Thank You

They’re Like Ocean Waves

Jenn’s P.O.V.

I opened my yellow and brown rilakkuma container lid to make sure the six cookies that I had packed were still warm and weren’t completely destroyed. I smiled at the fact that they were alright and nothing had happened to them. I hope he likes them. I secured the lid back on to the container. I really do hope that Grace is right, she comes to the apartment sometimes to do my therapy session there. It’s a ‘hands on’ type of session to de-stress. I began to tell her how I had an allergic reaction a few days ago.

“The nurses were making a fuss about two handsome guys. That one handsome guy brought me to the nurse and the other one waited for me in the waiting area.I had no idea who they were talking about.” I told Grace while I took some of the main ingredients out of the pantry.

“Wow, Jenn, that sounds so surreal.” Grace smiled and amused with the anecdote.

“Yeah...and guess what..the handsome guy who was waiting for me in the waiting room was Dream boy, Mingyu…” I then proceeded to tell her how he showed me around the music headquarters, asked for my number and apologized for his cookie giving me an allergic reaction. Later that night, he sent me the pdf of the music club times and I only texted back “thank you.”

“Oh! Jenn! That is so cute! And what about the other handsome guy?” Grace walked over to the oven to preheat it.

“Oh, yeah..he’s handsome as well. I found out who it was, its Wonwoo. I haven’t seen him anywhere..I wanted to thank him for basically saving me.”

“Ooh, isn’t he the one you bumped into the other time?” Grace chuckled as I nodded my head, “You know what, let's make these cookies for Wonwoo. A simple ‘thank you’ is boring. Maybe that way a friendship can be formed. You know that IS your mission.”

I actually really liked her suggestion because he technically saved me from dying (well I’m semi-exaggerating) but it's nice to know that he seems reliable. “Okay then! Let’s try to make these as allergy free as possible because you never know.” We both giggled.

 

I absolutely hope that I can find him today. I aimlessly walked through the hallways wishing to find him. Maybe I should head over to the music club headquarters, even though they don’t meet today but didn’t Mingyu say that we could hang there whenever...I’m pretty sure. I’ll just go.

 

I’m around the Music H.Q. and there was someone just standing in front of the door. Isn’t he a bit cold? It’s pretty chilly outside. He was still standing there as I approached the door. I decided to look at the guy as I stood next to him, he seemed lost it in thought.

No way, its..Wonwoo

He was just staring at the door.. “Wonwoo, are you okay?” He suddenly looked down at me..literally; he’s just so tall. Then he glanced at the door in front of him. “How did..I get here…” I heard him mutter under his breath. I chuckled hearing him talk to himself. “Uhm..” I began. I have to give him these cookies before an interruption happens. “Wonwoo..”

Wonwoo snapped out of being confused and attentively looked at me. “Yeah?” Okay Jenn, don’t be nervous, don’t let your anxiety kick in. Everything is okay. “Uh..Thank you for taking me to the nurse..and this is for you.” I kind of shoved the container in front of his face and avoided his eye contact meanwhile.

 

Wonwoo’s P.O.V.

 

Did she just thank me for something that I was supposed to do? All I see was a cute container underneath my nose. I took a glimpse at her, and poor thing was just looking at the ground. I let out a small laugh because I didn't know how to react, especially when somebody is genuinely thanking me.

I was never really thanked for the things I did, mostly because Eunha’s parents were paying for my expenses. Obviously, I also did not feel the need for them to thank me, I was just doing my duty. Well, I did grow up in an environment where people did not thank others, it was just a given that you were supposed to do it. For example, I would pick up a pen somebody dropped and all they would say is, “Oh.” and continue on with their life. Eunha never really thanked me either. She would just smile at me and I would be content with that. Wow, I was young and foolish.

“It was no problem, Jenn...is that container for me?” She suddenly looked up at me, relieved. She nodded her head while the container was still in front of my face. I gently grabbed the container from her hands. It felt warm..I wondered what was inside. “Can I open it?”

She aggressively nodded her head. I smiled at her reaction. Ah, cute. I carefully opened the container. A sweet,soft and sugary smell prevailed into the air. The smell didn't remind me of anything which made me glad. It's a beginning to a new memory.

“Ooh...cookies?” A big smile formed on my face. This honestly felt weird…I never had anyone do this to me.

She nodded her head saying, “Mhm. They’re allergy-free sugar cookies..you know…”

“Just in case, right?” I chuckled. “They look and smell delicious.” I sincerely said.

“Yes!” Jenn enthusiastically semi-exclaimed.Her almond shaped eyes became smaller as shaped into an honest and cheerful smile. Her whole expression was shining.

At that moment, I felt blood rush to my cheeks; a sense of embarrassment came upon me.

 

Jenn’s P.O.V.

 

Wonwoo suddenly looked away and cleared his throat. He continued, “Do you want to hang around the music room? They have coffee and tea there so we can warm ourselves up and I’ll taste your allergy free cookie..if you can..” He avoided my eye contact. Did Grace’s suggestion worked?

“Uhm..Yeah. I have time!” I grinned at him. I actually am craving something warm to drink. He glanced right back at me appearing to have a relieved look on his face, “Awesome, let’s go.” He opened the door the for me.


