A Leader's Sacrifice 4

The Blood of Gods Runs in Our Veins [Camp Wars 7 Updated]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jessica woke up the next morning, she was sure of one thing - she had met Taeyeon before.

 

Forced out of her cabin by the harpies when it was time for cabin inspection, Jessica made her way down to the training pits and saw Taeyeon for the first time since she was knocked out for a week. The girl was currently busy teaching the Hermes cabin how to improve their sword fighting, though Jessica could tell there was something off about the way she was moving. It was stiff and jerky and she favored her left side too obviously. Jessica realized with sudden worry, that the girl was hurt.

 

Picking up her pace just the slightest, she quietly stepped up next to Taeyeon who watched over the sparring pairs with sharp eyes.

 

“Hey,” Jessica greeted, her eyes eagerly roaming the girl’s face and body. This was the girl Jessica met nearly a year ago in the Underworld. This was the girl who had cried about failing everyone yet was clearly regarded as a hero here. Jessica felt satisfaction and contentment seep into her body as if she’d been holding her breath ever since she met this girl and now she could finally breathe out. They really did meet again.

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon flickered her eyes over to Jessica briefly before returning her gaze to the campers. “Glad to see you’re finally awake.” The slight raise of her lips was barely there, but still teasing. Jessica nearly scoffed at how proud Taeyeon sounded for waking up before her.

 

“I happen to love sleeping,” Jessica retorted dryly. “Besides,” her eyes ghosted over Taeyeon’s right side where there was definitely a fractured rib. “At least I’m fully healed.”

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow, eyeing Jessica out of the corners of her eye. “What are you talking about? I’m fine.”

 

Jessica turned so she was fully facing Taeyeon. “Uh huh, sure,” she commented dryly, reaching out to poke Taeyeon exactly where she knew it would hurt the most. Taeyeon winced in pain, grabbing onto Jessica’s hand scowling. Jessica merely raised her own eyebrow in response.

 

“How can you tell?” Taeyeon hissed under her breath, stepping closer to Jessica so no one else could hear. “Yoona couldn’t tell. Not even the Apollo kids could tell.”

 

“I’m a daughter of Hades,” Jessica stated simply, the lie coming easier and easier out of the more she said it. “I can feel people’s bones,” she shrugged. “And your rib is most definitely fractured.”

 

“That’s a weird skill to have,” Taeyeon snorted, crossing her arms over her chest, fighting back the smallest wince of pain at the action, hoping Jessica didn’t notice. Judging from the unimpressed look she was receiving from the blonde, Jessica had definitely noticed.

 

“It’s a useful skill,” Jessica rolled her eyes. “Move your arms.”

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but uncrossed her arms. Jessica raised her right hand and made a few hand gestures in the air. Taeyeon didn’t know what was happening, but she could feel her side get warm. Finally, Jessica was done with whatever she was doing and dropped her arm.

 

“What’d you just do?” Taeyeon asked, her hands patted her sides wildly. “It doesn’t hurt anymore,” she exclaimed, eyes staring widely at Jessica in wonder.

 

Jessica grinned, looking entirely too pleased with herself. “I mended your fractured rib. You’re welcome, by the way.”

 

“Oh gods bless you,” Taeyeon exhaled in wonder and gratitude. “The pain was starting to be annoying. I don’t know how much longer I could’ve hid it.”

 

“Well, lucky you, you don’t have to,” Jessica commented, enjoying how happy and excited Taeyeon seemed at what she thought was a small feat.

 

“Thanks,” Taeyeon grinned at her and Jessica couldn’t help but remember her dreams, or more correctly, her memories, because there was no way, it was all a dream. But then how’d she forget about Taeyeon? Something didn’t add up and Jessica was determined to get answers before she left.


 

 

 


 

“You’re quite skilled with the bow,” Chiron noted as he galloped up next to her in the archery range. Jessica didn’t turn to greet him, her eyes flickering over to him briefly before they drifted back to the target that was a few hundred feet away. The string was taut under her hold and she could feel her muscles tighten as she pulled even more. Then, she let loose.

 

The arrow flew across the archery range with incredible speed before it lodged itself perfectly dead center of the bullseye. Jessica dropped her arms, turning to greet Chiron properly this time.

 

“Absolutely magnificent,” Chiron praised, eyes twinkling with amazement as he stared at the perfect bullseye. “It is rare that a child whose father is not Apollo is so skilled at archery.” He turned to face her her, the curiosity fully expressive on his face. “Where did you learn how to shoot like that?”

 

Jessica merely smirked and tilted her head. She couldn’t tell Chiron how the kids back at the Roman camp were required to be trained in all sorts of weapons - or how the training was much stricter and harsher than here. “I learned from experience,” Jessica simply answered. It was not a lie either.

 

Back at Camp Jupiter, they sometimes played war games entirely with bows and arrows.  You either learned how to be a good shooter or you learned how to run very fast. As a person who detested running, Jessica picked up archery fairly passionately and quicky.

 

“I see,” Chiron stated, lowering his chin, so his gaze rested entirely on Jessica. While his face gave little to nothing away, Jessica could tell from his eyes that Chiron was seeking information while also withholding information - information that Jessica wanted. And some way, somehow, she was going to get it.


 

 

 

 

“I see someone has made themselves comfortable.”

 

Jessica peeked up from her book from where she was sitting in the shade of a large tree by the camp lake. “Hi,” she greeted.

 

Taeyeon nodded her greeting and made her way over to sit down next to Jessica. “What’cha up to?” She reached over to read the title off the book in Jessica’s hands and squinted at the letters. “ That doesn’t say ‘The Hickory Way’ does it?”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes in good humor. “So close. It’s ‘The History of Wars,’”.

 

Taeyeon scrunched her nose in distaste. “Sounds boring. Why are you reading it? You don’t even have Ancient Greek studies right now.”

 

Jessica huffed, refocusing her eyes on the words in front of her. “Some people actually like reading you know? Or did you forget that time when you didn’t believe I was a demigod because I actually did well in school?”

 

Taeyeon pulled her knees to her chest, folding her arms over them. She hid her blushing face behind her arms. She remembered very well being awestruck by the blonde when she gracefully killed the Keres mid air. “You sound just like Seohyun,” Taeyeon muttered, her eyes surveying the water surface in front of her. The Athenian child was known for reprimanding Taeyeon for her childish ways despite being years younger.

 

“What are you doing here anyways? Don’t you have someone else to bother?” Jessica meant it as a joke - she didn’t mind Taeyeon’s presence at all, welcomed it in fact - but by the way the brunette deflated slightly, hurt from the rejection, Jessica realized she’d taken her words seriously. Jessica cursed herself. She knew Taeyeon didn’t have many close friends here at Camp. Though they all adored her, Taeyeon kept away from most of them. Jessica came to this conclusion herself as she watched how Taeyeon seemed to keep everyone at an arm’s length away. Everyone except her.

 

“Kidding,” she quickly amended. “In case you couldn’t tell, I don’t have many friends. There’s something about being the child of Hades that scares people away,” she added in before pausing and saying “I’m glad you want to hang out with me and...be my friend.” She cringed as the words left - she was rarely one for cheesiness - but decided it was worth it as the hurt disappeared from Taeyeon’s eyes immediately. Instead it was replaced an odd look of understanding.

 

“I get what you mean,” Taeyeon commented lightly, picking at the grass. “You know, being the daughter of Zeus and all. People are either friends with me because they think I’m a hero, or because of my status.”

 

Jessica pondered on the sad tone in Taeyeon’s voice before responding, “Well, if you ask me, being a hero is overrated anyways.”

 

Taeyeon hummed in agreement and rested her cheek on her arms. Her eyes took in the sight next to her. They traveled from the beautiful blonde hair that was slightly tousled from the breeze, to the sharp focused eyes that were currently completely focused on the book in front of her to the sharpness of her nose, the paleness of her skin, those enticing lips, and finally, that perfect jawline.  Taeyeon gulped. She was fully aware she was staring and if Jessica noticed, she didn’t react. So Taeyeon continued her unabashed staring until finally she got bored.

 

“Spar with me,” Taeyeon requested while staring at the book in Jessica’s pretty hands. She realized she was slightly annoyed at the book for taking all of the blonde’s attention.

 

Jessica’s eyes flickered to her very briefly. “That sounds like a terrible idea,” she stated. “Remember the last time we sparred? We both ended up in the infirmary for a week. I like sleeping as much as the next person, but I like my sleeps to be peaceful and not induced by danger.”

 

Taeyeon frowned as Jessica flipped the page casually, her attention still focused on the damn book. Really, how Taeyeon wasn’t more interesting than history was beyond her.

 

“That wasn’t a proper spar. That was a fight,” Taeyeon protested. She paused, carefully thinking over her next words as an idea hit her. She knew how to get Jessica to spar her. She barely contained the smile spilling over her lips. “Which I won, by the way.”

 

Oh, that got Jessica’s attention alright. Jessica slammed her book shut and turned to glare at Taeyeon.

 

“You won?” Jessica asked nearly scoffing, her eyes narrowing on the brunette. “I was the clear winner.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes in mock exasperation. “We both fell at the same time, but I woke up before you. Therefore, I won.” Taeyeon fought back a shiver as Jessica’s eyes narrowed even further.

 

“You had a broken rib when you woke up. I was completely fine,” Jessica stated icily and Taeyeon realized that insulting Jessica’s pride was dangerous. “Besides, it was one on three, yet I still fought to a standstill. Therefore, I won.”

 

“No fatal injuries?” Taeyeon smirked. She only needed to push a little further now. “Please, as if getting struck by lightning isn’t fatal. Besides, I bet if it were one on one, weapons only, you would lose. Your shadow traveling is cheating.”

 

Jessica’s nose flared. “Kim Taeyeon, prepare to lose.”



Taeyeon let her victorious smile take over her face. “That’s what I like to hear, blondie.”

 

Twenty minutes later,  they were at a standstill. Taeyeon clutched her trusty spear with one hand while Jessica gripped her signature Stygian iron sword tightly in front of her. Both were breathing heavily. Without their powers, they were pretty equally matched.

 

Metal clashed against metal as Jessica blocked another attack from Taeyeon’s spear. Taeyeon was frustrated. Jessica had a different fighting style than the other campers. She had no idea where Jessica learned how to fight, but it was throwing her off. No one else fought like Jessica.

 

That said, Taeyeon was proud to say that she was able to catch Jessica off guard a couple times too. It was clear that Jessica wasn’t very used to Taeyeon’s style either, though the last couple of days the blonde had spent sparring with other members of the camp made her more attuned to the Greek fighting style.

 

Taeyeon eyed the black sword in the blonde’s right hand before shifting her gaze to the black bracelet that was still wrapped around Jessica’s left wrist. She growled in frustration. After seeing Jessica fight last time, she knew for a fact that while Jessica was deadly with one sword, she was absolutely unstoppable with two swords. Jessica was still going easy on her.

 

Deciding that fighting a standstill was no longer fun, Taeyeon secretly willed the wind to pick up. If Jessica noticed the sudden breeze, she didn’t react.

 

Taeyeon charged, looking like she was trying to pierce through Jessica’s chest and Jessica moved to block, only the wind blew her hair into her face, causing her to lose sight momentarily. Taeyeon took this opening and switched her attack at the last minute, lashing out with the of her spear instead. It hit Jessica on the chest perfectly Jessica growled, flicking her head so the hair was out of her eyes.

 

The match continued like that, with Taeyeon secretly gaining the upper hand as she maneuvered the wind to her will. She was careful not to do too much lest she get caught by Jessica. She knew better than to invoke the wrath of the blonde.

 

Smirking, Taeyeon taunted the blonde. “Told you I’m the better fighter.”

 

Jessica’s jaw twitched in irritation. “Please.” She summoned her second sword and instantly Taeyeon’s smirk fell from her face. This was where things got interesting, she noted to herself. Jessica had finally stopped holding back on her.

 

Jessica rushed her and Taeyeon fell back, completely surprised at the blonde’s speed. Jessica was faster than the last time they’d fought, though Taeyeon supposed the blonde was merely tired from shadow traveling so much last time.

 

Taeyeon could barely keep up. It took everything she’s got just to block or parry the blonde’s attacks. One particularly well timed offensive strike sent Taeyeon stumbling towards the ground, her spear just flying out of her grip. Jessica did not pause in her advance.

 

Eyes wide open in fear, Taeyeon willed the winds to carry her up, and jumped with all her might. Jessica charged right past the spot she’d stood previously before stopping and glaring at the brunette in the air.

 

“You can fly?!” Jessica nearly shouted astonished.
 

Taeyeon smirked down at her. “Yup.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Well, you used your powers so you lost. I win.”

 

Taeyeon shrugged not even caring she’d lost. Jessica had proven to be the better fighter. “I’ve actually been using my powers for a while now,” she admitted nonchalantly. “I’m surprised you haven’t caught on.”

 

Jessica glared at her as she turned her swords back into bracelets. “I knew the wind had to be your doing.” She scoffed. “Kim Taeyeon, I did not take you to be a cheater.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t take offense at the jibe. She merely put her hands on her hips and held her chest out proudly. “Maybe, but it was fun seeing you sputter after nearly swallowing your hair.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Are you going to come down, or am I going to have to shoot you down?” Jessica asked as she formed a ball of dark magic in her hand.

 

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow. “Oh I have a better idea.” She swooped down and before Jessica could react, tackled them both into the lake. The water was cold on their skin but the coldness was much welcomed after they had worked up a sweat under the summer sun.

 

Jessica broke surface first, sputtering indignantly at being nearly drowned without warning. Just as Taeyeon tried to resurface, the blonde got her revenge by pushing the shorty back down. Taeyeon thrashed about violently, before Jessica finally decided she’d suffered enough and pulled her up.

 

Taeyeon coughed wildly, trying to get rid of all the water she’d swallowed. “What was that for? Are you trying to kill me?” she shouted, taking in gulpfuls of air. Though she meant the question as a joke, the deadpan answer the blonde gave made her freeze.

 

“Yes.”

 

Taeyeon stopped thrashing to stare at Jessica with wide, terrified eyes, until she saw the slightest lift of the blonde’s lips. She sighed in relief.

 

“Geez, don’t joke like that,” she pouted.

 

Jessica was laughing with a full on smile now and Taeyeon felt warm. For some reason, despite having been at Camp Half-Blood for years, she didn’t have many close friends. Well there were two, but one was now an immortal huntress who she barely got to see and the other one...the other one was dead.

 

 

 

 

Jessica approached Chiron days later, the same book Taeyeon had caught her reading that day under the tree in her hand.  “Hey Director C, I was hoping I could ask you a question.”

 

Chiron looked up from where he was talking in hushed whispers with the Greek god Jessica recognized as Dionysus, the god of wine.  

 

“Uh, sure Jessica. We were just finishing up.” He pushed his glasses up his nose, and Jessica noticed him shooting Dionysus a discreet look clearly signaling that their conversation was over for now. Dionysus was clearly not too happy about being pushed aside or this situation in general and merely took one displeased glanced at Jessica before disappearing with a grunt.

 

Chiron focused his attention to Jessica once the god was gone. “What may I help you with?”

 

Jessica held up the history book in her hands, its open pages described the demigod involvement in  the American Civil War. “It says that most Greek demigods sided with the North,” Jessica pointed out, her finger running along the quote in the book. “Who was fighting on the other side then?”

 

Chiron looked like there was something stuck in his throat that he couldn’t quite swallow. “Rebelling Greek demigods,” he answered thickly and slowly.

 

Jessica merely raised an eyebrow at him, clearly not believing his lie.

Chiron breathed out evenly. He was caught between a rock and a hard place. His tail swished in anxiety. “I believe you know the answer to your question, young demigod.”

 

Jessica’s eyes hardened. She’d guessed, but she didn’t know whether or not she was right.  In fact, she’d hoped she was wrong, but Chiron had just confirmed it for her.

 

“Roman demigods then,” Jessica stated evenly. “Like me.”

 

Chiron could only nod stiffly. “Yes, like you, daughter of Pluto.”

 

“You knew?” Jessica raised an inquisitive eyebrow, though she was not too surprised. She had a feeling Chiron knew her real identity.

 

“It was not too difficult to tell,” Chiron stated simply, his old wise eyes taking in Jessica’s appearance. Jessica felt as if he could see her soul.  “You are a child of the Big Three, yet we had never heard of or seen you before this. You are a trained warrior and have clearly fought against many monsters and gone on many dangerous quests,” he explained plainly, as if reading facts from a book. “You don’t fight like a Greek demigod either. Plus, you always wore long sleeves despite it being summer. You always hid your arms.” He shrugged. “There was no other explanation.”

 

Jessica touched her forearm. Hidden under her sleeves was her SPQR tattoo, a physical sign of her loyalty to the Roman Camp and the Roman ways.

 

“Why did the gods keep this from us? Why do they hide us from each other?” Jessica asked, despite having an inkling for the reason why.

 

Chiron frowned sagely. “The last time the Roman and the Greek interacted was during the civil war. I’m sure you can place two and two together - the reason why the gods thought it would be better if either side knew nothing of the other.”

 

“Bloodshed,” Jessica concluded.

 

Chiron nodded, his tail swishing with apprehension.

 

“Then why am I here? Why did the gods let me meet Taeyeon?” Jessica pressed. This was the real question she wanted answers to. She was fine not knowing about the Greeks. She’d lived her whole life not knowing about them. She could’ve continued living her life without knowing they existed just fine. But now, now she couldn’t. Not after she’d met Kim Taeyeon.

 

Chiron shook his head before frowning up into the skies, into the heavens. “I have no clue young demigod, no clue.” He paused before continuing, his frown deepening. “And I fear the gods have no idea either.”

 

“They did not plan this?” Jessica frowned in confusion. She thought back to how agitated Dionysus seemed when talking with Chiron earlier. Taeyeon had told her about how grumpy Mr. D could get but she supposed this was different.

 

“No, I’m afraid not. You and Taeyeon meeting was not the god’s doing, at least not outrightly so.” He sighed heavily and Jessica wondered just how old he was. “Perhaps, it was fate that you two met.”

 

“We’ve met before actually,” Jessica found herself saying all of a sudden. Chiron perked up with interest so she continued. “In the Underworld, when Taeyeon was trying to obtain the curse of the Styx. I’d saved her.” She took a breath. “We’d both forgotten about it - the gods’ work no doubt, but I had a dream last night that made me remember.”

 

Chiron stared at her with wide eyes and Jessica could see the gears turning in his head, the questions forming on his lips, though he asked none. “I see,” was all he said. “Then I suppose it is fate. That one way or another, even against the gods, you two were bound to meet.”

 

Jessica caught apprehension in his thoughtful voice. “You think something is stirring. Something is happening.” It came out more a statement than a question.

 

Chiron lowered his head to rest his gaze on Jessica. “I pray that I am wrong, but I do fear something may be at play,” he answered truthfully, quietly.

 

“And you think Taeyeon and I have something to do with it?” Jessica asked.

 

Chiron shrugged. “Who knows? But having two of the most powerful current demigods meeting despite the fact that one is of Greek blood and the other of Roman...I have lived far too long to continue believing in coincidences. Whatever is happening, yours and Taeyeon’s fates are intertwined.”

 

Jessica swallowed thickly, letting Chiron’s words sink into her mind. Opening , she asked one final question. “Do I stay?”

 

Chiron gazed upon her with inquisitive eyes. “That is entirely up to you,” he answered wisely.

 

Jessica could only nod.

 

 

 

Jessica stared at her dinner plate with a solemn silence. The air seemed to cling heavily to her. She was trying to decide whether she should tell Taeyeon - tell her that they’d met before, that she was Roman, not Greek - or just slip away quietly. It would be unfair, but it was necessary.

 

She’d already made up her mind. She was going back. She had to. As much as she wanted to stay, she had a whole Camp waiting for her, depending on her. Her sister was still waiting for her return. Irene was most likely overwhelmed with managing things by herself too.

 

She was broken out of her thoughts as Taeyeon slid into the seat next to hers. Jessica stared at the brunette in surprise.

 

“So, the Chariot Races are on Friday,” Taeyeon started and Jessica was slightly amused at how shy the brunette seemed. She had a feeling she knew what the brunette wanted to asked her.

 

“Yes, they are,” Jessica prompted encouragingly with a small knowing smile.

 

“And I was wondering…” Taeyeon trailed off, her eyes looking everywhere except at Jessica. “If you aren’t already someone else’s partner if you wanted to be my partner?” Her eyes finally met Jessica’s shyly and Jessica took in the sight of Taeyeon’s blushing cheeks. The sight made her feel butterflies in her stomach.

 

She fought back the urge to laugh and decided to tease the brunette. “Well,” she drawled and watched as Taeyeon perked up with hopefulness. “Hyoyeon and Seohyun both asked me already.”

 

“Oh,” Taeyeon deflated visibly and Jessica immediately felt bad. It looked like the brunette was about to cry as she watched her lips quiver.

 

“Well, I guess that makes sense,” Taeyeon started to speak, though her voice wavered from emotion and Jessica decided it was time to end the cruel joke.

 

“I said no to both of them.”

 

Taeyeon stopped talking mid sentence and stared at Jessica who smiled back amusedly.

 

“I was waiting for you to ask, dummy. Of course I’ll be your partner.”

 

Taeyeon blushed a bright red from her neck to the tip of her ears and Jessica laughed heartily, clapping her shocked still partner on the back, telling her to meet her in the usual spot under the tree by the lake. They had some planning to do. Jessica Jung did not lose.


 

 

 

 

“Why are you the driver?” Jessica asked as soon as Taeyeon took the reins to their chariot the night of the races. For some reason, this was the one thing that hadn’t come up in their many conversations about strategies to win. Both had assumed they would be the driver.

 

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow in question at the blonde. “Why wouldn’t I be? Besides, can you even drive a chariot?”

 

“Of course I can,” Jessica retorted indignantly crossing her chest.

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes. “A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter