Bon Appetit

They’re Like Ocean Waves

 

Mingyu’s P.O.V.
Man, I’m starving. My music theory exams were right around the corner and I had a feeling that my G.P.A. was only going downhill from here. I checked my watch, seeing that it had already been 3 hours since I’ve started studying at the school library. The sad thing was that I barely got through a chapter of my crash course book. Music has always been something I could never describe in pen and paper. It was an instant feeling that made you in sync with your instrument and voice. Having a class just on the science behind it just didn’t make sense to me. 
My stomach rumbled, begging for some sort of fuel. I gathered my books and headed toward the snack machine, but then realizing that I forgot to bring cash with me. I guess I’ll have to go to HQ to whip up something to eat before I take the bus home. I ran straight to the activities building, before my stomach rumbles would start an earthquake on campus.
 That’s weird? The door to the music club was slightly opened instead of being locked, with the lights all on. I walked on in and saw Jenn sitting on the kitchen table, sipping her drink contently. She seemed a bit flustered and pink, almost as if she was having a fever. 

An Hour Earlier ~ Jenn’s P.O.V.

“Oh no I’m not having an allergic reaction don’t worry,” Wonwoo chuckled a bit nervously. “I haven’t really had the chance to eat anything in between classes so I guess this cookie gave me the blood sugar I needed,” he smiled, scrunching his nose. 
There was something about being around this guy that was almost relatable, if that made sense. My awkward social skills melted a way a bit, and I felt comfortable.“That’s a relief. With everything that's happened lately, I just want to be sure I don’t cause anymore trouble to anyone.” 
“Don’t worry, meeting you despite it all has been the highlight of my transfer to Ocea- wait let me rephrase that… I mean you were kinda like my first familiar face I made here so... Sorry if that sounds weird, I think the cold is getting to me.”
“Its okay, I know what you mean! Believe me I get like that too,” I laughed. “You’ve helped me out in some crazy situations so I’m glad I met you too. Life’s been a bit dull since I started Oceania but it seems like things are getting a bit brighter I guess.” I almost didn’t recognize myself, if only Grace could see this.
“That’s a relief,” he said just as I said earlier. For probably about 5 seconds, we both paused and looked at eachother realizing our humorously mutual concern we just had for each other. Then we burst out laughing at the same time. It was one of those moments you saw in the movies, where everytime we attempted to say something, we wouldn’t be able to word it because of how hard we were laughing. 
“Jenn, I think this is a start to a new friendship,” he chuckled. “You remind me of an old friend I had, who was probably the only person who could make me genuinely laugh, in a good way of course,” he said warmly. 
“Oh, tell me more abo-”
    Suddenly, Wonwoo's phone rang before I could finish my sentence. His gentle smile turned almost frozen in an instance as he looked at the caller ID. 
    “Dang it,” he said under his breath. “Jenn, I’m so sorry but something came up. But, anytime you want to hang or talk let me know at the music club.” He said grabbing his jacket quickly.
        Just before he turned toward the door, he did something out of the blue. He came up to me and my patted my shoulder saying, “Don’t worry Jenn, I know how you feel. Life can be a bit dull but let’s make this semester the best one yet.” 
        Then he left.

—————————————————————————

    I was contemplating what just happened between me an Wonwoo for almost a solid hour. My emotions were going all over the place, with me replaying that moment over and over. How was I so easy going, how did my shell  break on its own? Okay don’t get me wrong, Wonwoo is pretty handsome, but none of the butterflies I had were romantic. It was the kind of feeling you get when something’s been lifted from your shoulders that was weighing you down. 
      Maybe I'm just overthinking and I’m getting too desperate for a friend. 
       Ever since my breakdown, I wasn’t able to be myself in front of anyone but my mom and Grace. As much as I wanted to be friends with those around me, it was as if my anxiety took my goofy and fun personality and make me seem dull and shy. I hated myself for it and wondered why I was this way. At some point, I decided to make the most of it and ignore it. Today, I didn’t have to.
______________________________________________
    
