Punishment

He Left Me Breathless

“And here I thought you finally grew a conscience Mr. Byun” he drags the sentence lazily.

"Mr. Oh Seonsaengnim I -" I start while nervously fidgeting with my fingers, about five feet away from him. I carefully shielded myself from any punches he may decide to throw after tackling the infamous talent of mine in aggravating people effortlessly.

"Seiza" he interrupts, his expression so bored that I believe he probably hasn’t said anything. He could have been reading a damn newspaper for all the emotion he displayed.

"What?" I inquired not having heard him properly.

"Seiza Mr. Byun" he repeats just as blankly and I wonder, completely dumfounded.

The phrase seems awfully familiar for some reason and I stress the cells in my brain not occupied in virtually stripping him to go through the extensive list of animated movies I had binge watched to decipher what it meant. Suddenly a scene from Naruto Shippuden flashes before me.

Was he…?

Did he…?

He wants me to sit kneeling on the floor? Well this was unexpected. I contemplate pretending to be ignorant to the term but the mood in the room conveys that I would only invite his fury hundred folds stronger.

Well, I suppose this was all ‘part’ of the process.

I quell my raging pride and follow his indifferent command, folding my knees and resting my entire weight upon them. If embarrassment had a brand ambassador I would undoubtedly qualify for the post, having easily made a fool of myself in the span of 48 hours in multiple scenarios.

I cannot look up at him or respond to his attitude. My humiliation rose to its peak.

"Do you know I hate gifts Mr. Byun?" he questions slowly and I am beyond dazed.

"No…" I eventually answer, realizing he's actually waiting for an opinion. Was this a test? Is the trap he is laying elaborate enough to trip me head on?

"Never quite understood their purpose or appreciated the idea. Do you perhaps consider it the same way Mr. Byun?” he demands analyzing the documents in the folder marked by the Oh Enterprises logo. What the hell should I say in return?

“I’m not s-su-sure” I stammer hurriedly as his presence scares my judgment. The room was boiling hot and it was surprising since there were three air conditioners functioning in lowest temperatures. Please don’t let me faint. Please don’t let me faint.

“The only person who I accept them from is my mother and those instances are between rare and almost never" he offers conversationally.

"She must give great gifts then" I retort and smack myself mentally. Yes Baekhyun yes. Please keep provoking him. That’s a fantastic idea. He will definitely remain calm and deal with this situation patiently. What on Earth has possessed me? Not only was I being utterly embarrassing but impolite to top it all off.

"She does. Her taste is flawless. But the point is, how am I supposed to feel when the one time I go outside wearing the gift she so graciously selected, someone decides to bathe it in cheap, trashy alcohol? The seats in my Bentley are permanently ruined due to your stunt" he observes eyes glinting dangerously and it dawns on me that maybe I'd never leave in the shape I came in.

"Seonsaengnim I am extremely ashamed of what happened" I declare glaring at my thighs intensely and the guilt is brutally harsh for ruining his occasional, valuable gift. I had no clue and I certainly hadn’t considered anything besides my wounded ego back then.

"Mr. Byun I am a very busy man, unlike you my schedules are accounted and compensated for" he states sternly and it feels as though I am running on eggshells. He was obviously not cutting me any slack for the level of stupidity I had exposed.

"What I- mea-nt was" I stutter, throat dry and dehydrated.

"60 seconds Mr. Byun. It is what I am willing to spare for this impractical attempt" he announces, jaws locking in restrained anger and I draw a deep breath in to steady my nerves. Everything about him was frightening and I couldn't ignore that. It felt like being pushed down with an invisible hammer and the position was not helping. I couldn’t guess his reactions nor could I imagine this ending in the outcome I desired.

He had my entire future resting on his side of the court and I had to make a real effort. If I screwed this up, I would have no other opportunity to make it right. I had worked tirelessly to reach this far, there was no chance I was letting it go because I couldn't get over how attractive and powerful this man was.

"I'm truly sorry for losing my cool in the club. I was incredibly drunk and half sensible at best. If I had known who you were things would have been enormously different" I squeak rushing through the whole sentence before I got cold feet.

"I am not used to anyone treating me in that manner Mr. Byun especially when it was so unreasonable. From a student who was accepted into my institution I expected more self-restraint and discipline. What you did, that night was against every principle we preach and to be fair your expulsion certificate has already been signed and sealed" he remarks and my heart freezes for few painful moments. I go numb with fear as my worst nightmare came to fruition and a panic filled wheeze escapes me while I struggle to stand abruptly.

"Seonsaengnim please don't do this, it was an idiotic mistake! Please give me another chance and I will not disappoint you or this Academy" I plead desperation clear in my voice.

"Mr. Byun we need students who are constantly raising the standards not bringing them to dirt" he comments, displeased.

"I will do anything you tell me to" I beg on the verge of tears and he watches me expressionlessly.

“Frankly your actions were inexcusable. If I aimed to have gangsters and hooligans to walk these halls I would have opened it exclusively for them” he snaps.

“Please let me prove I am better than this. My intention was not to dishonor the reputation or the motto of this institution. It was not motivated by any malicious goal whatsoever. I really don’t behave that way normally. Please I can’t lose this. My whole life depends on this” I continue convincing him as fear forces my sentences close to sobbing. Minutes seem to turn into hours when he scrutinizes me and the tenseness in my body makes me stiff as a stone.

“I am not sure there is still a possibility for trust left here” he says unconvinced.

“Please reconsider it Seonsaengnim. I cannot express how much I need this” I plead pathetically.

"In my class I don't want to hear a single word from you, if you have a doubt, an emergency, not a single thing” he states coldly.

“Yes sir” I answer immediately.

“Every evaluation at the end of the week cannot go below A- and I expect 100% attendance. No excuses will be accepted or tolerated. You’re sick, dying, dead I need you here” he adds seriously.

“These conditions are subject to change as and when I see fit. If you put even a toe out of the line I will make sure your career never sees the light of the day and trust me Mr. Byun there are a lot more people in this world who would obey me rather than employ you” he warns no trace of humor.

“I wouldn’t dare to sir” I say firmly. Was this called a shake down? Honestly, from where I stood I had literally been shook, stuck and dangled like an insignificant piece of fish bait.

“If you find these terms intolerable you may gladly show yourself out with your expulsion certificate. The exit is always open for you" he finishes smiling for the first time and a chill runs over me. He meant everything he had proposed and there wasn’t any space for escape or slacking off.

“Yes sir. I swear to abide by all that you’ve said without any complaints” I reply nevertheless.

“Excellent. Rafael you may bring those in” he instructs and suddenly a tall man wearing a black suit appears out of the blue. The surprise actually makes me flinch and I step back. He must be 6’3 at the least and no matter how I looked at him he didn’t seem Korean. The tan on his skin indicated, Spanish or Italian?

“Sir these are the documents you directed me to prepare” the man mentions not missing a beat.

“Please give them to Mr. Byun for checking” he utters coolly and the beanpole stretches a folder with typewritten papers towards me. His accompanying stare is tough and I ponder whether Mr. Oh loves surrounding himself with intimidating and terrifying people. Of course none I had seen could compare to his skills.

“What are these?” I ask confusedly glancing at the two sets of forms.

“That is the key to your future Mr. Byun” he murmurs distractedly and I pause. I mean this guy was telling me that the measly papers contained something this important and he wasn’t even bothered.

“I don’t understand sir”

“There seem to be a lot of things you don’t understand Mr. Byun for example, how to behave like a civilized human being, how to sign an NDA and an employment contract” he mocks and my head is about ready to burst. What was a ing NDA? Why is he asking me to sign them? And why is there an employment contract in this when I was not searching for a job? Is he packing me off to some random country?

“Why am I required to sign this?” I inquire.

“Rafael” he sighs and begins a conversation in some foreign language.

“In order to retain your admission and to secure repayment for the losses the Director has suffered due to your inappropriate actions you will now be employed as an employee in Oh Enterprises for a period extending to but not limited to a year. The purpose of the Non-Disclosure Agreement is so that you do not disclose this to anyone you know or interact with” he informs robotically and my misery is so apparent that he takes the files from my trembling hands.

“This is unfair” I whisper trying to make sense of it. I had done a mistake but I don’t think it deserved such severe punishment.

“Naturally this is your choice Mr. Byun, there is no compulsion and you can refuse if that’s what you wish” he says casually and I resist the urge to scream. How was this called a choice? He had cornered me with the threat of expulsion and now I had no other option to keep my safe.

“Do you have a pen?” I murmur, defeated.

“If I work for Oh Seonsaengnim for a year will I be forgiven?” I probe.

“Depends Mr. Byun. Are you planning to frequently visit the clubs I intend to buy and throw beer on me?” he retorts sarcastically and I blush. I’ll be darned if I drink water near him again.

“What about my other classes?”

It would be impossible to attend college when I was going to be working for him.

“You have an awful lot of questions for someone getting punished Mr. Byun” he comments wryly.

“The other teachers might give me failing grades if I’m not present in their classes” I mumble quietly.

“They won’t” his majesty pronounces bestowing a condescending look on me and strides out. Right.

His world.

His rules.

My legs wobble unsteadily and I collapse against the wall breathing deeply to prevent the panic attack that’s waiting to blow up.

This was going to be an absolute joy.

I sulk alone until Chanyeol finds me worried out of his wits.

"What are you doing here? Isn't the class over already? I was scared some creep had kidnapped you" he shrieks and I shudder as I remember the nightmare again.

“Who would be crazy enough for that Yeol?”

“Honey you are too cute to be walking alone” he retorts.

"I talked to him" I say as if that should explain the whole deal.

"And?" he prompts impatiently.

"Basically I am his for the whole semester or lord knows how long! Yeol are all good looking men such s?” I groan.

Wasn't this blackmail? I mean where was the logic? What if it had been a girl? Would he have bullied her as well? Could I possibly take it to the Chairwoman? Oh wait I totally forgot the part where she was his mother. Perks of being born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

“No. I’m never an ” he insists.

“Cause your parents and I raised you well” I tease and he puts me in a choke hold.

"You should just get a sugar daddy" he notes thoughtfully and I chuckle uncontrollably.

"You know that doesn't sound so bad at the moment" I sigh and he smacks me.

"I'll kill him first and then you" he threatens.

"Dumb Yoda" I giggle hugging him.

He was the dose of sunshine that I needed in my life constantly. No matter what Chanyeol always brightened me up and he was the kind of person who would never bother you with his own problems but accept all of yours as if they were his. For the people he loved every day was beautiful because of him. His fiercely protective and kind nature made your happiness his priority. It was my aim to be half the man he was and whenever I said that aloud he silences me by saying he was enough for the both of us.

“I am so tired” I whine as the exhaustion hits me.

“Let’s get you home then” Chanyeol says pulling me along with him.

Kyungsoo and Jongdae are lying on the couch watching the reruns of the Goblin TV show that I had promised to see with them. I flop down between them cuddling Jongdae and he ruffles my hair.

“You’re late for our marathon. Did you forget?”

“No I was stuck helping the others with their assignment” I mumble, mortified to tell him the story.

“You sure were” Chanyeol snickers and I glare at him. The last person who could find out about this was Kyungsoo.

“How is the new professor?” Kyungsoo asks next to me and I start sweating bullets.

“Great!” I blurt quickly edging farther away from him.

Kyungsoo’s beatings were deadly. When we were in 8th grade I had just come out of the closet regarding being gay and got bullied daily. I hid it from them for weeks but once I came home covered in purple bruises and Kyungsoo caught me treating the bleeding cuts. He pestered me persistently to reveal who they were but I made an excuse of falling from the bike and thought the chapter had been closed there. Little did I know he had started following me whenever I was on my own.

The seniors had just shoved me into a bathroom stall when Kyungsoo emerged from the empty stall. He told the senior to stop the senseless bullying but the dude must have had a fuse switched off. Before I could see what was happening he had broken the senior’s nose and was raining down hell on him.

God knew which one of us had a black belt in hapkido. I had never seen him like that. It was genuinely scary and I had to bring Chanyeol to pluck Kyungsoo off the unconscious senior. He was called Kid Buu until we graduated and since then I never messed with Kyungsoo for more than 2 minutes.

“What’s his name? Jongin might know him” he continues, oblivious.

“I don’t think so. This is his first teaching gig” I stammer badly.

“If he’s good enough to teach this soon then Jongin could have trained him” he clarifies.

“Indeed” I laugh realizing this wasn’t my day.

“Sehun” Chanyeol answers instead of me.

“Sehun what idiot?” Kyungsoo repeats.

“Oh Sehun” I exhale hastily taking shelter behind a pillar.

“Oh Sehun…?” he echoes.

“Isn’t he the founder’s son?” Jongdae pipes in.

“Sadly yes.”

“That is not even the cherry on top of the cake!” Chanyeol exclaims excitedly

“Chanyeol! Don’t be that traitor” I scream.

“What kind of trouble did you both get into?” Jongdae asks eyeing us suspiciously.

“For the first time I can say this with confidence that it was not me but only Baek” he grins.

“God can’t you let me be for a second?” I whine.

“This is for the greater good my love” He smirks.

“I hate you” I cry.

“So remember Baek’s disaster from the club?” Kyungsoo and Jongdae nod in unison. “Turns out the guy is his new dance instructor” Chanyeol finishes with a flourish and Kyungsoo’s facial features become strained.

“Come here” he says gazing at me peacefully and that’s when I know how the senior must have felt.

“I didn’t know” I wail uselessly and he gestures me forward with his fingers.

“Please don’t hit me” I plead unleashing my most pitiful expression.

“Say one more thing and I’ll bury you alive” he speaks as I sit near his leg.

“Kyungja I really didn’t know. If I did I would have minded my business” I whimper as he grabs the tip of my ear.

“Well I’ve done my duty. I’ll be in the studio if you need me” Chanyeol bids goodbye.

“Don’t ever come back” I shout at his retreating figure and he hoots.

“Why is it so hard for you to..?” Kyungsoo begins and I realize it’s going to be a long night, probably my last as well.

The next morning Chanyeol arrives early holding two cups of my favorite coffee and I ignore him, climbing into the cab I had booked.

“Where are you going? he yells, tapping the closed window.

“Ajusshi please move I’m going to be late” I guide the driver and enjoy Chanyeol fumbling on the sidewalk. Serves him right. I couldn't believe how quickly he had thrown me under the bus yesterday. So much for being soul brothers.

"You're dressed warmly for this weather son" the old driver conveys beaming at me through the mirror.

"Actually I am sick ajusshi." The beanie was to mask the blaring red bump Kyungsoo had caused by flicking me until I groveled and swore to be a saint forever.

The rest of the drive is quiet and I arrive before most of the students. My first two hours were dance and my hands shook with the mere thought of it. Could I be more pathetic? Grabbing a large cup of tea from the cafeteria I loiter around in the hallways.

"Why the heck did you come in a cab when I came to pick you up?" Chanyeol questions and I pretend I don’t hear him.

"Excuse me do I know you?" I respond innocently.

"Quit being so dramatic Baek" he grunts.

"Shut up limp ! Don’t even talk to me" I snap.

"Come on that was one time!" he shouts as I march away from him.

"Still ing counts Bozo!" I yell and bump right into the wall. Stupid.

I step back and find out it's not exactly a wall but rock hard abs. Deja Vu strikes me when Oh Seonsaengnim detangles me from his body.

“Are you making this a habit Mr. Byun?" He grits and I only register the way his chest feels under my palm.