can’t suppress the shiver he still feels when luscious lips rest at the base of his neck, teeth teasing the skin as if he’s about to bite – but Kyungsoo knows he won’t.

Then Kyungsoo decides it’s enough. It’s enough with everything this kid has been doing to him and his friends. So he holds his hands up against the sturdy chest and he feels the werewolf flinch against his skin. Apparently, the sudden action caused Jongin’s canines to grow and he pulls away quickly, seemingly startled and Kyungsoo frowns. He’s not the one who initiates this sick skinship every time.

“Stop what you’re doing,” Kyungsoo says, his voice level and serious and he sees the effect it has on the man in front of him. “I know stuff is up and I would much prefer if you’d talk about it like a dignified… creature. Don’t go around doing this kind of thing to me – or my friends, just to fill that hole in your heart,” he says and he knows he sounds harsh. At this point, he doesn’t care. He doesn’t even want to care that the werewolf breaks down in sobs right before his eyes, so he looks away and bites his lip.

Not long after, Jongin leaves without a word and Kyungsoo is back by himself. Of course he cares – he cared about this man’s cries from the moment he first heard them, but he won’t give in. He meant what he said, after all; there’s no need to go around hunting for a new pack like that when you’re blessed with the ability to turn into someone who can talk.

Another while later, Kyungsoo’s door is opened and a red-eyed Jongin shoves a plate of decent looking food inside before he retreats again. Kyungsoo pretends his heart didn’t just break yet another time. He isn’t heartless, even for someone who has taken him away from his friends, hurt one of them to the point of endless crying, he can’t ignore Jongin’s pain.

When the dark falls, Kyungsoo starts feeling uneasy. He knows there’s a fairly large chance he will get bitten some time tomorrow as he doesn’t have the physical strength to fight Jongin off. He knows he can do much to stop or delay him, but if the werewolf merely wants to ignore his tries, he will go for it and turn Kyungsoo either way.

That’s only one of the reasons why he can’t sleep. Another is the sound of Jongin’s crying. Though the pain in the werewolf’s chest is unknown to him, it’s almost as if he can feel it right now. And there he hears it again, that plea for Kris-hyung to come back, to not leave him behind alone. Kyungsoo doesn’t know whether this person has left him, or has been killed. He wants to say he doesn’t care, but it’s not true.

For now, Kyungsoo gets up from his bed and turns to the window. He hasn’t tried to escape from it before because he was held back by the thought Jongin would come after him, but now, he doesn’t want to let that stop him anymore. With a deep breath and his heart pounding against his ribs, Kyungsoo slides open the window as silently as he possibly can. It’s only when he stepped foot outside that he realizes Jongin has taken proper care of him. He hasn’t been denied food or water, he was allowed to bathe as he pleased– but stop, he has to stop those thoughts. Jongin has kept him as a prisoner, for the sole reason of turning him into a monster and having him join his lonely pack. He has his own pack to take care of, he thinks bitterly while squinting his eyes. Baekhyun can’t be without him – he can’t even be alone in the… in the dark. Horror strikes him because that’s what he sent him out into when it all started and he didn’t even realize. His drunk had been too proud of himself for not losing the games, he had seen Baekhyun drink much, way too much, and he let it happen.

How come he only thinks of this now? How could he have been such a terrible friend? Of course Kyungsoo stumbles because of it, being lost in thought doesn’t help when walking in an unfamiliar area in the dark. At first, it seems alright and he can easily get back up, but the second time, he’s a lot less lucky. What catches him, are not his own two feet, it’s not a tree and it’s not even the ground. It’s the first time Kyungsoo is legitimately scared for his life.

“Where do you think you’re off to, Kyungsoo?”

 

--

I'm so sorry I've been away for a while again ><' I'll stop apologizing though-- I'm sure you've heard enough of it :') If you like the story, please leave me a comment and an upvote! I'd really appreciate it! :3 How do you like seeing things from Soo's perspective? ^^