twenty-three

Just Take A Deep Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1][/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]"Well, it's not like I have anything to hope for now, is it?"[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

With Chanyeol off at work and Baekhyun on his coffee date with Serin, Yeseul was all by herself for the remainder of the day. She spent an entire two hours in the bath, using some lavender essential oil Serin had gotten her for her birthday, and listened to her favourite instrumental playlist. Afterwards, feeling totally calm and relaxed, she dressed in her cosiest jumper and sweatpants (even though it was warm enough not to need to bundle up) and settle into bed with a book and biscuits in case she got hungry and didn't feel like getting up. 

Never in her life had Yeseul been the sort to take naps in the middle of the day, especially considering what a hard time she had falling asleep at night, but that day she found herself drifting off while she read. It had to be the bath leaving lingering calming effects on her system, because before she knew it, she blinked and an hour had passed. 

Her phone was ringing. First she though it was her Mother wondering why Yeseul hadn't responded to her text that morning, but then she saw Serin's name on the screen and wondered if the date was over already. 

"Hello?"

"It's not going to work out." 

Yeseul had at least expected some kind of greeting. "No?" 

"Absolutely not," Serin sighed, and Yeseul could picture her raking her fingers through her hair in exasperation. "I don't know why I wasted so much tiem on him, we're not alike at all." 

"Well, at least you can say that you gave it a go, right?" 

"Yeah, and I'm glad I did." Serin laughed lightly. "To be honest, I think he was quite relieved that we didn't really click. I don't know if he's ready for that just yet." 

Yeseul hummed. "I don't think he is," she agreed. "So, what now?" 

"I don't know, it feels kind of weird." 

"You have sort of been waiting for this for a while, haven't you? Are you disappointed? Or just relieved that at least now you know what you want?" 

"Um," Yeseul head a door slamming, and guess Serin had just arrived back at her apartment. If she had rang as soon as the date was done, then Baekhyun would probably be home soon as well. "I mean, I think a bit of both? I don't have any feeling for him anymore, I don't think." 

"That was fast." 

"Yeah, well, it's not like I have anything to hope for now, is it? I think that might have been what most of it was, anyway." 

Yeseul thought that this sounded likely. She'd been supportive of whatever feelings Serin had harboured for Baekhyun, but she was never particularly confident that it would work out for them. She admired that Serin had gone for it anyway, just to see if the drunken kisses were just that or something more, and even though it hadn't worked out she wasn't going to dwell on it. "Hey, now you get to find someone who's right for you, though." 

"Do you think it'll happen?" 

"If I found someone to put up with me, I'm sure you'll be able to do the same." 

Serin laughed. "I appreciate your optimism. But hey, if things with Chanyeol don't work out, let's get married, okay?" 

"Deal." 

"I think I could probably fancy you, if it came down to it." 

"I'm flattered." 

"Well, if we're going to be married, it'll entirely make things more enjoyable." 

Yeseul laughed. "Are you sure you didn't go to a bar instead of for coffee?" 

"What, do you not fancy me at all, Yeseul? I'm offended." 

"Now you sound like Chanyeol." 

"That's good right?" 

Yeseul buried her face in her pillow. "Oh my god, can we please change the subject?" 

"I'm just asking simple questions here," Serin said. "But fine. We're still getting married if things don't work out with you and Chanyeol though, right?" 

"And you don't find anyone," Yeseul added, while Serin scoffed. "Oh, don't be like that. Remember what I was like after Eunha and I split up? Utterly hopeless. Now look at me." 

"I'll need you to keep on reminding me eveyrthing isn't hopeless, Yeseul." 

"I'll do my best. And there's always marriage if we both end up alone, because we'll always have each other." 

Serin's grin was clear in her voice. "Yes. Always. Right, I need to talk about something else. What have you done today?" 

"I had a bath." 

"That's it?" 

"Indeed it is." 

Serin groaned. "That sounds way better than my day! That settles it, I'm having a bath." 

Before they hung up, Yeseul asked, "Why don't I come over this weekend? We can watch those terrible romantic films you like and get drunk on boxed wine." 

"Yes please." 

"And Rin?" 

"Yes?" 

"Baekhyun's a ." 

"He's not that bad." 

"Oh, come on, you're allowed to complain about him now!" 

"Me? You're one of his best friends!" 

"Yes, so I'm allowed to say how terrible he is. Come on, join me, it's fun. Surely you aren't that nice." 

Serin laughed. "Well, I could think of a few things to say. Why don't we save it for the weekend?" 

"Fine by me. Enjoy your bath!" 

"Bye, Yeseul. Thanks." 

Since Chanyeol was coming with her for the weekend, they decided to get the KTX. Yeseul spent more of the journey figuring out what to say to her father when they had their talk, which she had now figured out would be without anyone else around, maybe at a restaurant or someplace public so he wouldn't start shouting or being irrational. She didn't think he would get like that, but she didn't want to take any chances. 

By the time they arrived it was past lunch, but they had stopped for food, leaving the afternoon open. Yeseul was hoping to take Youngjae into the Hongdae, but she wasn't sure what her mother had planned. 

"I would give you some kind of advice before we go in," Yeseul said as they approached the door. She paused outside the gate to put out her cigarette, slipping the box back into her bag. Chanyeol handed her a piece of gum without needing to be asked, and popped one into his own mouth. "But honestly, they like you more than me, so maybe you should be the one giving advice." 

"Wait, I forget to ask something," Chanyeol said suddenly. Yeseul blinked at him. "Will I be allowed to sleep in your room?" 

"Obviously, we aren't teenagers." 

"You act like one sometimes." 

"Ha ha so funny. I also shouldn't have to tell you that we aren't having while we're here." 

Chanyeol made a face. "With your brother in the house? Jesus Christ, Seullie, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind." 

"Good." 

She knocked. 

Out of the three possibilities for who would answer the door, Yeseul was filled with relief and joy when Youngjae appeared on the other side. He wore his widest smile, and immediately threw himself against her while talking a mile a minute about how still had a month left of school and all the things he'd been doing. Yeseul ruffled his hair and looked at Chanyeol, who had moved to the side and was playing with his bottom lip. He smiled when their eyes met, but his attention was quickly torn away, because Yeseul's mot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter