Prologue

13 Letters (Only One You)

My heart won’t change, it won’t ever change


Even if you erase me


We won’t change


Because we’re engraved in each other’s hearts

~•~•~•~

 

Click. Click. Click.

That's the first thing you heard as you woke up in a hospital bed.

Well... It is a hospital bed, right? White sheets, white bed, white pillows. An IV drip was taped and connected to your hand, leading to a tall hospital pole. It doesn't look like your room.

... Wait. What does your room look like? You couldn't remember. And why were you here? You can't remember what happened. Were you in an accident? You started to panic. What was your name? Bae... Bae Seongri? Yes, that sounded right. Bae Seongri. You had  a family. A mom, a dad, a little sister. Bae Seongyeon. You lived in a small bungalow in... Huh. You can't remember. And how old were you? You can't remember as well...

Desperate for answers, you looked to your left, where Seongyeon was tapping silently away on her phone. Huh. So that's where the clicking noise came from.

"S-seongyeon...?" You tried saying her name. It came out hoarse and very low.

She looked up from her phone. "Unnie! You're awake!" She tried to hug you, but as she wrapped her arms around you, spots of pain prickled all over your body.

"No... Please... Hurts." You groan as Seongyeon continued to hug you. She let go right away. "Sorry," She said. "I just missed you so much. We were worried you'd... You know..."

"Never wake up?" You tried to joke.

"Yeah," she replied, laughing lightly. "I better call up our parents, and the doctor. I better tell the oppas you're awake, too..."

"Wait, who?" You asked. Obviously your parents had to be contacted, and the doctor, but... "Who are these oppas you're talkong about?"

"Your friends! Duh!" Seongyeon said as soon as she had talked to a passing nurse outside your room. "And your boyfriend, too!"

"I have one?"

"Don't be silly," Seongyeon reached for your hand gently. "Seungcheol. Remember?"

Seungcheol...

You did your best to jug your memory, trying to remember if you knew someone with that name, but you didn't even have a lot memory to begin with. And who were these friends Seongyeon talked about? If they were your friends, why weren't they here? Why wasn't Seungcheol here, if he was your boyfriend? Why are you here in the first place?

"Seongyeon," you whispered softly.

"Yes, unnie? What is it?" Seongyeon leaned in worriedly.

"What happened to me?"

Seongyeon grew pale. "You... You don't remember?"

You shook your head. The feeling of panic began rising in your chest again. "I don't remember where we lived, or what happened to me, or any of those friends you said. Seongyeon-ah... I don't even remember how old I am."

Tears form in Seongyeon's eyes. "You're twenty-two, unnie." She looked like she wanted to hug you again, but she restrained herself. "You had an accident."

"What kind of accident?" You asked, but the doctor had already barged in, followed by your anxious parents, who immediately rushed to your side, crying tears of relief. You saw Seongyeon step to the side to give the doctor some space. In her hands was a thick parcel that you knew she wasn't holding before, and it wasn't her phone either. By the way she looked at you, you knew she wanted to talk about it with you later, but it would have to wait.

~~~

Temporary retrograde amnesia.

That's what the doctor explained to you. You've forgotten lots of recent memories, but most of your oldest memories were left intact. They would come back in time, the doctor promised, but you would have to be patient. Try to focus in getting better instead.

"The more you worry yourself, the more you will put yourself in stress," the doctor told you. "We don't want your body to be in stress, especially because so much has already happened to it."

Four broken ribs. A broken left wrist and right ankle. A sprained right arm. Not to mention at least twenty gashes and bruises that made you look like a renaissance painting.

Yep. Wouldn't want to be in stress.

"But how did I even get an amnesia?" You asked.

"Through a concussion in the head, dear," the doctor replied.

"No, like what accident was it? Did I jump over a bridge? Or a railroad track?"

The doctor gulped. "Forgive me, I should have started with that. You were on a motorcycle, Miss Bae. You had a collision with a speeding truck. Your body was recovered a few meters away from the scene."

"Was I with anybody else?"

"Actually, yes. A 23-year old man, named Choi Seungcheol. He also attained multiple injuries in the accident." The doctor tilted her head. "Do you have any memories of him?"

You shook your head, frustrated. Seongyeon looked at you sadly from her seat.

~~~


The doctor soon left, along with your parents, to plan out your physical therapy sessions, and possibly even neurotherapy to make your amnesia faster. As soon as the door closed, Seongyeon approached you. The thick parcel was still in her hands.

"You asked about who your friends were earlier," she fidgeted. "Well, they wrote you some letters."

She held them out and placed them gently on your lap. "Seungcheol told them to write you some."

"Why?"

"I think they're get well soon letters," Seongyeon admitted. "But now they can help you regain your memories too."

You look down at the package and open them with your unbroken hand. Inside were envelopes neatly labeled 1 up to 13.

"He said you're supposed to read one everyday, so you can adjust. Start from 13, leading all the way back to 1." Seongyeon said, observing you.

Honestly? You were still confused about Seungcheol, and worried about his condition. Especially if he was supposed to be your boyfriend. But your heart also fluttered a little.

How thoughtful of him.

"Did he get concussed like I did?" You asked your sister. How did he have time to plan this?

"Yes, but he woke up a whole lot earlier than you did, unnie. You were unconscious for two months." Seongyeon's eyes watered again.

Two months... You suddenly felt sorry for Seongyeon and your family and your friends for getting into this accident.

"I'm sorry I put you through this," You whisper, clutching the letters.

"It's fine now, unnie. At least you're awake," Seongyeon smiled, tears now running down her face. "I should probably let you rest now."

You almost told her to stay, but then you saw in her eyes she was much more affected than she was letting on. She needed you to rest, and let her cry her eyes out without being embarassed.

So even if you were still confused, bewildered, and full of unanswered questions, you snuggled back into your hospital bed and said, "Okay."

Seungcheol and his friends would have to wait.

~~~

hi everyone! I hope you liked this prologue~~ i will try to update this consistently and make up for all those times i didn't xD

if y'all wanna follow me on carat amino just hmu at http://aminoapps.com/p/w7pqlo

Don't be scared to like, comment, subscribe ♡

 

<3,

yeolhyunnie