Distracted

Imperfect Pack

A very evident frown is on the man’s face and he seems to hesitate. Baekhyun’s eyes are large in fear and he wishes he has the strength to push the stranger away, but he doesn’t. Nevertheless, the werewolf doesn’t bite him and looks generally confused as well as distracted for a moment. Then, he slides his previous mask back on – that of a confident, smug young man.

“You know, I was going to take my time with you,” he tells Baekhyun, as if there was someone else before him that he didn’t take his time with, “but–” he halts and turns his face slightly, like he’s listening to something.

Something Baekhyun hears faintly too, he realizes. There can’t be any more, he panics, but dreads the answer to that – he knows there is someone else in the cabin as well. He hears the nails of paws on the wooden floors and as much as Baekhyun is afraid, he sees the stranger is as well. He doesn’t intend to show it, though, and Baekhyun is confused by the many faces this man has. He is so glad that the werewolf’s attention isn’t fully on him anymore though – he might live another day.

When the door opens, the werewolf turns around and Baekhyun tries to use the opportunity to fumble around for the window to open it without being noticed. His breath halts in his throat though when through the door, another wolf appears. But this wolf is not in human form – this one is not at all like the one standing before him. Covered in bite-marks, his fur disheveled, but he looks more fierce than anything Baekhyun has ever seen. The werewolf in front of Baekhyun sighs, strangely enough.

“You delayed me enough for this to happen,” he says, turns back to Baekhyun with a look of annoyance, “now I’ve got to deal with him again. Well I guess you could say it’s my own fault,” he mutters when he’s looking back at the wolf who just entered. The wolf who growls lowly, though, a sound that sends shivers through Baekhyun’s body because he doesn’t know whether this one is after him as well.

Baekhyun doesn’t even dare look the wolf in the eyes. He sees how the animal’s ears are flat against his skull and a daring glance at its mouth, tells him he has his lips pulled back, baring teeth. The fear is rising to such an extent that Baekhyun feels how he’s about to faint – he knew he should have eaten something, but there wasn’t any time. He knows he needs to sit down though, before he falls over and hits his head on something that would knock him out for sure.

Slowly, he sinks against the wall, hoping not to attract attention from either of the wolves, but with the advanced hearing of the species, both have their attention on him. When Baekhyun sees the wolf’s eyes, though, his eyes widen once again. Not out of fear, but confusion, because what is this feeling? The same thing he feels when Chanyeol is getting passionate about something; it makes him uncomfortable and nervous, even more than he already is. Because it’s much – way too much – to take in, he lets his head rest between his knees. Once again, he can only hear what’s going on and he soon realizes that these two are the ones that fought outside of his tent as well. Memories of that make one thought prominent in his mind, though he never thought he’d have the courage to say it out loud.

“Please don’t fight again,” he says, effectively breaking the intense glare the two wolves shared, though he doesn’t see it. Baekhyun tries to focus on breathing, hoping he didn’t only make matters worse, and tells himself that being calm is what’s going to help him through this. He hopes. When he feels the dizziness fade slightly, he takes a chance and looks up. Both werewolves, in their differing forms, look at Baekhyun and he feels really weird. As if the danger temporarily faded and he’s not actually about to be killed any longer.

“You just had to say it like that. Next thing you tell me don’t bite me, please,” the man closest to him says, raking a hand through his thick strands of black hair in apparent exasperation. “But I’ll keep my dignity, I’m not letting you say it.”

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun dares to ask and he immediately wishes he didn’t, because he has no idea what the guy is capable of. Yet, he can’t pretend he’s not confused, nor curious. The man shakes his head though, with a smirk Baekhyun can’t quite place. Then, he looks at the wolf who stands near the door, who still seems particularly not pleased with his presence, and walks straight passed him.

“I can’t believe you came all the way out here without knowing the basics. That makes you even more vulnerable than you already are. I’ll come back for you,” the stranger says as a way of ending the conversation.

 

Baekhyun is left with his heart pounding against his ribcage. He knows he was about to be bitten just now. The wolf who’s still in his room might still do the same, Baekhyun doesn’t even dare to move because of it. But something about the wolf has felt strange since the moment they met eyes earlier – familiar, but Baekhyun doesn’t know if what he felt, is even real.

