Drool, Mascara, and a Tarantula

They’re Like Ocean Waves

Mingyu’s POV

 

Tick Tock. Tick Tock.

 

Every second, minute, and hour just fly by so quickly. Midway through the second month of the semester and I’m already tired. Work has been exhausting these days as well. I have about 20 minutes until my other class starts. I adjust myself on the padded chairs of the library. Surprisingly, the chairs from the library are quite comfortable.

I unlocked my phone and changed the song from my playlist. My eyes began to close, little by little.

But for some reason, something caught my attention. Perhaps, some girl was going to approach me? She began to walk towards me and her eyes were directed towards me.Naturally, my eyes stare back. Hm, from her body language you can tell she's tired as well. Is she going to ask me to move from my chair? I was going to dismiss my attention and fall right back to sleep but she’s really cute the more I stare...as she got close to me she put her head down. Did I stare for too long? She passed by me to go the bathroom. Well,that was interesting. Most interesting thing that has happened since the semester has started. I’ve been too focused on school, work and taking care of my little sister that girls haven't been my priority ever since my parents divorced.

Should I have said something? Should I have smiled? There's so many possibilities that could have happened.

Her aura was pure innocence. I have an urge of wanting to protect her. That's just probably my older brother instincts. I wonder how it would be like to date her. Or..maybe she has a boyfriend? No, Mingyu stay focused.

I close my eyes once again until it was time to go to my class.

 

Jenn’s POV

 

Woah that guy is cute. Not like the casual semi-attractive guy you pass by the mall kind of cute. More like the six foot two, tall dark and handsome guy you'd find in a magazine kind of cute. Is that drool on his face? How relatable.

Suddenly I realized that I’ve probably been staring at this random dude for a solid 30 seconds. That's totally not awkward. Acting like nothing, I say out loud, “Oh right, the bathroom.” Smooth Jenn, smooth. As I resume my walk to the ladies room, I take one last glance at this dreamy stranger. There goes my ability to walk because he’s also glancing at me.

Is this what it's like to go into cardiac arrest? Before I have to grab the defibrillator down the hallway, I blast out of the room ever so effortlessly (haha not). I might almost be twenty, but I have the heart of a hopeless romantic teen.

After I take a moment to shake off the butterflies, I arrive at where I needed to go in the first place, the restroom. Like dream boy, this day was tiring me out. Usually if you have a passion for your major, you’d find the subject to be interesting and maybe even entertaining. My classes of the day were as entertaining as 4 o’clock traffic. Slow and never ending.

I splash some cold water on my face and give myself a pep talk. Remember you need that diploma Jenn, you're too far in to drop out.

The movies always depicted college to be a time of freedom, fun, and the spark of your youth. Yet, my time here has been anything but that. I wake up, commute to campus, go to my classes, and then head back home. It’s the circle of boringness (if that’s even a word). Seeing drooly dream boy was probably the most interesting event of this semester.

I take a deep breath and walk out of the restroom, giving myself a little spring in my step to boost my low energy levels. Why are my eyes feeling tingly? I shrug it off, it’s probably allergies.

 

Wonwoo's POV.

 

Wow, this school is pretty cool. For the first time in my life, I have no more undue stress, pressure, and most of all competition.

I'm not bragging but honestly, learning has always come easy for me. My parents and teachers noticed this too when I was little, and gave me an IQ test that changed my life for the worst. From then on, people identified me as a number, and worst of all a trophy to my family. So from as long as I remember, I’ve been put into the snobby, corrupted, and ever so threatening school of the elite. But that’s a story for another time.

I take a deep breath and realize that this is the start of my new journey. Oceania University will be my new home, where I will be doing things the Wonwoo way, not anyone else’s.

I walk down the hallway, with one headphone bud in my ear, taking it easy. All of a sudden, maybe the most petite girl I've ever seen walks straight into me with quite a bit of force. Ouch.

It takes her a second to realize what happened, her face looks horrified with embarrassment. And when I mean horrified, I’m not only talking about her expression. What I think is mascara drips down her eyes, making her look like a tiny panda.

“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry! It’s been a rough day and I don’t know where my head i-” I can't hold my laughter any longer. I cover my mouth, avoiding to be rude, and let out a chuckle.

“Don’t be sorry it's okay!” I giggled. I grabbed a tissue packet from my backpack and handed it to her. “You also have a little something under your eye if you wanted to wipe it off. “

Her cheeks almost illuminated in pink.

Jenn's POV.

 

NO. WAY. THIS. WAS. HAPPENING.

The one day I decide to put on mascara is the day I splash my face with water, while meeting a nice new face in school. No wonder my mom always told me I would never have common sense.

I took the tissue packet in embarrassment and blushed as if I were a ripe tomato. The awkwardness was real.

“Um, thank you. I think I should go and fix this up,” I chuckle trying shake off my shame.

“My name is Wonwoo by the way. I guess this might not be the best time to introduce myself but I’ll probably see you around?” he asked sweetly.

His smile was absolutely adorable. You would think at first glance that he had a stiff and cold demeanor, but once you saw that smile, it melted that all away.

“Yes definitely!” I say as I make a few steps backward, knowing I have to get rid of the monstrous black circles around my eyes. This proves that there are still some genuinely nice guys out there.

This Wonwoo guy’s looks we’re actually quite charming. His dark brown hair had that relaxed look, swept down. He had a pretty slim frame but was super tall, in comparison to little five foot tall me. I hope what he says does happen, that I’ll, “see him around.”

After I fix myself (YET AGAIN), I head back to the library and find my seat, trying to avoid anyone’s attention.

Minutes pass and my phone buzzes, my reminder letting me know that my next class starts in 10 minutes. I gather my books and head to the arts building, slightly hoping I see that Wonwoo guy again. Other than my friend Lisa who goes to the university far away from here, I don’t really have that many close friends. It’s definitely out of my comfort zone but I think I can try to re-introduce myself to him again. I keep an eye on everyone that passes me in the hallways. I even take the long way to the lecture hall just in case we might run into each other again. No Wonwoo in sight.

“Mingyu you jerk!” I heard a girl screech. The girl came running in my direction quicker than my brain could process. I moved out of the way letting her escape from the horror that befell her, and I could understand why. A huge tarantula was on top of her head, probably from the lab, and was holding on to her hair for dear life. A familiar tall and tan figure chases after her I assume to help her get it off. Is that dream boy?

“Raina, let me help you!” He yells. He slows down his pace, stopping a few feet behind me and holds his head in shame. “Who knew a little prank would go this far.” He says in disappointment. That’s pretty messed up.

“Is your friend okay?” I say sincerely. If I were her, I would smack the good looks off of his face.

His frown could have resembled a puppy’s, it was so pure and disappointed. “We’re part of the music club and the seniors decided to pull a little prank on her. They’re such jerks.” He looked downright ticked off. “But anyway, if you’re interested, we definitely need to kick out a few members and replace them with some new faces if you’d like to join. From the look of your earrings, you seem to be a music enthusiast too.”

It was true, both that I was wearing my music note earrings and that I’m a music geek. Before I could tell him he was right, he had to run back to his friend, saying, “Sorry I gotta go, but see you in music club I guess!”

At that moment, I realized the spark of my youth might have just been lit.

 

Raina’s POV.

 

I let out a small sigh as I looked up to the sky while I sat on the bench outside. My arms are feeling sore from the workout I did last night. Yes, it was arm day. My eyes gazed at the fluffy clouds. Suddenly, a cold bottle touched my forehead.

“What are you doing?!” I’m still paranoid from what happened an hour ago. Damn. That tarantula.

“Here is my apology.” It was Mingyu. He sat down beside me and offered the cold orange juice to me. My eyes squint. “Hey, don’t look at me like that.” His face seemed apologetic. I know, I can’t stay mad at him. It's too hard. I took the orange juice from him.

I opened the bottle of orange juice and took a sip from it. “You knew that one of the only things I’m scared of are tarantulas. Then why?!”

“Raina, I didn’t know it was going to be a tarantula..I swore I would have stopped them. I’ll buy you food,anything.” He semi-begged. A smirk appeared on my small face.

“Today is leg day so you know what that means.”

He let out a small smile. His face always glowed when he smiled. I felt my heart skipped a beat. Immediately, I looked at the orange juice. Why, why am I feeling like this...again.

“Are you still up for running this weekend?” He asked me while he looked at his schedule on his phone. Of course I am dummy. Always. We have always gone running together since high school, no ever since we were just kids. I would always win whenever we competed against each other..but that was for fun. I was more the athletic type, well I still am. He tried to be, but now he's just a runner and an occasional tennis player.

“Yeah, why?” I took another sip from the orange juice.

“You know, this semester started. Just thought you would be busy with homework or an upcoming test.” He looked at me with that pure face.

“Oh, you know exercise is important to me. I love running. Nobody can’t take that away from me.” I playfully punched his arm.

"Wow you have gotten those gains, Raina.” Mingyu poked my arm. A feeling of some type of satisfaction rose in me.He noticed.

“Whose idea was it to pull a prank on me? So with these “gains” you said I have, I’ll beat them up.” I finished drinking the bottle of orange juice.

“One of the seniors…” Mingyu looked at his phone again.

“Don’t tell me it was the one that I rejected?! I thought there were no hard feelings..geez.” I threw the empty bottle of orange juice into the recycling bin from where I was seated. “Score.”

Mingyu chuckled. “Don’t worry about it. They all like you in the club. Really, they all say great things about you. You’re very sociable and outgoing, that's why they thought it was okay to pick on you. Don’t take it to heart.”

“Ahaha, you’re right. I won’t.” It's true, I am a very outgoing person and it's really easy for me to make friends. It's weird, no matter how many friends I make, I still stick beside Mingyu.

“I’m excited for the fundraising next week. I get to bake my famous cookies.” Awe yes, Mingyu loves to bake and cook in general. He is always making me try the weird food combinations he makes in the kitchen. Maybe that's one of the reasons I stick beside him?

“Oh right, that’s next week. We need the money to tune the piano right?”

“Yup.” He nodded his head with a smile on his face. We both stood up from the bench. “Just tell me when you’re done with your leg workout and I’ll pick you up so we can go eat.”

“Definitely.” I grinned and we parted ways. I just like being by his side.

 
 
*
A/N: Hi! I really hoped you liked the first chapter! Savannah and I are excited for this fanfic~~ haha. We all love a man who can cook ammma I right? ;D would love to hear your thoughts!