One Step Ahead

He Left Me Breathless
 
 
Have you ever wondered how someone who is accused of a crime feels when he is in standing in the court and trying to counter all the claims that people are throwing at him so that his innocence can be proven? When he has to struggle to make them believe that he had nothing to be repentant about?
 
Except in my case, I hadn't actually committed a crime, neither did I have a guilty conscience that needed absolution. But somehow my friends saw it fit to treat me as if I were a delinquent walking around and wreaking havoc on innocent lives.
 
"What have you been doing all these days?" Chanyeol yells from the couch currently occupied by him, Kyungsoo, Jongdae and surprisingly Taeyong who to his credit looks like he was dragged against his will.
 
"Did you flunk a subject?" Jongdae screeches, his already high pitched tone wavering dangerously. As if that hypocritical bastard had any right to say that to me after phenomenally bombing our French finals in High School.
 
"This will be a lot less painful if you're honest Baekhyun" Kyungsoo advises in that sotto voce that begets no room for escape or deflection. Why was it always sink or swim with Kyungsoo? Did this Pororo not understand the concept of moderation? 
 
"How did you guys even catch me in the lie?" I whine pitifully. This was not how I had planned to tell them the truth. 
 
"I was in the administrative building to hand in some forms, lo and behold Mrs. Choi begins hounding me because you haven't dropped by to visit her in ages. Then I saw how all your lesson plans were left blank and realized you were hoodwinking all of us" Chanyeol reveals levelling an accusatory finger at my forehead. 
 
Ah poor Mrs. Choi must have missed me quite a lot if she had resorted to enquiring after me from Chanyeol. 
 
"Hoodwinking is a strong word, I was merely waiting for the appropriate moment to drop the bomb" I mumble disapprovingly. 
 
"Baekhyun sweetie have you been taking drugs?" my mother pipes in, distress lacing her query. 
 
"MOM" I exclaim, appalled that she thought I would choose getting high over singing and dancing. 
 
"Is it Weed? LSD? ? Meth? Ecstasy? Heroin? Vicodin? Valium?" Chanyeol demands fuming in anger and I regret that he's not close enough for me to stomp on his face like I really wanted to. How was I the shady person when apparently he was the human encyclopedia for narcotics?
 
"Did you get a girl pregnant?" Jongdae balks, truly horrified at the prospect and I wished the skies would open up and smite me whole. 
 
"I couldn't get a girl pregnant even if I wanted to, you absolute piece of " I howl, enraged by the sheer foolishness. 
 
"Why not darling? You're a very healthy young man" my mother laughs nonchalantly and I have to control the urge to lob a show at Jongdae's useless head. 
 
"Mother did you forget my grand exit from the closet years ago? I walked out wearing a glittery leotard just so you wouldn't harbor any doubts about my uality. You threw me a gay version of the Quinceañera and practically invited the entire neighborhood" I explain wondering if it was too late to get myself a new family and friends. 
 
"Honey we're Koreans, we celebrate Gwallye" my mother corrects and I nearly faint from the suppressed irritation. 
 
"Thanks for the mental images Baekhyun" Jongdae winces obliviously. 
 
"This is your fault! Why would you ask me something stupid when you knew I couldn't get it up for a girl even if she knelt and prayed in front of it?" I cry, infuriated. 
 
"Hey what's wrong with girls?" Chanyeol has the audacity to complain. 
 
"Nothing is wrong with girls Chanyeol, absolutely nothing! Girls are amazing but Baekhyun Junior does not swing that way, he is pro men and likes his sausages long. In case you forgot I'm as gay as a pink donut with rainbow filling and I would gladly frosting off Channing Tatum's nips if I ever saw him stark " I snap. 
 
"Man you need to chill" Jongdae admonishes and I am actually dumbfounded. 
 
He was the reason why I was five seconds away from an aneurysm!
 
"FOR S SAKE WILL YOU ALL SHUT UP AND LET ME TALK?" I finally roar to stop their increasingly ridiculous speculations.  
 
"Hyung did you join a gang? Do you hate us now? Did we do something wrong?" Taeyong sniffles, dejected and instantly the dumb giant is by his side. 
 
"No Tae I am not in any gang and I seriously don't hate you" I groan, perplexed that the notion of me being in cahoots with the mob had somehow become believable to Taeyong. Suddenly I worried for the child. 
 
"Tell them the truth Byunnie" Minseok Hyung coaxes, holding a board that says 'Baektervention'. I could make a wild guess as to whose ingenuity led to that particular tag, given how the furry fiend was blatantly avoiding my glare. 
 
"I don't attend classes anymore because I work for Oh Sehun, the CEO of Oh Enterprises" I sigh, quietly resigning to my fate. 
 
"Does that mean you've dropped out of college?" Kyungsoo probes, eyebrows curving upwards and his owlish gaze, shrewder. Was I in for a beating? 
 
"No I didn't. In fact when I ruined Mr. Oh's scarf, which cost a load of money for your kind information, I was given two options- being his personal Secretary or facing expulsion from the Academy, and I did what I could to save my . The sad part isn't even that I have to work under him for an entire year but it's the fact that the man hates me enough to make Batman and Joker look like they were ing each other senseless, behind the scenes" I rant breathing heavily. 
 