His mind drifts to possibly more important things, though – how is he going to find his friends? Besides that, the werewolf said he doesn’t know the basics, shouldn’t he be doing something about that already? But Baekhyun and his friends already noticed before that the internet connection right here terribly and he doesn’t know of any other way to get information. And he doesn’t want information, he wants his friends.

Baekhyun rests his head on his arms and looks at the wolf, the creature warily looking back at him as well. Although he can by no means be sure of it, Baekhyun feels this one doesn’t mean him harm. He has saved him from getting bitten just now, right?

“What do I do,” he asks himself in a low voice, but the wolf still seems startled as he perks his head up. “Sorry.” Of course Baekhyun isn’t sure whether he should be apologizing to a wolf, but what else can he do? But then, Baekhyun’s temporary worst case scenario happens – the wolf leaves and Baekhyun scrambles to his feet as quickly as he can. “No! Please don’t leave!” he says, voice cracking and he frowns at himself for it. But the animal stops in his tracks to look at him anyway, then he still leaves through the door of Baekhyun’s room.

Panic rises to his head, but he runs out of the room, looks through the hall to see if the wolf has gone outside, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Rather, when Baekhyun turns to the other side, he sees the wolf is right there, in the living room of the small, wooden cabin. Relief washes over him, but as he follows the animal, he isn’t so sure why that is. His belief that the wolf means no harm is based on practically nothing and he has been so stupid the past few days, it wouldn’t be unthinkable that he might get himself killed right here. He told himself before though, staying calm is the key.

The wolf claws at a bookcase and Baekhyun freezes in horror despite his earlier thought. Who is going to pay for things if they get broken once they’re about to go home? He heaves a long sigh, no use thinking of that now and Baekhyun knows it. He has to know why the animal is behaving in such a weird way first, but getting close to it is the last thing he wants. Yet, he just pleaded for it not to go – he does definitely not want to be alone and he should really just have faith in his own judgement already.

A book falls to the ground. The cover shows an edited picture, one half of a wolf’s face and one of a woman’s. The title says ‘Werewolves, a guide’. It makes no sense at all that the wolf knows where to find this, knows to hand it to Baekhyun and the shivers crawl up the man’s spine. He doesn’t know what to do or say, but when he meets eyes with the animal again, there’s something calming in the way he looks at Baekhyun. As if it’s telling him it’s alright, that he shouldn’t worry.

“Thank you,” Baekhyun only says and shuffles closer, shy, strangely. Thankfully, the wolf is sensitive to his emotional state and backs off for the man to read the book. Baekhyun sits in front of the bookcase, hoping with all his heart that nobody will come in and scare the out of him again.

 

Baekhyun learns the werewolf that came for him is a beta. Strangely enough, according to this guide, Baekhyun is regarded an omega by this werewolf – while he isn’t, he’s not even a wolf. He doesn’t know why the man told him what he did, though, because with this knowledge, Baekhyun doesn’t have to fear him anymore. He merely has to ask to be left alone – a beta can’t reject a plea from an omega. Or maybe he said that as a way of deceiving him?

But then, his earlier thought comes back to mind and it has Baekhyun on his toes. How did this wolf right here know where to find this book? He must have been here before – and he does come off as familiar, but Baekhyun can’t be sure. Chanyeol, he thinks hesitantly, but it wouldn’t make sense – he wouldn’t have been bitten, right? He shakes his head, any wolf that’s from around these parts might have been inside this cabin at one time or another. There’s no reason to suspect Chanyeol, right? But honestly, that was the feeling he got when they locked eyes earlier.

Baekhyun’s eyes drift upwards slowly, as to not alert the wolf, but when he looks at the animal, he already looks back at him. The look on his face is soft and there’s a moment Baekhyun remembers Chanyeol looked at him in this exact way, but he frowns at the thought. If Chanyeol had been bitten and turned into a monster, he would revert back to his human form to tell him, right?

Out of nowhere, the wolf growls and barks at Baekhyun and gets closer to him in a manner the short man finds absolutely horrifying.

 

--

A/N; Thank you so much for subscribing! <3 I'm so sorry it took a while, I got caught up in a lot of things, including NCT-- but here's a new chapter c: I kind of lost touch with my writing style though- I feel like I... talk too much :/  (maybe that is my writing style? I don't know at this moment ^^')