Mistake

He Left Me Breathless

ed

To the many pairs of inquisitive eyes in this classroom it was a simple six letters word. But to Byun Baekhyun it had the power to explain the overwhelming sweat soaking his hair, the fierce heart burns and why his nerves resembled the strings of a worn out guitar.

What had he done to offend the gods so viciously?

What grave sin had he committed to have achieved such rotten fate?

Because if there were ever a list for the most disastrous coincidences in the history of human beings, this exact moment would be within the top ten easily. How had he gotten here? Ah, that’s right…

Few Hours Earlier

The distant evening sun grazes the awning windows in the cavernous living hall, throwing vaguely distorted and geometrical shadows. A superficial appraisal of the house reveals its emptiness and the undisturbed cushions on the couch add weight to my lingering confusion.

Where was everyone?

This was truly strange for a group of people who transformed into obvious lazybones having completed their so called "strict" 8 hour schedule. Which according to me was, complete bull because I had caught them casting Boys Over Flowers memes on the projector more often than not.

Work smarter not harder was Byun senior's most cherished quote and an advice that he outrageously imparted to every Tom, and Harry. Hence, making the existence of an eager beaver such as I, a miracle despite their fooling around and couldn't-care-less attitude.

"Mom...Mom...Mom" I impatiently wheeze, my vocal chords absolutely ragged from humming melodies and shredding notes, since, well practically the crack of dawn.

"CONNNN-GRATU-LATION-SSS" explodes the off key version of the song and I bolt upwards, dangerously close to the sharp overhanging sword. My family stands, holding a trophy shaped cake littered in candles while giddily absorbing the reaction their surprise had caused.

"You guys didn't have to" I protest and grin unable to contain the creeping satisfaction.

"I think we’re going to need a new cupboard at this rate, son" my father observes and his warm eyes crinkle about the edges stretching into my favorite smile.

"24 Gold’s and counting" my brother beams flaunting the shiny, polished plaque.

"My son is doing so well that it makes mom want to give him the world" my mother coos engulfing me in her comforting embrace. It was the reminder and acknowledgement that I yearned for everyday, especially during the bad breaks.

"Come to the kitchen" Chanyeol yells and I basically run heeding his abrupt summons. This was our established tradition. Every competition that I won earned a special meal from Chanyeol and unconditional service of all kinds.

"What did I tell you?" Jongdae smirks rubbing the medal in Chanyeol's frustrated face. My best friend’s support system was slightly different than the normal, they bet on my chances of winning and Chanyeol almost always lost because of his unwavering yet misguided optimism for victory.

"Can you please give me a break once in a while? My hands are coated in dry skin" he complains placing a huge bowl on the place mat. This was my extended family, minus a missing person and since we barely left each other's house we fully qualified as such.

"Winning is a habit" I add arrogantly and receive a playful spank from Minseok hyung.

"Humility is every winner's first trait" he points, criticizing. Hyung was the rock that anchored me and the shelter, when the storms raged. We had been through the thick and the thin together. His fierce loyalty and overprotectiveness was the reason I depended on him wholly. Though we were not related by blood it was obvious we were related by heart.

It may be extremely selfish to think so but I am endlessly grateful for the woman who had abandoned the wailing child. And I was even more thankful that my parents had made the amazing decision to raise the barely clothed baby as if he was their very own.

"Where is Kyungsoo?" I ask leaning against the counter.

"He has a rehearsal. He should be here in a few minutes." Jongdae's usual loud behavior is subdued and it spikes my curiosity. It happened whenever Minseok hyung was close and I couldn't really understand it. He was not someone who piped down on anyone's account but where Minseok hyung was concerned he was quiet as a mouse and hyung who was usually very composed seemed flustered. I sensed where this is heading but still make a mental note to confirm it with Jongdae later. Neither he nor hyung would deny me an explanation but I didn't want to start anything unnecessarily awkward.

"Is he getting that?” I ask jumping excitedly.

"Yes, two large strawberry puddings and cherry pies for us" Chanyeol recites the message I had sent.

Chanyeol and I were currently studying in our second year at Oh Academy of Arts, only the most prestigious college in South Korea for the aspiring artists. It was an exhilarating and grueling experience, something we had worked our asses off for. The Academy produced nearly all the leading idols in the industry. If they were famous and had landed a spot in one of the top entertainment companies right off the bat, you knew they had graduated from here.

It was no small task to complete the comprehensive and intensive three year course. There was a practical assessment for your skills at the end of every week and anyone who did not meet the instructors standards were expelled mercilessly. Every aspect of the university embodied its motto "In excellence and perseverance we believe".

We shared the same majors except, where Chanyeol opted for musical instruments I had chosen dancing. Simply put it was virtually impossible and a privilege to be part of the institution.

Two years under the tutor’s guidance had fine-tuned my abilities to such an extent that the Dean now recommended me for every singing competition and I had yet to disappoint. Chanyeol was a literal prodigy in the making he could play 7 different instruments perfectly, rap and act. Not to mention the numerous remarkable Agencies that had already scouted him.

"I'm going to have to rob a bank to feed you" Kyungsoo announces entering the kitchen.

"I'll try not to make you file for bankruptcy" I say sheepishly.

"Why would he have to worry about that when he has Jongin?" Chanyeol teases, stupid as ever and Kyungsoo swiftly lands a stinging smack on his head to hide his embarrassment. He never learns, Kyungsoo was the kind of person who drew clear boundaries. He would gladly tolerate you until that edge but if you were to cross it or somehow mortify him in the process you'd surely catch the deadly mantis hands. Unfortunately Chanyeol didn’t understand the art of reading between the lines.

"This shouldn't be termed a celebration anymore. You're just making it an expensive family gathering every time you win" Kyungsoo quips, the perfect dose of reality that everyone needed. He never hesitated before revealing my flaws or how to fix them, making him my ideal vocal coach. Kyungsoo had graduated a year earlier because of his exceptional talent, which not only got him recognized by Julliard but also secured a full ride scholarship. He is currently training in Y.J. Entertainment Company, an elite among the A list.

He supervised all our competitions and assignments like a diligent invigilator. I couldn't possibly have picked someone better, because though we had opposite personalities we shared the same worries and same opinions on most matters. It was an unlikely but wonderful friendship. I was probably the single person Kyungsoo responded to because that boy's intolerance towards small talk deserved an award. Chanyeol would scream his name for hours and go unnoticed by him effortlessly. It’s not that he didn't enjoy talking to others or didn't care enough to react; he did not want to endure the trouble of exchanging unnecessary words. He truly was the saint of silence sometimes and the absolute opposite on other occasions.

"Are you free tonight?” I question, an idea developing. It had been ages since any of us had gone for drinks and silly dancing.

"I'm free" Chanyeol and Jongdae answer immediately.

"What about you hyung?"

"Sorry kiddo the hotel has to be opened early for a special event"

"Kyungja don't disappoint me" I warn ahead.

"I was planning to get some work done for the concert" he says referring to the upcoming performance.

"Yeah he was planning to get some work done on Jongin" Chanyeol teases and this time I hit him.

"Hey stop that you're murdering my brain cells" he wails massaging the sore spot.

"If there's any left that is" Kyungsoo mocks cheerfully.

"Okay back to the topic" I remind them.

"Fine I'll come" he gives in finally.

"Great! Let's leave" I announce.

"How is it that the one guy who can't hold his liquor is more excited about going to the club than those who can?" Jongdae asks sarcastically.

"Tomorrow our vacation ends and I want to let loose before we begin. I have 6 subjects to pass this semester" I explain my dilemma.

"Yeah we're authoring a book called 101 ways to die quickly" Chanyeol adds faking joy.

"It is already a roaring success in the batch" I exaggerate.

"Okay shut up peasants I know what you're trying" Kyungsoo interrupts us wryly.

"It's alright Kyungsoo you already handled the food I'll reserve the bottle service" Minseok hyung offers, an angel in disguise.

"We're just poor college students and as the bread winners of this household you must look after your dongsaeng's" I plead.

"You are the only useless person in this group. Chanyeol got paid 900,000 for his previous job and Jongdae sold his software for 15 million" Kyungsoo scolds entirely unimpressed.

"Why are you comparing me to them? Chanyeol is bloody Midas, anything he touches turns to gold and Jongdae is a genius, even the face reader said so" I splutter, provoked

"Kyungsoo-ah go easy on him" Minseok hyung laughs.

"Minnie Hyung someone needs to tell this idiot to quit fooling around"

"Yah, Yah Pororo just you wait! When I become famous I'm going to drown you in so much money that you'll be Jongin’s sugar daddy" I retort fired up.

"Yeah right, that is if they even let your sorry debut" he deadpans.

"Kyungsoo is on a roll" Chanyeol whistles.

"I hate to ruin the fun but we need to make a move" Jongdae cuts in.

"Everything is set. You’re bound to get stuck in traffic at this rate" Minseok hyung suggests.

The club is already crawling with people and packed to the brim. The LED lights shine colorfully on the elevated dance floor and girls in latex dresses are suspended from the ceiling supported by a thin rope, it was a theme night I suppose. Chanyeol veers clear off all the women who try to engage him in a conversation and makes a beeline for the bar.

"Four vodka shots please" he orders sliding onto the chair.

"Cheers" we shout over the enthusiastic backdrop. The cool liquid burns in my throat and I reach for the salt to reduce the bite.

"More" I urge wanting to feel the buzz strongly and the cocktails flow until my body feels light. The dance floor beckons seductively and I drag Chen. We sway to music, not caring about how stupid it might seem and the shot of adrenaline is blissful.

Kyungsoo signals from the lounge and I close in for another swig of alcohol. A beautiful girl approaches our table, sights fixed on Chanyeol who is oblivious to the attention. I anticipate the pickup line that she no doubt googled but it never comes as he kisses the half-drunk Kyungsoo leaning against him. I spit the whiskey out and choke on air. The resulting expression is full of disgust and she strides away throwing snarky glances in our direction until, I flip the bird. This boy must be itching for a beating.

I stare at Kyungsoo wondering what Chanyeol's punishment would be but he just blinks blankly and relief floods me. Chanyeol had come very close to death today. Kyungsoo did not fool around and his wrath was like none other. Though he never openly admitted it, he was well and truly committed to Kim Jongin, one of the most effortlessly y men I'd ever seen. They had met each other in their agency and it hadn't taken the god long to make our Kyungsoo blush like a teenager in his presence. It was obvious they had feelings for each other but Kyungsoo was the most principled guy on Earth, he did not mingle business with pleasure. I was currently in the process of finding a way to make him realize that he had to lose this battle.

"You're lucky he's bombed" I giggle at Chanyeol's wary appearance.

"My whole life flashed before me in a second" he whispers.

"You should just tell them you're not interested" I recommend a safe alternative.

"I did! That was her third attempt and you were too far away so I risked it" he mutters guiltily.

"Try it and I'll break your neck" I threaten him.

"Kyungsoo is rubbing off on you" he sighs.

"I'm glad. You can be too much of a pain in the sometimes"

"Where's Jongdae?" he asks and I suddenly remember that I had ditched him.

"Ah crap! I left My Chen Chen alone" I whine and launch a search mission for the soft baby.

I scan the place thoroughly but can't see anything past the towering and swarming bodies. Maybe he's in the loo. The dim lights in the VIP section blind me and I trip in the darkness until I bump into a hard surface. My senses are fogged immediately by the sensual fragrance floating everywhere. It is so exotic that I unconsciously lean in aching to be closer and two very cold hands push me away.

"Sorry" I mumble, still stunned.

"This is precisely why you were instructed to fax the contract to the office" a deep voice snaps disapprovingly and reverberates deep in my belly.

"I apologize, sir. But the client requested a personal meeting repeatedly" comes the panicked reply.

"Then you should have arranged the gathering in the office not in a filthy club where drunk imbeciles wobble around carelessly" the deep voice continues growing more frigid and I realize he is referring to my blunder.

"It was too dark to see" I offer, desperately wanting this man to believe that I had really been clumsy and not seeking an opportunity to harass his magnificently snug white-shirt-covered body.

"Which is why, you are supposed to use the band on your wrist. It functions as a flashlight for a reason" he enlightens in the superior attitude I was beginning to appreciate regardless of the meaning behind the words.

"I didn't know" I stammer resisting the urge to his fabulously sharp jawline.

"Oh it’s alright, I don't normally expect an IQ higher than 20 from anyone I come across. You've safely maintained the perception" His tone is so humiliating that I blush in shame. This man was taking it too far. I had already apologized for my fault but he was flinging insults in spite of that. Why couldn't people just accept the nicety and move on? Now I was mad and the mixture of booze coursing through my blood was only intensifying the effect.

"There is no point to your rudeness" I grit.

"Just stating facts" he affirms insensitively.

"Are you always this big of an ?”

"You were in my personal space sniffing me like a dog for minutes, completely disregarding any concept of manners” he chuckles and I quiver with barely contained anger.

"I was not, you delusional jerk" I yell.

“You are wasting precious time people would pay millions for. Please stop being a nuisance and step aside" he says dismissively and my temper flies off the wagon.

"The only nuisance in here is you" I exclaim and dump the contents of my bottle on him.

"What the-" he curses furiously and I stumble to the wall.

He clenches my elbow forcefully and the light finally illuminates his face. Holy  . He was stunning. Anger had never looked so heavenly. Gasping at the pressure he's exerting I realize my mistake, as the beer drips down from his hair. I open my mouth to apologize again but the other man intervenes agitatedly offering towels. He releases me momentarily to accept it and I seize the chance to disappear into the unlit corridor. My heart was pounding and I couldn't get his beautifully beer soaked face out of my head. I was in so much trouble if he sent someone looking for me. Curse my sassy tongue.

"What happened?" Jongdae asks.

"Got lost" I huff.

"Idiot."

"Hey drink your own damn beer" he grumbles as I gulp the whole thing.

"I threw it" I respond bleakly.

"Where?" Kyungsoo questions, suddenly alert.

"On a person. An extremely handsome person." I sigh.

"You see why he doesn't get laid" Kyungsoo announces triumphantly to Chanyeol.

"He called me a moron for just slamming against him. It wasn't even my fault, it was so bloody dark" I complain nonstop.

"You see why he doesn't get laid" Jongdae repeats and I glare at them.

"I'm going to get smashed before that dude sends a sniper to kill me"

I don't know how many vodka bottles we finish until I am laughing as a guy twirls me about and the next moment I'm woken up by blinding sunlight. I swear soundly and cringe at the smell of my breath. The blanket won't budge and I cry, half way to throwing one of my legendary sleep deprived morning tantrums. A stray leg lands on my waist heavily and I hear Chanyeol's characteristic snore echoing loudly in my ears. I try to push back but his giant arms are wrapped too tightly. It was too ing hot and it didn't help that Chanyeol loved cuddling.

"What time is it?" I grumble sleepily.

"I don't know" he groans rummaging for his phone.

"Where are Kyungsoo and Jongdae?" I ask and find them curled into balls like a pair of kittens on the other end. Where was the camera when you needed it?

"Baekhyun-ah what does it say here?" Chanyeol grumbles and unsteadily passes the phone.

"It's 10 ‘o’clock" I read and realization strikes like a bolt of lightning. The classes were scheduled from 10:30 a.m.

I jolt upwards and pull the still sleeping Chanyeol off the bed with me. His body is motionless and I have to jerk him awake continuously.

"What? What’s wrong?" he startles and I laugh at his foolishness instantly regretting it as my head throbbed painfully. I bite down the wave of nausea and wipe the tears. No time to puke.

"We have half an hour to get to college" I scream through the agony.

"Oh " he chants as the hangover hits him all at once.

I bet he wanted to crawl in to a hole but not as much as I wanted to die and never breathe again.

"What's your first hour?" he asks, panic sinking in.

"Dance" I shriek just remembering that I was going to be late for my very first class with a new teacher who I had no clue about. Way to go Baekhyun way to go. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll eventually get your degree.

I pull myself up and dash to the bathroom to finish the morning routine. Chanyeol rushes in soon after and hands me two Advil’s. I gulp it down gratefully and set about looking for my bag and training gear. The room is so messy that I barely find two skinny jeans, plain t shirts and hoodies, both belonging to Chanyeol whose clothes I loved stealing.

“My gosh, your punctuality is impressive” Minseok hyung greets smugly.

"Please call an ambulance" I whine and he gives two large cups of steaming coffee.

"You deserve it" he smirks and I accept it thankfully. Chanyeol runs down and grabs the cup while dragging me out the door, a hasty good morning and see you later flung at hyung. We break hundreds of laws as his black range rover takes us to college in record time. We're late by five minutes but considering the situation I draw it up to my good luck for not being later. I promise to meet him in our next class and take four flights of stairs like some mad rabbit. The studio door stands open and I enter formulating an excuse with a quick bow. Hopefully, the teacher wasn't strict enough to toss me out for this.

"You are late" is the first thing I hear. I straighten up to offer more apologies but freeze in shock.

Is this some sick joke?

My mouth is dry as the desert and I pray this is a dream. Otherwise this would be the last day I ever step foot in this college.

Just when I thought I had caught a break.

There before me stood the unbearably gorgeous man from the club yesterday with his perfectly thick eyebrows scrunched in irritation. His blissfully plump lips purse disapprovingly and I sense that he's struggling internally to control his rage.

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean to..." I begin but his frightening glare destroys the words. This was a fiasco. How the hell was I supposed to pass this class when I had already seriously offended the professor?

I bow again and silently exit the class. In the passage I run forwards and hear the door unlock with a loud Baekhyun. I don't pause knowing full well that if I did I would certainly be slaughtered in front of the whole class and left to hang as an example. My day was getting better and better.