Eight: 쉿

Small Things

Section One: [F e l i x] A Meeting and a Plan

Felix arrived home just minutes before his father was expected to get there. His mother was already seated at the table, making Felix's stomach lurch with the wracking silence. Felix sat slowly at the table across from his mother, checking his phone under the table before he heard the key and the doorknob turn. 

"Good evening, Father," Felix spoke, clearing his throat. His father said nothing in response, laying his bag on the chair and immediately taking a seat at the table next to Felix. 

Felix's mother leaned forward. "How were the meetings for the business contract?"

"They went well. They're allowing me to set up within the next week, and then I will set up a kick-off date with the incorporation." Felix's father leaned back in the chair, sighing. "And Felix, I was thinking about your piano studies. Since your sisters are attending schools out of Seoul, I was thinking if you would be interested in attending a higher piano education outside of Seoul as well?"

Felix didn't even pretend to take time to think about it. "No," he blurted loudly. "I mean- I like it here in Seoul, and I don't want to leave."

Mr. Lee tilted his head. "I thought you were eager to pursue your education in music? You wouldn't have to attend those early morning lessons if you left Seoul."

"No. No, I don't want to. I am not leaving Seoul." Felix declared. Felix thought of the musical possibilities if he stayed in Seoul. And, if he stayed in Seoul, he would actually have a chance at following his true dreams. If he left, he would just be forced to attend that one modified schedule school and be forced to practice the rest of the day, every day. On an instrument that he wasn't even interested in anymore. 

Felix's mother was able to read his expression right away, despite the drifting relationship between her and her son due to the lack of Felix being home as much as he used to. "Are you... not interested in piano anymore?"

Felix didn't say anything. He was afraid that his parents would notice if he lied. 

"Answer me." The tension between Felix and his parents was unbearable. Felix's knees shook as he stood up from the table. He stumbled away from the table, feeling his parents' glances practically drilling holes into his back and sending shocks down his spine. He couldn't think, but he knew one thing for sure. 

He was not, not going to leave Seoul.

Closing his door behind him, he slumped into his chair. He can't believe what he just did. He had just refused to answer his parents' questions and he just walked away. But they didn't stop him. They didn't stop him... It was a step towards Felix's dream. A small step. Felix leaned back, still astonished by the guts he had just had before he received a text from Chan. Chan! Felix eagerly picked up his phone, wondering how Chan was doing since he was released from the hospital. 

The text read: "Hey Felix! I'm doing well, I've been resting all day at the studio if Changbin and Jisung haven't told you yet. I was thinking about applying at the plaza cafe for a part-time job. Do you want to come with me tomorrow to fill out an application? I'm resuming my classes tomorrow too, so I'll be in the studio if you can drop by after your school. Please let me know! Thanks, mate."

It's been a while since Felix has heard the word "mate". It was comforting. But a part-time job? And classes? Just after recovering from a collapse? Felix replied, reading: "Hi Chan! I'm glad you're doing well. Are you sure about the part-time job? I mean wouldn't it be even more stress on top of the producing and the classes?"

Chan responded immediately. "No, it will be fine. I was able to space out my classes so that I can plan out my time and still have free time every day. And Jisung and Changbin offered to produce some of the tracks in the mixtape because they always wanted to try it, so I could just watch and help them try it out. Also, the money from the job can help me support my growing team and my new friends~!"

Felix knew that he couldn't get Chan to stop working so hard, so he decided that he would do his best to help Chan in any way he can as well. "Sure, I can make it after school, around 4:15."

Felix could almost hear Chan's cheerful voice through the text. "Thanks! We can spend some time in the studio first if you want to see Jisung and Changbin working on their own tracks too."

"Sounds great!" Felix thought about what he would do if his mother was to ever call him again to ask where he was. He figured that Changbin could answer for him again, but he wanted to make sure. Felix had Changbin's number, but he had never texted him individually. With the new-found momentum and spur of the moment, Felix had the urge to text Changbin about it. He slowly typed: "Hi Changbin, this is Felix. I was wondering if its okay for you to be answering the phone calls from my mom like before because she might be calling more often in the next few days to ask where I am and maybe you could say that we're still working on the group project?"

Felix pressed send before he had the second thought to not send the text. A few minutes later, he got a response. "Ok." Felix let out a breath he didn't know he was holding until he saw another text. "BUT:" Felix sighed deeply, assessing the text. It was in all caps (hah, great) and it had the colon after. Felix watched the three dots indicating that Changbin was typing for what seemed like an eternity. After a long moment of waiting, Felix finally received a text back. "But you have to go eat out with me sometime~" Felix was flustered by the sudden request. 

It's a fair deal though.

Felix had the chance to get an excuse away from his mother as well as getting to spend time with the handsome, talented rapper Changbin.

At this moment, Felix felt like the luckiest boy in the world.

 

Section Two: [F e l i x] If

Thursday after school, Felix headed to the studio more eagerly and energetically than usual. Early in the morning during his morning lesson, he was almost able to sense Mr. Sohn wondering why he was more alert, but Mr. Sohn was still half-awake as usual and he nearly dozed off in the middle of Felix's Chopin. When Felix arrived at the studio, Changbin opened the door before Felix was even able to raise his hand to knock.

