More than effort

Summer, K.sy ❀

I was stepping out of the cafe before i heard a familiar voice call my name. "Minjae-ssi hold up! Where are you heading? I just ended my shift, and i was thinking... would you like to have dinner with me?" Soonyoung asked politely. Unfortunately, i have to decline thinking about the state of my house right now. "I would love to, but not today. I have a lot to tidy up at home, i'm living in a pig sty. How about tomorrow?" 

"A pig sty? Hahaha i don't think it's that bad.. or is it? I'll be working in the morning till about evening tomorrow, we'll have dinner after; is that fine with you?" he laughed at how i described my house, and that made me giggle a little, because if he really saw it, he would probably faint. "Sure, i can come over to the cafe to get some work done while waiting. So... i'll see you then." i replied, and waved bye. Hailed a cab back, wasn't looking forward to cleaning up. 

I have cup noodle packets literally everywhere. The dishes were not done. Trash paper from my drafts were scattered on the floor. Looking at the mess, but knowing how unproductive i have been still, made me wanna flip. Perhaps living in a neater, cleaner environment would make my brain work better. I started va the whole house, and did everything that i could. 

it was already 11pm, i took a shower and dropped onto my bed. Drained, but happy that my house finally looks decent. I switched on the A.C, and prepared to sleep. Meeting Soonyoung was totally random, but why do i feel... happy. Maybe it's because i made a new friend. I've always been the one closing doors to be in complete solitude. I remember having best friends, that was way back. Things happened and adulting didn't make it any easier. Their families moved out of korea and we have not been in contact since. Kinda breaks my heart to think about it. Still, none of that affected my daily life now in any way. 

 

*Alarm rings* 12:30 PM 

i quickly got up and did the daily routine, changed and headed out. Today, i'm in black shorts and a dusty pink bowling shirt, kept my hair up in a bun again, because the weather is more than horrid. I'm excited for some reason - to be finally productive, or to see Soonyoung. I brushed that question off. Starting my ride today with a different song, "Let's Sing, Sorim" by Lee Aram; my mood automatically got even better.

Upon reaching the cafe, i watched Soonyoung from the outside. He seems to love his job a hell lot, he's constantly smiling, busy or not. I like how he's making the best of everything at work. I walked in and waited for him to noticed me, and he did, seconds later. I sat at my usual seat, settled down before placing my order at the counter. But before i did, my drink was already prepared and served to me. "I'm guessing this is your usual, Minjae-ssi. And you look nice today." Soonyoung complimented. My cheeks turned peach pink hearing that. "A-ah, ne. It is... and. Thank you, but i think i look... the same. By the way, i should pay!" i changed the topic. "You don't have to. We're allowed to give people we know free drinks. Keep your money, i'm off to work!!!!!" he ran off. I smiled looking at him, he's borderline cute i guess. 

Attempting to write my song was a complete failure because i still no inspirations at all, so i drew some stuff instead. Time passed really quickly, and soon it was time for Soonyoung to knock off. He waved bye to his colleagues and we left. "What would you like to eat? Korean, or western?" he checked with me. "Japanese. I know of a good place around, i'll bring you there." i replied within a second. "I like that you are not indecisive. Haha, kaja!" 

Dinner isn't awkward, we broke the ice by telling each other more about ourselves and we found out that we both want to be song writers. He's just getting a part time job to earn some cash. I guess having a common ground brings two people closer. Talking about everything and anything. It didn't take long for me to open up to him, i couldn't believe it. 

"Can i still see you again Minjae-ssi?" he asked, making direct eye contact. "Of course Soonyoung-ssi. I would like that too." we exchanged numbers.

I wished the night didn't have to end, but i'm glad knowing the fact that i will see him again, i just do not know when. I like uncertainty, the good kind. It all scares me at the same time. This already feels like a game of tug of war between my brain and heart.

 

- end of chapter -