Mate

Imperfect Pack

Prepare for fluff haha

--

It’s warm when Baekhyun wakes up. He realizes very soon that it’s because of that arm again – this time to keep him from falling off the couch. It’s not that which makes his eyes shoot open, though, it’s the gentle touch of a calloused hand on his cheek. Instantly, his heart beats quickly in his chest, especially with the fond look Chanyeol has on his face when he looks at him.

“Hey,” he says and Baekhyun would fan his face to rid himself of the blush staining his cheeks, but he doesn’t want to wriggle out of the hold the tall man has on him. He can’t believe this is Chanyeol, the guy he has liked for so long, but tried not to interact with too much because he always finds something to about.

“Hey,” he sputters nevertheless, eyes drifting away from Chanyeol’s to instead rest on his chest. And a well-trained chest that is – Baekhyun gulps involuntarily. They fall into a short silence in which Baekhyun can’t help but just look at what’s right under his nose.

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol suddenly says, drawing Baekhyun’s eyes right back up to his, a confused look on his face. What exactly is he sorry for? Waking him up with gentle touches to his face? Scratching his shoulder yesterday? For that innocent kiss last night? Upon his confusion, Chanyeol elaborates. “The prank I pulled on you, in Kyungsoo’s apartment.” Oh that. Yeah Baekhyun has to admit – with an embarrassing pink color staining his cheeks – that he was scared out of his wits then. Until he was in Chanyeol’s embrace and he had already forgiven him then. He realizes he never even told him that.

“That’s okay, I’ve been over that for a while,” Baekhyun says, a chuckle escaping his lips even though he’s so close to Chanyeol – who has kissed him yesterday. Relief visibly washes over the werewolf’s face.

“Good. Because if that day never happened, I might not have gone after you, you might have been bitten instead,” he says and the way he bites the inside of his lip at the thought, all the while still tracing circles on Baekhyun’s cheek with his thumb, has the short man nearly pass out. He doesn’t  even know why he’s so affected and tries to blame it on the idea that Chanyeol is an alpha now – his alpha.

“I wished it was me instead though,” Baekhyun says in a soft voice, a little embarrassed to let the thoughts out. A wide smile plays on Chanyeol’s lips at the confession though.

“Are you out of your mind? I wouldn’t have wanted to miss out on the way you looked at me – even when you didn’t know it was me. I bet you knew, am I right? You even called me by my name,” he says – teases – and Baekhyun cowers away in the crook of the werewolf’s neck, because there’s nowhere else he can go. Nowhere that doesn’t include getting away from Chanyeol, that is, and he doesn’t want that. It’s only when he realizes he smiles, that he knows he likes the teasing – he probably always liked it. But since he had no idea if Chanyeol had feelings for him, he couldn’t just accept it.

“I hoped it was you,” he replies in a muffled voice, even though he understands perfectly well that it was a rhetorical question and he didn’t have to answer. He takes note of the way Chanyeol shudders from his lips moving against the skin near his scar. “I’ve liked you for a long time,” he adds, out of the blue and shocks himself with his bluntness. To justify it, he adds, “so I thought I recognized the look in your eyes.” To Baekhyun’s surprise, the arm around his waist pulls him closer and he can feel Chanyeol burying his nose in his hair.

“I noticed,” Chanyeol says, sounding light-hearted and still, there’s a teasing edge to his voice. Baekhyun is merely glad he’s back to being himself instead of his serious, almost shy demeanor during the night it all started, with stupid games and too much alcohol. “As a wolf, apparently I’m very sensitive to that kind of thing.” There’s a comfortable silence in which Baekhyun merely revels in the scent of Chanyeol around – against – him and trying his hardest to ignore the embarrassing fact that the werewolf is . Then, though, Chanyeol’s voice rumbles, startling him out of his embarrassment. “Would you… like to be my mate?”

“What?” Baekhyun mumbles, still muffled against the soft tissue of Chanyeol’s neck, close to his own bite mark. He pulls away to look at the taller male with confusion, repeats his question and sees the blush creep up Chanyeol’s neck. Then he realizes what the werewolf just asked him. His eyes widen in shock, surprise.

“No I mean if you don’t want to get bitten I get that,” he says, flustered and from the look in his eyes, Baekhyun is scared that he’ll unintentionally shifts again, even though he’s by far not to that point again. He lays his hands soothingly on Chanyeol’s upper arms – those beautifully strong upper arms.

