Three: Runner's High

Small Things

Section One: [F e l i x] You don't have to be alone. 

Jisung slowly swung the door open and stumbled in, his eyes moving from Felix to Minho and staying on Minho. He bowed, embarrassed, his cheeks turning red. He was holding new CDs and two full bucket containers of cheeseballs.

"Hi Felix~," Jisung noticed Minho staring at him. "Oh, I'm sorry- I was just buying CDs and I happened to hear one of my favorite songs.." Jisung stuttered. Minho scanned Jisung blankly again with his eyes before gesturing for him to put down his things.

"I'm Minho, Felix's friend." Felix was content to hear someone in Korea finally call Felix a friend.

Jisung glanced surprisedly at Felix before looking back at Minho. "Hi, I'm Jisung." 

"You know Felix?" Minho asked Jisung.

"Yeah. Well, uh, we met yesterday when I rapped at the Ugly Junction with my two other friends. Apparently, he found a CD that we lost and stuff," Jisung replied, cheeks still red. 

Minho flashed a smile, making Jisung's stomach turn. "So you're a rapper?" 

"Yeah."

"Pretty cool." Jisung pretended to check the expiration date of the cheeseballs as a cover-up to look away and blush. 

Minho took a deep breath before recognizing something. "You go to my high school, don't you?" Jisung's heart stopped. Did he notice his walk past the dance room, discreetly peeking through the window? 

"Yeah, I do.. go to your high school," Jisung answered. He then remembered what just happened, and brought it up in hopes to change the subject. "Felix, you can dance!" Jisung exclaimed. Felix grinned. Jisung opened his mouth to say more, but his phone rang.

"Hello?" The other line was audible from the quietness of the room and the volume that the other end was speaking at.

"Does it take that long to buy cheeseballs and a CD?!" 

Felix figured that it sounded like Changbin. Jisung flinched from the loudness of the voice.

"I'm sorry, Bin! I ran into Felix and Minho."

"Minho?Who- Ow!" Rustling was heard from the line as Chan's voice came on. "Is Felix available? He could join us now if he wants." 

"Felix, you available?" Jisung questioned, holding the phone away from his face. Felix nodded. Walking toward the table, Felix grabbed his bag. 

Felix looked over at Minho. "Sorry... I need to leave now. I hope to see you around sometime, maybe?" Felix said with a sense of guilt. 

"Wait," Minho got up and stumbled towards Felix. He took a tissue from his bundle and etched a string of numbers on it. He noticed Jisung watching him, so he repeated his action and gently ripped the tissue into two pieces. "My number. In case you guys might need it one day." Felix and Jisung each accepted the pieces before taking their things.

"Do you want me to ask the others if you can join, Minho? You don't have to be alone," Jisung offered, as he picked up the cheeseballs container in one hand. 

"I don't want to cause too much trouble for you guys. I'll be fine. See you around," Minho sighed, walking towards the table.

Jisung and Felix waved, leaving Minho by himself again.

 

Section Two: [C h a n g b i n] Studio

Changbin waited for Felix and Jisung to arrive. He knows that he just met Felix last night, but why was his heart beating so fast? 

Chan was writing in the notebook. "Bin, can you get four cokes from the mini fridge?" Changbin got up quickly and opened the handle to the fridge, taking out three.

"There's only three," Changbin murmured. 

Chan squinted. "It must have been Jisung who drank the fourth to last one... And he just went to the department store today too!" Chan clenched his fist but immediately relaxed it as he heard a knock at the studio door and got up to open it.

"Hey guys," Chan welcomed, holding open the door for Felix and Jisung. Changbin watched as Felix fumbled his hand through his bag, looking for his phone. Jisung was quick to flop onto the couch and pop open the cheeseballs. 

