Conflicted

He Left Me Breathless

What had my extensive research in memes taught? That I, Byun Baekhyun resembled an electrocuted grasshopper while I danced or more accurately attempted to.

This was worse than the time Chanyeol had forcefully dragged me to the theater to catch the premier show of the Twilight Saga movie because he was curious about how Edward Cullen / the lead had skipped the apple that precisely.

Yes that is correct.

A strand of thread and clever scamming had given me violent nightmares for ages!

How has the whole class learnt this in four short hours? I couldn’t match my body to the rhythm though I had already seen him performing it thrice.

Well seen is an understatement considering, I had intensely analyzed his every gesture not for the sake of learning but for the reason that he seemed like a fantasy come true.

His movements were dazzling and seamless, inspiring awe in those blessed to witness him. He twisted and turned in fluid waves, dominating the provocative melody. The harshness in the tune startled you whereas Mr. Oh invited your obsession. Embodying grace to the tip of his toes he made it difficult to feast on anything else.

He hadn’t wasted a moment since entering the exercise locale. The simple nod of his commanded respect and began the lesson with hushed discussions of his identity.

They were smitten and obedient, probably conspiring to gain favors from him. Clueless to his ruthlessness.

In the brief sessions he had conducted clear boundaries were established and there was a blaring, red alpha sign on his side. Acknowledged and approved.

He communicated through numbers and pointers, prompting the rest of us to move as if we were possessed to achieve just the slightest bit of elegance he radiated. Of course when I mention we, it only implies the others. I couldn’t follow him during a single spin.

I shuffle around like a headless chicken distracting and disturbing the people behind me. I had heard so many “For Christ’s sake Baekhyun!” in the past 20 minutes that I lost count. My skills were miserable at best and it didn’t help that I was extremely out of my element.

Give me a mic and high notes any day.

The workout gear I had chosen was in stark contrast to theirs. I wore loose tracks that submerged my tiny legs, an oversized hoodie and chunky trainers that Minseok hyung called ‘ugly shoes’. No one could appreciate my fondness for these grey, limited edition Balenciaga’s that I tricked my father in to buying.

The longer I stumbled along, the clearer it became that getting an A- in the evaluation was not only impossible but also absurd. Even if I could somehow manage it once I wouldn’t be able to maintain the streak for all the assessments. It is obvious that I am destined for an F in each criteria.

Did he perhaps know how terrible I am that he imposed these exact conditions?

Jokes on you Mr. Byun, I only have to lounge back and enjoy while you sabotage yourself.

The choreography was dynamic to say the least and the fast paced section caused practically, everyone to wheeze frantically. Where I almost break my bones stretching, he oozed style and poise.

I was right. This man was the devil himself masquerading as a Greek god.

The large mirror reflected his stern glares whenever I slipped or lost balance. It was a message. Clean up or pack up.

Well I beg your pardon but the one who had forbidden me from speaking was him. Now I couldn’t seek help from anybody. If he found that unbearable and insufferable, then he shouldn’t have pressured me to sign that damn thing!

The Lee Taeyong who blushed feverishly because of the mere mention of Chanyeol’s name was the sole individual able to imitate the versatility and expertise that he expected. His mask of fierce concentration was captivating as he absorbed the nuances that were being taught by Oh Seonsaengnim.

At a certain point the students pause ready to faint from rehearsing nonstop but they stay engrossed in their own world and the silence in the room turns serious and energetic. Breaking the trance, Taeyong bows politely and the song ends, bringing a genuine smile of pleasure that transforms his features. Wow. This was strange. The good kind of strange.

After an eternity of trying and failing to master the composition, I sit in the corner contemplating the universe’s sick retaliation. Soon the familiar crown of purple blob blurs my vision eagerly.

“Hyung hyung did you see me?” he babbles, a ball of enthusiasm.

“Of course, you were wonderful” I praise, cleaning his sweaty cheeks.

“Yay! But I couldn’t see you” he pouts and I secretly cringe.

“Don’t worry brat you didn’t miss anything” I comment wryly.

“Really?” he doubts and I accept, absolutely crushed.

“Tae yah teach me this routine. I missed the previous classes and I can't get the hang of it” I whine describing the spectacular mess I had made.

“Hyung is joking” he challenges stubbornly.

“You have too much faith in me child” I oppose and Beanpole aka Rafael, Oh Seonsaengnim’s Personal Secretary appears mysteriously. I’m glued to the wall while my limbs flail in different directions. Was this guy a vampire? He didn’t walk, he glided.

“Your appointment is scheduled for 9:00 am with the Director from tomorrow onwards. Being unpunctual increases the duration of your contract” he informs robotically.

Jesus man!”

“Language Mr. Byun” he scolds, mouth curling in disgust and I resist the urge to start an argument.

“Assure the Director I will be there” I snap, patience gone for a toss.

“Who is that hyung?” Taeyong gulps regarding Rafael’s retreating form nervously.

“Satan’s guard dog” I mumble, distracted.

“That doesn’t make sense but when do you want to practice?”

“You have anything planned later?” I question.

“Nope” he confirms popping the p.

“Great! I’ll clear the gym” I reply and regret it eventually. He had brought the 'beast' along with him and the enormous 400 pounds bike was positively devilish, colored in midnight black.

"Are your parents out of town?" I inquire stomach in knots.

"Madrid. For business" he reveals ecstatic.

"Tae Tae, hyung doesn't mean to hurt you but it's definitely on the list of things I am willing to do if you overspeed" I frighten, subtly and climb the motorcycle.

The clock strikes 11 and fortunately I perform the routine without tripping. He applauds my success and we collapse on the floor exhaustion taking its toll. Unexpectedly, the door flings open and Chanyeol barges in agitated. Taeyong straightens instantly and struggles to fix his appearance. The little fool.

“Who let you in?” I demand cranky and petty.

“Your mom” he retorts tapping his foot impatiently.

“MOM DON’T WELCOME STRANGERS INTO THE HOUSE” I bellow from my position and Chanyeol lifts me from the ground.

“What are you doing?” I shriek slapping his chest and he strides to the balcony.

“Will you quit being a baby?” he tests, dangling me above the railings.

“I am going to strangle you to death” I shout clinging to him.

“Are you still mad?” he wonders pushing me farther.

“NO I AM ING NOT!”

“Will you hit me?” he has the nerve to ask.

“What do you think?” I growl, very annoyed.

“Maybe I shouldn’t then” he smirks.

“Fine I won't! Are you happy?” I surrender and he sets me on the armchair. I was nauseous and adrenaline filled.

“Come listen to my new demo and I’ll buy everything in the pastry shop” he bribes.

“You are insane” I conclude, glaring.

“Please Baek you know this is important to me” he pleads and I groan.

He was preparing the tape for his most favorite singer on planet Earth – Zhang Yixing and he needed it to be beyond perfect. I elbow him painfully and drag Taeyong with me ignoring his complaints to flee. We reach the studio and Chanyeol unlocks it, similar to the neighbor's hyperactive Golden Retriever.

A woman’s smooth accent echoes from the speakers, attached to the various complicated equipment and blends flawlessly into the electronic theme of the track. Chanyeol raps in his deep, gravelly voice and that’s when I’m sold. The lyrics, the composition and the arrangement were addictive. It was sensual and extraordinary creating an illusion of sorts.

“Your honest opinion?” he pants, having slayed the verse.

“Dude that was amazing, outstanding and phenomenal” I congratulate, delighted.

“Tell me you’re not lying” he hopes hesitantly.

“No ! This is officially my jam. He is going to worship your talent” I compliment happily.

“Taeyong what’s the verdict?” Chanyeol requests joyously and I realize that he hasn’t spoken since we arrived. He is burning red and for a second I imagine smoke gushing from his ears. Poor kid. His brain had finally malfunctioned because of our Gigantor.

“Of course he loves it” I laugh and pat him vigorously praying he would become aware of the situation.

“My manager submitted it and I cannot wait to receive the response” Chanyeol states and the phone rings interrupting. It was Jongdae.

“Sorry Yeol I have to go. Jongdae wants to meet in the café nearby and he sounded low. Can you please drop Taeyong? He left his bike in my garage” I explain hurriedly.

“Sure. No problem. I’ll catch you later” he says brow furrowing in concern and I hug them.

Taeyong’s POV

Oh crap Baekhyun hyung is leaving.

Was this a hallucination?

I cannot be deserted in a room alone with this man who was more dangerous than a full scale earthquake. I am not prepared for this.

What was I doing tagging along with them when I couldn’t even think when I'm next to him. Who was this willing to dig their own grave? I was hopelessly frozen in shock and the charming smile of his kept me in like a black hole.

I see his pale, pink lips pucker and part as he forms a sentence but my ears are reeling from the physical, mental and psychological attack I had suffered. Who let this certified natural disaster strut around freely?

The neatly slicked back hair, torso barely covered in a tank top and muscles that flexed insultingly were a ploy daring me to lose the last speck of sanity I had managed to stick onto. I had certainly reached my limit.

His rapping had been transcendental and dirty. Each word melded into my skin like a spellbinding tattoo, coursing inside my veins and bringing with it a longing I couldn’t control. Lost in his art, his eyes had shone passionately and my mind immediately forgot what it should be doing.

He was overwhelmingly magnetic and looked ing incredible. I had never felt this frustrated in my entire life nor had I been religious enough to convey thanks to the heavens until this moment. Chanyeol sunbae became my holiest experience. There is no way I am alive and conscious and being shaken out of my semi coma by his large, warm hands.

“Are you alright?” he worries leaning close to examine my face and I realize how unbelievably  I am. Can anyone hide their when they’re clad in thin, tight jeans?

“Yes” I whisper. No Sunbae I am not and it is your fault.

“Man you really scared me there. You should respond when people question you” he chuckles and I blink rapidly.

“W-w-what questions?” I squeak while concealing my growing using the backpack.

“Why don’t you talk to me the way you talk to Baekhyun? I’m cooler than him.”

It has something to do with the fact that I don’t have a raging crush on Baekhyun hyung and he doesn’t make my heart skip or startle the way you do, I think but answer

“I know.”

“I don’t bite Tae ah” he grins and my vision blanks as I imagine him biting me. Did sunbae have no care for my raging teenage hormones?

“I should go” I stammer and turn to the opposite direction, not lingering for his reply.

“Hold your horses, buddy I’m the chauffeur” he says halting me abruptly and the bag slides from my grip, falling loudly in the awkwardness. I bend to retrieve it in a flash but when I gaze at Sunbae I know it is too late. His mouth hangs exposed and the confusion is evident.

“I’m sorry Sunbae. I didn’t- it isn’t- you don’t have to me anywhere. I’ll ride the subway” I murmur bolting towards the exit but he grabs me by the wrist. I thrash and wriggle to escape his clutch but he’s stronger than me.

“Are you…?” he probes and I cower in shame. I couldn’t believe how extreme my erted thoughts were. I couldn’t even hear him without shivering.

“Sunbae please forgive me. I don’t want to make this more horrible” I plead facing away from him. This was the worst. I had ruined everything. He would never speak to me again. I bet he’s disgusted and upset.

“Taeyong I didn’t- do you- what can I” he splutters dumbfounded and tears prickle my eyes. It was plain rejection. What was I expecting? My ridiculous delusions had no bounds.

“I will call a cab” I say shrugging his clasp off and abandon the suffocating studio.

I feel my chin tremble as I scan the road for an empty taxi. Eventually the gravel on the path crunches and I rub furiously. I was not going to be that person who lost their on a damn lane in plain view of the public. I didn’t crave for anyone’s sympathy or their hypocrisy.

Baekhyun’s POV

That was an Oscar worthy performance. I had deceived Chanyeol and Taeyong with my excuse about joining Jongdae in the espresso bar.

Geez it was impossible to have stayed longer in that room without disclosing extremely inappropriate details. Chanyeol’s obliviousness was a thing of wonder.

Taeyong was bright crimson and quaking after listening to him but he had pondered his reaction naively. Sometimes you need to push until it comes to shove and that’s exactly what I had done by disappearing. I wished Chanyeol could comprehend the magnitude of his feelings and stop tormenting him.

In my hurry to scram I had forgotten that I didn’t carry a jacket and now I was shivering like a stray cat waiting for Minseok hyung to pick me up. When I check the streets, suddenly Taeyong spills from the staircase.

I don’t shift from my spot and regard him silently. He kept inspecting either side of the highway as if searching for something. Why wasn’t Chanyeol beside him?

I come out of hiding and move to him. He wipes his face using the end of the sleeves and I sigh. I suppose nothing went the way both of us intended. I am going to bury Chanyeol 10 feet underground. He could have turned him down nice and easy.

“Tae ah” I beckon softly, unwilling to alarm him. He whirls around quickly and my heart breaks at the sight of his puffy, swollen eyes. I felt like a gigantic piece of poop for leaving him. I should have guessed it wasn’t always all flowers and confetti.

“Hyung you were here?” he sniffles. It should be a crime to make him cry. He seemed so pitiful and small.

“Yeah I lied” I admit sheepishly and his eyes widen considerably.

“You know don’t you?” he whispers unhappily.

“From the beginning” I confess.

“Everyone but him” he snickers bitterly and I loathe it.

“Tae what happened?” I question.

“I- I really liked his song and I r-r-reacted badly. I shouldn’t have” he hiccups.

“Shhh it’s okay. Please don’t cry baby” I comfort him.

“He hates me” he bawls relentlessly.

“No he doesn’t. Chanyeol has no reason to” I reassure him.

“I would if I were him” he sobs.

“No you wouldn’t. You’re kinder than that” I assert squeezing him securely and hear Minseok hyung honking behind us.

“Our car’s here. Let’s get my cookie monster in” I announce. It takes Minseok hyung one second to appraise the general ambiance and draw his conclusion.

“Who is in the mood for ice-cream?” he squeals, the 5 year old in him bursting forth and I thank him quietly.

“All the stores will be closed super hyung” Taeyong pouts, occasionally handling my shirt as his tissue. Not that I minded.

“What’s the point in owning a humongous restaurant if I can’t buy my little ones ice cream when they want?” he notes proudly and Taeyong laughs. Hyung was the go to remedy when everything is wrong. He would have you feeling warm and silly in an instant.

“Well said Minseok-ssi” I support the idea.

“Baekhyun ah hyung is very close to disowning you” he warns despising my formal use of his name.

“I would have no purpose in life without you” I exclaim dramatically and he snorts.

The lights in the restaurant are dim and the embroidered curtains are fastened. Piano music is playing and a petite male is arranging the flowers on the tables. His silver locks are illuminated as he flutters round the hall.

“Ten I’m going to fire you if you don’t resign” Minseok hyung declares frustrated and I wonder whether he is crazy.

“You can fire me boss. I’ll come back crawling” the boy chuckles leveling a stare at hyung. For the first time I truly wanted to flatter a guy for being pretty. His pointy nose, sweet beam and delicate eyes made him pretty.

“Don’t bother I’ll have the restraining order prepared before you cross the threshold” he informs and I watch their banter confused. Who was this cutie pie?

“Hello I’m Ten Chittaphon Leechaiyakul. The new kid on the block” he introduces himself.

“Hello I’m Baekhyun, Xiumin hyung’s younger brother and this is my hoobae Taeyong” I repeat the coutesy.

“I know boss never shuts up about you” he giggles regarding the baffled Taeyong curiously.

“I’m warning you don’t get attached. He’ll soon be the new kid on the street” Minseok hyung intervenes.

“Why do I waste my effort? I placed the ice creams in a bowl for you” he fumes playfully.

“Hyung can we keep him?” I pout, already fond of this weird child.

“He is not a pet Baekhyun” he groans.

“But he’s so cute”

“Seriously Baek! This is why I don’t bring you here often” he yells leaving us in defeat.

“Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?” Ten asks conspiringly.

“Both” I whisper, gleeful.

“Where were you all this while?” he screeches seating us at the counter and the conversation is spontaneous. He takes it upon himself to feed Taeyong who grows more flustered under the attention.

Minseok hyung returns a while later and boots the reluctant Ten outside after much protesting. He bids a tearful farewell and promises to text me. Yes we had exchanged numbers faster than a bolt of lightning. We are meant to be. Taeyong’s gloomy attitude resumes and hyung ruffles his hair thoroughly.

“You’re too young to be worrying about this. Give the giant some space, he will understand” he advises.

“Super hyung knows as well?” he yells blushing.

“Tae yah you visit the washroom every two minutes when Chanyeol is there. So I figured between diabetes and this” hyung teases and he slams his forehead to the table.

“I just realized the trains locked long ago and I don’t have any money” Ten proclaims quickly squeezing himself between us.

“I’ll lend you the money” hyung interrupts but it’s obvious he has already lost the battle.

We go on for hours merrily and I didn’t want it to end. If only I could prolong this peace forever but tomorrow I would have to face the reality while bending and bowing to Mr. Oh Sehun.