“Chanyeol don’t panic,” Baekhyun says, trying his very best to not panic himself because of the ridiculous request. So ridiculous even that Baekhyun considers it. Because why would his mind tell him it’s ridiculous in the first place? Didn’t he already feel that connection – didn’t he already refer to Chanyeol as his alpha just now? Doesn’t he already regard Chanyeol as his mate? He chuckles at the thought, feeling silly because he’s not even a wolf, but since Chanyeol seems to steer away from his panic, Baekhyun doesn’t mind at all that he had the strange thought. “It’s okay. I’ll… consider it,” he says, maybe more carefully than he needs to.

Chanyeol slacks in his hold though and relief washes over Baekhyun’s own face. Nevertheless, there are things that bother him still and while he feels satisfied just drawing soothing circles on the soft skin of Chanyeol’s upper arms, he still brings up his troubles.

“But I really don’t want it to be rushed,” Baekhyun says, feeling a blush creep up his cheeks because he’s imagining now and he wants this bite to happen – and he wants it to be a special moment. He read in that book, after all, that it can be a great bonding experience. Chanyeol does nothing to hide the smile on his face, his eyebrows raised as he waits for more because that’s what Baekhyun’s voice suggested. “I don’t want it to happen here in this cabin – Jongdae is mortified enough as is.” To this, Chanyeol nods contemplatively, but he’s taken to tracing circles on Baekhyun’s hipbone now – effectively steering him in the direction of his last concern. “I also don’t know what to think about the fact that I’ll be … every time I–” Baekhyun doesn’t continue when Chanyeol snaps his eyes downwards, to his own body and his eyes are so wide and round, it would almost be hilarious. If Baekhyun didn’t know what happens in Chanyeol’s shock, that is. “No, no, no wait, Chanyeol, calm down,” he says, but it’s too late.

With a grunt and a whine, a troubled expression and a pout, Chanyeol starts turning right back into his wolf form, not giving Baekhyun the time to get away. Large paws gracelessly push him off the couch with force, causing Baekhyun to hit the ground with the loudest of thuds. He winces and stares at Chanyeol, who stares right back at him, guilt easily distinguishable in his large, brown wolf eyes. Baekhyun shakes his head with a smile, is about to tell him that it’s not so bad, but Chanyeol jumps off the couch, nuzzling Baekhyun’s cheek and neck, lapping at his skin with his pink tongue.

It doesn’t take particularly long for Baekhyun to be a laughing mess, trying to push Chanyeol away, but the wolf is much stronger than he is. His violently wagging tail is what eventually makes Baekhyun stop trying and he just gives in to the apparently consoling methods of the werewolf.

“What happened?” Jongdae asks groggily, effectively startling the strange couple on the ground. Jongdae stops in his tracks, swallows visibly and then turns his head, as if he just walked in on a couple heaving . “Guys, is this really the time and place?” he whines and Baekhyun laughs, before they both suddenly get serious and they’re not sure why. Maybe it’s Chanyeol and his pheromones, because the werewolf sits up straight instead of tackling Baekhyun to the ground now.

“We should get ready to get Kyungsoo back. You’re right Jongdae… I’m sorry for the PDA,” Baekhyun says, but Jongdae shrugs it off easily.

“Stop apologizing. Your… little game actually woke me up so I guess I should be thankful for not wasting more time.”

 

Chanyeol seems more in control than he was yesterday, seeing as he’s able to turn back to his human form before they leave to find Kyungsoo again. This time, he found his clothes and almost embarrassedly puts them on. When they step outside, everyone freshly showered and fed well, he creeps closer to Baekhyun.

“Was I every time?” he whispers and Baekhyun can’t help but laugh at the horror audible in his voice. He waits a little while before answering, just to look at his face – all anticipation and hope that Baekhyun can’t turn into reality.

“Yeah. Thankfully nobody really paid attention to that when you were lunging at the other wolf,” Baekhyun says, a grin on his face and Chanyeol looks like he wants to hide, but composes himself. There are a few words on Baekhyun’s tongue that want to roll off – but he doesn’t know if he has the courage. But as he’s contemplating, looking at the tall male beside him, Chanyeol raises his brows in question. Baekhyun flushes red in embarrassment, but can’t keep the words to himself – it’s that alpha thing again, he’s sure. “You’ve got nothing to worry about with that body of yours, though,” he mutters in the smallest voice he can muster – but Chanyeol hears particularly well and it results in another tackle of his body, this time to be cradled in strong arms, though. Baekhyun is so glad Jongdae took the lead this time and isn’t in the slightest aware of the embarrassing situation. His face is peppered with kisses and Baekhyun chuckles, more than just a little happy to have some of the stress dissipate before they’ll confront the other wolf, Jongin, again.

--

 

I'm back again! There are some things holding me back and it's pretty hard to focus, but I've refigured out what I want with this ^^ I hope you liked the fluffy chapter!! Please leave me a comment if you like the story! <3