Chan cleared his throat. "So Felix, this is our studio. Well, it's actually a storage unit that was lent to me by my parents. We record our tracks here. This is my laptop, where I mix and layer. Our lyric notebook is right here. Right now, we are recording our second to last track that we plan to put in our first mixtape." Jisung loudly flicked off the cover of the cheeseballs and held the container up to Felix. Felix took a few as he continued listening to Chan blabber about the other belongings on his desk. Felix put his bag down next to the couch, going on one knee. Looking at the cans of coke on the table, he raised his hand to grab one before he noticed that there were only three, and he figured that they were for the trio.

"Go ahead," Changbin offered. Felix smiled a bit before taking a can.

"Ah, thank you," he beamed, opening the can. 

Chan turned back around. "Bin first!" Chan beckoned as Changbin got up and walked towards the desk. Chan pulled the microphone close to Changbin and tilted the notebook towards him. Changbin mouthed the lines on the notebook as he tapped his fingers on the desk rhythmically. After a few seconds, he nodded. Chan started the audio recording, and Changbin started rapping his verse. Felix watched, mesmerized by the shorter boy's raspy rapping tone. He emphasized some syllables, adding his own style to the verse, making Chan smile approvingly. Felix looked over to his right to see Jisung leaning forward as well. Changbin finished cleanly before hearing Felix breathe out. 

"Nice work, Bin," Chan chimed as he dragged the audio file towards the software on the laptop screen. Changbin turned to the side and made eye contact with Felix, making Felix blush. 

"Ooh, I just thought of something," Chan blurted. "Jisung, we can record your verse in the other room so that your lyrical has more reverb."

Jisung hopped up and waddled towards Chan. "Let's try it!" Ripping out the page with Jisung's verse on it, they took Chan's laptop into the other room, leaving Felix and Changbin together in the main room of the studio."

Felix nervously took a sip from his Coke can. "I really liked your verse, Changbin." Felix tensed up again as Changbin got up from Chan's desk and sat next to Felix on the couch.

"Thanks," he smiled. "But, Felix, I still haven't heard you rap yet." Felix looked around a bit, anxiously. "Oh, I can show you one of the verses I'm writing if you want." Felix's face lit up as he saw Changbin take out his own notebook from his bag and bring it over towards Felix. Felix took a look at the lyrics and started mouthing them.

" ... 소중한것들 소중한순간들

소중한 무언가를 잊거나 잃게 된다면

발버둥친다 한들"...

Changbin sighed. "I haven't told Chan or Jisung about this yet. I'm writing lyrics for a track that I hope I can put in the second mixtape, but I feel like these lyrics are too personal. What do you think?" Felix thought about it for a second. 

"...The precious things, the precious moments

If I forget or lose something precious

I'll be struggling..."

"I like the lyrics. Ah, but Bin, what do you mean by 'precious'?" Felix wanted to know. Changbin felt his heart skip a beat when the younger addressed him as "Bin". 

"Um, it's the things that mean a lot to me. Like-" Changbin hesitated. Could he trust Felix with this? He gazed at Felix, inspecting the way his gentle eyes looked at him, truthfully and genuinely willing to know what Changbin meant. Changbin decided to continue. "Like my family, and my friends. My parents told me last year that they wanted me to study abroad after I graduate so that I can become a businessman when I get older and carry on my father's business. But... I said no. I told them I wanted to stay in Korea, and I told them that I wanted to rap. They were mad at first, of course, but they learned to understand eventually. The precious things I don't want to leave... well, I feel like Chan and Jisung are wonderful friends and it's great to rap with them. I feel as if our paths to becoming ourselves just started. I also feel like you're a really easy person to talk to. It's nice to have you around, Felix."

Felix blushed and looked at Changbin. "It's nice to have you as a friend too, Changbin."

Just after Felix told Changbin that, Jisung and Chan walked back into the room, Chan grinning. "We got this!"

Changbin and Felix stood up, walking over to Chan. "Can we hear it?" Changbin asked. 