"Sorry mom" I add as an afterthought lest she should protest at my use of foul language. 
 
"You should have told us sooner" Jongdae grumbles, sufficiently chastened. 
 
"You are the shoot first and ask questions later, type of people" I grumble, flopping down to the floor in exhaustion. The guilt of having to lie and hide the secret had finally disappeared, leaving my conscience clear. 
 
"Don't go to work from tomorrow. I really want to see to what lengths he would go to realize his threats" Chanyeol declares, momentarily discarding his optimistic perception in exchange for retribution. 
 
"I signed a contract Yeol and I can be sued or expelled. Both of which I am not prepared for" I mumble, enjoying the warmth of the sun rays streaming through the open windows. Frankly, I had thrown in the towel and decided to stop fighting the tide of the events. In the light of the recent events, it became obvious I was destined to grab the short end of the stick where Mr. Oh was concerned and worrying about the inevitable seemed, futile. 
 
"It pains me to say this but Chanyeol is right and if worse comes to worst, I will pay the penalty" surprisingly Kyungsoo offers and I am stunned into silence. 
 
Encouraging bad behaviour and moreover indulging its consequences were strictly against Kyungsoo's principles. He'd much rather send me to a Bible camp for atonement and such, than oblige my wrongdoings. 
 
"We will pay the penalty" Taeyong emphasizes, for good measure and the stubborn set of his shoulders is almost comical. 
 
"How much?" Jongdae ponders, pragmatically. 
 
"Guys" Minseok Hyung is quick to intervene when I flounder helplessly. I was torn between wanting to cry because the gesture itself was touching and wanting to cry because they would surely have a fit when they learned the truth. 
 
"Unless one of you have four million dollars stashed in an off shore account in the Cayman Islands, I say we forget this idea" I chuckle wryly. 
 
"You really know how to get yourself into trouble" they shout in unison and I recoil from their frustrated screeching. 
 
"I know okay!"
 
"We could have bought two Vulcans with that kind of money Baek" Chanyeol laments loudly. 
 
"I'm glad you can still think of buying cars when I am recounting my miserable life story Yeol" I note annoyed and he shrugs as if to say 'you got yourself tangled in this mess'.
 
Indeed.
 
I had shot myself in the foot spectacularly. 
 
"But you can't continue missing classes Hyun-ah. Then you won't have the necessary credits to pass this semester" Jongdae argues, in all seriousness. 
 
"I've got that covered" I remark, proud of what I had managed to accomplish with Mr. Oh's help. 
 
"How?" Minseok hyung asks occupying the empty armchair. 
 
"Remedial classes with Mr. Zhang and Jongin?" the statement comes out more a question, than an answer. 
 
"You're lying" Chanyeol splutters, tripping in his haste to reach me. 
 
"You wish" I chuckle showing my contacts list and he lands on his knees, stumped. 
 
Well I suppose to Chanyeol, Mr. Zhang's number was the equivalent of the Holy Grail. 
 
"Now that's what I call an upgrade ladies and gentlemen" Jongdae whistles and finally the tense atmosphere in the room dissipates, bringing in the jokes at my expense. 
 
"If that's settled, I have an announcement to make" I disrupt their mockery and smirk deviously in Jongdae's direction. 
 
"You promised not to tell anyone" Hyung groans, sensing the impending revelation. 
 
"That was pre Baektervention Minseokiki. You have lost the privilege of my secrecy by participating in this circus show" I scoff. 
 
"He knows?" Jongdae gasps, turning an amusing shade of crimson. 
 
"Yes I know. In fact, I've known for quite some time darling" I laugh, ignoring their silent pleas. 
 
"It hasn't even been a week Baekhyun" Hyung whines, trying to secure my silence through his puppy eyes. 
 
"Hyung, you and Jongdae won't have to make excuses while you go on dates or lie to us when you want to get funky" I observe solemnly. 
 
"Who is going on dates?" Taeyong stammers, practically curling into himself like an overgrown hedgehog. Weird. Was he hiding something? 
 
"Minseok Hyung and Jongdae" I expose the love birds and Chanyeol grudgingly gives 50,000 won from his wallet to Kyungsoo. He bet that the pair would be together within the end of the month and his prediction had been accurate. 
 
"You placed bets on us?" Jongdae shrieks, affronted. 
 
"No, I made a wise investment" Kyungsoo brushes off the scandalized objection.  
 
"This officially calls for a JongMin party" Chanyeol yells, celebrating the news. 
 
After successfully shifting the attention to the new couple, I enjoy the unfolding merrymaking but my brain decides to attack me with visual loops of Mr. Oh tending to my injuries and his palpable concern which hadn't escaped my notice. The strangely gentle, care had left behind a lasting impression and going to the office tomorrow didn't seem so daunting anymore. 
 
Maybe we could be civil to each other if we tried. 
 