 Mingyu’s P.O.V. (An Hour Later)

“Jenn?” I said trying to get her out of her daydream. 
She looked up at me in surprise and I guess came back to reality. I really hope she isn’t getting sick, it seems like something is going around. 
       “Are you okay? You seem like you have a fever, you look a bit red,” I said in concern.
    She immediately checked her forehead with a confused look. 
       “Oh no I’m fine, I just had some hot tea so it’s warming me up I guess,” she laughed. 
       Suddenly a loud rumbling noise came from my stomach. Right, I came here to whip up a snack.. 
       “I actually came to make some dinner before I go to my night job, do you wanna split something?” 
        Just before she was going to say no, her stomach rumbled too. 
       I grinned in amusement, “I guess I’m making dinner for two. What do you like? ” 
       “What ever you make will be great I’m sure so whatever you’re in the mood for,” she said trying not to be a bother. 
     “Pasta it is then!” I said with an anticipating smile. Hm, what's the most allergy aware pasta recipe I could make? “Are you cool with basil pesto being in the pasta?” 
     She gave me a surprised look as if I read her mind. “Pesto is my absolute favorite! That's so funny, I've been craving it for a while.” 
     “People say that I'm good at guessing people’s expressions. Your’s just screamed basil pasta!” I joked. 


       After much improvising, since Jae hasn't restocked the fridge in a while, the pasta dish was finally finished. This is probably the first time I cooked for someone outside my family and the music club, so Jenn’s reaction would be a true test to my cooking skills. I placed the well garnished bowl of pasta in front of Jenn saying an ever so elegant, “voila!” 
      I motioned for her to try it first, waiting in anticipation. She took a bite and then stopped chewing. 
     “It's… okay. Not the best I’ve tried,” she said monotonously. 
      I waited a few seconds to react, seeing if she was just joking. 
     After that timed passed, I started to laugh, with a hint of awkwardness, since I knew I no longer lived up to my reputation.

Jenn’s POV

     Note to self: I WILL NEVER TRY SARCASM EVER AGAIN. What I thought would lighten the mood only filled the kitchen with awkwardness. Jenn, get yourself together, the damage is done. Say something, anything! 
    “Sorry, I was trying to be funny,” I laughed awkwardly with him. 
     Mingyu ruffled my hair, saying, “ You’re too funny Jenn, it's cute.” 
    Before, a touch from anyone would make me itch. Now, I felt almost comfortable with interaction. No alarms in my head telling me to back away, just a fuzzy feeling inside telling me he’s genuine.
     
     An hour flew by as we ate his delicious pasta and shared old back stories about our clumsy childhoods, where mingyu confesses his ever so terrible fear of snakes while I mentioned my awful fear of storms. 
    My phone buzzed from a text and I was surprised that it was already twelve. Unlike any other parent of a young adult, my mom must've thought that I finally found a social life, and you could tell by her text.
    “Hope you’re enjoying your evening out! Let me know if anything exciting happens :)”
    I wondered if there were still any buses running, ‘cause I was not going to spend the evening sitting on a chair in the music room. 
    “I know it’s getting late Jenn, I actually have to head to my part-timer so do you want me to drop you off since you’re on the way?” He said as he gathered the devoured plates to clean up.
    “Oh if it’s not too far for you, I’m down on Rochester Ave.” Wow, a part time job at nearly midnight! I don’t know what caffeine he’s drinking for him to have enough energy to work. 
    “No way, I’m actually across from there on Westfield St. I guess we’re neighbors then.” He said with a giddy smile. 

    So Mingyu drove down the winding hills of Oceana, bragging about his indie playlist that took him months to compile. With tired eyes and a big smile, he dropped me off at my house, telling me to sleep well although he would be up for the rest of the evening. I didn’t feel the need to ask him about his personal business, we all have baggage in our lives. When I got home, I plopped onto my bed, feeling tired but content. 
    I can only imagine how tired he must feel.