"Hi, Felix!" Changbin smiled brightly. 

"Hey, Changbin!" Felix stepped into the studio. Jisung was sitting by the computer, twirling a pencil in his fingers before jotting down an idea in his notebook. Chan was sitting near Jisung, more leaned back than usual and looking a lot less tired than before. 

"Felix~!" Jisung waved widely. 

"Hi, Jisung. Hi, Chan," Felix greeted, dropped his bag on the floor. 

Chan gestured toward Jisung's notebook. "Here it is! Jisung working on his own track!" Chan grinned proudly. "He's working on two I believe. One on strength and one acknowledging his growth as a person. I'll help him more on it, so you can join Changbin at the other table. I believe he's working on something too." Felix nodded as he walked over to the small table that Changbin sat at. His notebook was flipped open to the same two pages that Felix had seen Changbin writing in when he was at his secret thinking room at school, except the second page was all the way filled up now. 

"Do Chan and Jisung know about the topic of your lyrics yet?" Felix asked, taking a seat next to Changbin. 

"No, not yet. I'll probably just keep it a secret until I record the rap and get help from Chan to layer it onto the track. I actually already began producing the background track that I want to rap this over," Changbin murmured, making sure Chan and Jisung didn't hear. Felix was about to ask if he could hear the background track that Changbin made, but Changbin had his headphones ready prior to Felix sitting down. It seemed like Changbin was anticipating to show Felix. Changbin pressed play. The track had a darker vibe, suiting for the lyrics that Changbin had written down. It started a bit more mellow, but it became more intense as it would get deeper into the rap. Felix nodded, and Changbin felt extremely accomplished that Felix liked it. 

Changbin got up from the chair as the produced background track ended. "Chan, can we use the other room to record?" The studio only had two rooms; the door opened straight to the main room with Chan's main recording equipment, a smaller table, and a couch. The other room was used for storing other equipment, but it also had better reverb just as Chan and Jisung had recorded Jisung's part in there before for the effect. Then there was a small bathroom. 

"Sure," Chan mumbled, preoccupied with rereading Jisung's lyrics and proceeding to power on his computer.

Felix followed Changbin into the other room. His phone rang, as his gaze shot over to Changbin. Taking out his phone from his pocket, he shyly handed it to Changbin who smiled a tiny bit before answering. He stated almost the same things as last time; Felix was working on a group project with him at the library. Changbin handed Felix's phone back to him after he ensured that Felix's mom was fully convinced.

"Let's eat together tomorrow, then~! Oh, and let's extend the deal. One meal per call," Changbin smiled, making Felix blush furiously as he nodded. Felix observed as Changbin set up the equipment for recording. 

"Felix, I need you to press this button if I signal you to. That means I want to redo that part. Okay?" Changbin asked. Felix rested his hand next to the button as Changbin gave a thumbs up. The recording had started. 

"...만약에 말야 이 말을 뱉고 난 후
뱉는 말들이 눈 앞에 일어난다면
상황따라 다르겠지만 어떨까 만약

소중한것들 소중한순간들
소중한 무언가를 잊거나 잃게 된다면
발버둥친다 한들 " ... 

"...What if after I spit these words, the words get up? It if doesn't follow according to the situation, what do I do? With all the precious things and precious moments"...

Felix watched and listened in reoccurring fascination, captivated by Changbin's flow and emotion radiating through the lyrics. Changbin ended up finishing the recording in only one take, making Felix wonder how he seemed so perfect. 

Felix stood, just staring at Changbin clean up and pick up a flash drive. "Let's take this to Chan." Felix followed Changbin out of the room. It was 6:50 pm when Changbin handed the flash drive to Chan.

"Thanks! I can't wait to listen to it~ Oh, Felix, we should head to the cafe now for the application," Chan suggested. "Jisung, Changbin- you guys okay with staying here? Jisung, you can work on your tracks. Changbin, you can review yours more if you want before I listen to it later." 

Jisung leaned back in his chair. "Ok!" Changbin simply nodded. 

"Let's go, Felix."

------------------------------------

Felix and Chan stepped into the cafe. Felix noticed Chan's face lighting up at the sight of a singer by the performance area. He was singing Day6. And his voice, smooth, almost like honey. There were only a few people in there, and only one other person's full attention was on the singer. A boy, who looked a little younger than Felix, sat closest to the performance area, swaying back and forth, his hands on a pink pencil pouch. Chan picked up an application as Felix moved forward to the performance area, taking a seat near the other spectator. Chan set down his bag and filled out the application next to Felix as the singer finished up the song. Placing down the microphone when he was done, he took a sip of water before walking toward the other spectator. 

"Yo, Jeongin, can you hand me my application?" the singer asked. Chan turned around when he heard the word "application", making Woojin notice him.

"Oh, hi Chan!" Woojin waved.

"Hi, Woojin!" Chan smiled. Felix looked over to Woojin and Jeongin. 