 

We entered the main music room where the music club gather. Basically the room Mingyu showed me last time. We both unloaded our backpacks and took off our jackets. Wonwoo placed the container of cookies on top of small table that was around.“It’s nice and warm here..” I muttered, trying not to be awkward. I’m happy, first time in my college experience I get to hang with another student other than the nurses. “Yeah, winter is around the corner.” Wonwoo responded to my surprise because people usually don’t hear what I say most of the time.

“Jenn, what would you like, coffee or tea?” Wonwoo asked before opening a door that was near the small stage with a wooden podium.

“Hmm. I would like some tea..” I awkwardly answered as I stood by the grand piano.

“What type of tea? They have hibiscus, peach, blueberry and green tea.” Wonwoo said it as if he had it memorized.

“Oh..uhm..” Just choose, Jenn. Don’t be indecisive, or else he will get tired of you. “A hibiscus, please. Thank you!” I smiled at him. He stopped looking at me and replied, “Okay..be right back.” I assume that there was small kitchen in there...I quietly walked my way to the door because Wonwoo had left it open. I peeked inside, and yes it's a well equipped kitchen. Wonwoo opened one of the cabinet doors and grabbed the packet of hibiscus tea. I didn’t want to seem creepy so I backed away and immediately my eyes spotted the cello. Not again. I walked towards the cello..unconsciously. Should..or should I not? Face my fear? My fingers gently touched the cello’s strings. I miss playing it but..but..I hate it. But..I love it.

Unconsciously, my whole body was seated behind the cello and my arm gracefully grabbed the bow. It’s been a long time. I closed my eyes and it began. The melody, the soft melody that I haven’t heard in awhile. This song..was the song I played over and over again, to relieve my stress. I always felt content afterwards. Melody is soft but dramatic all at the same time. A sense of hope, a sense of sorrow and a sense of mystery all in one song. Okay steady beat..moderato than a bit of allegro...a bit of diminuendo.

Continue playing. Don’t stop to think, you’ve gotten this far, Jenn. Don’t get mad, it's not the cello’s fault. My mind tried to stay focused. But..but his smile..his disgusting smile appeared. Just keep on playing. “Good job, Jenn.”I heard that disgusting voice in my head. Keep going. He’s gone. He’s not here. I felt my arm that's holding the bow begin to shake, stop it. The frustrated bangs on the bathroom door, I heard my mom crying from the other side. She begged and begged, “Don’t do it. Please. We love you.” I couldn’t,I just couldn’t do it. I was afraid. Stop, stop, please stop thinking. Please.

 

Wonwoo’s P.O.V.

 

I had just finished pouring the hibiscus tea into two mugs, when I heard a noise. Is that the sound of a cello? I left the mugs on the kitchen counter and came into the music room.

Jenn was playing the cello. She had her eyes closed, her movements were passionate,and her delicacy in playing the cello had me in awe. Ah, she’s playing Merry-go round in Life, the Howl’s Moving Castle Theme. It sounded a bit rusty,her body position was a bit off and the flexibility of her wrist was lacking but how could she play so beautifully? Her legatos and glissandos were amazingly done. She has great technique,I am truly amazed.

All of the sudden, I observed that her arm was shaking, which was making her lose control of her bow. Is..she okay?

She began to skip some notes. But..it still sounded..right. She was so close in finishing but suddenly she dropped the bow. Tears steadily rolled down her cheeks, I don’t know if I should just stand here..or comfort her. She opened her eyes and we made sudden eye contact. Jenn’s facial expression froze. I cleared my throat.

“That was amazing, Jenn.” I walked towards her.

“I’m..sorry.” She muttered having a blank expression.

“No don’t be. That was exceptional. One of the best performances I’ve seen.” I was being 100% honest. Her cello playing was way different than Eunha’s, it had a different feel. Actually, this mini performance had feelings which made it come alive.

“Please ignore these tears, I don't know why..” She smiled and chuckled through her obvious pain. I reached in my pants pocket for my polka dotted handkerchief.

“Here, you can keep this.” I smiled at her in hopes in making her feel comfortable.

“Are you sure..?” She grabbed my handkerchief and slowly wiped her tears.

“Of course. Also that reminds me…” I walked towards my backpack and ped the front pocket. I grabbed the zip lock bag that was inside of the front pocket. “Is this yours?” The sunflower pin that I had found on the floor is in the zip lock bag. Her eyes brightened.

“Yeah..that is. I thought I lost it!” Her tears had stopped and she seemed a bit more content now. I walked back to her and handed it to her.

“I found it on the floor, but doon't worry I disinfected it.” I reassured her. Her bright smile reappeared and looked straight to my eyes.

“Thank you, Wonwoo.” She said in a calm and pleasing tone.

This embarrassment. Why?

“Uhm..let me bring the teas and eat the cookies.” I immediately turned around. Keep your cool, Wonwoo.

 

I brought the two mugs and placed them on the table where the cookies were. Jenn was already seated around the small table. I sat across from her. Her eyes were filled with anticipation.

“I’ll try the cookie first...” I opened the container and grabbed the sugar cookie. She kept on looking at me with such eagerness. I took a bite of the cookie. Wow, the flavors exploded in my mouth. It was rich and moist. Probably even better than the peanut butter cookies. She was still looking at me and she suddenly said worried, “Are you having an allergic reaction? You’re red, Wonwoo.”

Allergic reaction? Silly.

I'm blushing.

 

 

A/N: keep your cool Wonwoo