Sixteen: Matryoshka

Small Things

Section One: [W o o j i n] Eggs

"Morning, Jeong. How do you feel?" Woojin rushed to Jeongin's side in the studio from the table once he noticed that Jeongin was awake. Jisung let Jeongin borrow his treasured inflatable mattress so that he wouldn't have to sleep on the couch and Jisung promised to get Jeongin a container of cheeseballs when he had the time to stop by. 

Jeongin rubbed his eyes. "A bit better. My throat still hurts a little. Today is..."

"Wednesday. It's Wednesday."

"Right." Jeongin lazily sat up, grabbing for a bottle of water and pointing the heater that Felix left on for him towards his face. "Oh, so we're putting our stuff into the suite tomorrow?"

Woojin nodded. "Do you have anything you need from home? I already got my stuff."

"Mmm, no. I don't have anything specific that I need for me to survive... Except for food and water and stuff..." Jeongin rambled.

Woojin laughed and ruffled Jeongin's hair. "What do you want for breakfast? Seungmin said he wished that he could cook you his favorite soup recipe, but he didn't have time this morning. Maybe tomorrow before we leave for the suite? Everyone was kind of in a hurry this morning."

"Hmm... Eggs?" Jeongin asked.

Woojin nodded and moved towards the studio mini fridge. "They have eggs here. Chan left out a mini gas burner stove so I'll try to use it, I guess." Woojin set the burner stove on the small table, and he turned it on after several tries and multiple texts to Chan, asking him how to use it. Cracking two eggs over the stove, Jeongin leaned back on the couch, inhaling the morning aroma. 

"Almost ready, Jeong."

"Okay." 

Jeongin adjusted his sitting position on the couch as Woojin walked over holding the warm eggs on a garnished plate and a cup of milk. 

Jeongin laughed. "You didn't have to make it so fancy! You know that I would literally finish it in thirty seconds if my throat didn't hurt."

Woojin shrugged, patting the younger's back. "Just make sure to chew well."

Jeongin rolled his eyes, smiling, as he took the first bite. "Mmm. Tastes amazing. Thanks, Wooj."

"You're welcome. Anything else you want?"

Jeongin was stuffing his mouth, but he remembered to stop himself to chew thoroughly. "I have a question."

"What is it?" Woojin leaned back on the couch.

"Chan told me that you're his boyfriend and that he loves you. Is that true?"

Woojin's turned away from Jeongin, hiding his furiously blushing expression from Jeongin, who was snickering. Jeongin's head tilted to the side. "And I don't think I was supposed to tell you that. Oops." Jeongin watched as Woojin buried his face in a pillow. "Are you embarrassed about it?"

"Not really," Woojin mumbled from the pillow. Jeongin finished up the last few bites of his breakfast.

Woojin finally looked up from the pillowing, a bright smile forming on his face. "Because I love him too."

 

Section Two: [F e l i x] Changbin

"Felix, can you stay with the trio while I pick up some lunch?" Minho asked. It was convenient to have the annex located in the department store, for there were many food places closeby. 

Felix sat down on the chair by the speakers, eyeing the Changbin, Chan, and Jisung who were crowded around Chan's laptop. "Sure. Did you ask them what they want for lunch?"

"They agreed on instant ramen, but Jisung said he wants cheesecake too. I told him that maybe we can go later." Minho picked up one of his bundles, containing a small tray that he could use to carry the instant ramen cups back to the annex and his wallet. "Ok, I'll be back in a few minutes." Felix waved Minho off as he directed his attention back to the trio. 

Chan sighed. "Okay, we finished rehearsing '힘이 돼 ', so Changbin would be next. Changbin, can we run through and make some suggestions and corrections?" Changbin nodded cooperatively, taking the corded mic that Jisung handed him. "Gimme a sec..." Chan leaned in towards his computer. "Let me organize this file first." Jisung knelt down, watching Chan.

Felix's heart urged him to melt away in softness as he sunk down into the chair against the wall. He felt tired and his eyes were drooping until he saw a silhouette approaching him.

"Hi," Changbin smiled, pulling a chair up against Felix's chair.

"Huh?"

"I said 'hi'," Changbin laughed. "You must be tired, huh?" Felix shrugged and moved his head to rest it on Changbin's shoulder.

Felix nodded, rubbing his cheek against Changbin's tan turtleneck sweater. "Ooh, soft."

"I have something for you," Changbin remembered. He reached into the right pocket of his black jeans and pulled out a small, pink box. Opening it, there were two matching necklaces; a sleek gold necklace with a crescent moon charm attached to it, and a similar one with a small star attached to it. "This is for you." Changbin took out the star necklace as Felix slowly sat up, and Changbin gently attached it around Felix's neck. "Because you're my star," Changbin declared. 

Felix chuckled. "You're cheesy~" Reaching over, Felix grabbed the box from Changbin and took the moon necklace. Holding Changbin's shoulders, he wrapped his arms around Changbin briskly before attaching the necklace around Changbin's neck. Before Changbin could turn back around to face Felix, Felix wrapped his arms once again, holding on in a back hug.

"Food's here!" Minho opened the door, and Felix and Jisung hopped towards Minho, getting a glimpse of the instant ramen he brought on the tray. The convenience store allowed customers to cook the instant ramen there, which was an added bonus since the boys were practically always at the studio or at the annex. Chan and Changbin moved forward, helping Minho put the ramen cups on the table. Sitting on the chairs around the table, the group began to dig in.

As they ate, Chan raised his hand to get the others' attention. "Minho and Felix, I have something to tell you." Chan cleared his throat. "So there's going to be scouting crews for entertainment companies at all the rounds of the whole competition, and I agreed with Jisung and Changbin that if ever one of us in the trio gets scouted, we won't accept the position."

"What?" Felix blurted. "But- that... that could a big step towards the future, couldn't it?"

Minho looked down. "I don't want the rest of us to be the reason why you three don't want to be in an entertainment company. You guys have the potential." Jisung and Changbin looked towards Chan, unintentionally pressuring him into speaking for them. 

Chan stared at his ramen. "Well I mean, I doubt you guys would want to audition..."

"I would!" Felix's expression brightened. "I'll audition if Changbin is scouted." The boys at the table all looked at Felix, surprised at his eagerness.

"You sure?" Chan asked. 

Minho hesitated before speaking. "I would," he stated firmly.

Chan's tired and worried expression turned into a small smile. "Really?"

Felix put his hand on Chan's shoulder. "Really. The trio does so much for us that if you guys make it then I'm pretty sure that the rest of us would at least try too. I mean, we all either sing, dance, or rap right?" Felix couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. It felt like just yesterday that he was a pianist trapped in the confinements of his own home.

"Right."

 

Section Three: [C h a n] Relax

All of them ended up having all their stuff ready by four in the afternoon. The trio, Minho, and Felix went back to the studio to meet with Woojin and Jeongin, and then Seungmin and Hyunjin arrived at the studio too after their classes. Changbin and Jisung agreed that they were tired and they didn't want to strain their voices, so they told Chan and called it a day.

"Hey, is there anything to do? I want to go outside," Jeongin whined.

Seungmin took a seat on the couch by the younger. "Hey, I promised you my soup recipe, right?"

"I think so."

"Wait, Seungmin. I remember Jisung telling me that he wanted cheesecake," Minho recalled.

Seungmin's looked happily at Jisung. "Hey, I know a cake place by the beach."

"Can we go?" Jisung turned to Chan.

Chan shrugged. "The beach in the Winter? Hmm... sure? We all deserve a break anyway, don't we?" Jisung cheered as the group grabbed their bags. 

---------------------------

"You guys have matching necklaces?" Jeongin asked, walking next to Changbin and Felix. They had arrived at the place that Seungmin recommended, a seaside sweet shop. By the shop was a boardwalk, that Hyunjin and Seungmin wanted to take pictures at after they got some cake. Felix nodded happily, holding up the small star charm. He reached over and pulled Changbin's moon necklace that was tucked under the neck of his shirt. Jeongin rolled his eyes jokingly.

"Hey, look! They sell pair drinks! This would look so cute in a picture," Seungmin pointed, getting Hyunjin's attention.

Hyunjin walked over to the small drink stand outside of the sweet shop. "Yeah, let's get these. We could get a picture with our food on the boardwalk!" Hyunjin and Seungmin bought drinks as the others entered the shop, greeted by a sweet aroma, dominantly of citrus and cake mixture. Jisung grabbed Minho's hand and skipped over to the display case, where a whole cheesecake was on display. 

Jisung squeezed Minho's hand tightly. "Minho! They have sauces that go with the cake too! Ugh~ Imagine a cheesecake slice with chocolate drizzle~" Minho sighed at the younger's cute reaction to the food, and he stared at the display case with Jisung, feeling his hunger slowly increasing. 

"Let's order, guys. I'll pay." Chan held up his wallet.

Woojin fished out his wallet from his bag. "I insist on helping."

Chan beamed, his dimples showing. "Okay, you guys say your orders first." Seungmin and Hyunjin walked into the shop to meet the others with their matching drinks, and they ordered. Chan gently pulled Woojin aside as the others came up to the counter and stared in awe at the sweets displayed in front of them.

"Hey, Woojin," Chan spoke softly. "I've been meaning to tell you for a while now, but I'm not sure if you already know, but... I really, really like you."

Woojin hid his smirk, trying to act like he didn't know. "I like you too."

Chan sighed, holding his arms open for a hug. As Woojin hugged Chan, Chan leaned his head over Woojin's shoulder. "So you're my boyfriend now."

"You're so direct~" Woojin chuckled. 

"I am?"

"It's okay," Woojin gently released Chan, leaving one arm around his shoulder. "It's cute."

Jeongin beckoned the two over to order and pay. "Thanks, Chan and Woojin for paying!" Jeongin started clapping quietly, prompting the others to cheer along. 

After Chan and Woojin ordered and paid, all of them took their food to a table on the boardwalk shaded by an umbrella.

"Chan," Seungmin called. "Can you take a picture of me and Hyunjin?"

"Sure. It's cloudy though and it might start snowing soon so we should finish up our food soon."

Seungmin and Hyunjin leaned against the wooden railing of the boardwalk, showing their matching drinks. Chan snapped a photo of the two, handing the phone back to Seungmin.

"Thanks, Chan!"

"No problem." Chan walked back over to the table, sitting in between Jeongin and Woojin. "Jeongin, you're not cold?"

"No. But I'm a little sleepy."

"We should head back quickly when everyone is done eating. You can't stay out for too long or you'll feel worse."

"Okay." Jeongin felt content. Looking around him, at all of his friends having a fun time; he felt belonging and loved.

Jisung finished his cheesecake slice when Minho was only halfway, and then Jisung leaned his head on Minho's shoulder. Minho continued eating his cheesecake, the soft hair of the younger slightly tickling his neck. "Do you want your second jacket, Jisung?"

Upon not hearing a response, the eight others noticed that Jisung was fast asleep.