"Good Morning Sir" I greet, barging inside Mr. Oh's cabin and find the rolling chair unoccupied. Please not again I pray inwardly, until the man materialzes from the private room attached to his cubicle. Dear God. 
 
"Mr. Byun please be seated" Mr. Oh returns, absently appraising my memo pads and I swallow the litany of curse that begins to leave my mouth. 
 
Mr. Oh is wearing a grey button up under his checkered vest and it tapers into fitting, black slacks that contour his surprisingly well rounded behind. He reaches towards the rack to hang his discarded suit coat and the shirt strains against his muscles while the trousers tense with the movement. The clingy fabric tightens around smooth biceps and the slope of Mr. Oh's strong, broad back and my eyes soak in the plush form of his . 
 
How come I hadn't noticed this before? 
 
How come I was noticing this now? 
 
"I have meetings scheduled from 10 to 3, the liaison from the Hong Kong branch would like to consult me on pre development stage plans for the Huang and Lin Corporation, the Marketing and Communications team need my approval for the new projects and the Board is harassing you to ensure my attendance for the Annual Gala. Is there anything that I missed?" Mr. Oh recites, his appointments from the notes. 
 
"Uh Mr. Jeong called to know when he can reschedule y-your um golf match" I add, flushing furiously at my wayward train of thoughts. 
 
"Tell Mr. Jeong that my demands have tripled and the negotiations have officially concluded" he states, languidly inching forward.
 
"Ye-yes sir" I mumble. 
 
"These bandages need to be changed Mr. Byun" he interjects and Mr. Oh's nimble fingers wrap my left wrist in their warm, pleasant clasp. I hold rock still whislt he skilfully undoes the orange gauze and examines the wound. 
 
In this proximity I only had to tilt my head upwards to sniff along the long column of Mr. Oh's exquisite neck and his subtle, intoxicating scent would fill my senses. The temptation intensifies when my gaze uncovers the tiny mole nestled underneath the sharp curve of his jaw and I struggle to compose myself. 
 
Please Baekhyun please. ual harrasment is not worth the jail time I admonish myself, unconvincingly. 
 
"The swelling has reduced" he notes, grimacing at the darkening shade of the bruise. 
 
"It doesn't hurt anymore Mr. Oh" I reassure, opposed to the idea of further invoking his remorse. 
 
In a manner of speaking I had incurred this injury purely by my sleuthing or the apparent lack thereof and if I had been in his place, believing a robber was in the process of ransacking precious artwork, I would have extended the same violent treatment. 
 
"Are you sore Mr. Byun?" he enquires, immersed in scrutinizing and I choke on my spit. 
 
"Sore?" I squeak, barely believing my own ears. 
 
"Mr. Byun. Your wrist" he emphasizes, expression suspicious and wary. 
 
"Oh. So-sorry. N-n-no. I mean yes? I guess?" I stammer, gradually coloring in embarrassment. 
 
Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.
 
Why don't you go ahead and assume filthier subtexts from his remarks show him just how thirsty you actually are? My subconscious mocks. 
 
"I suggest you refrain from stressing your hand Mr. Byun or you'll aggravate the sprain" he warns and I decide Mr. Oh's guilt was much better than his contempt. 
 
"Yes sir. I'll go bring your coffee Mr. Oh" I nod, eager to compose myself away from his piercing gaze. 
 
"My morning requirements for caffeine have already been sated Mr. Byun" he points to the empty mug on the table. Crap. 
 
"You shouldn't have troubled yourself Mr. Oh" I apologize hurriedly. 
 
Working with one hand had proved quite challenging and I had taken too long to get dressed. Maybe, I had been later than I realized and Mr. Oh was forced to make the coffee himself. He could have ordered someone else to but his tastes were so particular, I doubted anyone else would have sufficed. 
 
"Mr. Byun I may have been born with a silver spoon but that doesn't mean I can't use that spoon to stir my coffee once in a while" he smirks, loosening his intricately knotted tie. 
 
"I apologize for underestimating your barista skills Mr. Oh, I'll be at my desk if you need anything else Mr. Oh" I concede good naturedly. 
 
The day passes uneventfully and by the time I am scarfing down Danish pastries in the break room, I feel energetic and restless. The most I had accomplished today was bringing a bottle of water to Mr. Oh, while he was in a meeting and organize his already organized files. I hadn't been forced to handle the PowerPoint or the presentation per usual and the heavy briefs I carried had magically appeared in the conference hall. 
 
Several interns ran back and forth from Mr. Oh's office, each one more unnerved than the other as they finished the errands assigned to them. It was a drastic change from my normal routine but whenever I tried to do something and Mr. Oh demanded that I stay rooted to the spot, I was oddly satisfied. 
 
This unusual kindness was unusually nice. 
 
Yongsoo, from the Accounting Department who preferred his much flashier alias Leo, catches me wandering and merrily drags me to their side of the break room where they regale everyone with all the hilarious office gossip, I generally distanced myself from. 
 
Apparently, three hours ago they had discovered Byung Chul in the women's loo receiving promiscuous services from a certain married employee in the Human Resource Department and the entire office was in an uproar. The complacent bunny that had assumed the role of my tour guide during my first week here is quickly replaced by the President of the Foul Mouths Are Us Associaton and boy does he rant. 
 
"The useless fungal infection carriers, literal turd burgers, 2003 Fergie plaigarists, bed pissing maggots, cactus eating fruitcakes, guzzling whale s, bottom feeding scavengers, uneducated goose es who would easily win the best snakes of the century award, have finally given us the dirt to humiliate them into the sewerage drains they live in and you best believe it is going to be a blood bath Byun" Leo declares, earning the boisterous approval of our colleagues. 
 
You could say there was a bit of hostility between the HR Management and the rest of the staff. 
 
The number of people in our table increase until half of the company has squeezed themselves haphazardly into our space whilst people take turns to descriptively slaughter the workers in HR. The twelfth tale is gory enough to cause the crowd to lessen and I search for an excuse to leave as well. Mercifully, my phone vibrates and I get saved by the bell. Literally. 
 
"Hello" I accept, without checking the caller ID. 
 
"Mr. Byun I was hoping to talk to you" my impatient greeting causes the speaker on the other end to chuckle. 
 
"Mr. Zhang is that you?" I blurt, perturbed to be receiving his call. 
 
"The one and only" he confirms. 
 
"How can I help you sir?" I instantly question, forgetting the dull explosion of merriment and howling in the background. 
 
"Baekhyun is it possible to meet me in an hour? I would like to start you off with new assignments and discuss some things" he muses.
 
"Of course Mr. Zhang. I'll be there as fast as I can" I respond eagerly.
 
"Fantastic. I'll see you then" he says, disconnecting the line. 
 
The clock at the end of the corridor reads 4 pm, mere few minutes from the end of my shift and I knock on Mr. Oh's door wondering if he would dismiss me earlier today.
 
"Sir I've updated the necessary materials and made arrangements for tomorrow. If there is nothing else can I be excused for practice?" I state, waiting for the green signal. 
 
"What practice Mr. Byun?" he queries aloud. 
 
"Mr. Zhang called and he wants me to head there to learn new routines" I explain, excited. 
 
"Sit tight Mr. Byun I will drive you there in a moment" Mr. Oh suggests gesturing towards an empty chair. 
 
"No no, Mr. Oh I'll be completely fine on my own" I instantly decline his offer to chauffeur me to the studio. 
 
"I have some important matters to attend with Yixing and Jongin myself" he dismisses and I acquiesce quietly. 
 
The front hallway is brightly lit unlike my first visit here and I directly make my way to the practice rooms while Mr. Oh trails behind me. 
 
"Hey there little devil" Mr. Kim welcomes, a portrait of joy and I step aside to clear his path towards Mr. Oh. 
 
"That hurts Baekhyun" Mr. Kim wrinkles his nose in poor resemblance of hurt. 
 
"I thought you meant Mr. Oh" I reply staring between the two men. It hadn't struck me to the consider the possibility of it being my nickname, when Satan himself was present. 
 
"Mr. Byun he most certainly was not" Mr. Oh tuts disapprovingly and I sidestep sheepishly. 
 
"Correct me if I'm wrong but is that sass I detected?" Mr. Kim guffaws.
 
"Yes. The sass of a three year old child" Mr. Oh answers in my stead and I frown grudgingly. 
 
"I thought it was pretty decent" I grumble. 
 
"I'll pay triple of what Sehun is paying, if you agree to be my Secretary" Mr. Kim extends his invitation seriously. 
 
"Mr. Oh doesn't pay me" is the only thing I can spout to refuse the absurd proposal. 
 
"Then why do you work for him, gorgeous?" Mr. Kim probes, skeptical. 
 
What is with all these nicknames I grouch mentally. 
 
"Because I have to pay him?" I mumble, fidgeting and see the cogs turning as he tries to decipher the underlying meaning. 
 
"If you are done seducing my secretary you can leave" Mr. Oh sighs, exasperated. 
 
"Seducing is beneath Hyung Sehunnie, I lay in wait while the bewitched saunter in" Mr. Kim imparts airily, as if dazzling people was a feat worthy of admiration. 
 
"So that's how Mr. Zhang fell for him" I mutter under my breath but it doesn't go unheard by them. 
 
"Baekhyun you are the living, breathing, sarcastic prodigy I have dreamt of training and I must have you" Mr. Kim declares, wiping tears of mirth. 
 
"Suho. Now" Mr. Oh prompts insistently and something about the name feels familiar. Wasn't he the same person who gave Mr. Jung the pass code to Mr. Oh's house? 
 
"I believe my gift has been received without harm" Mr. Kim hums, a Cheshire smile lighting up his alluring features. 
 
"Not entirely" I answer drawing his attention to my swollen wrist. 
 
"My apologies, I failed to account for the dragon's flailing temperament" Mr. Kim winces. 
 
"I'd guess this was a minor scrape considering the circumstances I found the dragon in" I cough and continue speaking in riddles so as to not alert Mr. Oh that he was the center of our conversation. 
 
"Interesting. Since you are indebted to me, perhaps we chat about this at a more convenient place?" Mr. Kim suggests and I nod inconspicuously. 
 
There were some mysteries I wanted to unveil myself. 
 
"Mr. Byun if I hear the word dragon one more time I will have you taking dictations from Miss Kang for an entire week" Mr. Oh scowls and the potential threat to my eardrums puts an end to our chit chat. 
 
"It astonishes me how you think everything has to revolve around you Sehunnie" Mr. Kim observes wryly. 
 
"Empire has released four editorials in the last three months alone of, Kim Junmyeon’s quick guide to fall fashion, Meet Kim Junmyeon the boy wonder turned nouveau riche, Kim Junmyeon's secret to creating everlasting fame and lest we should forget Kim Junmyeon on conquering his fears, when the only thing you've feared in your pampered existence, is scratching expensive Birkins and Louis Monet's. That extravagance is called the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills syndrome, not fear" Mr. Oh retorts, disdain dripping. 
 
"Sehunnie I'm sensing unresolved hostility from you and I honestly feel attacked. Would you care to address these issues in the next therapy session?" Mr. Kim huffs, clutching his heart dramatically. 
 
"I'd rather not. I prefer seizing the opportunities to slander  you as they come" Mr. Oh smiles, quite angelic. 
 
"Young man you need to respect your elders" Mr. Kim chides and their childish banter is extremely amusing. 
 
"Er...I'm sorry Mr. Oh but I'll be going ahead" I announce, starting towards the door. 
 
"Don't loiter" Mr. Oh taunts for added measure. 
 
"I'm just waiting for my dinner date Sehunnie please stop antagonising me or the next sharpest object I spot will be lodged in your body" Mr. Kim beams instantly focusing his energy to irritate Mr. Oh. 
 
"Yixing will be busy in his lessons with Mr. Byun" Mr. Oh replies. 
 
"Sehun what are you doing here darling?" a feminine voice interjects. 
 
The woman who emerges from the elevator is clad in an elegant dress and her hair is coiffed to perfection. The beauty and grace she exudes eclipses any of the grandeur adorning her. Garnet lips curl into a smile that crinkles around her gentle eyes and the resemblance is almost eerie. 
 
"Mother what are you doing here?" Mr. Oh implores, joining her. 
 
"Junmyeon and I had some business to discuss honey" her slender hands pat Mr. Oh's cheek lovingly. 
 
Oh almighty gods of college students and the saviors from their eternal uppery I beseech you to kindly save me from this mortifying encounter. 
 
"You didn't have to exert yourself mother. Junmyeon could have visited the main residence" Mr. Oh fusses.
 
"Nonsense darling, I am fully capable of travelling anywhere I please" Mrs. Oh hushes her son's concern. 
 
"He is never nice to me" Mr. Kim comments petulantly and that causes her to laugh in endearment. 
 
"Jun was Sehun bullying you again?" Mrs. Oh asks, her gaze knowing. 
 
"Not at all mother. I was merely acquainting him with his ego, which seems to have grown rather large since I last met him" Mr. Oh shrugs, claiming innocence as if it was one of his more believable or associative traits. 
 
"Vanity is for the weak my darling and Jun has no use for it" Mrs. Oh defends the preening Mr. Kim. 
 
"He gets worse everytime you indulge him mother" Mr. Oh groans exasperated and the resulting leer from Mr. Kim, increases my gratitude for Minseok Hyung by tenfolds. I couldn't survive the constant gloating if hyung was that insufferable. 
 
"Auntie this is Byun Baekhyun, our new trainee and he sings like an absolute dream. If you ever need a retake of the 70's melodies I'll have Baekhyun send you tapes" Mr Kim introduces when I draw attention to myself in my haste to disappear. 
 
"Baekhyun this is Mrs. Oh Hyesoon, Sehun's mother and my beloved aunt" Mr. Kim continues and I completely freeze. 
 
"P-pleased to make your acquaintance Ma'am" I bow and nearly knock my forehead to my trembling knees. 
 
"Your uncle told me you were dating a beautiful young man. Is this him honey?" Mrs. Oh enquires with a teasing lilt in her words. 
 
"N-no ma'am. I'm just his-" I shudder and blush simultaneously. I couldn't lift my head and look them in the eye or finish the sentence. 
 
Could there be greater mortification? Mr. Oh's mother thought Mr. Oh and I were dating when in fact I was that drunk fool who had dared to destroy her exorbitant token of love. 
 
"Mr. Byun is a student in our academy but I had him transferred here for additional coaching. I must say his talent is singular" Mr. Oh clarifies, filling in the gaps. 
 
"He will participate in the Annual Novice Invitational, you must come see him aunty" Mr. Kim is relentless and I silently plead him to stop. 
 
I didn't know what Invitational he was referring to but whatever it was I am certain I couldn't do it in the foreseeable future much less while Mrs. Oh was in attendance. 
 
"I would love to. I do adore the pieces Yixing arranges for the trainees, especially Sehun's duets" Mrs. Oh indulges the insane plan. 
 
"Have you chosen your partner for this year Sehunnie?" Mr. Kim prods, loud and gleeful. 
 
"Not yet" Mr. Oh grits out unwillingly. 
 
"Excellent. Baekhyun do you mind being Sehun's partner?" Mr. Kim simpers. 
 
In other words, did I mind dying? 
 
"Mr. Byun is an amateur and has no prior experience in performing duets" Mr. Oh snaps. 
 
"Mr. Oh is right" I assure. 
 
"I'm sure you and Yixing can train him until he is better. You do have an entire month to work your magic" he goads undeterred and Mr. Oh scowls darkly. 
 
"Darling, give him a fair chance and if he is as good as Jun says he is, you will have nothing to regret. Baekhyun is lovely and he certainly looks like he can manage your standards" Mrs. Oh insists sweetly and I cannot fathom why she assumed I could match her son's unparalleled talent. 
 
"Baekhyun I was waiting-" Mr. Zhang exclaims accompanied by Jongin and I nearly weep in relief. 
 
"What's happening here?" Jongin wonders, watching the scene before him warily and I curb the urge to scream save me. 
 
"We found Sehunnie his partner for the Novice Invitational, you can tell Miyong and Soojin to make themselves scarce" Mr. Kim enthuses and I marvel at the man's blatant disregard for my consent in this suicide mission. 
 
"What?" Mr. Zhang utters and apprises my panic stricken demeanor. 
 
"Please" I mouth silently. 
 
"But Baekhyun joined us recently and we haven't taught him an appropriate routine for the event. Besides we can't be sure that his style of dancing is compatible with Sehun's and it could lead to a disaster if they're not comfortable around each other" Mr. Zhang reasons and I thank my stars for his intervention. An angel in the flesh, indeed. 
 
"I agree mother" Mr. Oh comments, calmer than earlier. 
 
"Babe you wouldn't know until you try and I for once think the pairing is perfect" Mr. Kim persists past his lover's apprehension. 
 
"I trust you to handle this Yixing" Mrs. Oh declares, finally excusing herself and her glowing nephew treads along. 
 
"Mr. Zhang I c-can't do this" I plead urgently. 
 
"Let's head inside first" he sighs and I follow. 
 
"Sehun, Baekhyun we have no choice. We are going to get this done" Jongin states resolutely. 
 
"Absolutely not" Mr. Oh rejects straightaway and I am too tired to argue. 
 
"Jongin how do you plan to bring Baekhyun up to speed in a matter of month?" Mr. Zhang groans, frustrated. 
 
I almost offer my condolences but realize I was pretty much doomed and had no business feeling sorry for others. 
 
"It's impossible" I whisper, wallowing in misery. 
 
"Sehun for whatever reason, your mother is determined to see this through and Junmyeon hyung will not stop until he has his way. So you will cooperate and help Baekhyunnie, unless you want the whole cavalry hunting you" Jongin points.
 
What in God's name was happening? I had not only met Oh Hyesoon but had somehow been forced to become her erratic son's dance partner and no one seemed to care about the fact that I could not miraculously learn to dance in thirty days. 
 
"You are well aware of how complicated my choreographies are and Mr. Byun cannot learn them in such a short amount of time. Important guests and recruiters will be attending from various Entertainment Companies and I cannot jeopardize the integrity of the show" Mr. Oh spits, ready to wage hell. 
 
"I know what this means to you Sehun and I promise given enough practice, Baekhyun can ace the performance" Mr. Zhang quells his murderous glower with a cherubic, dimpled beam. 
 
"Baekhyun you don't have to be afraid Sehun, Yixing Hyung and I will help you. Trust me, when I say we can have you ready for the Invitational" Jongin winks, crouching low to hold my quivering hand. 
 
What were they so confident about? I had the finesse of an enormous bear and the coordination of a drunk bafoon. 
 
Not to mention my notorious left feet. 
 
"But Jongin all of you can dance bindfolded and I can't even walk without maiming myself. I am a ing catastrophe and I will ruin everything" I wail helplessly. 
 
"Now you're just exaggerating Baekhyunnie. Sure you dance funny but it's nothing that can't be improved. You have Lord Kim Jongin offering his services and you my dude cannot go wrong" he grins mischievously while dragging me upright. 
 
"Let's start you off with stretches and something simple for today" Mr. Zhang beckons towards the ballet bars, next to the mirrors. 
 
"Stretch your legs forward" Jongin guides placing his left hand, right ankle on the barre and pointing his foot sharply.
 
After of having my body, twisted and pulled unimaginably Jongin allows me to settle down and feel every muscle burning in protest. We had barely begun and I was already exhausted. 
 
"Baekhyun please watch and take notes carefully" Mr. Zhang says and Jongin eases into his position behind him. Everything is blurred limbs and tangled bodies for the next five minutes while sensual music fills the room and they twirl in harmony. 
 
"That's all. Simple isn't it?" Jongin beams and sweat beads slide across his skin from the intense acrobatic act. 
 
"Jongin you're deluding yourselves" I decide and quickly run to the exit but Jongin captures me before I can make my escape. 
 
