Against All Odds 1

The Blood of Gods Runs in Our Veins [Camp Wars 7 Updated]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon is living the worst day of her life - or at least she thinks so because she can't ing remember anything.

 

She’d woken up a few hours ago feeling like she’d been drugged up and her head was pounding like someone was repeatedly hitting with with a rock. Then, as she searched her memories for what had happened, for how she ended up lying on the cold dirty ground of the forest with nothing on her person except for the spear strapped across her back, she came up with absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch.

 

She has no memories.

 

All she can remember is the name Jessica Jung.

 

And despite her initial impulse of thinking that Jessica is her own name, she knows it isn’t. Somehow, something deep inside her gut is telling her Jessica Jung is not her name, but the name of someone who is very important to her. She remembers nothing else of this Jessica Jung. But she supposes Jessica must’ve been very important to her since her name is the only thing she knows.

 

This is confirmed later, of course, by the large wolf she runs into amidst her wondering around the woods hoping to get back to civilization. The large talking wolf.

 

Her name is Kim Taeyeon it seems.  And the wolf’s name is Lupa.

 

And according to the wolf, apparently Taeyeon is a child of Rome.

 

That is all Lupa offers, that and the fact that she is there to train her into a warrior, before Lupa launches at her fangs baring, claws out to maim her.

 

It is only pure survival instinct that Taeyeon moves in time to dodge the attack, quickly swinging her spear around to her hands as she did so. The weight of the weapon feels familiar in her hands, and she prays to whatever gods out there that the old her knew how to use the weapon, that she isn’t going to die in the claws of a talking wolf.

 

So yeah, Taeyeon is having a pretty ty day.


 

 

 

 

The ty day turns into a whole ty week.

 

She fights and trains with the wolf for a whole week before she deems her worthy enough to leave. Tired from both the physical exertion and the emotional struggle of having no clue who she really is Taeyeon trudges along the trees, following Lupa’s instructions carefully, until she arrives at a rushing river.

 

By the banks of the river stands a fat lady and by the way she was hoisting her dress up, it is clear that she is preparing to cross it. Taeyeon raises an eyebrow, thinking that no way the lady was dumb enough to try and cross a clearly raging river, when - splash - and oh, she’s in the river.

 

Taeyeon immediately runs forward, barely managing to catch the lady’s arm as the water threatens to pull her under its currents.

 

“Are you crazy!?” she shouts. The cold water that clings to her lower legs and fills her shoes do not help in easing her previous misery.

 

The woman stops and looks up at Taeyeon with grey eyes that make Taeyeon stop cold. The woman seems to look her up and down once as if appraising her. Suddenly the woman smiles and Taeyeon feels the goosebumps on her skin rise. The lady is dangerous despite her appearance.

 

“My, my. You’re quite a capable hero. Carry me across the river?” the lady speaks, her voice velvety and thick with hidden power.

 

Taeyeon eyes the lady. There is no way she was going into that river with such angry waters, let alone carry a person across it. She feels the emotions that have been building up this past week claw at and chest. She could feel her tongue and lips putting together a string of curse words but she bites them down.

 

“You’re kidding,” is what she settles for instead.

 

The lady raises an eyebrow. “I am most certainly not. I am a helpless lady and you seem quite capable. You wouldn’t leave this lady here by herself, would you hero?”

 

Taeyeon doesn’t miss the way the lady had called her a hero. She bites back a shiver at the title. Hero. It feels heavy on her, yet its weight is familiar.

 

The lady raises her eyebrow even higher, almost challenging, and Taeyeon huffs. Something was telling her this is the test Lupa had told her about.

 

“Fine,” she bends down and scoops up the lady bridal style, her legs nearly buckling at the weight. The lady has been very well fed.

 

“Onwards!” the lady exclaims, obviously happy about not having to do any sort of physical exertion. Under her, Taeyeon grunts with effort.

 

The first step into the river is the hardest. The water is biting cold. And call her paranoid, but it seems as if her presence has agitated the raging waters even more as it now spilled past its bank. But Taeyeon isn’t too deterred. She continues onward silently.

 

When she's almost across the river an arrow whizzes by and it takes all of her strength to move out of the way in time.

 

“What the !” she curses. Seriously getting across the river was difficult enough already without having to fight off enemies.

 

“Hold! Who goes there? State your name and your purpose,” a rough voice shouts and Taeyeon assumes he must be hiding behind the wall across the river.

 

“I'm Kim Taeyeon and and I'm not trying to get this lady across the ing river,” she spits out and really if this were any other time she would've tried to be polite but she was tired, and waist deep in freezing water. She has no more patience left.

 

She hears muffled talking. They're probably talking about different ways to kill her, Taeyeon muses but she focuses on getting this lady across the damn river. And is it just her imagination or is the lady getting heavier?

 

Finally, her foot hits the river bank and she hauls both of them out of the river with much effort. As soon as her full body is out of the water, she drops the woman to her feet and bends over in exhaustion.

 

“There,” Taeyeon pants. “I carried you across. You're welcome.” Just as she finishes, a pipe in the wall opens up and boys and girls all around her age come pouring out.

 

With weapons. All pointed at her.

 

And instead of fear, Taeyeon feels anger. She did not just wake up with no memories, fight a wolf for a week, and carry a heavy woman across a roaring river to get killed by children.

 

“Drop your weapon,” one of the girls says. The girl is dressed in royal purple cape and donned an eagle medal. Underneath her cape she wore a purple shirt and Taeyeon can make out the words CAMP JUPITER splayed across the chest. “We do not wish to harm you.” Judging by how she stands in front of everyone and the power radiating off of her and vibrating through her voice, Taeyeon assumes she is the leader of this gang, despite her short stature. (Though is isn’t one to talk).

 

Taeyeon does not do as she is told. She holds tight onto her spear. The air swirls dangerously around her. The whole time, the lady watches amused. Taeyeon has no idea why she is still here nor why she does not seem fazed by the weapons that surround them but Taeyeon pays her no mind.

 

There is a sharp snap in the air, the tell tale sign of an arrow being released and Taeyeon feels something inside of her awaken.

 

She feels the power humming inside of her, filling her whole body from her toes to her fingertips. And then it snaps like a rubber band being released after being pulled too tightly.

 

The arrow breaks in half, caught in the harsh winds that now surround Taeyeon, carrying her off the ground and into the air. Taeyeon isn't sure but she thinks thunder crackles once or twice behind her and usually Taeyeon isn't one for dramatics but right now with her own mini tornado under her, the air crackling with electricity, and the people staring up at her with equal parts fear and respect, Taeyeon feels ing powerful.

 

The leader girl from before motions everyone to put their weapons down. The whole time her eyes never leave Taeyeon’s. They are hard, cold, calculating, and suspicious. The fat lady from before is staring at Taeyeon with something akin to amusement as if she were laughing at Taeyeon’s dramatic display.

 

Suddenly everyone gasps and they aren’t looking at her anymore. Instead they are looking at something above her. Suddenly they’re all dropping to their knees and bowing. Frowning, Taeyeon looks up just in time to see a fading blue lightning bolt symbol shining over her head. She stares at it in wonder until the girl from before speaks up.

 

“The gods have spoken. Hail Kim Taeyeon, daughter of Jupiter, king of the gods and rules of the skies.”

 

Taeyeon stares at everyone as the wind below her feet gradually dies down and she is firmly on the ground once more. They all stand and before Taeyeon could process what is happening, the fat lady starts to glow.

 

Taeyeon stares and stares until her eyes hurt from such a bright light and finally closes her eyes. When she opens them again, the lady is still there, but she is no longer fat nor does she look anything at all like what she used to.

 

The lady is now nearly seven feet tall and her eyes, still grey, swirl with wisdom and old age. She is dressed in a blue dress with a cloak made of goat skin, which hangs over her shoulders. Her face is stern and stately, while her hand holds a staff with a white lotus flower on top.

 

Taeyeon registers the loud gasp behind her but she is too focused on the clearly not human lady in front of her.

 

“Juno,” the girl with the purple cape murmurs, the reverence clear in her voi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter