Pancakes and Strawberry Syrup

Strawberries

It was past two midnight and the moon glistens up without the presence of the stars. Felix thought it might rain again. His back was laid flat on the wall with his breathing starting to pick up its normal pace once again. He was dancing his soul out since eleven and it felt good and painful at the same time. It was one of his ways to forget – forget how he misses home and how he felt lonely sometimes. Saying he is happy to debut is an understatement but it’s times like this his mind gets clouded by too much thoughts that pulls him down. Felix muzzled himself and leaned his head a little stronger to wake his senses up and put away his unwanted thoughts. He quickly stood up and decided to dance one last time before he head back to their dorm. He followed the beat and moved to the music not minding if he did it too hard or too cranky. He let himself drown into the beat and indulge in weariness not noticing that there was someone watching him from the side.

Hyunjin was right when he thought of the dance room as soon as he noticed Felix’s empty bed. He watched the freckled boy sway and bounce to the music but he did not feel amused. Hyunjin, as the boy who notices everything immediately noticed how Felix’s eyes stayed on the ground heavily. And with that he knew something was wrong.

Felix stopped midway when he heard the rain drastically pouring once again. He doesn’t despise rain but he actually does when he fails to bring at least a raincoat or an umbrella with him. 

“I guess you’d have to head home soaking wet tonight.” Hyunjin finally caught the other’s attention. He beamed his usual smile but it doesn’t reach his eyes. Felix jumped slightly in surprise as he met two familiar orbs staring back at him.


“I—I guess you’re right.” Felix shyly smiled as he caressed the back of his head. 


“But maybe we can share?” Hyunjin lifted up his umbrella and tilted his head teasingly. Felix nodded with a genuine smile spreading on his face. Now he doesn’t feel alone.


“Why did you come here?” Felix asked as he picks up his things and slid it in his backpack. “It’s almost three.” He added as he looked at the taller boy who just started to help him arrange his things.


“Maybe I should be the one asking that.” Hyunjin intentionally avoided Felix’s eyes as he waits for Felix’s words.


“Oh—I-- I can’t sleep.” But Hyunjin knew he was lying. Still, he decided not to push further and Felix felt a little grateful for how Hyunjin knew.

“Hey uh-- Wanna watch movies? I have tons piled up on my laptop that I didn’t watch yet. And they are all good. Well, according to Chan hyung.” This was not part of Hyunjin’s plan. Well he doesn’t really have a well laid plan in the first place. All he knows is that he should make Changbin jealous to make him realize Felix’s feelings and that’s all. But this was completely out of the picture. All he wants tonight was to make Felix feel a little bit fine but his heart twists and tensed without him knowing why.                                        

 “But it’s alright if you want to rest. I know it’s—“ Hyunjin suddenly regret what he just said. Who would ask someone to watch movies in 3 am? Hyunjin thought.


“Let’s watch.” 


“It’s okay. I know it’s too late to ask-“


“Hey, I said I’ll go.” Felix chuckled and it sounded still as deep as the thunder.


“Oh.” Hyunjin smiled shyly and his heart felt at ease but the irregularity of its beats remained. 

Felix felt glad to have someone with his side amidst all the tiring life of a newly debut group and he wouldn’t ask for another person other than Hyunjin. Maybe because of being born in the same year that the taller boy could understand him a little bit more than the others, he told himself and shrugged. But suddenly, the thought of Changbin popped up on his weary mind. He remembered how they used to be inseparable as a duo but never as something what he have with Hyunjin. Though there is a part in him that wished it to be like that, he was glad that it wasn’t for he knew it will be harder for him to shed his feelings away. There are many things that he liked about Changbin, Felix thought, but he knew it would never reach him no matter how he tries to twist the world and he accepted that a long time ago since the day he knew he had feelings for the other. In fact, the thought of Changbin merely come to him these days. And he just hopes that one day, it will completely vanish away.

 

--

Hyunjin is not a morning person especially when he slept at five and it’s only eight in the morning. Knowing that he is the hardest member to wake up, Chan gave up and stormed out of the room, but Hyunjin didn’t even make a stir on his bed.

“Hey mate, can you wake Hyunjin up? Felix nodded as he pulled a quick stretch. A soundly sleeping Hyunjin welcomed him as soon as he got into the room.


“Hey, wake up.” He sat into the corner of the bed and give Hyunjin gentle pats. “Hey, you should pack your things.” Felix yawned but still tried to shake the sleeping Hyunjin. With no response, he decided to come closer and shook Hyunjin vigorously out of sleep. “Hey hey hey hey hey wake up. Hey hey he—“ Hyunjin clicked his tongue irritably and pulled Felix closer that led the freckled boy to fall beside him.

“Hey! What are you doing? Stand up young man!”

“I’m sleepy.” He moved closer to Felix and captured him in a tight embrace, pulling the freckled boy closer to him as well. It was too close that Felix’s eyes were only two inches away from Hyunjin’s lips but Hyunjin’s eyes remained shut.

“Ya! Wake up. I’m not your girlfriend. I’m Felix Lee stop hugging me.” Felix managed to wriggle after a couple of seconds to escape from Hyunjin but unluckily, the other’s arms were stronger.

“Just a little bit more.’’ Now, Hyunjin could not hide the smile on his face even with his eyes closed. Luckily, Felix couldn’t see it.

“Wake--“ Hyunjin cut the boy off and lowered himself, leveling their faces together which left Felix struck once again. He tried to collect his breath and reminded himself to be used to the most tactile person he had ever knew for the nth time.

“Five more minutes.” He then burried his face on Felix’s neck and continued his disturbed sleep.

Felix sighed in defeat and let the other sleep a little bit longer. “Your lips look like strawberries.” He then rolled his eyes and tried to calm his rowdy, messy heartbeats. And with that, they dozed off to dreamland with Felix forgetting about an angry Chan and about the pancakes he made for breakfast – pancakes he made for Hyunjin.

And then there was Changbin, still standing in front of the door who was about to knock but decided not to. Instead, he closed the door shut and lifted his fingers to his lips and motioned Chan to shush. Chan, in the end, just sighed in defeat and groaned in frustration as he looked at Changbin who chose to walk away with a soft smile on his lips.