Chapter Two

13 Letters (Only One You)

"Oh, you've started reading them then?" Seongyeon asked you the next day, you searched for the letter labeled 12. "Has it helped you so far?"

You paused your search, thinking about Chan's letter and your dream last night. "I think it's too early to say. This letter claims me to be a lot of things... What if I'm not any of those things anymore? And then he mentioned people and incidents... How do I know if I should trust what he's saying, I can't even trust myself to remember--"

"Hey," Seongyeon rushed to your side immediately. You haven't even noticed it, but tears had started pooling in your eyes. The frustration and pain from the past few days had already caught up with you.

"First of all, don't get too worked up in this. You'd pop a couple of brain nerves in there," Seongyeon poked your head lightly, which made you laugh unevenly.

"Secondly, Chan, Seungcheol, and all of those guys are good people. From the couple of times that I've spent with them, I could tell that much." Seongyeon grasped your hand gently. "They would never do anything to hurt or confuse you."

"And finally... So what if you turn out to be none of those things? I'd love you regardless. And it's not like he made you out to be an evil person in his letter... Did he?"

Seongyeon looked so alarmed for a second that you laughed even more.

"No," you reassured her. "It's just that... I sound so nice and cheerful in his letter."

"And you're not?" Seongyeon smiled and patted you gently on the head. "Stop stressing about this. You'll get me in trouble. Try to sleep."

"But I was going to read this," you pouted, holding up the letter you found.

"Okay. Read that, then sleep," Seongyeon gave up and headed out of your room. "I have to go check on someone...."

You wondered who she should be checking up on, but shrugged instead, focusing your attention back on the letter.

°   °   °   °   °

°   °   °   °

°   °   °

°   °

°

 

Seongri-noona!!!

It's me, Vernon!! How are you today? Are you any better? I hope you are. You better be 🙁 It's only been a couple of days since the accident and we all miss you already. It's like a bright sunshine has been taken away in our lives~~

Seungcheol-hyung keeps asking questions about you to the nurses that check on him, and you should see how sad he becomes when he hears you haven't woken up yet. All of us are getting really worried noona. The hyungs are too distracted to do their work, and we're all taking turns to keep watch. But it's really painful to see Cheol-hyung pining for you after what happened to him...

Please get well soon, noona. I promise to be a more responsible Vernon once you wake up~ I might even bring you all to New York!!~

Stay strong~~~

With all my heart, Vernon Hansol Chwe 

P.S. Seungkwan-hyung read what I said about New York and won't stop teasing me about it. Would it be okay if we stuffed him in a bag and leave him here instead?

P.P.S. Jisoo-hyung said I was being mean. I apologized to hyung already, so don't worry~ just wake up sooonnn pleaseee

°

°   °

°   °   °

°   °   °   °

°   °   °    °   °

You smiled softly. The letter left you with the same feeling as Chan's letter yesterday. You felt that Vernon was really concerned for you... Then you wondered why that was his name. Did you make friends with a foreigner? He also mentioned something about another guy named Jisoo, and Seungkwan... And New York. Maybe that's where he's from?

But he also mentioned that he and his hyungs had work... And for a moment, you remembered something...

Yes, you did work with Vernon, and Chan, and every single one of those names. You used to get together at lunch, and during late nights, which was when Chan persuaded you to listen to his favorite music... You went to work at... at---

The memory went cold. You wanted to slap yourself at frustration.

You settled back into bed instead, determined to fall asleep and maybe have another confusing dream again. Your exhaustion soon overwhelmed you, and you fell asleep...

And you didn't see Seongyeon enter your room once more, tears streaming down her cheeks.

~~~

Thanks to all those reading this! Please continue to wait for my updates~

 

<3,

yeolhyunnie