Full moon

Imperfect Pack

When they arrive at the small row of houses, Baekhyun feels fidgety again. He doesn’t want Chanyeol to be the only one to be able to do anything, but he can’t help it that he’s just a human. Maybe it would have been for the best if he’d allowed Chanyeol to bite him just now in the cabin… but there’s no changing the past and he won’t allow himself to think that they won’t be alright like this. Of course they’ll rescue Kyungsoo, they have to.

“They’re not here,” Chanyeol mentions, startling both Baekhyun and Jongdae from their thoughts. “Their smell is faded.” Baekhyun feels fear grip his heart because if they’re… gone… “Don’t worry, I can still track them,” Chanyeol says, resting his hand on top of Baekhyun’s shoulder and when the short man looks up at him, he knows he means it. Thankfully, he doesn’t just say it to comfort him.

“Which way?” Jongdae asks. Baekhyun notices there’s a fierceness in his eyes that he hasn’t seen before. Chanyeol raises his hand to point behind the houses and Jongdae doesn’t need anything more to stride forward again. Baekhyun follows and feels Chanyeol grab his hand. When he looks up again, Chanyeol has his gaze fixed in the distance and though the fluttering in his stomach comes at the wrong time, Baekhyun can’t deny it.

“Since it’s the full moon tonight,” he starts and Chanyeol looks at him now, “are you in control of your changing now?” Chanyeol smiles before he looks back ahead, giving a more detailed direction to Jongdae because he seemed to have gotten a little off track.

“I think I am,” the tall man answers and squeezes Baekhyun’s hand a little, “I also feel a lot stronger. And my hearing and sense of smell are better,” he adds and Baekhyun frowns a little.

“How do you know for sure?” Chanyeol answers too quickly.

“They’ve gone pretty far away, but I can sense them clearly,” he explains and this time, Jongdae turns around to join in the conversation.

“Do we even still stand a chance?” the short man asks and Baekhyun sees the worry lines on his face, even though he doesn’t seem to be any less determined to get their friend back. Chanyeol uses his other hand to give Jongdae a gentle shove to get back on the move again.

“We do. I think.” Baekhyun frowns at this answer. Chanyeol is supposed to be an alpha – he’s supposed to be strong and decisive. Reliable.

“Of course we do. I suggest we run,” he therefore says, looking up at Chanyeol with a hopeful smile that is returned with an embarrassed chuckle.

“Let’s do that.”

 

They hold small breaks, but overall, they move as fast as they can. Nevertheless, the sky darkening slightly tells them they don’t have much time left. Several times, Chanyeol tells them their scents are getting stronger, but Baekhyun feels himself getting exhausted. Jongdae seems to be in a similar condition and both hope that the search will be over soon. Then, though, Chanyeol suddenly stills and when Baekhyun looks at him, he sees his face is dark with anger – but the way his brows are furrowed, shows confusion as well.

“He’s asking him to bite him,” Chanyeol says, then growls deep in his throat, canines slowly appearing and a shiver runs down Baekhyun’s spine at the pheromones he’s emitting. “As if Kyungsoo’s some lowly omega only living to please some ing beta!” he roars, then starts running again, Baekhyun following him as fast as he can because he knows Chanyeol needs to be stopped. He’ll do something reckless, he can just feel it. “Kyungsoo’s smart, he doesn’t need a beta, yet he’s standing there, begging!”

“Chanyeol calm down,” Jongdae says, surprising Baekhyun, because all Baekhyun tries to do, is reach out for his… his mate – and it’s not working because Chanyeol is fast. Nevertheless, the werewolf doesn’t listen to Jongdae and simply keeps running on forward – until they reach a clearing less than a minute later.

Baekhyun only has a moment to take in all that he sees. The clearing is about fifty square meters and in the middle, a large, flat stone rests in the flickering appearance of the moon’s light. The light is blocked by clouds and because it’s only twilight, it’s not giving off a powerful feel. Nevertheless, Baekhyun knows it is, because on the flat stone lies Kyungsoo. Ready to be bitten and turned, ready to let himself be taken away from his friends. Jongin hovers over the short man, but is distracted and the look on his face shows he’s displeased the group of friends have come all the way here. Maybe even in time to stop him.

Because Chanyeol charges – and so does Jongdae. Baekhyun yells because what the hell is going on all of a sudden? He runs too, tries to grasp for his mate’s shirt, but fails because Chanyeol is faster and left maybe a few seconds before Baekhyun did.

“You’re part of my pack!” Chanyeol roars and a sting of envy slows Baekhyun down further. Why is he being like this? Of course Kyungsoo is supposed to be with them, they’re friends, but … but it sounds so possessive? Vaguely, Baekhyun hears Jongdae’s voice.

“Behave yourself, for ’s sake,” he says loudly, on the verge of panicking because when Baekhyun looks straight ahead, he sees it happening. Jongin’s teeth sink in Kyungsoo’s flesh, a split second before Chanyeol runs into him and pushes him away, hurting Kyungsoo in the process because of the canines still piercing his skin.