"I'll add it to the track in its place first," Chan said with a proud smile. Jisung sat back down on the couch, finally opening his own can of Coke and sipping it. After a few minutes, Chan finished adding the part to the track and he played it out loud. Jisung's part really was accentuated by Chan's idea, and his flow sounded great.

"What time is it? I'm planning to head to the cafe," Chan said quietly. Time. Time! Felix quickly looked at his watch. 2:30. 

"I think I need to head home now," Felix trailed, beginning to pick up his bag and Coke can. The trio nodded and proceeded to walk with him to the door. Felix gently opened the door and stepped out, waving to the three. 

"See you later, guys," Felix waved. 

"Hope you can come again sometime, Felix," Chan stated before closing the door.

Jisung watched as Chan turned back around. Chan began to speak. "Can you stay here with Changbin and watch over the studio? I'll probably go do some errands. Like buying Coke." Chan squinted playfully at Jisung, making Changbin laugh. After preparing his bag, Chan made his way out the door, leaving Changbin and Jisung some time to work on lyrics.

And some time to eat cheeseballs.

 

Section Three: [C h a n] Cafe

It was 8:27 when Chan finished his errands; going to the grocery, dropping bags of rice off to his parents, submitting job applications. He arrived at the cafe, finally. He loved the atmosphere at this time. Sometimes there were live performances, and the cafe wasn't filled with people working on their computers around this time. It was also not crowded because people stayed at home, preparing for the work-week ahead of them. Chan walked in to see a microphone stand and stool being set up. Speakers were set off to the side at the corner. Another live performance, he thought. He went up to the barista, reciting his order, and then he took a seat at a nearby table, between the barista and the performance area. A boy walked up, close to Chan's age, and took a seat at the stool. 

"Hello everyone. The first song I'll be singing tonight is 'Lost Stars'" the boy stated. Chan's ears perked up when he heard the boy speak English. He then remembered that Felix could also speak English, but Chan hasn't heard him yet. Jisung did also speak English but he never used it as often. Chan watched as the boy started singing. His voice was practically angelic and he glided into falsetto flawlessly. His tone quality was kind and welcoming, and despite just seeing him for the first time, Chan wanted to talk to him. The boy finished singing the song before Chan turned around to see his drink on the high table. He turned to pick it up and slipped a $5 note to the barista before looking around and seeing that there were only a few people in the cafe. Picking up his drink, he brought it to a table much closer to the performance area, and he got the singer to glance at him for a few seconds before starting his next song. Chan heard the instrumental of Day6's "I Smile" begin, and the moment the singer's voice struck the serene silence, Chan's heart fluttered again. It was his voice that was just so soothing.  

It was 8:37 when Chan noticed that he was the only one left in the cafe listening to the singer. The barista was there too but was cleaning the kitchen up in the back. The boy was turning off the microphone when he noticed Chan staring at him. Chan stood up holding his drink. Taking off his watch and leaving it on the table, he rubbed his wrist before walking up to the singer. The singer thought that he was getting up the leave, but was startled when he looked back to see Chan up close to the performance area. 

"Uh, hello," the singer shyly said.

Chan eyed the singer. "You have a beautiful voice." The singer smiled a little at the compliment.

"Thank you. Oh- I'm Woojin. It's nice to meet you," Woojin nodded.

"My name's Chan. It's nice to meet you too." Chan's phone buzzed. A text notification showed up from Jisung, reading: "I just woke up and I found out that Changbin ate all my cheeseballs while I was napping. Please come back to the studio as soon as possible!! >_<"

"I need to leave now, but I hope to see you around," Chan quietly announced. Chan walked towards the exit as Woojin kept his eyes on Chan. He awkwardly waved as Chan nodded back, opening the door and disappearing into the darkness. 

Woojin walked back, scanning the tables before noticing that Chan left his watch on the table he was sitting at prior to speaking to him. 

Picking and inspecting the watch, he heard the door close again. Smaller footsteps were heard along with some rustling. 

"Hi, Woojin~!" He heard a voice say.