"Please Jongin please" I beg as he lugs me to the center of the floor and Mr. Oh observes my fruitless struggle in quiet contemplation.
 
Why wasn't he yelling and causing a ruckus anymore? 
 
"Baekhyun it's seriously not that hard, you are overreacting" Jongin repeats over and over again until he has turned me around and positioned himself. 
 
I catch Mr. Oh's eyes in the mirror and hope he would put an end to this madness but he remains unfettered and sullen. 
 
There was not a cell in my body that believed I could jump, sway and twirl to the melody like Mr. Zhang and Jongin had done so gracefully. The prospect was beyond my abilities and I certainly couldn't do it with Mr. Oh while managing to stay alive. 
 
"Move" Mr. Oh grunts. 
 
"Sehun don't" Jongin groans. 
 
"Mr. Oh you can't possibly expect-" I whine petulantly
 
"I warned you to be mindful Mr. Byun" he cuts me off. 
 
"I was" I pout and he fixes the bandages that have loosened. 
 
"You will come to the practice whenever you're called Mr. Byun and you will learn the dance by the end of this month as if it were your sole purpose of existence. And if you imagine quitting will solve the problem or if you so much as put a toe in the wrong position I will have you chained to my desk for the rest of eternity. Are we clear Mr. Byun?" Mr. Oh warns his manner betraying none of the previous reluctance and I gape in horror.
 
Was he serious? 
 
"Crystal" I grumble and Mr. Oh places his hands on my waist, manuovering my body until his firm chest is pressed against my back. 
 
"Wonderful" he praises wryly. 
 
"Mr. Oh I think Jongin should teach me the routine first" I stutter when the subtle movements of his torso brush my shoulder blades. 
 
"I am your partner Mr. Byun not Jongin and I suggest you get used to my hands on your body, because soon that will be the only thing you feel or need" he whispers, leaning closer to the shell of my ear and goosebumps cover my sweaty skin. 
 
How was I supposed to concentrate on dancing when this man I had been secretly drooling over for weeks was breathing in my personal space and destroying the remnants of my self control? 
 
 
 
TAEYONG'S POV
 
 
Two years of pining had finally come to this very moment and I was somehow disappointed that my confession had shocked Sunbae instead of garnering practically any other emotion that showed I still had a shot to be something more than his friend. 
 
I gather my discarded sweatshirt and straighten my appearance, deciding to leave Sunbae alone to mull over his thoughts. If I gave him some time hopefully, he would see the situation differently and not with all the hate I was beginning to fear. 
 
"I wish you would say something" I sigh, needing the reassurance that I hadn't completely destroyed everything between us.
 
"I'm trying" Sunbae whispers, sinking to the empty chair beside the desk I was sprawled on a while ago. 
 
"Maybe it is better that you don't because I'm afraid Sunbae will say something that will give me a reason to not return to your side and that would hurt me more than your rejection" I laugh, despite the tears that had already made their escape. 
 
"Tae" Sunbae huffs, using his longer strides to cross the distance between us. The familiar arms draw me close and I bury my face against his chest, letting the sobs wrack through. 
 
"This is your fault, this is all your fault. You should have let me go when I asked you to, you shouldn't have kissed me when you didn't plan to stay, you shouldn't have made me feel as though I had a chance and I never would have told you that I liked you" I play the blame game. 
 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Tae" Sunbae apologizes wiping the stray tears and tightening his embrace. 
 
"That's not enough anymore. For years I've watched you be someone else's and not once did I hate you because I was just content watching those other people make you happy. But today I want nothing more than for you to suffer the way I am" I yell, hating those words even as they left my mouth. 
 
"Tae please stop crying, I haven't answered yet" Sunbae pleads. 
 
"I already know what you are going to say" I hiccup, ignoring his attempt to comfort me. 
 
"How could you when I don't even know yet?" he reasons leaving peppering chaste kisses across my face. 
 
"Well then why are you kissing me if you don't know?" I huff evading his touches that were clouding my anger. 
 
"I can't help it if you're so pretty Tae" Sunbae groans, pulling me back towards him. 
 
"You can't possibly expect me to buy that when you literally looked like you would rather be anywhere else in this world" I snap, biting the hand that tries to pat my hair. 
 
"Because I was shocked out of my wits Tae and you have never given me any hints that screamed Sunbae I like you" he explains patiently. 
 
"I practically followed you everywhere, no matter you wanted me there or not, how could you not understand? Baekhyun Hyung, Minseok Hyung and Jongdae Hyung understood even before I told them anything" I scoff taken aback by how dense Sunbae was. 
 
"I've been an extremely shallow haven't I?" he broods regretfully. 
 
"I should have waited until the day you graduated and left the Academy. Maybe if I didn't see how perfect you are everyday then I could have moved on and fallen in love with someone else" I sigh, realizing how stupid I was to imagine this would go well. 
 
"That sounds an awful lot like you want to give up on me" he grumbles, all traces of humor gone. 
 
"Wouldn't you if you were me?" I retort. 
 
"That isn't fair Tae. You haven't given me a chance to recognize my own feelings" he complains. 
 
"Sunbae you are straight and I am gay what more is there to be understood?" I laugh cynically. 
 
"The whole time you've been talking and crying I wanted nothing more than to kiss you Tae. I doubt that's the normal line of thought for someone claiming to be straight" he chuckles, squishing my cheeks between his warm palms. 
 
"Stop lying" I mumble, embarrased by the honest admission. 
 
"If you agree to go on a date with me I can show you how wrong you are" Sunbae suddenly interjects. 
 
"Sunbae that's really not funny" I splutter shocked that he would joke about this. 
 
"Taeyong I'm serious, I want to take you out. I suppose that sounds condescending when I haven't given you a proper answer but I would be lying if I said I have been seeing you as my hoobae for the past few weeks. You threw me for a loop since you ran away from the studio and I can't stop thinking about what would have happened if I had stopped you" Sunbae continues earnestly. 
 
"You're crazy" I whisper unable to hide the disbelief from my voice. 
 
"Will you?" he questions, adamant. 
 
"No" I answer and Sunbae does a poor job of disguising his disappointment. 
 
"Why?" he sulks, head hanging low. 
 
"I deserve more than one date Sunbae. There is so much you don't know about me or the things I have done to remain close to you. Chasing after the Park Chanyeol for two years has been an expensive affair, for both my heart and my wallet. I have bought tickets twenty minutes before your concert began when I swore to myself I wouldn't and that it would only hurt me. But those were your achievements and I couldn't forgive myself if I missed them" I chuckle at his stunned expression but Sunbae surprises me when he captures my lips in a searing kiss. 
 
"Remember how you're always clinging onto Baekhyun because he brings you food?" Sunbae grumbles. 
 
"Yes" I nod wondering where this was heading. 
 
"I leave those chicken wings, strawberry macaroons and  yogurt smoothies outside the practice hall" he smirks. 
 
"I assumed they were from Baekhyun Hyung" I pout, annoyed that I hadn't caught him sneaking around. 
 
"Trust me, the only person Baekhyun buys food for, is himself" he gloats and I am mortified to have misunderstood. 
 
"Why did you keep it a secret?" 
 
"Then I couldn't have hid behind the pillar and enjoyed the sight of you eating" Sunbae grins, sheepish. 
 
 "Seems like there are some things I don't know about Sunbae either" I admit grudgingly. 
 
"Which is why we should have dinner, together, today and I can eventually tell you how many times I have stalked you inside and outside the college" Sunbae teases. 
 
"Who are you?" I sputter, flabbergasted by these little revelations. 
 
"Jihwaja at 7pm. I'll pick you up" Sunbae states. 
 
"Too stuffy. Can we go to Rocko's Diner? I've always wanted to go there with you" I suggest, wanting to spend the evening in a quiet place. 
 
"Burger, fries and chocolate milkshake on our first date? Hell yes" Sunbae cheers, pulling me along towards the parking lot. 
 
After spending hours torn over what to wear and nearly calling to cancel, Sunbae puts me out of my misery by arriving earlier than the decided time. The diner is barely crowded and the waitress gives us our private booth beside the wall covered in authentic retro memorabilia. 
 
The hours pass quickly while Sunbae tells me stories of how he had followed me around since the day he saved me from the bullies. I had always been curious as to why they had stopped causing trouble for me all together and now I knew who was responsible for that.
 
We almost get thrown out of the diner when I narrate the incident where I was in a fender bender because I tailed Sunbae and the table shakes dangerously with his racuous laughter. The memory doesn't seem so embarrassing when it becomes the reason for his amusement. 
 
"Let's eat ice cream Tae" Sunbae prompts when we're walking down the empty street towards the parking lot. 
 
"Wouldn't dream of saying no to that" I agree, excited that the evening hadn't ended yet. Sunbae tells me to wait by the swings in the public park and returns carrying two cones of ice cream. My self consciousness disappears as I watch him devour the impromptu desert and I follow suit. 
 
"Such a kid" he sighs rubbing the sticky spot on my nose. 
 
"Excuse me mister you are the one with a ridiculous mustache not me" I huff, satisfied that I made as much mess as him. 
 
"Food is an art Tae you must appreciate it fully" Sunbae disregards the snub. 
 
"I want to taste yours" I respond, sticking my tongue out. 
 
"Close your eyes then" Sunbae urges and I regard him suspiciously. 
 
"I'm leaving you alone if you do anything weird" I warn. 
 
"I swear I won't" he chuckles uncontrollably and I indulge his demand. 
 
"Cheater" I whisper while Sunbae's lips caress mine slowly. 
 
It was softer than the kiss we had shared in the classroom but more meaningful now that I knew where we were headed. The taste of chocolate and something distinctly Sunbae invades my mouth. Our tongues explore eagerly and I abandon the ice cream in exchange for sitting on Sunbae's lap. 
 
"Is this going to be a thing now?" I stutter while he nibbles the skin beneath my earlobe. 
 
"What do you mean Tae? I was just giving you a taste" Sunbae smirks tickling my sides relentlessly and I break into giggles.