Baekhyun’s head pounds. He can barely make out the sounds he’s hearing. Kyungsoo wails in pain, Jongin and Chanyeol are fighting and Jongdae sobs, kneeling next to the other short man. They were too late. Baekhyun hears clothes rip and his eyes snap towards the two fighting werewolves, seeing them change. Chanyeol barely shows any discomfort, he has the upper hand because he’s larger, but Jongin doesn’t back down so quickly.

And then it hits Baekhyun. He doesn’t back down because Kyungsoo might just be his mate – just like what he is to Chanyeol. Chanyeol would fight for him like this, should fight for him like this, but not Kyungsoo. If he heard him ask to be bitten, he should let him go. Like a proper alpha, he should let Kyungsoo make that decision for himself. It’s not like pack members are supposed to stay together – Kyungsoo was unmated after all.

“Will he be alright?” Baekhyun asks when he approaches Jongdae first, crouching down to look at Kyungsoo’s condition. His shoulder is bleeding terribly and he clutches it with his other hand.

“How – how can you be so calm all of a sudden?” Jongdae asks him instead of answering his question, but Baekhyun knows why he doesn’t. Of course he won’t know if Kyungsoo will be alright. “At this rate, everyone’s going to die,” he continues in a small voice and Baekhyun shakes his head shortly.

“Of course not. I’m going to knock sense into Chanyeol right now. I don’t know what’s gotten into him, but this is entirely not right,” he says, but stops when Kyungsoo’s eyes meet his.

“I’m sorry,” he says, voice sounding strained because he’s in pain, but Baekhyun frowns.

“You were held hostage,” Baekhyun retorts, waving off the apology, “and you’re free to make your own choices. Chanyeol had no right to do what he did,” he continues and swallows away the unease he feels at the mere thought of having to confront the alpha about it. His alpha – his mate.

Nevertheless, he runs and he doesn’t let fear get in his way now. Very soon, he approaches the two fighting wolves, seeing both have already been hurt way too much. He feels it in his own chest, constricting and nauseating, because there was no need for this. Kyungsoo asked to be bitten and Jongin complied because he had to.

“Chanyeol,” he calls and sees said wolf stiffen up for just a split second. Jongin doesn’t use this time to charge and because of it, Baekhyun continues. “Chanyeol stop this right now. Kyungsoo isn’t yours to claim – I am. And I’m right here. Kyungsoo made a choice,” he continues and as he does, he approaches the wolf. The animal stands tall, but has to look up at Baekhyun when he gets closer and the small man feels a strange sort of power, calmness. Jongdae had commented on it before and he had already realized it earlier as well – Baekhyun isn’t an omega and Chanyeol might not be the only alpha in their pack. “Chanyeol I’m here,” he says when he gets on his knees, taking the wolf’s face in his hands. He’s wounded and his teeth drip with blood and Baekhyun swallows when he examines his condition. Then, though, he looks him in the eyes.

The look in Chanyeol’s eyes changes quickly. He doesn’t look aggressive and he flickers his eyes downwards for a moment and Baekhyun strangely knows what he means to say with that. Baekhyun won the argument and Chanyeol knows he was wrong. Baekhyun lets go when he notices the body in front of him changing and he sighs, because he doesn’t have to carry this burden alone anymore. Even though he feels that if he would turn, he might be an alpha as well, he doesn’t know if he can lead like that – he likes the comfort Chanyeol brings when he’s in control of himself.

 

When everyone has calmed down and Chanyeol has picked up the pieces of his clothing to cover himself with, they all surround Kyungsoo. Jongin sits furthest away because even though he wouldn’t admit it, Chanyeol scared the living daylights out of him just now. Jongdae has skillfully bandaged up Kyungsoo’s shoulder with remaining pieces of clothing and he’s the one who holds the small man’s hand to soothingly rub circles on his skin.

“Kyungsoo…” Chanyeol starts, hesitant, and the tremble is audible in his voice. It’s unlike him and Baekhyun frowns worriedly, but he won’t say anything. “I’m sorry. I just… I vowed to save you and we were too late. I can’t – I can’t just accept the thought that you’d leave us for him… someone who forcefully took you from us,” he explains and Baekhyun understands. To be fair, everyone understands. Yet, it isn’t right, not in this situation.

“He needs me,” Kyungsoo says, determined, but Baekhyun believes he hears guilt. “Just like you need Baek,” he elaborates in a much softer tone of voice because Chanyeol doesn’t seem to understand. With those words, though, he snaps his eyes to his mate, but he looks away with a frown. “I’ll stay here, with Jongin. He will take care of me.”

 

Chanyeol leaves without a word, shooting a glare at Jongin, but the beta doesn’t do any other than glance at his mate in worry. Jongdae vows to come back for his friend and Baekhyun is torn. He wants to properly say goodbye at least, but it’s dark and his mate is leaving and he has to be there for him – as much as he needs Chanyeol. He’s sure Kyungsoo will understand. After all, he knows of their bond without anyone telling him.

 

--

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the chapter, but here it is anyway ^^' There will be one last chapter after this, which will be more like a sequel / epilogue kind of chapter ^^

Thank you to everyone who subscribed, left me an upvote or comment!! <3 I love you and I appreciate it so much! <3 I hope you can continue letting me know what you think! ^o^