One-Shot

Counterintuitive

My nose wrinkled in disgust as the scent of coffee wafted into my face. I was used to smelling coffee all day at work, but it was even worse when I was forced to clean the espresso machine. I pulled the cleaning cloth away and frowned. Whoever had cleaned the machine last obviously didn't do a very good job. The cloth was nearly black from all of the coffee residue. This only made my life more difficult. I knew I'd be going home smelling like coffee.

"Mingyu." At the sound of my name, I turned towards my coworker. Minghao and I didn't normally work together. It was actually our first shift together since I started working at the Coffee Bean two months before. We were friends outside of work and attended the same college, but somehow we hadn't worked together.

"Yeah Hao?" I was thankful for a distraction. I could only hope that Minghao would take pity on me and clean the espresso machine for me.

"Why do you still work at a coffee shop if you hate coffee so much?"

"I need money. College is expensive you know!" I chuckled after my overly enthusiastic reply. 

. Did that sound suspicious?
Or worse, defensive?
Was the chuckle too awkward?
It definitely was, wasn't it?

The jig is up Mingyu, you have to spill everything now. You have to do it. Minghao is way too observant not to notice how strange you're acting. There's no way he didn't notice and he's going to question your behaviour. You'll have to spill the beans once he mentions how weird you are.

"Okay." Minghao shrugged, moved his blond bangs out of his eyes and returned to practicing his latte art. I blinked at his uninterested reply. That was easy.

A bell from above the door chimed. It caught my attention and I turned too greet the customer that had walked in. One glance at who it was and my heart leapt to my throat. I knew it was him since he came in at the same time every weekday.

"Hi welcome to the Coffee Bean!" Crap. I definitely sounded way too excited didn't I?

Oh boy. Oh man. He wasn't wearing his normal black jeans, instead wearing a pair of pastel shorts. Oh he looked really good in shorts, but he looked even better in pastel shorts. I mean he looked good in his usual outfit, but my brain short circuitted at the sight of his calves. Holy crap. He looked really good.

"Hi. Can I get a large black coffee and a cinnamon bun please?" The raven haired customer asked as he pulled out his wallet. Butterflies erupted in my stomach at his deep voice. Even though he'd come in the day before, his voice was still pleasant to hear.

"Name?" I asked even though I knew it. Just like how I knew he would order a large black coffee and ask for his bun warmed up and then sit in the corner table by the windows and study from his literature textbook.

"Wonwoo. Can I get that bun warmed up?"

"Of course!" I chirped. Immediately I cringed at how perky I sounded. Be cool Mingyu, be cool. "I'll bring your order to your table once it's ready." He nodded and put the change I'd just given to him in his cardigan pocket. I turned around to make Wonwoo's coffee only to find Minghao already had it on a tray. He even put the cinnamon bun in the microwave.

"Now I know why you still work here." Minghao rolled his eyes. I blushed and glanced towards Wonwoo, just to make sure he hadn't heard Minghao.

"What do you mean? I have no idea what you're talking about." I chuckled nervously. Okay Mingyu, you need to stop chuckling it's definitely awkward.

"You have the subtlety of a chainsaw," The microwave beeped at Minghao grabbed the bun. He set it on the tray beside the mug of coffee. "Here, take the tray so you have an excuse to talk to him." Minghao picked up the tray and shoved it into my chest.

"What? No I can't do that!" I whisper yelled at Minghao. The coffee sloshed a little at my erratic movements. "I never talk to him outside of taking his order. Seokmin normally brings it to him!" 

"Well looks like today's your lucky day." Minghao bent over his latte art, his earrings dangling over the drink. I think the foam supposed to be in the shape of a cat, but it looked more like a blob. I scowled at Minghao and walked past him.

"By the way your latte art ." Minghao grinned at me.

"Just go before the coffee gets cold." He gave me a shove on the back. I tripped over my too long legs and stumbled over to Wonwoo's table. 

Don't spill the coffee.
Don't spill the coffee.
Don't spill the coffee.

I chanted in my head as I walked towards where Wonwoo was sitting. I stood beside his table, but he didn't look up from his notebook. 

Don't spill the coffee.
Don't spill the coffee.

With shaky hands, I grabbed the white mug off the tray. I felt the burn from where my skin was pressing onto the mug. I moved carefully, still chanting in my head.

Don't spill the coffee.

I scanned the table for a free space where Wonwoo didn't have any learning materials. I leaned slightly over the table, my hips digging into the edge. I lowered my hand slowly, aiming for the free spot between Wonwoo's left hand and his textbook. Still shaky, I placed the coffee on the table.

I let out a sigh of relief when the coffee cup landed on the surface with no issues.

 

"Hey Mingyu!" I felt a clap on my back and jumped at the contact. Thankfully the coffee had already been placed on the table. Unfortunately, the cinnamon bun hadn't. I'd jolted so much that cinnamon bun jumped off the tray.

I turned towards Seokmin who had patted my back roughly. He gave me a wink and a signature grin before he walked up to the counter without any other words. I glared at him before I turned back towards Wonwoo. The cinnamon bun had landed right onto the pastel shorts I'd practically died over earlier.

"Oh my gosh I am so so sorry," I immediately began to bow apologetically. I straightened, but my mouth didn't stop. "That was our last cinnamon bun from the batch I baked this morning since we had a surprisingly busy breakfast rush and I set that bun aside for you just to make sure there was one left because I know you like them but now I've ruined it. I am so sorry. Can I get you a caramel cinnamon scone instead? Free of charge of course since I wrecked your cinnamon bun." 

Wonwoo was silent for a moment and then began to laugh. If I thought his voice was nice, then his laugh was 1000 time better.

"You set a cinnamon bun aside for me?" He asked. My eyes widened, not realizing I'd revealed that in my word vomit.

"No? I mean maybe? Yes." I wanted to melt into a puddle just to avoid this situation.

"That's sweet of you," Wonwoo smiled up at me, his cat like eyes closing slightly. I smiled back widely, red filtering onto my cheeks. "A scone sounds nice." He stood up to wipe the cinnamon frosting off his shorts.

"Can do." I turned to leave, but Wonwoo's hand grasped my wrist. I spun around and we came face to face.

Was this a drama or was this my actual real life? My brain short circuitted again.

"After you grab that scone do you want to sit down and have a coffee with me?"

"I don't like coffee." I blurted.

"You work at a coffee shop, but don't like coffee. That's a bit counterintuitive isn't it?" Wonwoo laughed, his nose wrinkling cutely. I smiled and nodded. "Fine, a tea then. Doesn't matter what you drink as long as we can talk."

"Yes. Of course. Definitely!"