"Hi, I'm Felix. Nice to meet you," Felix introduced himself to Jeongin. 

"I'm Jeongin. It's nice to meet you, too."

Woojin walked toward Felix. "Hey, I don't think I've met you before. I'm Woojin."

"I'm Felix." They shook hands as Chan introduced himself to Jeongin. 

Chan pointed to Woojin's application, holding out his own as well. "Oh, I'm applying here too! I hope we both get hired." 

"Yeah, I hope so too!" The two walked towards the barista to submit their applications.

------------------------------------

Back at the studio, Changbin and Jisung were slacking off. 

"You," Jisung started, laughing, "You totally have a crush on Felix, don't you?" Changbin didn't respond, not wanting to deny it but not wanting to agree willingly either. 

"Oh come on. Don't hide it. It was obvious when you made that call for the meal deal, and he might have noticed that you were trying to show off in front of him."

"Hey, that wasn't showing off!"

"Yes, it was."

"No, it wasn't!"

Jisung was laughing at Changbin, making Changbin laugh a little too. 

"Ah. I think I left my flannel at the annex. And I still have Minho's hoodie." Jisung pointed to Minho's hoodie, which he had neatly and carefully folded. Changbin grabbed Minho's phone.

"Hey! Give me my phone!" Jisung lunged toward Changbin in attempt to steal his phone back, but Changbin stood up quickly. Jisung chased Changbin around the studio, and Changbin was able to type something on Jisung's phone that Jisung wasn't able to catch a glance of. Finally, Changbin tapped exaggeratedly and handed Jisung his phone. Jisung read what Changbin had just sent. It was a text to Minho. Great. Changbin giggled as he saw the anticipation form on Jisung's face as he read it. The text read: "Hi, this is Jisung. Is it ok if I stop by the annex tomorrow? I believe that I left my flannel there. And also I still have your gray hoodie if you want it back too. Please let me know!"

Jisung glared over at Changbin as he received a response.  "Sure, that's fine. You can stop by the annex anytime after 4. Thanks." 

Changbin posed triumphantly. "You're welcome."

 

Section Three: [C h a n] Job

Chan arrived at the cafe around 4:30 pm after his classes, as he had received a call to come to the cafe as soon as possible. When he arrived, the manager of the cafe was sitting with Woojin already and waved Chan over. Chan took a seat next to Woojin, across the table from the manager.

"Well, welcome to your new job at this plaza cafe! You two will undergo training together. From your application, Chan, I saw that you were interested in brewing. Is that right?" the manager questioned. 

"Yes, that's correct," Chan replied, shifting in his seat.

The manager looked over to Woojin. "And Woojin, you were interested in bakery production?" 

Woojin nodded. "Yes, I am." 

The manager wrote something down on his clipboard before looking up, smiling. "Great! Meet me in the back room in about fifteen minutes and we can begin training." The manager walked into the cafe kitchen. Chan scanned the cafe, admiring the atmosphere again. Then, he noticed Felix and Changbin walking in through the door. 

"Chan!" Felix waved. "Did you get the job?"

"Yeah," Chan chirped. "I did. Woojin did too!"

Felix looked around at the cafe. "Aw, that's so cool that you guys get to work together here." Felix looked over at Woojin. "Ah, Changbin, do you know Woojin  yet?" Felix nudged the rapper, bringing him back to his senses from staring at the strawberry cake pops. 

Changbin stepped toward Woojin. "Hi, I'm Changbin. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Woojin." They shook hands. 

Chan looked over at Changbin. "Changbin is part of 3RACHA, our rap trio. There's Jisung too- maybe I could get him to come here sometime with me so that you can meet him."

"Oh yeah, 3RACHA! You gave me your card before, but I still wasn't able to listen to the tracks yet. I'll try to listen to them as soon as possible though. It sounds pretty cool," Woojin told. After a while, Chan and Woojin left to go to the back room of the cafe while Changbin and Felix began to walk across the plaza to a boba place.

------------------------------------

It was also at that time, 4:30, when Jisung got to the annex. He had his bag, his phone, and Minho's hoodie, which was still neatly folded. He looked around before knocking on the annex door in the CD section of the department store. Minho opened the door and walked out, locking the annex door. 

"Hi," Minho smiled as the two began walking out of the department store. Minho handed Jisung's flannel back and Jisung handed Minho his gray hoodie.

"Hi, Minho," Jisung greeted. "Oh, I just wanted to say- uh, thank you for comforting me at the hospital. It made me feel a lot better to be able to talk- and to, um, fall asleep on your shoulder."  No way. Jisung had just said that out loud. He panicked as he rushed to find something else to add in efforts to make it less awkward.

"And it was comfy." Jisung wanted to dig a ditch and crawl into it right then and there. He actually told Minho his face, that his shoulder was comfy and it made him feel better. The silence seemed like forever to Jisung, before Minho started laughing a little bit. Jisung turned red as Minho placed his hand on Jisung's shoulder.  

"You're welcome. My shoulder and I will be here for you anytime."