Against All Odds 2

The Blood of Gods Runs in Our Veins [Camp Wars 7 Updated]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Un-beta'd. It's not even proofread by me. I just typed and typed and felt too lazy to re-read everything. So...beware. I'm sure I made tons of grammatical errors in my haste to write. 

The more time Jessica spends at Camp, the more she feels like she knows this place, has been here before. But that’s crazy. Impossible. No one seems to recognize her so there’s no way, she’s been here before.

 

Her mind flashes back to Chiron’s reaction when he first saw her and she thinks, well maybe not no one. Chiron knows something, but he’s not talking. Jessica has tried multiple times to get him to talk, pestering him about her memories, but he managed to keep his mouth shut.

 

She still doesn’t know her name, still doesn’t have any memories. She also hasn’t been claimed. Most of the campers just call her blondie, or newbie. When she walks by, Jessica hears them betting behind her about who her godly parent was.

 

Jessica kind of wishes her godly parent is Athena. Knowledge is insanely powerful and Jessica likes the idea of being able to outsmart people. Besides, Athena seems pretty cool in all the stories she’s read during her Ancient Greek lessons with Seohyun (who Jessica learns is an Athena kid and Jessica thinks she wouldn’t mind being Seohyun’s half sister. The kid seems pretty cool, unnerving glares aside.)


Most people think she’s an Aphrodite kid, and Jessica takes it as a compliment. She knows she’s pretty. Some think she’s an Apollo kid after seeing her shoot an arrow with deadly accuracy on her first try, but then they see her icy glare and they think no way can the god of Sun have a daughter so cold.

 

She doesn’t really fit the norm for a Hermes kid. Nor a Hephaestus kid. She carries herself too proudly. Maybe she’s an Ares kid, considering her surprising talent with a sword. But no, Jessica would rather spend her time sleeping than fighting.

 

Perhaps, her godly parent isn’t even one of the main Olympians, Jessica muses. It’s not too uncommon. There are several children of Hecate and Hypnos. Hypnos. God of sleep. Yeah, that sounds more like her speed.

 

There’s something else that bugs her. She glances at her bare forearm. Jessica wants to say that tattoos aren’t her style - she doesn’t like the commitment. Plus, Jessica likes to think that if she knows herself (which is really hard to do without any memories, mind you) she knows that she would never get a tattoo as tacky as this one was.

 

She has no idea what the letters SPQR could pertain to, nor the ugly long black lines. There are six on her arm and Jessica finds herself tracing them whenever she’s lost in thought. It brings a sense of calm to her, just like now.

 

She glances at the schedule taped to the wall next to her bed in the Hermes cabin. It’s where they place all the unclaimed campers. She has Swords and Shields now and groans. She doesn’t feel like moving today and can’t wait until free time. She likes to sit and sleep under a large tree by the lake. It’s her happy spot at Camp. For some reason, she just feels content when she’s there.

 

Sighing, she dons her armor and grabs her sword and shield, heading down to the arena, meeting the rest of the Hermes cabin there. The only one she’s actually talked to in the Hermes cabin is Sooyoung, a tall girl who eats way too much but somehow still maintains a skinny figure.

 

She eyes the other cabins present and recognizes a short haired blonde named Sunny whom she became acquainted with after a quaint little strawberry picking session. The girl is like a puppy, adorable and bubbly. The rest of Sunny’s half brothers and sisters surround her. Jessica feels a little relieved at the sight of them. The Hephaestus kids aren’t the best with swords. She wouldn’t have to exert too much energy today.

 

Another cabin enters the arena and Jessica is once again relieved when she recognizes them. Their beauty, grace, and physical perfection give them away as Aphrodite’s children. They are also not a threat. Several people nod at her as they pass in greeting. Some of them have already accepted Jessica as one of their own and are just waiting for her to get claimed officially. One of the most welcoming among them is Yoona who is so pretty Jessica remembers thinking she was Aphrodite when she first met her.

 

Jessica hopes that this is it as she eyes the gathering of cabins. But more people enter the arena and all hopes for a relaxed sparring session are gone. Dark brown eyes glare at her from across the arena, the hatred and mistrust in them clear as day.

 

Tiffany and her fellow hunters strut into the arena like they own the place. Jessica senses the Hephaestus and Aphrodite kids tense upon their entrance - they all know how competitive the hunters are and how skilled some of them are with a shield and a sword. The Hermes cabin also tenses, but Jessica knows it’s not in apprehension, it’s in anticipation. She does not doubt that some of them have a few tricks up their sleeves to mess with the hunters.

 

The arena goes silent and everyone’s looking at Tiffany. At first, Jessica is confused why everyone is looking at the redhead, until said redheard starts barking out orders, and pairing people up to spar. Oh, Tiffany is in charge. Jessica gulps and she feels Tiffany’s glare before she sees it.

 

“You, blondie, you’re with me,” the redhead orders gruffly and Jessica trudges forward reluctantly so she stands across the redhead as everyone else takes their positions.

 

“I’m going to have so much fun beating your ,” Tiffany smirks at her as she unsheathes her sword with her right and hefts a heavy looking shield in her left. Jessica bites her lip to keep the retort from leaving . Tiffany has never seen her fight before, if you don’t count the time they fought the Nemean lion together. Well, Jessica has bad news for the redhead, she’s not the one that’s going to get her beaten.

 

She unsheathes her own sword and raises her shield. They aren’t the same swords she used when she fought the Nemean lion. No, those blades have been made out of a black metal. These are bronze, celestial bronze apparently.

 

When she asked Chiron about her bracelets and what they were made of, he merely shrugged and asked Jessica to use the camp’s weaponry instead. For the campers’ sake, he insisted. Apparently, her black swords had put them on edge.  She obeyed of course, but the replacement sword and shield never felt right. The weight was off, too heavy. But despite that, those who have seen her wield her swords know to stay away.

 

Tiffany strikes first, her teeth baring. Jessica knows that while Tiffany will not exactly kill her, she will try to rough up the blonde as much as possible, place as many cuts as she can. The keyword though is try.

 

Jessica is quicker and meets all of the girl’s advances. She knows that the hunters don’t normally use a sword and shield in battle. They prefer bows and arrows in honor of their patron, Artemis. This places Tiffany at a disadvantage. Jessica has fought other campers who are more skilled with the sword in the few days she’s been here and won. Hyoyeon, Yuri, and even Seohyun - she’s knocked them all down, disarming them within seconds. But what Tiffany lacks in skill and experience, she makes up for in passion, relentlessness, and intensity.

 

‘She must really hate me’ Jessica thinks dryly. She has nothing against the girl really, but she insists that Jessica has something to do with the fact her best friend had disappeared.

 

Jessica sees Tiffany growing sloppier and sloppier with her swings and her steps as she gets increasingly more and more frustrated that none of her hits make contact with Jessica. Jessica continues to antagonize her, dodging and blocking everything the redhead throws her way. She purposely does not retaliate. Jessica knows it awful, but a part of her enjoys being able to manipulate the redhead like this. ‘Consider this my revenge.’

 

Tiffany grows so frustrated, clearly surprised and annoyed that a five day old camper could hold her own against her, someone who has been at camp since she was nine, she actually throws her shield at Jessica.

 

Jessica falters, slightly caught off guard by the unprecedented attack and raises her own shield to block the attack. When she lowers her shield, the redhead is on her. Tiffany pounces onto Jessica, tackling her so hard that both of them crash to the ground in an entanglement of limbs.

 

Jessica gasps as her back hits the ground hard. She tries to push the redhead off of her, but Tiffany has her pinned down. Jessica wants to laugh at the irony - this is the exact position the blonde had used on Tiffany on her first day at camp.

 

“What the ,” Jessica cusses. She shifts her body uncomfortably under Tiffany’s hold. “This isn’t even sparring anymore.”

 

Tiffany merely fixes her glare on Jessica. “Where did you learn how to fight like that?” Tiffany demands, bringing her face dangerously close to Jessica’s. Jessica wants to lean her head back in discomfort, but the ground stops her.

 

“I don’t know,” Jessica scowls. She has lost count of how many times she’s said that phrase in the past couple of days. “I lost my memories.”

 

Tiffany zeroes in on her even more, her eyes narrowing in distrust. “I don’t believe you.” And that’s when Jessica feels the knife that Tiffany has pressed against . Her nose almost flares at the absurdity. Did the redhead plan to torture the truth out of her?

 

“I don’t care if you believe me or not,” Jessica seethes, leaning up slightly. She feels the knife that’s pressed against her neck break skin, feels the blood leak out. Tiffany doesn’t move her knife. She doesn’t move her neck. “Now get off me, or I’ll make you get off.”

 

Tiffany doesn’t respond. She only stares at Jessica with growing frustration. Jessica breathes out heavily through her nose. She tried to warn her, Jessica reasons angrily. Her muscles tense and the next thing she knows, the earth beneath them is cracking.

 

A fissure opens up not too far away from them and finally Tiffany takes her attention away from the blonde staring at the fissure coming at them with a hint of fear. The other campers have all paused their sparring at this point and are all currently staring at them.

 

The earth continues to crack and break. The whole arena rumbles as the fissure travels toward them. Jessica stares unwaveringly at Tiffany. Tiffany finally realizes the earthquake is Jessica’s doing. The fissure stops right before them and a bony hand shoots through the opened earth, grabbing onto Tiffany’s leg.

 

Tiffany’s eyes widen almost comically in fear and she jumps off Jessica like a frightened cat, swiping at the bony hand with her knife. The moment she’s off of Jessica, the rumbling stops and the hand retreats back to the earth.

 

Tiffany’s gaping at Jessica with a look that can only be described as pure terror.

 

“Who in Hades are you?!” She screams and Jessica can tell the girl is clearly shaken up. Tiffany’s practically shaking from the aftershocks. She feels bad. She didn't mean to go that far. She just felt so angry and the next thing she knew the ground was splitting open.

 

Tiffany is opening looking like she's about to go on a crazed rant of sorts when suddenly she stops and is just staring at Jessica with an odd look of dread.

 

No, not at Jessica. Above her.

 

That's when she realizes everyone is staring, the blood draining from their faces.

 

Jessica frowns and tilts her head wondering just what the heck everyone is staring at and she sees it but just for a split second, before it disappears, shimmering black dust. The symbol is foreign to her. It looked like some sort of scepter but Jessica cannot be sure, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t know what just happened.

 

Oh, Jessica thinks, blinking into space, she’s been claimed.

 

But suddenly, there’s a bright light and no one’s staring at her anymore. Instead they’re staring at the newcomer - a seven foot woman with brown hair and a goatskin cloak. The lady radiates power and warmth. All the campers around her bow down in respect. Jessica finds herself unable to move, meeting the goddess’s gaze.

 

The goddess smiles. “Hello Jessica Jung, daughter of Hades, lost hero of Olympus.”

 

Behind her, Jessica hears Tiffany bite back a curse. Jessica eyes the goddess’s goatskin and she finally puts two and two together, mentally recalling all of her lessons on the greek gods with Seohyun.

 

“Juno,” she breathes out. She frowns seconds later. The name is foreign on her tongue yet so familiar. She knows she’s right. But the campers are staring at her like she’s grown an extra head.

 

She furrows her eyebrows, suddenly feeling uneasy. “Am I wrong?”

 

“Technically, you’re right,” Tiffany mutters darkly behind her, stepping forward and Jessica sees the dagger she’s clutching tightly in her hand. “She’s Hera. Juno is her Roman name.” She spits out Hera’s name like it’s poison before turning to stare skeptically at Jessica. “How did you know that?”
 

Jessica only offers a hopeless shrug. “I don’t know.”

 

Tiffany rolls her eyes, exasperated. “Figures.” She then turns so she’s facing the goddess again. “And to what do we owe this pleasure, Hera?” she asks not even bothering to hide her scowl from the goddess, clearly displeased. Her behaviour borders disrespect and Jessica is sure that if there's anyone with the guts to stand up to an all powerful being, it's Tiffany. 

 

Luckily for Tiffany, Hera does not seem too riled up by her blatant disrespect. Instead, Hera fixes her gaze on Tiffany. To Tiffany’s credit, she doesn’t even flinch.



“Tiffany Hwang, daughter of Demeter,” the goddess studies the redhead with calculating eyes.

 

“And Huntress of Artemis,” Tiffany adds in almost childishly.

 

Hera merely raises a nonpurplussed eyebrow. “Yes.” She pauses and then her smirk widens. “Did you like my gifts?”

 

Before Jessica can ask what she means, Tiffany bristles in anger beside her. “I knew it was you sending me cow dung all summer.”

 

Hera shrugs, the power rolling off her shoulders. “Aren’t you a smart demigod.”

 

“You-”


Jessica jumps in before Tiffany can call Hera a again. “You called me the lost hero,” she breathes out quickly and Hera turns her attention back to her.

 

“And that my name is Jessica Jung,” Jessica continues, her heart beating faster. Could it be? The answer to all her questions? “You know who I am.” It’s a statement not a question and Hera nods.

 

“I know who you are, child,” Hera’s eyes scan Jessica. “I am the one who took your memories after all.”

 

At this, Jessica growls, stepping forward, her body shifting into an aggressive stance. “Why?” she demands. What did Hera want with her? Why did the goddess make Jessica suffer so much?

 

Hera’s gaze feels heavy on her when the goddess answers. “Something is brewing, young hero. As you may have noticed by now, the gods have gone silent.”

 

“They stopped all communications about a month ago,” Tiffany comments to the side as she thinks to herself. “Around the time-” She chokes, stops, and tries again. “Around the time Taeyeon disappeared.”

 

Hera nods solemnly, her facial expression showing everything she cannot say. “Zeus has forbidden the gods from interfering.”

 

“Why?” Tiffany demands.

 

“The Great Prophecy, I fear it’s coming true,” Hera states and the effect of her words are heavy. Jessica feels Tiffany stiffening apprehension. Or is it dread? Hera herself looks troubled and Jessica knows that if the goddess is worried about it, then it can't be good. But the meaning of Hera’s words are lost on Jessica. What in Hades is the Great Prophecy?

 

“What does this have to do with my memories,” Jessica asks instead impatiently. Before Hera can answer, the sky flashes dangerously and thunder roars from a distant away.

 

Hera looks up at the sky before focusing back on Jessica. “I cannot tell you more. Zeus has found out my plan. I cannot stay for long.” Her gaze is so sharp it pierces into Jessica’s soul. “Travel west. My body is being held captive there. Once you free me, you will get your memories.” As soon as she’s done, Hera is glowing again and Jessica looks away, knowing that the goddess is assuming her true form.

 

“Wait!” Tiffany screams in a panic. “What about Taeyeon! Where is she! You took her, didn’t you?”

 

Jessica has to grab onto the Tiffany’s shirt before the girl could stupidly run towards Hera and forcefully covers Tiffany’s eyes while keeping her own tightly shut. If either of them even so much as peeks at Hera’s true f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter