Twelve: 국산 바나나

Small Things

Section One: [F e l i x] Junction

3RACHA and another trio sat at designated seats at the side as the first trio took the stage. Each trio was performing three tracks. 3RACHA was going last, so that gave them some time to prepare themselves mentally and keep an eye on how the other trios performed. Chan tilted his head as the track started, and one trio member starting rapping significantly louder and more parts than the other trio members. Chan shook his head. To him, the stage presence was pretty good, but it seemed like it was one rapper with two "side people" rather than the members trading off equal parts. Chan looked over to see Changbin, more focused on analyzing the flow. Since Changbin was more detailed on articulation and punctuation of the rap flow, he watched their pronunciation and stress on important syllables that helped the rap carry through. He nodded at Chan, as to tell him that the trio's attention towards punctuation was good. Chan reached over and squeezed Changbin's shoulder as if to tell him not to be nervous, and that he would be fine. 

Jisung, on the other hand, was trying to focus on the flow and lyricality of the trio, but he couldn't hear it. To him, it sounded like a bunch of words just strung together because they rhymed. He agreed with Changbin that the punctuation was good, but he didn't hear as much emotion. When the three tracks came to an end, the trio glared towards 3RACHA and the waiting trio. 

One of the first trio's members stepped down from the performance area as the next trio took the stage. "Did we set the bar too high for you? Or maybe the bar was already too high!" Changbin knew that he was talking about his height. The tall rapper shoved past him as they took a spot towards the side. The next track began with the next group. Their emotion was better, but one of the members stumbled a bit during their verse. The second track was fine, and the third went smoothly. Before they knew it, it was 3RACHA's turn. Chan nodded as Changbin and Jisung followed closely behind him up to the performance area. Felix was watching closely from the audience, reminded of the first time he met the three of them. Minho smiled softly at Jisung, making Jisung relax a bit. Chan lowered his hood and nodded at the operator to start the track. 힘이 돼 first. That meant that all three of them would rap for the first track, Changbin would do "If", and then Jisung would do "I See", as solos that would hopefully catch the audience's attention. Since Chan had helped them produce their tracks, Chan would be able to sit back and watch as Jisung and Changbin would get their time to show off their individual talents for the competition. 

Changbin started first, his precision to articulation making the other trios turn their heads. Woojin nodded at Changbin, looking over at the other trios who only now seemed to show their nervousness. Hyunjin and Seungmin were impressed by Jisung's flow. Minho was smiling wide for the entire verse. Jeongin thought that it was amazing. They finished the track cleanly, and Chan and Jisung jumped off the stage. They took seats by the track operator and Changbin signaled for the track operator to start. His track was his usual dark-theme, and he would finally be able to show Felix the live version of the track that he had spent so long writing and planning for. It was really hard work even just for one track; Changbin had wondered how Chan always produces so many in such a short deadline. 

Although the lyrics were worrying and cold, Felix understood Changbin's meaning and he was proud of Changbin's work. Changbin's eyes brushed against Felix a few times as he rapped. Changbin had also finished "If" without a stumble, and he switched with Jisung. When Jisung's track started, he started with his soft, lyrical flow that made the main rapper of the other trio that had teased Changbin tilt his head. Chan nodded his head along proudly. It was Minho's second time hearing this track; he had heard it only when listening through 3RACHA's mixtapes when he was looking for a track to make the choreography to. Minho was just paying attention to the lyrics now.

"I have to struggle for those who support me

If I'm falling into huge puddles of mud

Even if it me down, I'll swim up"...

Minho was lost in the passion that Jisung had shown through his lyrics. He felt lucky. He was lucky to have Jisung in his life. When Jisung finished the track, the announcer went onto reviewing the performances with a panel. The trios sat at the side as the audience buzzed amongst each other, discussing opinions. 

A few minutes later, the announcer came back onto the stage. "We have reached a decision. The winning trio will move onto a preliminary round taking place at the Mirror Complex here in Seoul. Entertainment company scout crews are known to be present and on watch during rounds at the Mirror Complex. Got it? The winner of the Ugly Junction monthly trio competition is..."

"3RACHA!" The six of the boys cheered the loudest out of the whole audience, as Chan, Changbin, and Jisung smiled at each other. "You guys will be going to the Mirror Complex preliminaries! More information will be emailed to you. Thank you to all the trios and have a good night." Changbin could almost feel the angry glares of the other trios piercing through the back of his head, but he didn't bother to look back. Felix was grinning, despite knowing that he would eventually have to confront his mom again about going to support the trio at the preliminaries. 

It will turn out okay, won't it?

 

Section Two: [C h a n g b i n] Food

The nine boys decided to stop by and eat somewhere to celebrate. Seungmin and Hyunjin spent the longest time introducing and getting to know the others in the group. While waiting for the food, they were able to properly meet one another before everyone was familiar with each other. They also spent time talking about their aspirations, which were somewhat similar; they all enjoyed or were interested in singing, dancing, or rapping. 

"So you and Woojin work at the cafe at the plaza together?" Hyunjin asked Chan. 

"Yeah."

"That's kind of cute."

"Huh?"

"Nothing."

Seungmin and Jeongin had started a tic-tac-toe tournament on a Kid's Menu that they secretly took. Minho and Jisung were bonding through multiplayer battle arena games on their phones. When the food arrived, they ate in silence, celebrating 3RACHA's first step in their journeys. Honestly, Chan didn't have a plan. Chan didn't know specifically what he wanted to do after passing this monthly competition, but he decided that he would just stick to whatever happens and hope for the best. Changbin and Jisung were still taking their classes, but they weren't sure which path to take after either. Chan was taking his college classes too, but he was sure that his professor wouldn't mind if he missed classes to attend the preliminaries and possibly some rounds beyond that. 

"Wait so... how's it going about the whole situation with your parents?" Seungmin questioned Hyunjin as they were coming close to finishing their meals. 

Hyunjin sighed, wiping his lips with a napkin. "Sometimes when I go places with them, or if I'm in public, they pretend that they don't know me. It's kind of the same as before... they're still unaccepting." Seungmin nodded sorrowfully. He still felt the determination to help Hyunjin. He didn't want it to become worse. 

"I still want to help you," he told Hyunjin quietly. The soft smile that Hyunjin had given Seungmin after he said that; it was a small yet beautiful expression that Seungmin hoped to never forget. It was something that Seungmin wished he could see more often. 

"Do you want to get some dessert?" Changbin asked Felix. "We'll go straight home after." Home. Changbin had directly referred to the studio as Felix's "home". Felix nodded. They stood up and moved towards the edge of the table. 

Changbin got Chan's attention. "Felix and I will head out first to get some dessert somewhere. We'll be right back to the studio after. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

Felix and Changbin waved back at the group sitting around the table, hearing a chorus of bye's before they left the food place. 

 

Section Three: [C h a n g b i n] Yakitori

"Magical, isn't it?" Changbin led Felix through beaded door hangers into a small Yakitori shop. Lighting gently illuminated the room, and the music was calming.

"Absolutely enchanting."

"Agreed." The two boys walked up the counter and specified two orders of Yakitori. Felix read through the descriptions of the ingredients on the wall as Changbin looked at Felix and his reflection on the glossy part of the menu, where the reflection was unclear but still reflective. 

"You did amazing, Changbin!" Felix hugged Changbin's arm. 

"Thank you!"

The yakitori arrived in small boxes, so Felix and Changbin decided to eat at one of the high tables against a wall. 

Changbin opened the box and admired the aroma of the yakitori. "You know how the preliminaries are at the Mirror Complex? I'm glad it's literally walking distance from here. I wonder who the other trios will be."

"Mhmm." Felix listened to Changbin as he took the first bite. "Well... you know how my mom's probably still mad at me? Should I go back and try to apologize... or?"

"No, Felix. You're staying with me. I don't want her to hurt you." They continued eating in silence. 

Once they finished, they placed the skewers back into the box and disposed of it at the nearby trash can. "Let's go?"

"Yeah, let's go."

They walked out of the shop, and Felix walked alongside Changbin. Felix just followed the direction that Changbin was going; it seemed like Changbin was taking Felix somewhere specific, but Felix decided not to ask and to just let Changbin lead them wherever he was going. 

A lake. Changbin and Felix had walked to a lake. The place was quiet and serene; empty but not eerie. A gazebo lighted by a few lanterns lay towards the side of the lake, and a dock was in sight. 

Felix was in awe. "Wow. It's so pretty here."

"You've never been here before?"

"Nope."

"Well, I like to come here at night for night vibe inspiration, I guess? I thought it would be nice to bring you here."

"Why me?"

"Hmmm. Well, I feel like you just suit it. I feel like I could tell you anything, Felix. I'm so lucky."

Felix held Changbin's hand as they walked around towards the gazebo.

Changbin took out his phone. "Do you want to take a picture? We can send it to Chan. Jisung and Chan might still be with the others though."

"Sure." 

Felix placed his hands on Changbin's shoulders and pressed his cheek in Changbin's hair. Felix did a peace sign and beamed, and Changbin couldn't help but laugh.

Felix turned his head toward Changbin. "What?"

"Nothing. You're just cute." Changbin extended his arm and took a few photos. After sending one to Chan, they continued walking. Changbin's hand was wrapped around Felix's as they came under the gazebo and leaned on the bars. 

"This is fun." Felix looked up at the sky, speckled with bright stars. "Is it cold?" Before Changbin could respond, Felix took off his jacket and draped it over Changbin's shoulders. "Here."

Changbin threw his arms around Felix. "But then you'll be cold."

"I'll be fine."

Changbin walked around the gazebo, taking pictures. He tilted his camera towards Felix and began to take photos of Felix too. 

Everything here is so pretty right now, and you just make it a million times better. 

Changbin took out his notebook and scrawled his idea down. "It's 10:30, Felix. Do you want to head back? We can watch a movie if you aren't tired yet. I can make some popcorn. Ooh- and we got a new case of Coke too."

Felix nodded. He grinned, and his smile looked more vibrant than ever. "You know, Changbin. I feel like I don't deserve you." Felix's eyes were a little watery, and his cheeks were rosy.

Changbin looked at Felix, making them look directly at each other. "You deserve the world."

That's when Felix leaned in and softly kissed Changbin for the first time.

---

From afar, a figure watching the two slowly turns and leaves.